Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sucky shit problem with Planescape: Torment

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I'm in Sigil, just in front of the Mortuary, just on my way into the Fortress of Regrets. I enter the Mortuary through dialogue with one of the dustmen guards, it starts loading the FoR and suddenly, in the middle of the loading, it crashes to the desktop.

Tried restarting my comp and trying again. Nope, doesn't work. Reinstalled it. Nope, also nothing. Then I downloaded a torrent and reinstalled it with these CD images, because I thought maybe the installation from that CD was faulty. Still, the problem remains.

I tried anything sensible on that thingie, also compatibility mode. What could cause the problem? Shall I try it on another PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah I know exactly what you are talking about because I got the same crash. I simply avoided going into the Mortuary though that route.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone else had the problem that when entering the mortuary at this stage of the game the game is extremly slow and stutters, but only when being in the mortuary?

I always wondered what caused that..

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Go in by asking that guy named Pox to smuggle you in and show him how you play dead. Worked well enough for me.

That worked. It was as simple as that.
Heck, I suspected this to be more than just a mere gameplay bug.

Oh whatever, thanks for the help.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yes, that's a known bug. I remember my Dad having that problem. I never did because I always use Pox to get into the Mortuary. Or I just have my party members kill me.

Ah, now I'm remembering PS:T and all its awesomeness. It's such a great game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
jiujitsu said:
Yes, that's a known bug. I remember my Dad having that problem. I never did because I always use Pox to get into the Mortuary. Or I just have my party members kill me.

Ah, now I'm remembering PS:T and all its awesomeness. It's such a great game.

I just finished it. The ending was probably the most beautiful and emotional ending to any game or even move I've ever seen. Planescape simply is a piece of art.

"What can change the nature of a man?"

Starwars

Arcane
I've recently been replaying this game, and I keep getting crashes that I can't remember having before. I'm not sure but it seems to have to do with Cranium rats. Whenever I enter a place that has them, I will seemingly get crashes at random. Reinstalling didn't help either.

Blah.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Starwars said:
I've recently been replaying this game, and I keep getting crashes that I can't remember having before. I'm not sure but it seems to have to do with Cranium rats. Whenever I enter a place that has them, I will seemingly get crashes at random. Reinstalling didn't help either.

Blah.

It might have to do with the magic effects.

Quoting Wiki:

Wikipedia said:
During gameplay with newer video hardware, there is the possibility of corrupted graphics, especially when casting magics. The game might even crash when these errors occur. [14] [15]

One way that might help solve this problem is to configure the hardware acceleration for the video card found on the advanced properties of the display driver. Setting the slider to the third value from left (there are 7 positions), the game should work ok, but with mouse pointer trails in anywhere outside the gameplay window (inventory, statistics, options, etc. screens).

I had the same problem with all spells of lightning. Sometimes it crashed, sometimes it didn't. Was especially annoying when TTO killed Grace, and when I had to stand on the symbol of torment in my tomb.

Starwars

Arcane
Hm, that sounds very plausible. Gonna have to try that. Thanks a billion JarlFrank, I really hope this works. It's killing me to not being able to replay this game, it's been to long.

I remember my game would ALWAYS crash in the FoR if one of the shadow enemy types cast a certain spell. Or possibly any spell. The party members' death scenes were cool, but sitting through them six times each got annoying.

Lumpy

Arcane
Starwars said:
Hm, that sounds very plausible. Gonna have to try that. Thanks a billion JarlFrank, I really hope this works. It's killing me to not being able to replay this game, it's been to long.
However, I suggest you turn it off if you're playing a fighter or thief. The cursor will be really annoying and you won't see all that much magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom