Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's deck into the BLOODNET (Undead Version)

Mojo

Scholar
This game seems to be absolutely awesome. I wonder how many of these great old DOS gems are lost to me... shame on me for never playing it.

Awesome LP, please keep it up.

Oh, and a question: you recommended not getting the cd version because of the horrible voice acting. I don't mind the cheesy voice-overs if there are other improvements(better sound effects and music). Is that the case?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I believe the only difference of the cd version is the speech. Another drawback is that you can't have both speech and subtitles enabled at the same time. I have the cd version and I'm actually playing with the speech disabled. If you enable speech you have to stay through all the long and badly voiced dialogs.

lightbane

Arcane
I have a question: How does the combat works when you're hurt? For what I have seen it looks like it has the option of targeting body parts fallout style, but I don't know if you can for example neutralize a foe's arm to reduce his accuracv for example. Related with that, how do you regain health in this game?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Your character's portrait annoys the shit out of me. It doesn't look like his face is painted so much as it looks like he's sitting in front of a control panel on an old submarine.

BN_Stark.jpg

Or Obama.
obama_hope.png

This issue aside, I'm enjoying the LP.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
@lightbane:

Combat has a lot of skillcheks it seems, and many different stats seem to effect your ability to successfully hit of dodge with different attacks. BUT the interface and the overall structure make it so you basically try to have all your party members aim at the torso of an enemy and hope you kill him before he kills you. At least that's what seems the best choice at this point, since my skills aren't that good. Stats seem to increase after battles and generally when you use them. Stats can decrease at certain points also.

For healing, there are certain drugs you can use, a hospital you can visit and finally you can rest for some hours if you want. Stark is different though, since he has a special attack where he can bite the enemy during combat. This is rather useful as he can regain health, satisfy his bloodlust with minimum lost of humanity, and harm -- or even kill-- his opponent.

@Lord Chambers

BN_Stark.jpg
:smug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

-=[VIII]-THE.LOST.KIDS-[VIII]=-

Welcome to Central Park AKA The Great Lawn AKA the ghetto for TransTech disgrunts, pt2.

bloodnet892.jpg

Most of the people here are just trying to sell some junk for a few virtual bucks. Petra doesn't even do this, she just wants stuff for free.

bloodnet914.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
You look old enough to be looking for a job instead of bothering strangers. How does a poor girl like you get fitted with cybernetics, anyhow ?

BN_petra.jpg
You think I want these ugly things ? A rage gang almost killed me with one of their bikes. My mother couldn't afford to take me to Bellevue. She had to rush me to a black market surgeon, a psilo blossom addict. He put these painful things on me. So don't you dare think I'm a faker. You should give me at least a power cell to make up to me.

sorry kid, but we've given enough charity already... No neo-shekels for you.

erg2.jpg

BN_petra.jpg
I hope the vampires bleed you dry.

BN_Stark.jpg
Vampires ?

BN_petra.jpg
Yeah, vampires. The great lawn is swarming with vampires, and I hope they get you.

Save your breath, they already got us... So, vampires hang around these parts, huh ? Vampires and Catholic priests , it seems.

bloodnet923.jpg
bloodnet924.jpg

THAT... SMILE... it's almost the perfect counterpart for Stark's smug !

BN_nun.jpg
Blessed Jesus protect us !

BN_Stark.jpg
No, don't be frightened. I won't harm you.

BN_nun.jpg
Keep quiet. We can't discuss it now. Not here. Meet me at my church, St. Patrick. We'll talk there. Now go. Leave me.

What the... should trust that hideous smile and go to her church ? Does she want to help us, or will she shower Stark with holy water and drive a stake through his heart ? Is she plot-critical, or can we snap her head off her shoulders and drink her up ? ...And while we're pondering these taunting questions, we bump onto Dodger.

bloodnet931.jpg
bloodnet932.jpg

BN_dodger.jpg
Just what every kid needs to grow up big and strong. --red lifters.

BN_Stark.jpg
If they want to grow up to be junkies.

BN_dodger.jpg
Save it mister. I'm here to talk business. If you can help old Dodger out and get him Lifters, I can trade you with somethin' I been savin'. Look here. It's part of a cyborg, man.

BN_Stark.jpg
I know what it is. It's a Sheehy A-series leg. What are you doing with it ?

BN_dodger.jpg
I found it during my rounds. If you're smart enough to rig this thing up on you, you'd be one ultra-techno stud. You interested in tradin' for red lifters ?

Stark doesn't deal. 'Nuff said.

bloodnet940.jpg

BN_dodger.jpg
What are you my mother ? My ma ain't been around since forever and I like it that way. Sure don't need some greaseball low-rent merc actin' like my old lady.

BN_Stark.jpg
Hey, cool down kid.

BN_dodger.jpg
Nobody could pass up that cyberleg. Why'd you turn me down ?

BN_Stark.jpg
I don't deal. Especially to kids.

BN_dodger.jpg
Is that so ? What do you do, then ?

BN_Stark.jpg
Same as you. Try to stay alive in New York.

bloodnet949.jpg

Whaadaya know. The kid has seen the light, he wants to join. Aww, let's take in the little rascal.

BN_dodger.jpg
Consider yourself a lucky man, mister. There ain't nothing I can't find and nothing I can't built out of parts.

BN_Stark.jpg
I just hope you can stay out of the pharmaceutical kit.

Maranda gives him a warm welcome:

bloodnet954.jpg

Well, his combat skills kinda suck, but his Jury-Rigging is damn good. He comes with a fine set of rig-tools (essential to assemble anything) and he also carries with him a cyborg head along with that foot...

bloodnet956.jpg
bloodnet957.jpg

We'll need these things for the King (mystary!), later. For now, let's see if he can assemble anything.

bloodnet962.jpg
bloodnet963.jpg

Flamethrower ! It seems those parts we bought earlier weren't junk after all. Any game that has a Flamethrower always rises up a notch in my book. Dodger ain't exactly a top-quality party member but he sure has his uses.

FLAMETHROWER!
Uh, yes...As we turn to leave, Chris Tucker suddenly jumps on us.

bloodnet969.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
What are you, about twelve years old ? Beat it.

BN_julious.jpg
I ain't no kid. I'm a businessman. Take a look here. I bet you need one of these.

BN_Stark.jpg
A dermal filament... Where'd you get it ?

BN_julious.jpg
I got connections. I know every dumpster all over this city.

BN_Stark.jpg
Smells like it.

BN_julious.jpg
You want this or not? Only 200 bucks.

Well we've picked up all other junk we came across, and Stark seemed somewhat impressed, so let's grab it.

BN_julious.jpg
Smart man. You got an eye for quality. That's why I'm gonna let you see the good stuff. You got a pretty lady friend ? I got some nice jewelry.

BN_Stark.jpg
Like what ?

bloodnet983.jpg

This little pin is of big importance actually. It will help us reach Hellfire's club inner sanctum. We can get another one later, but both have their uses. So yes, we'll buy this one too from the little rat. Now let's-

bloodnet965.jpg

Damn, bloodlust is rising. How about decking into the C-space ? Maybe we won't get the urge for blood while we're in there... WRONG ! Bloodlust still rises, but we have reason to go into the net. We can now access Deidre's Well... Remember that little talk we had with our implant ? We know that her address is "hope" and now with our newly found samurai soulbox, we can access it.

:DECKS:

bloodnet1623.jpg

And here we are !

bloodnet1624.jpg

I'm sure Stark would like to enter all of Deidre's "wells" , but for now he'll have to settle with this one... and her Journal ! Journals are essential , as TNO knows all too well. Let's snoop into her personal notes...

bloodnet1625.jpg
bloodnet1627.jpg

Red Knights... friends or foes ?

bloodnet1629.jpg
bloodnet1632.jpg

And the Incubus is for real. AND it's the ultimate weapon. AND Van Helsing is after it. Great. Also, it seems the story about the kids we heard from Chrysalis is true. Somehow this seems appropriate. (I was gonna post this, but really, Waters + Morricone kick their ass)

bloodnet1634.jpg
bloodnet1636.jpg

I guess that someone is Stark. Are you ready dawg ?

BN_Stark.jpg
I'm as ready as a data angel when he's ready to get pulverized by a horny Incubus.
2z5vsph_th.gif

Uh, right... And with these wise words we bid you farewell for now.

bloodnetexit.jpg

EDIT : wtf. I think Satori's post was assimilated by Bloodnet. Anyway,
2z5vsph_th.gif
is by Satori.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
So good game, finished it three times. Maybe you find how to make wireless decking unit. This shit torments me for years.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently working on the new version of my PST UI mod , so there will be no decking for a while.

BUT... I'll be back !

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

HEY HEY HEY HEY ...
HEY HEY HEY HEY ...

WE'RE BACK IN BLOOD !

BACK IN BLOOD-NET , YEAAHHH !!!

Ok, so I have all these pics lying around, and I'm bored. What I'm gonna do ? - I'll give you another chapter of this ill-fated , slow-paced , almost abandoned, LP. The only problem is that I don't remember what the hell I've done up to now, what quests I have been given, what am I supposed to be doing... It's all a blur. I can't remember shit. I'm sure you remember even less.

Hey, maybe our trusty-handy-dandy implant can help with this. Isn't it supposed to be storing all this data somewhere in Stark's vast and near infinite brain ?

BN_Inplant.jpg
Indeed. Actually, I have a recording you've made for yourself in case you've somehow lost your memory.

BN_Stark.jpg
Heh, that's me, always planning ahead.
smug.png
Let's hear it, imp.

" I know you feel like you've been drinking a few kegs of Styx wash, but you need to CENTER yourself. Among your possessions is a PORTABLE COMPUTER that'll shed some light on the dark of the matter. Your IMPLANT can fill you in the rest of the chant, if it's not fried up already."

" Stark, you have been afflicted with Vampirism from Abraham Van Helsing. Yes, he is a VAMPIRE and one of the high-ups of TRANSTECH corporation. Your implant is all that keeps you human, but not for long. You need to find DEIDRE TACKETT as soon as you can. She's the one that created your implant and she is somehow involved with this Vampire Conspiracy."

" What we've learned so far is that :
  • The rumors about the INCUBUS, the ultimate icebreaker, are true. Deidre, created it, and as soon as she understood its vast power, she decided to hide it in CYBERSPACE, with the help of a band called the LOST KIDS. These kids decided to leave their bodies and merge their minds with the matrix so they can protect the Incubus.
  • Van Helsing knows about the Incubus and wants to get hold of it and use it for his own ends. He has learned the whereabouts of Deidre, from none other than yours trully (not our best of moments, eh, oldboy ?). Whether he's captured her or she's gone into hiding, is unknown, but we need to find her soon. We owe her our life, don't forget that.
  • In order to do so, we've gathered up a band of misfits/bastards/mercenaries/hackers/babes/badasses/. We've also allied ourselves with the KAFKA conspiracy, a group of anticorporate-pseudointellectual fags that fight against TransTech. They want us to get a transmitter for them, to prove our loyalties, bah.
  • Another alliance we've made, is with the people of the trash warrens (yeah, we're in such deep shit that we need help from homeless bums). They want us to get them a fiber-optics cable right from the TrasTech HQ. For that purpose, they've set up a meeting with an Angel named Lenora Major at the cafe Voltaire. She can get us recognized as TransTech employees.
  • Among other things :
    - We've learned that an entity called ZEUS (with a really mean disposition) is looking for us in the Matrix.
    - We've received an invitation for the HELLFIRE club from an old pervert. Many TrasTech people are known to dwell there.
    - We've met Cyril Thorpe, a decker with almost god-like powers.
    - We've received a strange note that needs deciphering.
    - We've learned the possible whereabouts of Ludwig Samson, Deidre's former associate.
    - A nun with a satanic smile wants to help us... or kill us. If we go to her church we'll find out which it is."

" Look among your possessions and you'll find a lot of weapons, cyborg parts, deck parts, random junk. They may, or may not, be useless. Do not tell anyone untrustworthy about your VAMPYRIC CONDITION, or they'll put you on a quick pilgrimage to the crematorium. Do what I tell you and you may get to see another day."

BN_Stark.jpg
No wonder my back hurts. What's all this junk I'm carrying around ? ...Uh, anyway, let's get this show on the road.

-=[IX]-MEAN.DISPOSITION-[IX]=-

Before meeting with Lenora Major, maybe we should pay a visit to the local Hospital. This is one of the few places where we can heal our party.

bloodnet_485a.jpg

Our gang has things to say about this place :

bloodnet_996.jpg
bloodnet_997.jpg

This is the ward for the Burnouts. The cybercrisps. Those that stayed too long in cyberspace and received brain damage. Stark almost ended up here himself once, so he must be sympathetic.

bloodnet_494.jpg

His wife is sitting next to him. Let's bother her with questions.

bloodnet_499.jpg

BN_Charleyswife.jpg
Yes, this is Charley. I lost him about eight months ago. You have no idea how much I've missed him.

BN_Stark.jpg
Just decked one too many times , eh ?

BN_Charleyswife.jpg
Oh, no. Charley was one of the best deckers in the business. Made a great living at it too. Now people say his luck run out, but I don't buy that. My Charley was never sloppy. Someone got to him, I know it.

BN_Stark.jpg
Anyone made an attempt to go in after him ?

BN_Charleyswife.jpg
Only con artists who say they want money to find him, but nobody can do that. If Charley was the best and somebody got him, who's good enough to go after the pieces of his mind ? I'm afraid I've lost him forever. Now, if you don't mind I'd like to be left alone.

Hmm, maybe all Charley wanted is "piece of mind" (hurr durr) Maybe we'll find out something in one of our deckings, who knows. Further on is the examination room where we can treat injuries, but we don't need to right now. So, let's go find miss Lenora at the cafe Voltaire.

bloodnet_1002.jpg
bloodnet_1001.jpg

Let's see how we're doing...

bloodnet_1005a.jpg

36% bloodlust ? Our comrades necks are starting to look yummy. I wish we could suck some rats dry, but Stark is something of a Ventrue I'm afraid. We'll deal with that later, now we should turn our attention to Lenora.

bloodnet_1006.jpg

She sure is intelligent.

BN_Lenora.jpg
What do you want ?

BN_Stark.jpg
Name's Stark. Woman in central Park by the name of Kimba told me you could help me out with my TransTech troubles.

Stark just entered his telegraph-speech mode.

BN_Lenora.jpg
Yeah, Kimba told me to expect you. So you check out. But it's gonna cost you 25.000 dollars. It's well worth it and I'm not in the mood to hear any complaints. You prepared to pay now ?

GOTDAMIT. 25.000 beautiful virtual dollars ?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND, WOMAN ??!!!!!
... ... ...ok, I'll pay.

bloodnet_1014.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
Yeah, I got it. But I sorta feel like I've sold out. Went to the other side.

BN_Lenora.jpg
Not if you make sure to use what you find to screw those fascist bastards. Now, you must have at least a SAMURAI soul box to have the essence imprinted into your Matrix. My WELL location code is MAJOR. See you there, Stark.

A samurai soul box we have. ENTER THE MARTIX, NEO

bloodnet_1030.jpg

That face is creepy. Let's use our FATS browser.

bloodnet_1046.jpg
bloodnet_1050.jpg

That sounded like an innuendo. If you're wondering why we see her as a dragon, it's her dragon souldbox we see as an avatar.

bloodnet_1051.jpg

But I came as soon as I cou-

bloodnet_1053.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
I guess so.

Time to see some serious hacking take place.

Code:
TT\: COPY STARK.* TTSCMAIN.FILE
C:\ ARE YOU SURE (Y/N) Y
STARK.EXE
STARK.MEMORY
STARK.INLGENCE
STARK.PRSNLITY
STARK.PHYSICAL
STARK.MENTAL
STARK.HABITS
STARK.EGO
STARK.SEX
C:\ ALL FILES COPIED

yep. we paid 25.000$ for a copy-paste routine.

BN_Dragon.jpg
Well, that's it, Stark. You're in. Things should be easier at the Brooklyn HQ. Unless you're stupid enough to be caught red-handed, you shouldn't get hassled much now that you're imprinted into the matrix. Pleasure doing business with you, Stark.

BN_Stark.jpg
I'm sure it was
smug.png

bloodnet_1074.jpg

Yes, finally, the tables have turned! So, we happily drift for a while in cyberspace...

WHEN SUDDENLY

bloodnet_1081.jpg

Oh, great.

bloodnet_1082.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
And just who chose you as exalted ruler ?

BN_Dragon.jpg
Do not mock me ! I know who you are, Ransom Stark. I've tracked you. I know of your pathetic attempts to infiltrate TransTechnicals, your feeble information pirating.

BN_Stark.jpg
Oh, really ?

BN_Dragon.jpg
You are no more than a byte in the vast realm of cyberspace. I have done great deeds in the net. MY POWER IS UNSURPASSED !

BN_Stark.jpg
Then what do you want me for ?

bloodnet_1087.jpg

BN_Stark.jpg
Then get out of my way.

BN_Dragon.jpg
I will, but only if you have the courage to settle this like men.

BN_Stark.jpg
Settle what ?

BN_Dragon.jpg
SILENCE ! You must pay for your transgressions against me, the Great One. I thought nothing would ever give me more pleasure than the network, but I believe something will. Watching you die at my hands in New York...

BN_Stark.jpg
Listen pal, you're not making any s-

BN_Dragon.jpg
...I want to see your feeble form beaten to a pulp and hear you beg for mercy. You talk big, Stark. If you have any guts and any pride left, you'll appear at my home base at NYU, otherwise you'll be the laughing stock of Cyberspace. You win, you'll get all my equipment and information, but fat chance that happening. Enjoy this cyberspace trip, Stark. It will be your last.

Huh, this Zeus guy is Xtreme. But he's messing with a guy who's so extreme, even his smug can kill. What does our crew think about this ?

bloodnet_1094.jpg
bloodnet_1095.jpg

Yeah, I think we're bad enough dudes to make Zeus our bitch. Anyway, let's drift a bit more in C-space... Hey, what's this ?

bloodnet_1113.jpg

Damn. We actually found a PIECE of Charley's mind... And a while later, we find another one ! Hmm, right now it seems that's all we can find on the net. The other 3 pieces must be somewhere else. Maybe we'll bump onto them later...

Well, that's it for now. Next time we'll be visiting Zeus to grab collars...

bloodnet_1120.jpg

NYU dormitory, what the hell ? If Zeus is some geek-punk-ass student he's gonna get his ass kicked sooo hard. Anyway, till next time...

... and by next time I mean sometime in the next month(s). Maybe.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Damn, it's been forever since I played this. But the one thing I do remember is the lulzy distorted perspective: All the avatars look like midgets compared to the over-sized backgrounds!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom