Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD Armors

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The Age of Decadence Armors:

Praetorian Meteor Armor:

Imperial Iron Armor:

Legionary Steel Armor:

Mercenary Steel Armor:

Gladiator Bronze Armor:

Mercenary Steel Armor Evolution:

golgotha

Liturgist
Personally, they look good enough for me. But if you're looking for critique, your metal base isn't very good, which is why it looks more like stone at the moment. There are a lot of harsh light changes (Legionary Steel Armor in particular) which make the dramatic lighting seem unrealistic. The Iron Armor reminds me much of Morrowind's Bonemold armor. Granted, its difficult to make metal look natural, especially since all the lighting/reflection would be baked into the diffuse due to TGE not supporting normal/spec mapping.

What are you using for refs?

Morbus

Scholar
They look awesome. Steel doesn't need to LOOK realistic if the armor is called Steel Armor. For me, it's fine. Now, as for the detail and stuff, well, I believe things are a lot more clear in these pics than they will be ingame, so the best thing would be to show the "in action" :P

Some of those armors do remind me of Morrowind. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's somewhat strange...

psycojester

Arbiter
all awesomes apart from the iron armour helmet. I just can't get used to that bloody thing, always looks like a cankerous cthulhu spawned pustule that blights the face of reality.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Those are exceptionally good. I hope the individual parts can be interchanged to create a more unique look. I hope I am not channeling my Oblivion fetish here.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Pegultagol said:
Those are exceptionally good. I hope the individual parts can be interchanged to create a more unique look. I hope I am not channeling my Oblivion fetish here.
Only helmets and armours are separate items. All the handplates, skirts, etc - they're parts of armours.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
golgotha said:
Personally, they look good enough for me. But if you're looking for critique, your metal base isn't very good, which is why it looks more like stone at the moment.

Maybe. Too late to change it now, though.

golgotha said:
There are a lot of harsh light changes (Legionary Steel Armor in particular) which make the dramatic lighting seem unrealistic.

In the case of the legionary armor I fully agree, especially in the soulder pads.

I had to make those light changes in order to make a ilusion of "shininess" and because of Torque horrible lightning system. Most of the design is based around the need of make the borders noticiable.

golgotha said:
The Iron Armor reminds me much of Morrowind's Bonemold armor.

Never thought of it.

golgotha said:
Granted, its difficult to make metal look natural, especially since all the lighting/reflection would be baked into the diffuse due to TGE not supporting normal/spec mapping.

Exactly. Normal mapping and especially specular make the metal shine, in a literal sense ;)

golgotha said:
What are you using for refs?

Some pics, concept art and my limited imagination.

Astromarine

Erudite
You know what I think this game needs to include on the cd if you order it instead of the digital download? A full making of, with audio explaining the process, different iterations of the graphics, etc. A commentary of the indie development process if you will. As a bonus, include a second copy of the game, compiled to use the first version of the graphics. That would make the whole AoD launch an epic event, and (I expect) give it some extra juicy coverage in mainstream mags and news. Plus it would be awesome in itself.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
So do the loremaster clothes give you any benefits or are they just for show until you find some real armor to don?

I like the mercenary steel armor. The legionary steel helmet looks like it has the texture of a rock instead of looking like smooth, polished metal. Like so.

The_Pope

Scholar
:shock:

This game is starting to look good, at least if they look anything like the renders in game.

golgotha

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were looking for critique or just letting the community see the armor they'll be using. They're not bad at all, especially taking the cameras distance into consideration. I was going to suggest using AO to bake the lighting into the diffuse to make the shadowing more natural, but I know what you mean with the shininess, its very difficult to simulate the effect on a complex object using only a simple diffuse/detail map combination.

Its the age old art vs graphics, where I believe you have the first one nailed and the second you have at a very acceptable level. The armor definitely has character, especially being that they're not the usual cookie cutter choices.

Like I said before, definitely good enough for me. Good job.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sovy Kurosei said:
So do the loremaster clothes give you any benefits or are they just for show until you find some real armor to don?

I like the mercenary steel armor. The legionary steel helmet looks like it has the texture of a rock instead of looking like smooth, polished metal. Like so.

Oh, how I would like to have especular maps... But I agree that it should be smoother.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
golgotha said:
Elhoim said:
Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were looking for critique or just letting the community see the armor they'll be using.

Oh, it's alright. ;)

It's a little of both. I won't be remaking them from scratch, but it's good to have some feedback on something that I can polish. :)

They're not bad at all, especially taking the cameras distance into consideration.

Yeah, that was an important factor when designing the armors.

Its the age old art vs graphics, where I believe you have the first one nailed and the second you have at a very acceptable level. The armor definitely has character, especially being that they're not the usual cookie cutter choices.

Like I said before, definitely good enough for me. Good job.

Thanks!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
golgotha said:
Personally, they look good enough for me. But if you're looking for critique, your metal base isn't very good, which is why it looks more like stone at the moment.

You know what? I'm changing the base metal :)

Chefe

Erudite
Those looks really good.

I'm with KC, where's the chainmail bikini? I'll also add, where's the loincloth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom