Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima Underworld 2: World 6 Pits Of Carnage! 1/2

Divinity: Original Sin
Silellak said:
Unkillable Cat said:
I began to see the cracks in their plan about 2 hours into Ultima 8.

Then the whole thing shattered like a mirror when Ultima 9 finally rolled round.

Yeah, the worst part about Ultima 9 was that all the fantastic and sometimes subtle build-up in the previous games amounted to jack shit in the end.

Though Ultima 8 had its flaws, it was at least coherent with what came before. I liked it a lot, even being an ultima fan that played the previous ones. And after it was patched, it became a good game. It had great things in it. And for me, the only thing that bothered me really was the save and load times. I finish in the 1st playthrough the game without the patch, so imagine how many loading and saving I had to go through in those stones in the water that you had to jump. And it was that kind of installment that makes a preparation for what was coming.

Then, ultima 9 starts in avatar's house on earth.

Sometimes I wish the fans would finish those ultima 9 remakes. even if they're bad if ever released, probably it would be better than the original.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ultima 8 is very incomplete too. Like they had a plan for a ultima 7 like world, but with much more difficult to get zones, but they ran out of money.

There are simply not enough quests and points of interest, even combing the gamezones.

Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
Ultima 8 is very incomplete too. Like they had a plan for a ultima 7 like world, but with much more difficult to get zones, but they ran out of money.

There are simply not enough quests and points of interest, even combing the gamezones.

I just consider it a shorter game. And the world of pagan, though small, had great atmosphere. The incomplete feeling is more due to the lack of the expansion lost vale, which would focus on the zealans. I loved that world that public executions, summonig rituals and sacrifices, diferent factions based on the elements. The game felt unique.
The lore in this game is great. And the charachters were memorable. maybe because of this new take it was less accepted.

the game was buggy, lack many features from U7, like interactivity, NPC portraits, companions, being a female, but these never bothered me at the time.
And had the best midi music ever.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree about the atmosphere, but the uses for non combat spells for instance was very limited. There are hints all over that the game should have more things to do, from a truth spell (the air titan i think) to the spells from Myrtan (sp).

And its a fact that you see most of the scripting/quests in action if you just follow the main quest. That is not a mark of a replayable game (though i did play it three times at various times).

Additional content from the lost valley wouldn't save most of the game if they didn't go back and add massively to the already existing world.

made

Arcane
Initially I was very disappointed with U8, mainly because it broke with many traditions of the previous titles. No party? No Victiorian English? Action sequences?

In retrospect however, it's a pretty decent, if certainly flawed and incomplete, game - a classic case of "missed potential". Nonetheless, it succeeded in portraying an alien, dark world with more depth and atmosphere than the current generatoin of RPGs.

I'm still holding out for that remake, Pentagram, which should feature higher resolutions a la Exult and hopefully a fix for the atrocious inventory management (proably my biggest gripe with the game).

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
uw2_000mrhogswart.jpg

Part 8: World 5 - Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Now a LP adaptation!

blackadder.jpg
It's Potter time!

georgeww1.jpg
No it isn't.

scintillusacademy.jpg

Part 8: World 5 - Scintillus Academy of Magic.

Now totally inspired from the Clue Book!

georgeww1.jpg
Talorus was a bit too easy wasn't it?

baldrickww1.jpg
Sir, I have a cunning plan to make the game more difficult.

georgeww1.jpg
Let's hear it Private!

baldrickww1.jpg
Well, we could throw the Avatar into this world with nothing but her spellrunes and map, as well as some light for the readers to see.

georgeww1.jpg
Oh, bravo, yes! More space for the loot I say!

This is bovine feces.

uw2_001start.jpg

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Scintillus Academy":

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=4481005&song=Scintilius+Academy

I appear in what appears to be a waiting chamber. There is a mage standing in front of me.

uw2_002elstertalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I am neither a professor nor a student. I am Helicopter, the Avatar.

*The mage pauses and gives you a sly look. Clearly he finds your claim suspect.*

elster.jpg
Of course thou art. My name is Elster, class of 607. Or, uh, I would have been, had I passed the exam.

helicopter.jpg
So you failed it, then?

elster.jpg
Uh, well, no.

*He seems somewhat embarrassed.*

elster.jpg
When it came right down to it, I, uh, chose to postpone my examination. This is only the pre-exam staging area.

helicopter.jpg
Then why art thou still here?

*Elster glowers.*

elster.jpg
I am here because no one has come to release me. That button on the wall is suppose to bring assistance. This is the final examination for the Scintillus Academy of Magic -- only those who have successfully completed nine years of undergraduate study at the Academy may take the final exam and earn their Bachelor of Magery.

helicopter.jpg
Bachelor of Magery? Dost thou mean a B.M.?

*Elster does not seem amused.*

elster.jpg
'Tis an old and tired jest you make. I wouldst have though the Avatar to possess more of a refined wit.

helicopter.jpg
Why didst thou choose to delay thy examination?

*Elster looks around quickly before answering.*

elster.jpg
Because I do not believe I wouldst survive. The final exam is a series of mazes and deathraps, which has claimed some of even the best students. And, to be honest, I am not one of the best students.

helicopter.jpg
Can you tell me anything about the exam?

elster.jpg
We undergrads are told nothing of the exam, save that it is difficult and deadly. Although...

*His voice drops to a whisper.*

elster.jpg
... I once briefly overheard two graduates discussing it. 'Count over from the red squares.' I think is what they said. I have no idea what that means, of course.

helicopter.jpg
Please continue.

elster.jpg
I have been waiting in this blasted waiting room for sixty-three years now; that button on the wall is suppose to summon a faculty member, but 'tis obviously broken. I am troubled that no one has come to check on me. I fear that some disaster may have befallen the Academy up there on the surface.

helicopter.jpg
Is there not any way out of here?

elster.jpg
The only way out is to take the exam. I know that some day soon I shouldst take the plunge, but the thought fills me with such dread that for now I am content to stay and wait to be rescued.

helicopter.jpg
Thou art a coward, Elster. Sixty-three years is too long to wait!

*Elster sighs sadly.*

elster.jpg
Thou art correct. Sixty years, and I have not been able to summon the courage to step through the door. Thou shouldst try the exam yourself, Helicopter. Surely thou art a braver soul that I.

uw2_003familiars.jpg

The waiting room has an area to keep familiars.

uw2_004vending.jpg

A vending machine, as well as a recycling machine: you can exchange an empty bottle for a gold coin.

uw2_005rules.jpg

Before the examination entrance, there is a scroll case with the exam rules:

1. Anyone caught cheating on the exam will be ensorcelled and expelled.
2. All items are property of the academy. Please leave them for the next student.
3. This is partially a test in the judicious use of mana. You will not be allowed to regain mana after the first section.

georgeww1.jpg
As a bonus to the readers, we have invited a very special professor to comment and grade the Avatar's performance in her exam.

professor.jpg
A pleasure. Let me go over the undergraduate... She's going in unarmed and unarmoured with only an incomplete Runebag, a map and 2 light sources?

professor.jpg
Dead in thirty seconds I'll say.

georgeww1.jpg
Nonsense! She'll pull through!

Section I: Lateral Reasoning

uw2_006s1.jpg

professor.jpg
Let us begin...

The Avatar easilty deduced the connections between the three pressure plates and the three portcullis.

helicopter.jpg
This reminds me of EOB!

uw2_007s1left.jpg

Putting the golden coffer on a pressure plate, she entered the gates starting from the left.

uw2_008s1rune.jpg

The left passage leads to a dead end, with a TYM (Time) rune floating in the air. This is a Rune of Stasis, a paralysing spell.
Since there is little of interest, the Avatar could have returned back to the start, or remove the trap with Dispel Rune, by touching it from a distance or throwing something at it.

uw2_009s1trap.jpg

Instead, she decides to walk right into it. She was instantly paralysed, and stuck on a pressure plate under the rune which triggers a trap that fires crossbow bolts at her.

uw2_010s1trap.jpg

By the time she can move off the plate, Helicopter has taken several bolts into her unarmoured body, severely wounding her.

Traps like this is meant to weed out the dumbest of petitioners. This trap would have killed a normal person but a normal person would not just walk into obvious traps. She's off to a terrible start.

Points are deducted for stupidity.

uw2_011s1mid.jpg

The middle gate leads to a room that spawns mongbats.

uw2_012s1mongbats.jpg

The Avatar picked up the enchanted mail leggings in the room and ran away from the mongbats. A good choice as she is weaponless.

uw2_013s1exit.jpg

The right gate leads to the teleport to the next section.

Total time: 2 minutes, 47 seconds
Starting Mana: 104/104
Spells Used: None
Ending Mana: 104/104

georgeww1.jpg
I suppose it could be worse.

Section II, Part 1: Equilibrium and Non-Local Causality

uw2_014s2.jpg

uw2_015s2river.jpg

professor.jpg
Helicopter started off sliding on slippery ice to the east into the river. A mistake many students make.

uw2_016s2button.jpg

After she climbed out of the river, she slide her way east to a button. She pushed it, which opened a gate to the North.

uw2_017s2sword.jpg

She helps herself to weapons and equipment left behind by previous undergraduates. Including a couple of wands that she couldn't identify. The Avatar doesn't seem to be skilled in lore.

uw2_018s2gate.jpg

The opened gate. Pushing the button saved mana from casting the spell open.

uw2_019s2pack.jpg

Making her way east on the slippery ice, the Avatar finds a pack which allows her to carry more stuff.

Section II, Part 2: Synchronization

uw2_020s2bridge.jpg

Helicopter choose to simply dash across the moving bridge to the exit and got struck by an arrow. By now she is severely wounded and she casts heal to repair some of the damage.

Points are deducted for not attempting to dodge the projectiles.

uw2_020s2Zmap.jpg

A map of Section II.

Total time: 10 minutes, 52 seconds
Starting Mana: 104/104
Spells Used:
Healx1 = 12 Mana
Ending Mana: 92/104

Section III: Psychokinesis and Terraforming

uw2_021s3.jpg

uw2_022s3wand.jpg

professor.jpg
Helicopter picked up the wand of Telekinesis at the start but was unable to identify it, nor did she try it out to find its use.

uw2_023s3lava.jpg

uw2_024s3lava.jpg

She entered the main test chamber and was able to see the buttons on both sides of the wall thanks to her very bright spheres of light.

uw2_025s3wand.jpg

The student leapt from pillar to pillar until she found a wand of Name Enchantment.

uw2_026s3identify.jpg

This time she tried it out and found out the identity of the wand of Telekinesis.

uw2_027s3lava.jpg

The Avatar quickly deduced that by pressing the correct buttons with telekinesis, she can raise the correct pillars leading to the exit.

uw2_028s3exit.jpg

Ignoring the sign, Helicopter exited the Section but the wand of Telekinesis was magically confiscated from her as she left.

Total time: 5 minutes, 47 seconds
Starting Mana: 92/104
Ending Mana: 92/104

Section IV: Spatial Reasoning

uw2_029s4.jpg

professor.jpg
The Avatar starts in the southwest corner of this "staircase maze."

uw2_030s4maze.jpg

uw2_031s4maze.jpg

It is filled with monsters. Not too tough, but enough to test the combat abilities of candidates. Most of whom are properly armed and armoured when they took the test.

uw2_031Zs4kill.jpg

Despite her lack of combat abilities, Helicopter chose to kill everything in the maze.

uw2_032s4Anwmap.jpg

She fights her way to the Northwest Tower.

uw2_032s4nw.jpg

Which has a skeleton.

uw2_033s4nwkey.jpg

Guarding a key.

uw2_034s4light.jpg

While traversing the maze, her light sphere wears out.

helicopter.jpg
I should switch to torch to conserve my remaining light sphere.

uw2_035s4valor.jpg

Some monsters are too difficult for her to handle so she casts Valor to boost her combat skills. This is a more economic use of mana than simply casting direct attacking spells.

georgeww1.jpg
No animated lightning bolts? :(

uw2_036s4sekey.jpg

In the Southeast Tower she finds another key.

uw2_037s4Amap.jpg

She finds the exit in the northeast sealed by two doors.

uw2_037s4exit.jpg

The two keys found in the towers opens the doors.

I award her extra points for killing everything, but doing this costs her valuable mana.

helicopter.jpg
Pretty well equipped now. Found quite a number of wands as well.

Total time: 18 minutes, 7 seconds
Starting Mana: 92/104
Spells Used:
Valorx2 = 12 Mana
Healx3 = 36 Mana
Ending Mana: 44/104

Section V: Effects and Constraints

uw2_038s5.jpg

uw2_039s5pole.jpg

professor.jpg
The Avatar picks up the pole near the start.

uw2_040s5map.jpg

uw2_041s5switch.jpg

She notices the pressure plates in front of the three switches on the western part of the room. But choose not to touch anything. Must have learnt something from her previous mistakes.

helicopter.jpg
It's a trap.

uw2_042s5southdoor.jpg

She tries the southern door, but it is locked,

uw2_043s5northdoor.jpg

She then enters the unlocked northern door.

uw2_044s5chain.jpg

It leads to a locked portcullis with a pull chain on the right of the wall. She finds a moonstone lying on the floor which she pocketed.

uw2_045s5skeleton.jpg

Our candidate pulls the chain and was rewarded with a hostile skeleton. Which is easily taken down now that she is fully armed and dangerous.

uw2_046s5switch.jpg

She returns to the main room and flips all three switches from afar with the pole without touching the pressure plates.

georgeww1.jpg
Could have tried jumping over those pressure plates.

uw2_047s5northopen.jpg

This unlocks the south door. Had she triggered the pressure plates, they would have reseted the switches.

uw2_048s5chasm.jpg

The southern door leads to a chasm with a button on the right wall. Behind the chasm is a key.

uw2_049s5lookdown.jpg

She looks down the chasm and notices some items below. Strangely enough, she does not appear to be able to look down at a further angle. Had she done so, she would have seen the headless waiting below her.

uw2_050s5push.jpg

She fell for the trap and pushed the button before jumping across the chasm.

uw2_050s5Zjump.gif

What the button does is create an invisible forcefield just after the chasm, which she jumps right into. Landing right beside the headless.

uw2_051s5headless.jpg

Good thing for her she had the runes for Valor prepared. The buff allowed her to kill the headless which would normally have slain her.

uw2_052s5key.jpg

She enters a teleport that takes her back up and picks up the key.

uw2_053s5gate.jpg

Which unlocks the portcullis to the exit.
By now the Avatar is severely wounded and low on mana.

Total time: 8 minutes, 49 seconds
Starting Mana: 44/104
Spells Used:
Valorx1 = 6 Mana
Ending Mana: 38/104

Section VI: Risk Avoidance

uw2_054s6.jpg

uw2_055s6map.jpg

professor.jpg
The first part of this test has a locked door to the northwest with four pillars in the centre of the room.

uw2_056s6pillars.jpg

The pillars have yellow tiles at each side.

uw2_057s6center.jpg

The centre of the pillars holds a key with the remains of previous candidates as well as some suspicious arrows.

helicopter.jpg
It's a trap.

She keeps saying that.

uw2_058s6yellow.jpg

Helicopter approaches a yellow tile.

uw2_059s6headless.jpg

Stepping on the tile conjures a peaceful headless.

uw2_060s6key.jpg

After stepping on all four yellow tiles, she picks up the key which triggers the trap; arrows were fired at her from all sides but the four headless absorbs them, killing two.

uw2_061s6killheadless.jpg

The Avatar appears to be a bloodthirsty loon who kills the surviving two headless with the aid of Valor.

uw2_062s6door.jpg

With the key, the Avatar enters the second part of the test:

uw2_063s6maze.jpg

A teleporting maze.

uw2_064s6exit.jpg

Gold tiles allow her to exit the test but she choose to ignore them.

uw2_065s6teleport.jpg

Blue tiles are teleports leading to another part of the maze.

uw2_066s6secret.jpg

While in the maze, she discovers a locked secret door, casting open drained most of her mana.

uw2_067s6freezetime.jpg

In the secret room is a potion of freeze time. But the Avatar was unable to identify it.

uw2_068s6map.jpg

Took her a while but she cleared the maze.

Total time: 24 minutes, 38 seconds
Starting Mana: 38/104
Spells Used:
Valorx1 = 6 Mana
Openx1 = 15 Mana
Ending Mana: 17/104

Section VII: Nonreversible Processes

uw2_069s7.jpg

professor.jpg
The Avatar did well for this section.

uw2_070s7arrows.jpg

The arrows on a pillar points to another pillar which will disappear when the first is step on.

uw2_071s7lurkerdies.gif

First, she kills the lurker in the water with a wand of fireball.

uw2_072s7key.jpg

She then explore the pool and found the key.

uw2_073s7jump.jpg

All that is left is to figure out the correct sequence to jump. Being able to see far with the light sphere helps in this puzzle.

Total time: 7 minutes, 14 seconds
Starting Mana: 17/104

Section VIII: Correlations

uw2_074s8.jpg

uw2_075s8map.jpg

professor.jpg
She appears at the bottom of a terraced chamber.

uw2_076s8read.jpg

A plaque above the north red square reads:
3 : 5 : 2 : 9

uw2_076s8teleport.jpg

There is a teleport in the west cubicle.

helicopter.jpg
Remember what Elster said?

elster.jpg
'Count over from the red squares.'

helicopter.jpg
The teleport is 3 squares clockwise from the red square.

uw2_077s8red.jpg

Stepping into the teleport, she goes up to the next level and looks for a red tile.

uw2_078s8teleport.jpg

Helicopter figured out the solution and enters the 5th teleport clockwise from the red tile.

uw2_080s8slug.jpg

She did enter wrongly once and was brought back to the start with a random monster.

uw2_081s8up.jpg

The Avatar exits the last section of the exam.

Total time: 4 minutes, 7 seconds
Starting Mana: 17/104

uw2_082exit.jpg

And teleports to the graduating hall.

georgeww1.jpg
Congratulations!

professor.jpg
Total time: 1 hour, 22 minutes 21 seconds.

uw2_083graduate.jpg

professor.jpg
So she survived. Oh well, let us turn the narrative back to the Avatar.

uw2_084grade.jpg

Hmm there is a scroll with grades of previous petitioners:

Istrik -- B+
Jashou -- C+
Perrin -- F (dead)
Odraanj -- A-
Ravenna -- dead
Mirre -- B
Lodrah -- B-
Elster -- incomplete

I wonder what grade I got?

professor.jpg
That's up for the viewers to decide. What do you think? Does she get an A for effort?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
well, seeing your rune collection. I would've levitated over the jumping sections and bought a couple of mana pots from Killorn Keep Merchant, but well done.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
RK47 said:
well, seeing your rune collection. I would've levitated over the jumping sections and bought a couple of mana pots from Killorn Keep Merchant, but well done.

...doesn't the test chambers prevent you from restoring Mana, even from Mana pots?

I give her a B. She cleared the test, but fumbled on some obvious traps.

uw2_003familiars.jpg

Yet another thing I'd missed in all of my UW2 playthroughs. I had always wondered what those piles of bones were. (It would be even funnier if Elster had eaten them all.)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
I don't have the HUR rune so I cannot levitate. And yes, I tried restoring my mana with a scepter of mana boost and it worked. You can still heal if you rest during the exam.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Elster always disappeared after we completed the exam. Never really explained why this is so.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
RK47 said:
Elster always disappeared after we completed the exam. Never really explained why this is so.
Will be explained in part 8.5. :P

Plane travellers age differently in Ultima. Lord Thibris explained this in Killorn Keep. Quite a few of the Avatar's companions are from Earth and they are several hundred years old.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Part 8.5: World 5 - Scintillus Academy Secure Vault

uw2_083graduate.jpg

The Scintillus Academy appears to be deserted. I shall commence exploring the rooms.

For those who missed it the first time,
Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Scintillus Academy":

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=4481005&song=Scintilius+Academy

uw2_000note1.jpg

The first room has an interesting message left by one of the instructors.

rovilar.jpg

uw2_060note.gif
Kalarion, I have taken care of the Vas and Tym runes you sent me. They should be fairly safe. Signed, Rovilar

VAS (Great) and TYM (Time), the two most powerful runes!I want!

uw2_001note2.jpg

More messages can be found in this abandoned facility:

Larkin,
This is now the fifth straight day that I have detected an interdimensional disturbance in the ether. Judging from the proportional increases, I am now surer than ever that something monstrously powerful is fast approaching our planet. The council has thus far refused to acknowledge the import of my observations, but I am convinced that we are potentially in grave danger. Could you place me on the agenda for the next council meeting? Thanks.
-Devrow

Another note on the vault:

Rovilar,
The council has voted on the matter of the secure vault. They think it would be safest to build it in the Ethereal Void, and to put up obstacles that require magical training, in addition to an ordinary key. They'd like to see plans next week, and if all goes well expect it finished in a month.

uw2_002key.jpg

In the room where I found the note, I find a key hidden behind a bed. Is this Rovilar's room? Maybe there is something else hidden here?

uw2_003crown.jpg

True enough, I find a locked secret door with a fraznium circlet in it.

uw2_004vault.jpg

The door leading to the Secure Vault with the precious runes, I shall raid it later.

uw2_005pentagram.jpg

The facility is small and I reach the final chamber with a large pentagram.

uw2_006pentagram.jpg

A blackrock gem lies in the centre of the pentagram. Littered around are skeletons with runes. One of the runes is a new HUR (wind) rune.
This must be where the Guardian assaulted and massacred the Scintillus faculty.

uw2_007blackgate.jpg

guardian.jpg
'Here's looking at you!

uw2_008waitingroom.jpg

Instead of attempting the Vault, I decided to exit back to the waiting room where I find Elster missing. Maybe he decided to take the exam?

uw2_009elsterdies.jpg

There he is! Or was. Looks like he got killed by mongbats in the first section.

professor.jpg
Worthless, did he even train at all in those sixty years?

georgeww1.jpg
Mongbats are like monkeys that can fly, how deadly can they be?

He left behind a note:
uw2_060note.gif
Elster -- I hope your thesis is going well, and good luck on that exam! love, mom

Now that the Guardian has taken over the planet, maybe mom is dead as well.

I shall return to Britannia to catch up on the latest castle events.

uw2_010patterson.jpg

Mayor Patterson:

patterson.jpg
Avatar! I have seen a most extraordinary thing! I was wandering through a basement storeroom, when I came upon an ancient scroll, which spoke of a secret cache of Filanium on Talorus, "near the lava pits!"

patterson.jpg
Could this be of any help to thee?

helicopter.jpg
Aye, a great deal!

patterson.jpg
At last I am of some use!

georgeww1.jpg
Funny, I don't remember seeing Filanium on Talorus.

Iolo the Bard:

iolo.jpg
Thou art rarely in the castle these days, Avatar. Thy affairs in other worlds are keeping thee very busy!

helicopter.jpg
Indeed! What news of the castle?

iolo.jpg
There is little to say. None of us have slept easy since Tory's death, and the monsters are growing worse.

helicopter.jpg
I am working as fast as I can. Meanwhile, you must keep up morale in the castle.

iolo.jpg
I will do whatever is in my power, Helicopter. Still, between me and thee, Avatar. I worry -- what dangers may lie beyond the holes in that gem? What if the gem opened onto an ocean floor, or a world full of poisonous gases?

helicopter.jpg
If such a thing happens, than we shall face it. If not, 'tis best to worry about the dangers we do know.

Julia the Tinker:

julia.jpg
Avatar, thou dost not know what it is like to spend thy nights here. This castle is becoming like some haunted tomb!

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou found any clues to real danger?

julia.jpg
Some nights, lying awake I can hear footsteps walking through the secret passage. Somebody in here can't sleep, and it's no wonder.

uw2_011dupre.jpg

Sir Dupre:

helicopter.jpg
What is on thy mind, friend Dupre?

dupre.jpg
I have just now returned from the ice caverns, Avatar. Even after visiting there myself, I can scarcely believe this other world is real!

helicopter.jpg
Didst thou think I was lying?

*He laughs.*

dupre.jpg
Nay, Avatar -- 'twould be folly to doubt THY word.

dupre.jpg
'Tis indeed a shame, that should we destroy this gem, I shall never again have a chance to voyage between the worlds.

After talking with the Britannians, I have Nystul treat the newly acquired blackrock gem and use it on the gateway gem.

With my magic skills fully maxed, it is time to pick a weapon skill to train in.

georgeww1.jpg
Swords I say! Lobar is the best trainer in the multiverse!

professor.jpg
Perhaps an axe? There are two unique axes, one of which she is close to acquiring.

georgeww1.jpg
Or maybe a mace for those undeads. Those folks in Killorn Keep talked about a tomb, she will surely be visiting it in the future.

uw2_012garg.jpg

Or maybe I should learn kungfu from Garg?

helicopter.jpg
HI-YA!!! Heh, the tourists love that stuff.

uw2_013armoury.jpg

I have quite an armoury now.

uw2_014plate.jpg

What wearing a full set of plate armour looks like.

uw2_014Zdream.jpg

While resting I got another Guardian message:

guardian.jpg
I am making many new friends in Britannia.

I hope Nastassia isn't one of them!

Time to break into the Scintillus Academy Vault.

uw2_015exam.jpg

I have to go through the entire test again. But I manage to find a pack I missed the first time in the "staircase maze".

professor.jpg
She must really like adventuring unarmoured.

georgeww1.jpg
At least she is wearing that fraznium crown.

uw2_016vaultdoor.jpg

To the Vault! I wish I have a blue jumpsuit.

uw2_017vaultentrance.jpg

I am transported to the Ethereal Void. The dark, black walls and ceilings makes it difficult to navigate.

uw2_018tymrune.jpg

The first security feature of the Vault is a TYM rune with a bouncing fireball flying through it.

uw2_019tymrune2.jpg

Having learnt my lesson in the exam, I throw a skull through the rune, bypassing the trap.

georgeww1.jpg
Why is the Avatar carrying a snowball?

uw2_020button.jpg

The second obstacle is a locked door with a button far out of reach.
I tried hitting it with the snowball but missed. Telekinesis seems to be the only option.

uw2_021buttonhit.gif

Instead, I cast magic arrow and score a direct hit. Opening the door.

uw2_022watermaze.jpg

The third obstacle is a water maze which is designed to be solved by the spell water walk.

Automap doesn't work here, neither does the compass.

uw2_023doors.jpg

Out of the water maze and I find another locked door waiting for me.

uw2_024maze.jpg

Left of the door is the fourth puzzle: a maze, which you can't tell cos the walls are all annoying black. The trick to this maze is that the walls in the room are all illusory.

uw2_025mazeswitch.jpg

I just have to walk straight to reach a switch which will open the door.
The crystal ball gives a view of the door.

uw2_026pit.jpg

The door opens into a pit with purple floors.

uw2_027pitexit.jpg

There is an exit out of the vault to my left.

uw2_028redmoongate.jpg

But a red moongate in a corner beckons me.

uw2_028Zlevitate.jpg

professor.jpg
Actually, the easy solution is to cast levitate and float out of the pit into the next area.

uw2_029fire.jpg

The red moongate brings me to a fiery area with a door right in front.

uw2_030left.jpg

Plus a door to my left.

uw2_031right.jpg

Another to my right.

uw2_032imp.jpg

First I hop over the lava into the left door. I find an imp in there which I kill with my fists.
The room contains a chain on a wall which I pull.

professor.jpg
This chain opens a door behind the centre door.

uw2_033hordling.jpg

Next I ran back to the start and open the right door with telekinesis.
A hordling, a type of daemon appears but made no move towards me.

uw2_034hordlingattack.jpg

I kill it with lightning and deadly seekers.

uw2_035key.jpg

It drops a key that I have to dash through the lava to get.
How I wish I have the FLAM (Flame) rune so I can cast flameproof to protect me from the fiery ground.

uw2_036middle.jpg

I open the middle door with telekinesis and fire off a few shots from my wand of deadly seeker hoping to draw whatever is in that room.
Doesn't seem to work so I dash through the lava again.

uw2_037despoiler.jpg

A despoiler! A powerful and poisonous daemon attacks me!

uw2_038paralyse.jpg

Time to use one of those wands I picked up during the Scintillus Academy Final Exam: a wand of Paralysation!

uw2_039despoilerdies.jpg

Paralysed, the despoiler can only watch helplessly as I destroy it with spells and fists.

uw2_040exit.jpg

A purple moongate lies behind the door I unlocked with the key from the hordling.

uw2_041secretwall.jpg

It brings me back to the Vault. Following the tunnel will teleport me back to the Academy. The treasures are actually behind this illusionary wall.

uw2_042vault.jpg

Tada!
The Vault has two already identified Basilisk Oil as well as the FLAM rune. But where are the VAS and TYM runes I read about?

uw2_043secretwall.jpg

I search around and find another wall that is illusory!

uw2_044forcefield.jpg

It leads to a room blocked by forcefields like those in the Prison Tower. Good thing I'm wearing this fraznium crown.

uw2_045innervault.jpg

Searching the floor reveals the VAS and TYM runes, as well as a jeweled axe of Fire Doom, a wine of restoration as well as a scroll of smite foe.

uw2_046allrunes.jpg

My spell runes are now completed!

uw2_047strike.jpg

Before I leave the Academy I cut off the Guardian's power by striking the ground near the pentagram with Altara's staff.

killornkeep.jpg

I return to Killorn Keep to talk with Altara.

uw2_048altara.jpg

helicopter.jpg
It must be a very difficult spell!

altara.jpg
Aye -- none but the greatest mages may cast it!

helicopter.jpg
That's me! I'm the greatest mage!

altara.jpg
Its runes are VAS ORT YLEM
(Great Magic Matter) -- may it serve thee well!

helicopter.jpg
Aye.

altara.jpg
Good! Beware, though -- a magical item can only hold a certain measure of energy -- too much may destroy it!

Next on the agenda is The Ice Cavern.

icecave.jpg

I return to Aunodunos and speak to Beatrice:

beatrice.jpg
Greetings! Hast thou taken a liking to our fair city?

helicopter.jpg
I may be able to banish the Guardian's presence from this place.

beatrice.jpg
Oh... my! So it wasn't just a feeling after all! Yes... I know it now -- it is His presence keeping me here. I am present here in order to oppose him!

helicopter.jpg
I shall end his presence here shortly.

beatrice.jpg
Oh, thank thee! Thank thee!

uw2_049anudunos.jpg

Using Altara's staff, I end Beatrice's haunting.

uw2_050beatrice.jpg

I wonder how much karma I get from this?

professor.jpg
But this game doesn't have karma. Unlike a certain other game series.

georgeww1.jpg
What series? Ultima?

professor.jpg
No, the one with the super mutants.

georgeww1.jpg
Good for her then, this Avatar is not exactly virtuous, what with all the lying and stealing.

uw2_051bubble.jpg

But before I leave, a secret area in the northwest is now accessible.

uw2_052scrolls.jpg

With the aid of the portal spell, I teleported through the wall and find three very powerful scrolls.

uw2_053miranda.jpg

Back in Britannia, Miranda gives an update of my activities.

uw2_054weapon.jpg

Now I retreat to my hideout to experiment with the enchantment spell.

Here I cast enchantment on a non-magical battle axe making it a battle axe of Minor Accuracy.

Weapons can have random enchantments of either Accuracy or Damage.
There are four levels of enchantments for weapons:

1.Minor
2.Major
3.Great
4.Unsurpassed

Casting on a already enchanted weapon will bring the enchantment up another level.
Maximum enchantment level is determined by Casting skill and character level.

uw2_055armour.jpg

Likewise for armour.

Armour can have enchantments of Protection or Toughness.
There are eight levels of enchantments for armour:

1.Minor
2.No adjectives
3.Additional
4.Major
5.Great
6.Very Great
7.Tremendous
8.Unsurpassed

Tests I run shows that moderately strong enemies cannot harm the Avatar in a full suit of leather armour with high Toughness enchantment.

Rings can also be charged for Protection or Toughness though tests on Toughness doesn't show any damage reduction, the damage reduction may kick in randomly.

uw2_056wands.jpg

Charged items can be recharged, with a maximum charge of 63. The more charges an item holds, the greater the chance of the item exploding when recharging.

I prepare these items for the next world, each with 63 charges.

1.Wand of Fireball
2.Wand of Lightning
3.Wand of Smite Undead
4.Wand of Mass Confusion
5.Sceptre of Shockwave
6.Wand of Cause Fear
7.Wand of Paralyze
8.Wand of Deadly Seeker
9.Wand of Name Enchantment

georgeww1.jpg
Sounds a bit overpowered, maybe she ought to go in unarmed and unarmoured again.

professor.jpg
Next world, the Avatar fights in arenas!

Current stats:
Level 13
Mage skills maxed.
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - Magic Arrow
Level 2 - Cause Fear, Deadly Seeker, Rune of Flame
Level 3 - Bleeding, Lightning, Repel Undead
Level 4 - Frost, Poison Weapon
Level 5 - Fireball, Rune of Stasis, Smite Undead
Level 6 - Charm, Paralyse, Sheet Lightning
Level 7 - Magic Satellite, Mass Confusion, Shockwave

professor.jpg
She can cast everything except Eighth Circle spells which require character level of 15.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Create Food is not an offensive spell...unless she's visiting the world of Anorexia.

There's a food-related spell coming up in the next world, so keep an eye out for that.

Luzur

Good Sir
Silellak said:
Unkillable Cat said:
I began to see the cracks in their plan about 2 hours into Ultima 8.

Then the whole thing shattered like a mirror when Ultima 9 finally rolled round.

Yeah, the worst part about Ultima 9 was that all the fantastic and sometimes subtle build-up in the previous games amounted to jack shit in the end.

funny enough Ultima 9 wouldnt even have been released if not Garriott had stepped in and taken the reins (since he wanted a great ending to his game serie), EA wanted to set all sights on Ultima Online and kinda abandon the Ultima series.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, the original UO was somewhat faithful to the series. Dunno how much it has been transformed by now, I left when they created the carebear world of Trammel.

Silellak

Cipher
Mighty Mouse said:
Silellak said:
*prods the thread with a stick*
Next world is the biggest and I am busy IRL. Here's a pic:

uw2_226.png

No problem, just didn't want the thread to die, and figured it certainly couldn't hurt if we bumped it over to Page 6, since the updates tend to get pretty big.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That's another thing I never figured out:

What exactly is the Avatar supposed to kick? And how?

And are you going for the tough critters at the bottom of the Pit of Carnage?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom