Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let us languish in Sanitarium (completed)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Re: Let us languish in Sanitarium

Jim Cojones said:
Brother None said:
...Yes, he uses the towel to slide down the line.

This is why I don't really like adventure games all that much. They always rely on this...diagonal logic that really only makes sense to adventure gamers.
At least it wasn't a rubber chicken.

Exactly. First time around that's where I gave up on Monkey Island. I like to love many of the stories these games have, but this diagonal logic thing gets me every time. I already know this game'll have pixel hunting in it too.

ghostdog said:
How many bibles do you own?

Three. None of 'em have a Psalm 4:51. And neither psalm 4 nor psalm 51 are about the gates of heaven. I honestly have no idea what the game's getting at here.

ghostdog said:
That's probably Max's car ;)

Huh...well spotted.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
This is an awesome LP!

I'll warn you though, you're coming up to the only spot in the game that had me stuck. Yes, it's a pixel hunt. I think it's the only one in the game.

lightbane

Arcane
But ever since I spent half a year volunteering at an orphanage in Russia I've been way more sensitive to stories involving kids, especially orphan kids. This stuff...this stuff is seriously fuck up man Sad

And that's awesome.

Then you will be happy because it will get WORSE and WORSE, kids suffering/in pain/mistreated is a constant theme in the game...

EDIT: Specially disturbing if you happen to have a little brother/sister, you will understand what I mean...

denizsi

Arcane
ghostdog said:
You should give a try to Silent Hill 1. It's definitely the most disturbing game I've played. I've thought about making an LP but it wouldn't do it justice, it's a game that must be experienced.

Not to mention Silent Hill has branching and multiple endings.

Luzur

Good Sir
i always had a plan to try this game, but Baldurs Gate came in between and i forgot about it.

if im lucky the old game shop in town still got their copy of Sanitarium up on the used games shelve, but its been some 2 years since i was there last.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, when we last left our hero, Max, he had just heroically beaten a bunch of kids at hide-and-seek, finding one hiding amongst the corpses of their dead parents (presumably?) and dug up a child's corpse. Truly Max is as close to a pure Герой нашего времени as we can get in this era.

There seems to be no obvious way to proceed, and this is where I got stuck previous times playing, so this time I'm resorting to a bit of walkthroughisms (not too much, but truth is I'm no hero at adventure games, and always need one sooner or later). Here's a nice hint provided by the game, though:

update3-003.jpg

Need something to "fish it out with", eh? Subtle. A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

So, apparently the game wants us to steal a little kid's fishing rod because, y'know, not fucked up enough yet. Remember Timmy mentioned he hadn't been to church because the bell hadn't been rung anymore, and no one can ring it because that little shit Dennis cut the rope. How to ring a bell without a rope? Pick up a rock.

update3-004.jpg

That rock. It's not horrible as pixelhunts go, the rock is pretty obvious apart from the other rocks, but still fuck pixelhunts.

update3-009.jpg

Right, use rock on bell and Timmy comes running in.

update3-013.jpg

update3-zorak.jpg

We take it. Because we're just bad-asses that way.

update3-017.jpg

And literally fish out the massive, metal cross. Impressive.

update3-021.jpg

While checking with some of the kids I find out Eileen might've been telling fibs, and actually only beat Jessie 5 times, not 7. Bizarrely enough, this is actually important to know.

update3-025.jpg

First looked door reveals the cardboard fort. Cool.

update3-026.jpg

And the old store. Nothing of interest there but an old gas can.

So how to cross the broken bridge? Why, use the kid's ride you broke on the water to act as a stepping stone. Makes perfect sense!

update3-031.jpg

Max seems to think it's funny.

And hey, a new kid, hanging around near the pumpkin patch everyone's so scared off. Max note's she's "half-worm" but I don't know what the heck he's basing that on, she just seems to have a root growing out of her back.

update3-034.jpg

maria.jpg
Sure, mister. I don't get many visitors.

tbo.jpg
May I ask your name?

maria.jpg
My name is Maria ... Maria Santiago.

Maria Santiago would continue her video game character career as Dom's wife in Gears of War. Sad.

tbo.jpg
(Where) Where are we? What's the name of this town?

maria.jpg
There is no town. Not anymore.

tbo.jpg
(Anymore) What do you mean, not anymore?

maria.jpg
There was town, before Mother got here. People were happy ... Everything was fine ...

tbo.jpg
Before your mother came to town? What do you mean?

Oh FFS, Max, stop being so obtuse. You *know* who Mother is by now.

maria.jpg
You're new here ... you just don't understand.

tbo.jpg
(Understand) No, I don't understand. You're only confused me more ... Could you explain it to me, start at the beginning?

update3-047.jpg

tbo.jpg
(Newspapers) I've read the old newspapers in the Town Hall, Maria.

maria.jpg
Oh Good! You've found it. What do you want to talk about now?

tbo.jpg
(Adults) I haven't seen any adults in this town. Where are they? Where are your parents?

maria.jpg
I'm sorry, but Mother has forbidden us to talk about them.

tbo.jpg
(Who) I keep hearing about 'Mother', but it doesn't sound like she's anyone's real mother. Who is this person?

maria.jpg
She's resting right now ... otherwise I wouldn't speak to you. You're right, though ... she isn't anyone's real mother! She's really ...

Really what? Really fat? Really ugly?

tbooface.jpg
What is it Maria?

maria.jpg
I think she's waking up! I can't talk anymore! Mother will hear me and get awful mad!

tboshepard.jpg
But ... oh, damn it!

tboshepard.jpg
(Forbidden) Forbidden? But why? Why can't you talk about your parents?

maria.jpg
Please don't be mad! I'd tell you if I could, it's just that ... well ... I'll be punished again if I do.

tbo.jpg
(Punished) Punished how?

maria.jpg
The pumpkin patch. She'll have me put in the pumpkin patch again. It's a terrible place.

tbo.jpg
It doesn't look so bad from here.

maria.jpg
Once you're inside ... everything turns bad.

tbo.jpg
(Again) You've been in there before?

maria.jpg
Yes. The others dragged me in there.

tbo.jpg
The other children?

maria.jpg
They did as they were told. Mother wanted to teach me a lesson.

tbo.jpg
(Lesson) What lesson, Maria?

update3-069.jpg

:( Just...fuck you, game, alright. Fuck you.

tboshepard.jpg
That's ... that's horrendous! How could she do such a thing to a child?!

maria.jpg
It's OK ... it's not so bad now. I'm kinda used to it. Anyway, once Mother wakes up, everything will be better.

Feh. If I have anything to say about it, that She-Bitch won't be waking up at all.

tboshepard.jpg
OK?! What do you -

maria.jpg
Please ... I don't wanna talk about it anymore. I've already said too much.

tbo.jpg
(O'Toole) The newspapers mention a preacher, named O'Toole ... did you know him?

maria.jpg
Yes. He was real scared about the comet. I remember him saying at church that God was made about the pumpkins, and that he was gonna punish us for taking advantage of the land.

tbo.jpg
(Comet) A comet ... is that what happened here? Did the comet somehow make the plants around here grow so wild?

maria.jpg
Mother told us that the comet was a sign of Her coming, a sign that we were special children.

Well that was downright joyful. Let's try and get into the Pumpkin Patch.

update3-080.jpg

I have no idea what the combination is. Let's ask Maria.

tbo.jpg
(Patch) What's the deal with this pumpkin patch? There's a lock on the gate.

maria.jpg
To keep everyone out! It's a bad, bad place.

tbo.jpg
Why is it so bad? It's a little overgrown, but it looks OK -

You're a fucking retard, Max.

maria.jpg
It's dangerous! Mother grew it keep us kids away while she rests. She said that us kids should stay outside 'til she's rested and ready to play with us.

update3-091.jpg

maria.jpg
I'm not supposed to tell ... I mean ... yes.

tbo.jpg
So I need to go through the pumpkin patch to talk to Mother ... but first I have to get past the gate.

maria.jpg
But it's locked.

tbo.jpg
(Combination) Do you know the combination?

update3-096.jpg

tbo.jpg
I'm not sure ... I'll have to think about it.

That's not too hard. Jessie even told us in the correct order: Meg beat her 4 times, Eileen 5 times, and me once...

update3-106.jpg

And it opens up...only that doesn't fucking make any sense, since I assume this lock's code was put in before I beat Jessie, so she'd have been beaten 4, 5 and none times. Oh well.

update3-112.jpg

Pick up a scythe. Fuck yeah, armies of darkness, come get me.

And that's what they do. I get picked apart by the crows, and unsure of what to do, die. Dying doesn't mean much, you get kind of absorbed by the ground and respawn, all Nameless One style.

update3-119.jpg

So yeah, just hack at the crows. Splatter, baby!

update3-128.jpg

A bit up, the Scarecrow comes to life in hellfire! Oh yeah! I got plenty of practice on your crow lackies. Bring it, bitch!

update3-130.jpg

Oh.

So direct attacks are not the way to go. You have to get rid of his magic pumpkins first.

update3-136.jpg

I died again here, but it doesn't matter, neither crows nor pumpkins respawn.

update3-147.jpg

Die in a fire!

tbocharming.jpg
Got him! Guess he thought it was better to burn up than fade away.

update3-facepalm.jpg

Look, just...leave the corny action one-liners be, k?

update3-152.jpg

A solid metal, glowing comet. That spells D-O-O-M.

Nearby we also find a generator but it lacks gasoline (!), and we break open a tractor take yank out the jumper cables 'coz that's what adventure gamers do.

We head into the barn.

update3-167.jpg

What?

update3-168.jpg

What?!

update3-169.jpg

AAAAAH!!!

update3-170.jpg

AAAAAAHHH!!!

update3-spaceballs.jpg
PIZZA THE HUTT?!!?!

Oh hush.

update3-172.jpg

Fuck, look at that thing. Well, we can talk to it.

update3-174.jpg

Charmed, I'm sure.

tbooface.jpg
My God ... what are you?

mother.jpg
I am beyond your understanding, human. However, you may call me what the children do ... Mother.

tboshepard.jpg
(Mother) Mother?! I should call you what you are, nothing but a disease!

Fuck yeah. Now you're talking my language, Max.

mother.jpg
Mind you tongue, human. I am more parent to these seedling than you or anyone else could be.

tboshepard.jpg
(Seedlings) These aren't your seedlings, they're children! Flesh and blood! Don't you see that?

mother.jpg
I see, and it disgusts me! Animal sacks filled with loose cells - it's a wonder you don't burst. What an inferior vessel for the spirits of these children.

Fact: only animals have loose cells.

tboshepard.jpg
(Why) But why have you done this?

mother.jpg
The children were in danger.

tboshepard.jpg
Danger from what? You've done more harm than -

mother.jpg
Than what? You? The meat called Jeddah showed me how harmful your kind can be, as did the one called preacher.

She has a bit of a point, Jeddah killed half his own family and the preacher was inciting a blind panic.

tboshepard.jpg
(Jeddah) Jeddah? I saw his name on the pumpkin patch sign ... what does he have to do with all this?

mother.jpg
He made me see the evil of your kind, how destructive you are. Jeddah preyed upon his own child, making her suffer, and die.

mother.jpg
The entire town turned a blind eye to Jeddah's crimes, and I watched. The people's vicious disregard for Carol's safety was no less a crime than her father's!

tboshepard.jpg
So you killed them!?

mother.jpg
Their own inner chaos would have destroyed them eventually. I only expedited the event, set things in order.

tbo.jpg
(Carol) Why were you so concerned about Carol?

mother.jpg
She talked to me when no one would listen. I tried to communicate with them but ... Carol's voice was like music to me. She was my favorite, and I failed her.

tboshepard.jpg
(Preacher) How does the preacher figure into all of this? What could he possibly have done?

mother.jpg
He was a superstitious fool. He spread paranoia and fear, swaying the others away from rational thought. The humans put their trust and faith in him, and followed. When the preacher assured them that Jeddah wasn't a real threat to Carol, they listened.

tboshepard.jpg
(Weeded) If you're as omnipotent as you seem to think you are, then why haven't you 'weeded' me out also?

mother.jpg
In due time, little meat. For now you are of little consequence to me.

tboshepard.jpg
(Meat) My name is Max, not meat.

mother.jpg
Your name is meaningless. An animal noise. And you are nothing more than a bag of meat.

tboshepard.jpg
If you truly feel that way, then why have you spared the children? Aren't they meat, too?

update3-204.jpg

tboshepard.jpg
(Salvation) And you think that you can offer them salvation?! What conceit!!

mother.jpg
It is not conceit! After I complete their transformation, the children will be one with me, forever! That is their salvation!

In case you're wondering, this is what the town's name, Genet, was a subtle clue to. Not sure if the developers actually expected anyone to get the reference.

tboshepard.jpg
(Transformation) Transforming them into simple plants? You call that salvation?

update3-209.jpg

tboshepard.jpg
(Weak) If my flesh is so weak, then why are you so afraid of me?

mother.jpg
Afraid?! Of you?! Hah! You overestimate yourself!

tboshepard.jpg
I think you're the one who overestimates yourself, you perverse, bloated egomaniac!!

update3-213.jpg

And she knocks Max out of the barn with a flick of her root.

Man, this Mother is actually a complex character, with a twisted but noble logic behind her actions...

...let's kill it :twisted:

update3-221.jpg

Conveniently, when she knocked Max out of the barn she also - er - dropped a wrench.

Heading back into town, it's now possible to confront the children about Mother.

tboshepard.jpg
(Mother) Yes, I know about Mother. I've seen her - she's not human! Don't you understand what she -

maria.jpg
Mother is ... good. Mother is the way. Mother protects us from ... meat who would harm us. The meat must be killed so that the seedlings may grow. We're all ... seedlings.

tboshepard.jpg
Meat?! What are you ... Maria? What's wrong with you?

update3-247.jpg

For some reason the above text would flash out in half a second. I was lucky enough to grab a screencap.
Anyway, once confronted, you can't talk to the child anymore. With Mother awake, they barely have a grasp on their humanity. You can confront every child, but I'm not going to. Just a sample response:

tboshepard.jpg
(Mother) I know about Mother. I've seen her - she's not human! Don't you understand what she -

marty.jpg
Mother is good. Mother is the way. Mother protects us from the meat. M - E - E - T. The meat must be killed so the seedlings can grow. K - I - L - L. We're all Mother's seedlings.

tboshepard.jpg
Grow?! Is that was she told you, she's helping you grow? She's killing you! She's -

update3-268.jpg

tboshepard.jpg
But Marty! Wait, I -

marty.jpg
Go away! I don't want to talk to you!

update3-273.jpg

Dennis with a predictably bratty response.

Moving on, let's get the fuel to get the generator going again. I feel a plan brewing!

update3-276.jpg

:oops: Good point.

update3-277.jpg

Luckily our wrench enables us to get one here.

update3-282.jpg

Sanitarium: siphoning fuel from crashed cars.

update3-290.jpg

The fuel gets the generator up and running. We can then hook up the jumper cable from the tractor.

Nothing to clip it onto, though. Hmmm...

update3-296.jpg

Ha-ha!

update3-300.jpg

And hook up the cable to the cross.

update3-304.jpg

Fry in hell, bitch.

update3-308.jpg

Bwahahahaa!

Nearby, a heavenly gate has opened, and Maria is standing there.

update3-312.jpg

tbo.jpg
Yes, but ... where are we going?

update3-316.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Dying doesn't mean much, you get kind of absorbed by the ground and respawn, all Nameless One style.
After all Max can't die in his own delusional nightmare... or can he ? :shock:

Good stuff, keep em coming.

lightbane

Arcane
And so the Mother was a sort of Hydra wannabe. Still, Max is badass enough to fry an Old One by himself and without becoming insane (except if he was already insane, because he's dreaming... right?)

PS: And that was only the beginning, the sick stuff starts NOW.

lightbane

Arcane
I was refering to Hydra, the wife of Dagon, you know, the CAll of Chtulu and stuff, because she's a sort of mother for the Deep Ones, and is an inhumanly ugly bitch that's enormous as well (and require a puzzle to be killed too, and it even suffers from a similar shocking death!)...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
lightbane said:
I was refering to Hydra, the wife of Dagon, you know, the CAll of Chtulu and stuff, because she's a sort of mother for the Deep Ones, and is an inhumanly ugly bitch that's enormous as well (and require a puzzle to be killed too, and it even suffers from a similar shocking death!)...

Oh, the Mother Hydra. Yeah. Considering Sanitarium is 7 years older than Call of Cthulhu, I think "Hydra wannabe" is a somewhat poorly chosen term if you're referring purely to physical similarities. The lore similarities seem a stretch; Mother is not a progenitor, she's the basis of clonal colony, and has no relation to Gods or mythos, and is not spawning but rather converting children.
She's a plant and the Genet reference is obvious enough, it seems to me any relation to Cthulhu mythos is unintended/in the eyes of the beholder.

Unless there's some Cthulhu references I missed. I didn't see any.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elwro said:
So the lock combination was the psalm number?

Yeah, I guess. Would explain the non-existent psalm reference. But the hint seems to be this:
update3-021.jpg

Dunno. Maybe if you go into town and ask another kid he'll refer you to the psalm as the hint.

Strewn with hints!

PS: I forgot to point out that this game suffers from mirrored pixel disease. Notice how the uncovered leg switches on the Scarecrow depending on if he's facing left or right.

Longshanks

Augur
Great read. Was planning on replaying this soon, but may just read through your LP instead, got too many other games to get through.

And, seeing as your AG-hating self (just been reading through your favourite games thread on NMA :wink:) is playing through an Adventure - I'd suggest you play a couple of the classics:

The Last Express - set on the Orient Express in the lead up to WW1. One of the greatest, most immersive and best looking games I've played (the art nouveau visual style holds up very well). Some of the best writing of any game, with quality VA (in English, Russian, French, Serbian and German). There are few of the usual inventory type puzzles. Even has some C&C. The game does have its frustrations, and could do with more gameplay, but anyone interested in quality should at least try it. I can understand it not suiting all tastes, but if it gets on your wavelength, you'll be in for an awesome experience.

Grim Fandango - skip the other Schaefer and Lucasarts games if you like. As this is the pinnacle (full throttle and day of the tentacle are good, but somewhat overrated). Ignore the whining over the controls, never understood it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I only had vague knowledge of this game before, but seeing this LP, it definitely is far more unsettling and creepy than I thought it would be.

The whole circumstances of it - ending up in a car crash, waking up in a madhouse with a guy banging his head on the wall, finding a recording that implies some very grave purpose you are being used for, being picked up by an angel, being put into a town with fucked up looking children who talk of a Mother, and finding Mother herself...

If I were Max, I wouldn't be making a Sheperd face at that creature, I'd be shitting my pants.

lightbane

Arcane
Here's a gameplay video for the interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU_ECy3Q0Y

Also, for the interested, you may click in the credits option at any moment in the main menu, even these are disturbing...

PS: And again, it will become more and more disturbing... *inhuman laugh as he slowly melts in a pool of blood, slipping away to the darkness*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom