Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I wish to *know* more: 20 questions on AoD

katzenjammer

Novice
VD, this game has really piqued my interest recently and so I've come up with some questions I don't think anyone's asked yet. Even if they have, a little clarification never hurt anybody, right? :P

Oh, and apologies for the almost interview-like length of this. I figured it was best to get everything off my chest in one go.

Here they are:

1) Will there be cheat codes or debug commands available in the game? If so, will they be sophisticated enough to set plot flags/variables?

2) Would it be possible to post a pic of the Options menu? I'd like to see how customizable the game is in terms of keyboard button remapping, audio/visual/interface options, turn-based combat speed, difficulty sliders, etc.

3) Any plans for a soundtrack CD? If not, will it be difficult for gamers to rip music from the game for their listening pleasure?

4) Is there any voice acting in the game at all?

5) To what extent do you expect the game to be moddable by players? Will it be difficult to create custom quests, items, characters, skills?

6) Will there be any non-interactive cutscenes (either FMVs or ones rendered in-game)?

7) Will diplomatic PCs be forced to run from combat encounters in order to remain a pacifist? i.e. Will there *always* be an opportunity for me to defuse conflicts before I'm forced into combat mode, or will even diplomats sometimes have to run like hell?

8) How do shopkeepers work? Are they like in Arcanum, where you can actually steal their items in a break-and-enter? Or is it like the BG games where if you kill the shopkeeper, their inventories are no longer available?

9) Is it possible to be defeated by enemies in combat and yet have them spare you? Since, for now at least, it appears whenever the PC wins a battle he or she can treat their combatants non-lethally.

10) Is it possible to quietly kill NPCs in a back alley without alerting guards? (Unlike in many RPGs where if you commit a crime the whole city goes aggro on your ass immediately).

11) Will there be vulgar language (e.g. FCC's 7 dirty words, racial slurs) or nudity in the game? Does the setting have its own lingo and slang, à la Planescape?

12) Will there be flirting or romantic possibilities with NPCs, and if so, will the interactions be strictly heterosexual? For comparison, I'm thinking of ToEE's gay marriage and Bloodlines' seduction options that are (sometimes) gender-irrelevant. Also, will sexual favours be a way to accomplish certain quests?

12) If it's true that works of art are often products of their times, would it be fair to say that AoD has thematic or allegorical references to the world's current political/cultural landscape?

13) Is there any procedurally-generated content in the game at all, or is everything hand-crafted/scripted?

14) Is the world of AoD patriarchal and systematically sexist? e.g. Is this a setting where women are expected to be domestic caretakers, and so a female knight PC would be an unusual thing? Or is it "anything men can do women can do just as well"?

15) What happens when the PC dies? Will we see a simple "game over" screen and the usual load/restart/exit buttons?

16) Suppose I activate Godmode and go about slaughtering everyone I meet without talking to them first. Will I be able to complete the game, or will I eventually kill some plot-important NPC that is crucial to game completion? (I ask this because I'm not sure if the game is designed in such a way that immortal NPCs are unnecessary.)

17) Is the sheathed vs. unsheathed status of weapons relevant in this game? Will the PC be harassed/greeted depending on the emblems, armor, gang signifiers, etc. they wear?

18) By power/metagaming and taking some shortcuts, players could complete Fallout in under ten minutes. Can this be done in AoD? Have any measures been taken to prevent this from happening, or is your attitude one of "people can play the game however they like"?

19) What's the largest number of foes we can expect to face in one encounter (cf. the siege in Hordes of the Underdark)? How long will enemy corpses remain on the ground after combat? Also related: Will items dropped on the ground disappear over time or will they lie there forever?

20) Can the camera angle be panned and adjusted such that we can admire our characters or look at the starry sky? When architecture obscures the player's view, does it automatically fade away? Will it be possible to play from unusual angles, say, first-person or a top-down bird's eye view?

And lastly, a bonus question...
21) Will you be including an easter egg for the credits screen where we can read obscene and perverse remarks by the developers? If not, would you please reconsider?

Please know that your time is very much appreciated and I respect the open communication you have with the people who'll be playing your games. If I can come up with any more things to ask, I'll be sure to add them here :wink:

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I'm curious about people who have such specific questions about games. What goes on in your head? Do you sit in a chair trying to picture the game in full detail? Or do you hold these kinds of questions in your head all day when you walk around, when you read game reviews, and when you play games?

Cause none of this is on my radar. Really at all. And the parts that almost might be aren't important enough for me to ever ask, so I just don't get it.

katzenjammer

Novice
Meh. I basically challenged myself today to think of as many things I could ask about the game as possible. I only brainstormed them (er, "thought-showered" them) a little while before I made the post.

No gas, ulcers, or lost sleep due to my eagerness to ask VD these questions, I can assure you.

katzenjammer

Novice
72510811ex6.jpg

Nutcracker

Scholar
12) Will there be flirting or romantic possibilities with NPCs, and if so, will the interactions be strictly heterosexual? For comparison, I'm thinking of ToEE's gay marriage and Bloodlines' seduction options that are (sometimes) gender-irrelevant. Also, will sexual favours be a way to accomplish certain quests?

I think his true agenda is revealed by this question.

katzenjammer

Novice
Nutcracker said:

I think his true agenda is revealed by this question.

It's true, I won't deny it. There better be "those" kind of bathhouses in the game or I will be sorely disappointed. :(

Fez

Erudite
I'm sorry but you will have to leave now. We have already filled the gay, pervert and furry quota mandated by internet law.

Fez

Erudite
Damn right. I don't want anyone competing on my patch, honey.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
katzenjammer said:
1) Will there be cheat codes or debug commands available in the game? If so, will they be sophisticated enough to set plot flags/variables?
Not planned.

2) Would it be possible to post a pic of the Options menu?
We don't have one yet, so I don't think it would be possible.

3) Any plans for a soundtrack CD? If not, will it be difficult for gamers to rip music from the game for their listening pleasure?
No plans/no idea.

4) Is there any voice acting in the game at all?
Not planned at the moment. We considered it (a studio offered us these services), but it didn't work out.

5) To what extent do you expect the game to be moddable by players? Will it be difficult to create custom quests, items, characters, skills?
No idea. Moddabilty was never one of the goals.

6) Will there be any non-interactive cutscenes (either FMVs or ones rendered in-game)?
Yes. In-game stuff, obviously.

7) Will diplomatic PCs be forced to run from combat encounters in order to remain a pacifist? i.e. Will there *always* be an opportunity for me to defuse conflicts before I'm forced into combat mode...
Yes. It won't always be obvious/easy though.

8) How do shopkeepers work? Are they like in Arcanum, where you can actually steal their items in a break-and-enter? Or is it like the BG games where if you kill the shopkeeper, their inventories are no longer available?
Like in Arcanum.

9) Is it possible to be defeated by enemies in combat and yet have them spare you?
Yes. Depends on the encounter though. If someone sent assassins after you...

10) Is it possible to quietly kill NPCs in a back alley without alerting guards? (Unlike in many RPGs where if you commit a crime the whole city goes aggro on your ass immediately).
Yes.

11) Will there be vulgar language (e.g. FCC's 7 dirty words, racial slurs) or nudity in the game? Does the setting have its own lingo and slang, à la Planescape?
No lingo, unfortunately (I'm not *that* good with words); some vulgar language where it makes sense.

No romances, no sexual favours.

12) If it's true that works of art are often products of their times, would it be fair to say that AoD has thematic or allegorical references to the world's current political/cultural landscape?
No. I really hate seeing such references in fantasy books/games.

13) Is there any procedurally-generated content in the game at all, or is everything hand-crafted/scripted?
Hand-crafted/scripted.

14) Is the world of AoD patriarchal and systematically sexist? e.g. Is this a setting where women are expected to be domestic caretakers, and so a female knight PC would be an unusual thing? Or is it "anything men can do women can do just as well"?
Mostly patriarchal, but women are not limited to domestic caretaking. See Dumas' Milady, a very powerful Cardinal's agent (The Three Musketeers) for some analogies.

15) What happens when the PC dies? Will we see a simple "game over" screen and the usual load/restart/exit buttons?
Similar to this: link

16) Suppose I activate Godmode and go about slaughtering everyone I meet without talking to them first. Will I be able to complete the game, or will I eventually kill some plot-important NPC that is crucial to game completion? (I ask this because I'm not sure if the game is designed in such a way that immortal NPCs are unnecessary.)
There are no plot-critical NPCs. There is more than one way to acquire plot-critical info.

17) Is the sheathed vs. unsheathed status of weapons relevant in this game? Will the PC be harassed/greeted depending on the emblems, armor, gang signifiers, etc. they wear?
Yes.

18) By power/metagaming and taking some shortcuts, players could complete Fallout in under ten minutes. Can this be done in AoD? Have any measures been taken to prevent this from happening, or is your attitude one of "people can play the game however they like"?
Any way you like.

19) What's the largest number of foes we can expect to face in one encounter (cf. the siege in Hordes of the Underdark)? How long will enemy corpses remain on the ground after combat? Also related: Will items dropped on the ground disappear over time or will they lie there forever?
Seven. When you leave the battle location, all corpses/items are gone (buried/scavenged).

20) Can the camera angle be panned and adjusted such that we can admire our characters or look at the starry sky? When architecture obscures the player's view, does it automatically fade away? Will it be possible to play from unusual angles, say, first-person or a top-down bird's eye view?
At the moment, yes. Look for the AoD combat screen thread (page 4, I think).

And lastly, a bonus question...
21) Will you be including an easter egg for the credits screen where we can read obscene and perverse remarks by the developers? If not, would you please reconsider?
No.

Please know that your time is very much appreciated and I respect the open communication you have with the people who'll be playing your games. If I can come up with any more things to ask, I'll be sure to add them here :wink:
:salute:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
1) Will there be a garveyard with the names of community memebers on the gravestone?

2) Where is my beta download?

3) Depending on distribution methods, have you had to check out ratings? Or will it just default to unrated? If it sells a lot could this be a problem, or does it not matter? Iron Tower is a LLC right? Or is it a LLP? What is the taxes looking like in Canada? How are you going to pay employees? Do you have to issue paychecks through a roll, and pay whatever Canada's equivalent is to SSI, ect? Or are you just going to pay employees with a check and let them figure out all that tax bullshit? I liked the way PtD and whats it called(I forget the name at the moment, the action game that started taking preorders a long time ago and it still isn't a final release yet) took online payments a lot better than Spiderweb does (it fucks you on the weekends) what are you looking at?

4) Can I be on the cover?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roqua said:
1) Will there be a garveyard with the names of community memebers on the gravestone?
Yep. I think it's a must feature for every game, don't you?

2) Where is my beta download?
It's in the mail!

3) Depending on distribution methods, have you had to check out ratings?
No.

Or will it just default to unrated? If it sells a lot could this be a problem, or does it not matter?
No clue. If someone requests, demands, and insists on AoD having a rating, we'd be fine with mature.

How are you going to pay employees?
In food stamps and sexual favours.

Do you have to issue paychecks through a roll, and pay whatever Canada's equivalent is to SSI, ect? Or are you just going to pay employees with a check and let them figure out all that tax bullshit?
The latter, since most of them reside outside of Canada.

I liked the way PtD and whats it called(I forget the name at the moment, the action game that started taking preorders a long time ago and it still isn't a final release yet) took online payments a lot better than Spiderweb does (it fucks you on the weekends) what are you looking at?
At the most efficient options. If you pay now, I don't want you to wait for more then a few minutes. It's not a promise, it's what we are looking at.

Yes. Please post your naked picture in all your glory. We'll not post any "it was really, really cold" disclaimers though, so don't even ask.

Lumpy

Arcane
1) Can I be a pure evil villain focused on burning everything in his path and asking for money from every single nobleman employer?
2) Are those screenshots fake or are you and your graphics really that pathetic?
3) How hard will the game be? Will in-game hints and a walkthrough NPC be toggleable or will they be forced? I hope for the former, even though I'll probably use them anyway.
4) No anthropomorphic animal races? Who are you trying to sell the game to anyway?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Quote:

Yes. Please post your naked picture in all your glory. We'll not post any "it was really, really cold" disclaimers though, so don't even ask.

I suck at the internet. I had a funny picture but I don;t know what I'm doing.

edit: there was a link I couldn't get to work, so I removed it. In case you read the above and thought I was crazy.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
Or will it just default to unrated? If it sells a lot could this be a problem, or does it not matter?
No clue. If someone requests, demands, and insists on AoD having a rating, we'd be fine with mature.
I guess that means it'll be Indexed in Germany. Oh well, I'll import it anyway.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wish to know a bit more:

1 ) What's the final word on vignettes?
2) A while ago, somebody suggested a horse with saddlebags for carrying phat loots and fast travel, similar to the Fallout2 car. Is this in?
3) Commenting about walking back and forth in AoD, you said that you've "tried to eliminate all redundant tasks", and it seems that you confirmed multiple map markers for each location a la Fallout and ToEE's Hommlet (which is wonderful). What other measures have you taken?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sitra Achara said:
1 ) What's the final word on vignettes?
We neither removed them nor modified the original concept.

2) A while ago, somebody suggested a horse with saddlebags for carrying phat loots and fast travel, similar to the Fallout2 car. Is this in?
Nope. We thought about it, but decided against it.

3) Commenting about walking back and forth in AoD, you said that you've "tried to eliminate all redundant tasks", and it seems that you confirmed multiple map markers for each location a la Fallout and ToEE's Hommlet (which is wonderful). What other measures have you taken?
Can't think of anything else at this point. We often teleport you instantly to your destination. For example, in that assassins quest that was described in the RPG Vault article, you get the quest at the assassins guild and told to go to the inn after dark. If you agree, when you click ok, we teleport you to the inn and it's already dark (the night map), so you don't need to walk around or wait/sleep.

Seboss

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
We often teleport you instantly to your destination. For example, in that assassins quest that was described in the RPG Vault article, you get the quest at the assassins guild and told to go to the inn after dark. If you agree, when you click ok, we teleport you to the inn and it's already dark (the night map), so you don't need to walk around or wait/sleep.
OMG! ITS TEH LINEAR!!11!
Now, seriously. I think that's nice. This way, you can't accept the quest and just walk away from it for weeks à la TES. I hope this doesn't take out too many opportunities to run into interesting random encounters.

What do you mean by often btw? Could this mean that if a quest requires me to specifically travel from one point to another, I might expect a scripted encounter on the way? If that's so, I might get a bit suspicious about that kind of quest.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Seboss said:
Vault Dweller said:
We often teleport you instantly to your destination. For example, in that assassins quest that was described in the RPG Vault article, you get the quest at the assassins guild and told to go to the inn after dark. If you agree, when you click ok, we teleport you to the inn and it's already dark (the night map), so you don't need to walk around or wait/sleep.
OMG! ITS TEH LINEAR!!11!
Now, seriously. I think that's nice. This way, you can't accept the quest and just walk away from it for weeks à la TES. I hope this doesn't take out too many opportunities to run into interesting random encounters.

What do you mean by often btw? Could this mean that if a quest requires me to specifically travel from one point to another, I might expect a scripted encounter on the way? If that's so, I might get a bit suspicious about that kind of quest.
We don't have random encounters in towns and we "teleport" you only within a town area. So, if you have a quest to travel to another town and do something there, you'll have to get there all by yourself.

Lumpy

Arcane
Hah - let's see what all those Codexers who complained about Oblivion's fast travel have to say about that.
Myself, I think it's a great feature, as long as it's used reasonably. You should let the player get supplies when it could be necessary.

galsiah

Erudite
The main issues with Oblivion's fast travel are:
(1) Incoherence: manual travel is dangerous, automatic travel isn't - even though the character has travelled by the same means. [compare to the coherent fast travel of Morrowind]
(2) Design implications: no need to put much effort into area X if many/most players will only see it once. In a game that champions [the option of] exploration as a major strength, this sucks.

Hopefully things are reasonably coherent in AoD. If it's usually impossible to get from A to B without five bandit attacks, then teleportation seems dodgy; if such encounters are rare, or can usually be avoided, it's not bad.
AoD isn't championing a go-anywhere-do-anything exploration aspect, so that's no great issue.

I'd rather there were the option to delay things a little though. It's all well and good that a quest won't wait around forever, but I'd rather not have the only options be "Go right now" and "Refuse quest". An "I need to take care of some stuff first" option is always nice. The player should usually have the option to delay as long as makes sense - but no longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom