Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, I've tried Planescape Torment

Nerve Gas

Educated
And it pretty much, well, kinda sucked.
I was recommended this game and Fallout time and again, by people I had a high opinion of on various forums. I was also told about this site, and it's supposedly exquisite taste in RPGs.
So, I gave Fallout a try, but gave up on it quite soon. It just wasn't engaging, the graphics were poor, and whatever, I didn't like it.
Planetscape Torment, on the other hand, seemed like it could be a fun game. So I gave it a try.
Cool starting movie, although it left me WTFing for a moment. What was going on there?
The character creation seemed nice, at first. The first step was choosing stats. Nice. It used the same system as Baldur's Gate, so that's always a plus. I decided to play a mage, so I put most of my points in INT, DEX and CON. And then I pressed next.
WTF? That was it? No choosing your class? Not even choosing your appearance and name? What's up with that? Is this supposed to be a fucking RPG?
So I talk to the skull, Morte, way too long for a goddamn starting conversation in an RPG. It would be cool if this was an adventure game, but really, RPGs should be more like Baldur's Gate, not goddamn Syberia or The Longest Journey.
The skull becomes a party member, cool, but it seems he can't be customized because he's a skull. WTF again?
I get out of the mortuary, having fought all the guys upstairs and NOT having fought the zombies. I suppose the designers were trying to be original, like "we have rooms full of zombies but they are friendly, isn't our game soooo cool because of that?".
I'm supposed to find Pharod, but apparently nobody knows. And to figure out who actually knows, I have to read pages and more pages of text. Really, if I knew that the game was like that I would have rather read the BG novels again instead. Or jumped off a bridge (not sure which is worse).
So I find him, and he sends me into a dungeon, to find some artifact. Boy, how original... :roll: Inside the dungeon, there are dozens of zombies, skeletons and all those stuff. Really, they were fun the first couple of games, but enough is enough.
Any reason why I should continue playing? Enlighten me, oh experts of RPGs. Is it at least half as good as BG 2? I wouldn't even dare compare it to BG 1.

sabishii

Arbiter
WTF? That was it? No choosing your class? Not even choosing your appearance and name? What's up with that? Is this supposed to be a fucking RPG?
i no rite, u cant even chang the size of ur nose like in oblivion!

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Let me be the first to

1188661142219rj9.jpg

obediah

Erudite
Nerve Gas said:
And it pretty much, well, kinda sucked.
I was recommended this game and Fallout time and again, by people I had a high opinion of on various forums. I was also told about this site, and it's supposedly exquisite taste in RPGs.
So, I gave Fallout a try, but gave up on it quite soon. It just wasn't engaging, the graphics were poor, and whatever, I didn't like it.
Planetscape Torment, on the other hand, seemed like it could be a fun game. So I gave it a try.
Cool starting movie, although it left me WTFing for a moment. What was going on there?
The character creation seemed nice, at first. The first step was choosing stats. Nice. It used the same system as Baldur's Gate, so that's always a plus. I decided to play a mage, so I put most of my points in INT, DEX and CON. And then I pressed next.
So I talk to the skull, Morte, way too long for a goddamn starting conversation in an RPG. It would be cool if this was an adventure game, but really, RPGs should be more like Baldur's Gate, not goddamn Syberia or The Longest Journey.
The skull becomes a party member, cool, but it seems he can't be customized because he's a skull. WTF again?
I get out of the mortuary, having fought all the guys upstairs and NOT having fought the zombies. I suppose the designers were trying to be original, like "we have rooms full of zombies but they are friendly, isn't our game soooo cool because of that?".
I'm supposed to find Pharod, but apparently nobody knows. And to figure out who actually knows, I have to read pages and more pages of text. Really, if I knew that the game was like that I would have rather read the BG novels again instead. Or jumped off a bridge (not sure which is worse).
So I find him, and he sends me into a dungeon, to find some artifact. Boy, how original... :roll: Inside the dungeon, there are dozens of zombies, skeletons and all those stuff. Really, they were fun the first couple of games, but enough is enough.
Any reason why I should continue playing? Enlighten me, oh experts of RPGs. Is it at least half as good as BG 2? I wouldn't even dare compare it to BG 1.

Maybe you should go hang out at IGN or gamespot. I think you will get much better advice about games to try there.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yes, we all know that Fallout was nigh unplayable at the time of the release, not to mention these days. Lack of bloom... that absolutely sucks.

As far as Torment is concerned, I am inclined to agree.This game is a huge piece of garbage, it's too difficult for me to understand...
Reading all these blocks of text tires me. That's one of the reasons why I have never read those printed pages, fastened along one side and encased between covers... Hmmm...They're called books, I suppose...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nerve Gas, have you tried Oblivion? I have heard it's a wonderful game with a living world, has the right amount of dialogues and a perfect storyline to suit you. Try it, and visit ESF if you don't believe me.

oh, and here is a link to a screenshot of another wonderful rpg

Nerve Gas

Educated
JoeDirt said:
folks, that's how good trolling is done.
Yes, because any diverging opinion is trolling. :roll: OMG you got me.

Nerve Gas, have you tried Oblivion? I have heard it's a wonderful game with a living world, has the right amount of dialogues and a perfect storyline to suit you. Try it, and visit ESF if you don't believe me.
Yes, I have tried Oblivion. It was fun but nothing compared to classics like BG.

Yes, we all know that Fallout was nigh unplayable at the time of the release, not to mention these days. Lack of bloom... that absolutely sucks.

As far as Torment is concerned, I am inclined to agree.This game is a huge piece of garbage, it's too difficult for me to understand...
Yes, I agree. Or, are you being sarcastic? Very funny.

Nerve Gas said:
JoeDirt said:
folks, that's how good trolling is done.
Yes, because any diverging opinion is trolling. :roll: OMG you got me.

Yes, I have tried Oblivion. It was fun but nothing compared to classics like BG.

If your not a troll or an alt, then you are the very reason every person here at the Codex is such a cynical, snarky, bastard. To be assaulted by shit throwing monkeys who cant read a few sentences to enjoy such an amazing story, turns you into, to borrow a line from a fellow bunch of cynical bastards "a glittering gem of hatred". So my reply is fuck you sir, fuck you in the ear. :evil:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Nerve Gas said:

OF COURSE I am being sarcastic. The problem is, I find it hard to believe that YOU AREN'T.

Mayday

Augur
Nerve Gas said:
WTF? That was it? No choosing your class?
Tough luck! It's surely not an RPG because you're not allowed to play a dwarven ninja cartographer in this one! Maybe it's a racing game then? Or a dating sim!
(well, to be honest it sometimes really IS a dating sim).

Nerve Gas said:
Right. They could have at least let you choose a cool tattoo for him!

I would have rather read the BG novels
Oh my.
I would have rather read the BG novels again
OH MY.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Observe ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A:

Nerve Gas said:

Moving on to exhibit B:

Nerve Gas said:

Next bit of evidence:

Nerve Gas said:
So I talk to the skull, Morte, way too long for a goddamn starting conversation in an RPG.

And:

Nerve Gas said:

You'd think that was obvious from the beginning... :roll:

Moving on:

Nerve Gas said:

Next:

Nerve Gas said:
I'm supposed to find Pharod, but apparently nobody knows. And to figure out who actually knows, I have to read pages and more pages of text.

Next bit of evidence:

Nerve Gas said:

Neither would I. It would be quite the blasphemy...

Anyway, the evidence is clear I believe. I rest my case.

MetalCraze

Arcane
My avatar was removed and my account was suspended.

gosh, they are quick ones. waited for half of a century to do it.

what was the reason btw?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom