Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: The Calling

Warden

Arbiter
I read it all! Very nice review, TNO.

Azarkon said:
"In the absense of Light, shadows thrive."

But,

How can there be shadows without light?

WHOA THIS IS DEEP.

Good point.
This whole DA world seems juvenile; from naming to lore..

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Hümmelgümpf said:
The word "light" being capitalized should tell you everything you need to know about the writing in DA.

This. Is amazing how one can tell exactly the level of quality just from the capitalization of one single word, but true.

TNO said:
Review, you say?

:literaryfag:

:D :D :D

On the whole, it reads better than most fanfiction.

That's not really a compliment, though. And I'm not sure Gaider has higher aspirations than this, either--crapping out dumb fanfiction-esque generica aimed at Bioware fans seems to mark the pinnacle of his life achievement.

Quilty

Magister
Lesifoere said:
crapping out dumb fanfiction-esque generica aimed at Bioware fans seems to mark the pinnacle of his life achievement.

Let's not be unfair. There's the toupee as well.

TNO

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
Isn't that the point? He's a loser that got powerful, and now the awesome Revan has to kick his ass so he doesn't forget it

There's stupid, and there's really, really, really stupid. The 'lets send a stream of enemies after this guy one by one in slightly increased titrated difficulty" sequence is one. The fact Bastila can run around upper Taris with her lightsaber out in front of the Sith troops meant to be hunting for her is another. That Malak, when he has the drop on our hero with his ship immobilised infront of their ****-off large battle ship, he doesn't simply nuke it (so what if he loses Bastila? He's got an unstoppable superweapon.) That he keeps delaying you so he can 'unleash the full fury of the starforge' at you and get you in a bind where you die to his infinite respawn droids of doom. But you can just bash the door to the exit grid and walk away. And so on. He wasn't just short-sighted, brash and unintelligent, he was game developer idiot.

Anyway, even if Malak is a Palin level idiot (IQ =80, btw. Lol) the rest of the Sith, assumedly, are not idiots. But they are, cos it's bioware.

DraicKin said:
I'm pretty sure I'm abandoning my KotOR LP, so if you want to take over, feel free to do so.

Hmm... tempting, although I'm quite busy atm.

P.S. OMFG I've just seen the end of the F3 LP. How the... what the fu- ... Screw being a medical student, I'm going to write shitty stories for AAA titles. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in something that a writer got paid for.

That's not really a compliment, though. And I'm not sure Gaider has higher aspirations than this, either--crapping out dumb fanfiction-esque generica aimed at Bioware fans seems to mark the pinnacle of his life achievement.

[Wisdom] It was a deliberately back-handed complement (if someone told me my writing was generally better than fan-fiction, I'd flame em.) I'm english, we like elegant not-obviously-offensive stuff like that.

More seriously, I think BW should just hire some freelancers to do the novels (hell, Games Workshop routinely wanks its fandom by having community short story competitions) they wouldn't be anything good, but they'd be functionally mediocre, and they wouldn't risk damaging the reputation of your in-house writers as, well, people who can write. Failing that, use a ghost writer.

P.S. First lines of Gaider's first DA novel. DA: Stolen throne.

“Run, Maric!”

And run he did.

His mother’s dying words whipped him into action. The image of her grisly murder still burning in his mind, Maric reeled and plunged into the trees at the edge of the clearing. Ignoring the clawing branches that scraped at his face and clung to his cloak, he blindly forced his way into the foliage.

:facepalm: :Literaryabortion:

No, just no. I take back the offer of doing a let's read of this barring provision of a lifetime supply of hookers and blow.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Zeus

Cipher
I haven't read the chapter, but Dragon Age sounds fairly generic. It's a shame, too, because when I think dark fantasy, I think horror, and when I think horror, I think of the unknown.

I don't remember the last time any news about Dragon Age surprised me. Like TNO said, elves are elves. Anyone remember Anson Maddocks' design for the original Llanowar Elves? You see something like that and think, "Woah, that guy's a freakshow. Wonder what his deal is." It looks like the kind of elf who'd chew you down to bones and turn you into fertilizer. The elves in Dragon Age: Origins... heck, the whole game seems about as much a "Dark Fantasy" game as Alpha Protocol is a "Roleplaying" game. Yes, it's gritty, dimly lit, and according to the ESRB, mature. But that doesn't make it the least bit interesting or unusual. It's like that Lord of the Rings RPG on Gamecube with blood filters turned on.

P.S. Yay, 200 posts. :D

TNO

Augur
I would review this, but it is just as bad as before, so there isn't really anything else to say.

Clockwork Knight said:
Thousands upon thousands of games are guilty of this. I tend to see it as a gameplay thing

Fair point, but KOTOR I think takes the michael with this mechanic. Especially when it is _harder_ to sent your forces in piecemeal then send them in all at once to whomp the player.

Elzair

Cipher
There is no way in hell I am reviewing or even reading this! I have already done my duty for Codexia! Someone else must take up the cause!

TNO

Augur
Yes, it's worse. I might review this bit too, once I get pressing deadlines out of the way.

Or you provide me with copious hookers and blow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom