Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex 1 & 2

Grifthin

Educated
Are they considered RPG's ? I got Dues Ex 2 last night and I'm rather looking forward to playing it now. Aparantly there's some decent C&C (I hear) and some fun Loot. What's codex verdict on the game ? Shit ? Not shit ? Rpg ? no rpg ?

Suchy

Arcane
Actually Deus Ex has more RPG elements than some of the "real" RPGs. Good story, C&C, skills that matter. DX1 is fucking awesome, while DX2 is not bad. It's just shit when compared to the original.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Deus Ex could be considered an RPG depending on who's definition you used. Personally I think of it as a shooter with RPG elements, but it's still a damn fun game. Play it.

DX2 sucks. Stay far away from it.

Dionysus

Scholar
I'd say that Deus Ex qualifies as an action RPG. The sequel is less of one, because of the streamlined character development (no skills).

Suchy

Arcane
If games like The Witcher, Gothic or Risen can pass as RPGs, then DX definitely is an RPG. Action-RPG that is.

J1M

Arcane
If you like FPS games and you want to see why Deus Ex is not a shooter, play Project: Snowblind. Set in the same universe, but certainly not an RPG.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Suchy said:
Actually Deus Ex has more RPG elements than some of the "real" RPGs. Good story, C&C, skills that matter. DX1 is fucking awesome, while DX2 is not bad. It's just shit when compared to the original.
This.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Deus Ex is bound to be one of the most significant gaming experiences you're going to have.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Reject_666_6 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Jaesun said:
Dicksmoker said:
Suchy said:
This.

Yeah. DX2 gets a lot of hate, but its fairly decent, though sadly not a patch on the first.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Imbecile said:
Reject_666_6 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Jaesun said:
Dicksmoker said:
Suchy said:
This.

Yeah. DX2 gets a lot of hate, but its fairly decent, though sadly not a patch on the first.
Never actually played either, I just want to fit in

Multi-headed Cow

I BELIEVE THAT DEUS EX IS ACTUALLY BANAL BORING SHIT

EXAMPLE: BAD AI LOOK AT ME I'M SHUFFLING AROUND WHILE YOU SHOOT ME PEW PEW PEW

EXAMPLE: I SPEEL MY DREENK

EXAMPLE: IT HAS A SWIMMING SKILL

EXAMPLE: HE IS WEARING SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT

IN CONCLUSION DEUS EX IS A BAD GAME THAT WAS RAISED TO THE STATUS OF CLASSIC BY THE GAMING MEDIA TO JUSTIFY THE CONSOLETARDATION OF RPGS. THEY CAN JUST POINT AT DEUS EX AND SAY "LOOK, RPG AND IT IS CLASSIC AND IN FIRST PERSON" AND EVERYONE WHO LIKES DEUS EX IS CONTRIBUTING TO FALLOUT 3. THANK YOU.

DraQ

Arcane
Deus Ex sits exactly atop of the fence separating FPS and RPG. It's an awesome game, though its use of the acclaimed unreal engine is underwhelming (visually, other aspects show much attention to detail, including things like smoke triggering laser sensors and laser sight reflecting off mirrors).

It's sequel is widely considered banal, shit, boring, though.

Elwro said:
And don't play DX 2
Excess fluff removed. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Deus Ex sits exactly atop of the fence separating FPS and RPG. It's an awesome game, though its use of the acclaimed unreal engine is underwhelming (visually, other aspects show much attention to detail, including things like smoke triggering laser sensors and laser sight reflecting off mirrors).

Elwro said:
And don't play DX 2

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Dicksmoker said:
We need some counter opinions!

The C&C in DX is actually superficial and not worth all the praise.

One of my favourite games tho so fuck off, also DX2 never happened what are you talking about

DraQ

Arcane

Elwro said:
And don't play DX 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom