Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima Underworld 2: World 6 Pits Of Carnage! 1/2

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RK47 said:
Heh, this murder can be solved I think. It just takes plot progression to give more clues or did the suspect crack, I can't remember clearly..
The murder cannot be solved by the Avatar. :wink:
The Quenton murderer was only revealed in Ultima VII.

Unkillable Cat said:
Is it me, or did you miss an important bit of dialogue with Lady Tory earlier on? The one where she talks about Feridwyn? IIRC, she sensed that he was either guilty of something horrific and completely remorseless about it, or that he's terrified of being accused of something he didn't commit.
Pretty sure I didn't miss any dialogue with Tory.

Things will be revealed eventually. Maybe a couple of weeks? The next world is small, but the next next world will take a while.

Silellak

Cipher
Mighty Mouse said:
RK47 said:
Heh, this murder can be solved I think. It just takes plot progression to give more clues or did the suspect crack, I can't remember clearly..
The murder cannot be solved by the Avatar. :wink:
The Quenton murderer was only revealed in Ultima VII.

Unkillable Cat said:
Is it me, or did you miss an important bit of dialogue with Lady Tory earlier on? The one where she talks about Feridwyn? IIRC, she sensed that he was either guilty of something horrific and completely remorseless about it, or that he's terrified of being accused of something he didn't commit.
Pretty sure I didn't miss any dialogue with Tory.

Things will be revealed eventually. Maybe a couple of weeks? The next world is small, but the next next world will take a while.

Man, I must've spent so fucking long trying to solve that murder in Ultima 6. Good times.

LP gets better and better. It's especally illuminating since UW2 is one of the few Ultima games I never completed - I think it's actually the only one besides Savage Empire and Martian Dreams. Thanks for keeping it going!

Divinity: Original Sin
This was my second ultima. I had only played ultima IV before, on a sega master system.

In fact, UUW 2 is my first PC RPG. Had a 386 and played it on the highest level of detail. My PC struggled to run it in a "charming" choppy way.

Syvere

Educated
Man, I would be so excited if this was a video LP. I don't think there's any video LPs of Ultima Underworlds.

Syvere

Educated
Mighty Mouse said:
Syvere said:
Man, I would be so excited if this was a video LP. I don't think there's any video LPs of Ultima Underworlds.
You can try playing them yourself. :cool:

I have a mile long backlog already and it's purely for the reminiscing as I played UWs back in the day. Video LPs are much easier to do and would take less of your time.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Looks like I have to swallow my words Syvere. SA just added a hybrid pic and video LP to its archives: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/UltimaUnderworld2/index.html. Though IMHO, instead of hours watching someone play the game, you should just play it instead.

Unkillable Cat said:
Yes I did miss it. Apparently the other LP took another sequence through the worlds.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
talorus.jpg

Part 7: World 4 - Talorus.

The one with no spellcheck.

uw2_001portal.jpg

house.jpg
Set phasers on stun. Away team to Captain, ready to beam down to the fourth planet.

leondegrance.jpg
I thought we have had enough of that in the last world.

georgeww1.jpg
Oh right! I forgot!

georgeww1.jpg
So... is the Avatar going into a combat mission or a diplomatic mission?

leondegrance.jpg
A diplomatic mission.

georgeww1.jpg
Booooo! Some collar grabbing would be fun.

leondegrance.jpg
Which will turn sour.

georgeww1.jpg
Hurray!

I believe this is the last talky talky world.

For this world, I will be armoured with only the chain cowl of valor
My weapon, instead of the usual boring old sword, is a mace of major damage.

Into the portal...

uw2_002entrance.jpg

Yikes! Oh they are peaceful. The... Vorz do not seem to be able to talk.

uw2_003portal.jpg

Looking up, I can see the portal were I entered from.

uw2_004bouncepad.jpg

Directly below the portal is a yellow square. It is a bounce pad, I can use it to leap up to the portal.

Due to the lack of good music for this world, I'm gonna put something different up instead.
Listen to Ultima VI Intro remix "Heroes Long Gone" by DjLizard:

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=5626068&song=Heroes+Long+Gone

uw2_005south.jpg

I pick one of the passages, the south-eastern one.

uw2_006corridor.jpg

Those Vorz sure know how to obstruct corridors!

uw2_007map.jpg

I'm at the southern most part of the world.

uw2_008historian.jpg

What a strange place and what a strange creature.

hiztorian.jpg

uw2_009historiantalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I beg your pardon?

historian.jpg
Zlpnzlzlpnzlzlzlzlpnzlzlzlzlzlzlzlzl...

helicopter.jpg
Hello?

historian.jpg
Pi Gmzjoh Gjti, xf ibsemz lofx zf.

helicopter.jpg
Can you understand me?

historian.jpg
I have now azzimilated your language through telepathy. Kommunication iz now pozzible.

*The Talorid emits a euphonious hum.*

helicopter.jpg
Who are you?

historian.jpg
You muzt state your funktion kode.

helicopter.jpg
I am Helicopter.

historian.jpg
That iz not a valid funktion kode.

helicopter.jpg
I am Avatar.

historian.jpg
I am Historian.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of your world's past.

historian.jpg
To tell of the past is my funktion. Otherz know nothing of what happened before their skupping, zo Historian must make sure it iz not lost. Each new Historian abzorbz knowledge from the one before.

helicopter.jpg
Do go on.

historian.jpg
Zinze you are not of thiz world, I should tell you of our kind first. Our past goez bak far indeed. Just az antz work together in koloniez az one complekz organizm. We Talaroidz are evolving toward perfekt zyntheziz into one great zingle being.

Thanks for making spellcheck worthless. I could fix the Talorus English, but I'll leave the original spelling alone. At least there are no thees and thines here.

helicopter.jpg
If you say so...

historian.jpg
You might think the individual would loze identity, loze what made each of uz spezial. But thiz was not zo, not before he came. Life waz richer az individualz grew more koordinated. Each purzued individual gloaz, had hopez and fearz as before. But alzo there were higher goalz, of benefit to all. Lezz pollution, end of war, ekzploration of other dimenzions.

helicopter.jpg
Who came? What did he do?

historian.jpg
Guardian came, ekzplained hiz funktion waz to improve zyztems, increase effizienzy. Made many zuggestionz, ways to increaze produktion of materialz. All were uzed, all worked kite well. But he haz kome to be allowed too much freedom to change our zyztem. He is not of uz, is not Talorid.

helicopter.jpg
What else has he done here?

historian.jpg
We are too kompartmentalized now, each knowing only of their own funktion. I think Guardian arranged thiz to weaken uz. Now Guardian kan do az he pleazez. Many of the things we produze now are of no uze to Taloridz, but those that make them do not kestion what they are for. Few bezidez myzelf have enough information to zuzpect that Guardian is evil.

helicopter.jpg
Does he suspect you oppose him?

historian.jpg
Perhapz. But change komez slowly on Taloruz. If it iz a zentury or two before I go to the lava, how much kan I akkomplish in that time? Guardian iz not worried.

helicopter.jpg
Can't you do anything to stop him?

historian.jpg
It iz not my role to akt, but to inform thoze than kan of what haz gone before. And in time I will be replazed by new Historian, skupped to zee things Guardian'z way.

helicopter.jpg
What is that strange protrusion you have?

historian.jpg
After many millenia, the akkumulation of small imperfektionz kauzes a Talorid to show outward zigns such as thiz. Before long I will be zent to the lava pits to have my komponentz reklaimed, and a new Historian will be skupped to replaze me. Zeveral more protruzions may manifest before then, however.

helicopter.jpg
That's awful! Is there no other way?

historian.jpg
That iz our way now, in theze times of great effizienzy. And yet, know of older wayz, kinder wayz we uzed to follow. But I kan only tell of theze ways, it iz for others to akt on that knowledge.

helicopter.jpg
I need your help.

historian.jpg
Oh? With what do you rekire azzistanze?

helicopter.jpg
I seek a magical gem.

historian.jpg
I have knowledge of the gem you zeek. But you are not Talorid. If you do zomething to help uz, I will give you the information in return.

helicopter.jpg
I will help you defeat the Guardian!

historian.jpg
Kan zuch a think be pozzible? And yet, if it kan, I must do whatever I might to azzist you. Let me think. What in the past might aid you in thiz?

helicopter.jpg
Take your time.

historian.jpg
Ah, I have it. Several zykels ago, Guardian modified the programming of the Bliy Skup Chamber. Our kind had three zexez, just az your haz two. But now we have only one, in the name of greater effizienzy.

helicopter.jpg
That's too bad.

historian.jpg
Guardian'z kontrol of our deztiny is zentered on the Bliy Skup Chamber, for through the patterns we are made with, Guardian kan determine our goalz.

helicopter.jpg
Please continue.

historian.jpg
To maintain hiz kontrol, Guardian had Ductosnore skupped that would zee things Guardian'z way. Normal Ductosnore would not operate Bliy Skup Chamber in zuch a manner. As Historian, I know where information krystal with original Ductosnore pattern iz.

helicopter.jpg
Where is it?

historian.jpg
It was zent down to the lava pit for rezykling a thouzand of your "yearz" ago.

helicopter.jpg
That's terrible.

historian.jpg
Fortunately, the konveyor only movez an inch or two per year. You should be able to find the kryztal amongst the debris to the north of the lava. Iz kryztal E0Y2.

helicopter.jpg
What should I do when I've found it?

historian.jpg
That I kannot zay. I only know the past, and Taloruz haz never been rezkued from alien fiend by brave hero before. Only one thing for Historian to zay when zomeone zeekz advize for that which haz never happened before.

helicopter.jpg
And what would that be?

historian.jpg
Zeek the Futurian. That which you will do liez in the future, and that iz Futurian'z domain.

historian.jpg
I wish you luck, Avatar, for hope ridez on your shoulderz. There waz a time when we knew love, and beauty and laughter. I do not know what theze thing are, but I would have my people feel them again.

Life on the Talorus is about to change.

georgeww1.jpg
Actually it already did.

uw2_010futurian.jpg

Continuing west I come across the Futurian in another room.

uw2_011futuriantalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Aye, Historian sent me.

talorid.jpg
You play an important role in the future of Talorus. Normally my guidance is given to my own kind, but in this case it is quite appropriate for me to help you.

helicopter.jpg
What must I do?

talorid.jpg
There are three things you will take with you to the Bliy Skup Chamber. First, the information crystal the Historian told you of, with the old Ductosnore pattern. Second, a crystal with the proper program to encode this pattern into the Skup Chamber control mechanisms. This crystal awaits you in the chamber behind me.

helicopter.jpg
How did you come to have it here?

talorid.jpg
As Futurian, part of my function is to keep my Necessity Chamber supplied with various items that individuals who come to me will be requiring at some point in the future.

helicopter.jpg
What if I take something meant for someone else?

talorid.jpg
Then one of two things will occur. Either you will return the item before the individual it was placed for comes for it, or you will eventually make use of the item yourself -- possibly many years in the future. Or, actually, it is possible you will convey it to someone who will use it themselves. But we digress.

helicopter.jpg
Yes, you were saying?

talorid.jpg
The third item you will take with you is a Delgnigzator. These items, along with some form of weapon, will prove sufficient.

helicopter.jpg
What is a Delgnigzator?

talorid.jpg
It is a device designed to serve as part of the control system for a Skup Chamber. You will need if for the reprogramming after you kill Bliy Skup Ductosnore.

helicopter.jpg
After I what?

talorid.jpg
The death of Bliy Skup Ductosnore is the only way to gain access to the Bliy Skup Chamber, and to trigger the production of a new Ductosnore.

georgeww1.jpg
Bliy Skup Ductosnore? Funny name isn't it?

leondegrance.jpg
Ahem, Looking Glass Studios used to be named Looking Glass Technologies, which is around the time this game was released. But before this, Looking Glass Technologies was created from the merger of Blue Sky Productions and Lerner Research.

leondegrance.jpg
Now rearrange:

BlueSkyProductions and you get:
BliySkupDuctosnore

georgeww1.jpg
Well cover me with eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes!

talorid.jpg
Normally only Ductosnore can open the Chamber doors. But upon death, the chamber begins to produce a new Ductosnore automatically. In addition, the chamber doors open, in case there is some malfunction to be repaired. Otherwise we might be stuck with no Ductosnore, and no way to produce one. But Futurians past anticipated such problems and made allowances.

helicopter.jpg
I am sorry, but I will not slay unprovoked.

talorid.jpg
Your decision to slay Bliy Skup Ductosnore is a key junction between two different futures. In one, Guardian controls Talorus uncontested. In the other, my people begin to struggle for freedom. You will make your choice when the time comes.

helicopter.jpg
If you say so.

talorid.jpg
The last thing you must know is how to utilize the Delgnigzator. The Data Integrator possesses this knowledge; you will acquire it there.

helicopter.jpg
I see.

talorid.jpg
There is one other thing you do not strictly need to be informed of. But as your actions will serve to benefit Talorus in the long run. I will warn you.

helicopter.jpg
Warn me of what?

talorid.jpg
Shortly before you came here, I informed Guardian that your actions would prove detrimental to Guardian's goals. Guardian will increase Vorz production, and modify Vorz encoding to make them attack you. You will experience the first of these attacks fairly soon.

helicopter.jpg
Whose side are you on, anyway?

talorid.jpg
To have lied to Guardian would have led to my demise. In some situations, this would not be inappropriate. But my presence will be important following your actions in the Bliy Skup Chamber, so sacrificing myself was not indicated.

helicopter.jpg
If you say so...

talorid.jpg
I have said all that is needful at this time. Now you shall go and do what you are destined to do.

helicopter.jpg
Before I go -- how is it that you speak my language so much better than other Talorids?

talorid.jpg
In the future, Talorus has much greater contact with other dimensions, including yours. This eventually leads to greater mastery of alien languages. As Futurian, naturally, I am attuned to that future state.

georgeww1.jpg
Finally! Somebody who speaks proper English!

leondegrance.jpg
Or to put it more precisely, American English.

georgeww1.jpg
Indeed, this LP is kinda tricky, the words in white are mostly written in the Queen's English but those in cyan are mostly in American English.

georgeww1.jpg
Lord British isn't actually British is he? Unlike me.

leondegrance.jpg
No, actually I'm British as well, a Royal Shakespeare Actor as a matter of fact.

baldrickww1.jpg
I'm British too.

leondegrance.jpg
So was Lady Tory.

leondegrance.jpg
Even our projectionist is British.

blackadder.jpg
One more famous than all of you combined I may add.

For those who don't follow the Futurian's speech. Let me summarise my objectives:

1: To get the storage crystal in the garbage recycling area.
2: To get another storage crystal from the Futurian.
3: To get the Delgnigzator from a Skup Chamber. A Skup Chamber is where Talorids are skupped (created).
4: To kill the current Bliy Skup Ductosnore.
5: To ask The Data Integrator how to reprogram the Bliy Skup Chamber skupping process so the new Bliy Skup Ductosnore will skup Talorids to pre-Guardian specifics.

uw2_012futurianroom.jpg

To complete 2, I slide into a room behind the Futurian.

uw2_013futurianroom.jpg

Pick up the storage crystal. The Futurian prepared some other items for me including a grey stone.
There are several odd items in the room for others. Anyone know what the fork-thingy in my inventory does?

I continue clockwise around this world, this time going north.

uw2_014eloemosynator.jpg

Next Talorid I meet is this Eloemosynator. It sprouts gobbledygook that seem to serve no function. I don't have a clue, neither does google.

uw2_015chute.jpg

In the westmost room I see a way down to the next level.

uw2_016map.jpg

Map update.

uw2_017vorzfight.gif

Like the Futurian warned, the formerly peaceful Vorz are now hostile.

They attack with big slurpy wet kisses and tentacles. Surely the most fearsome and realistic creatures since the Gorns in Star Trek.

uw2_018gorn.jpg
VS
uw2_019vorz.jpg

Gorn and Vorz. Which is more terrifying and why? Discuss!

uw2_020vorzdie.gif

uw2_020Zeraser.jpg
You've just been erased.

leondegrance.jpg
I don't think this guy's British.

georgeww1.jpg
Not with that accent.

uw2_021dialogicians.jpg

Further north I meet two Talorids engaged in conversation.

talorid.jpg
"Then we shall increaze orbomite shipmentz to your zektor."

talorid2.jpg
"That would be most ekzellent."

talorid.jpg
"Have the alt flay rodz been behaving properly?"

talorid2.jpg

talorid.jpg
Look, an alien kreature wishez to speak with uz.

talorid2.jpg
But dialog iz for two, and that would make three!

talorid.jpg
I have a notion. Let uz kontinue our work, and speak with this kreature in between, thus inventing "trilog".

talorid2.jpg
A splendid notion! You are most klever.

talorid.jpg
I am Dialogician.

talorid2.jpg
I am Dialogician.

helicopter.jpg
What is a Dialogician?

talorid.jpg
When it is nezezzary for Taloridz to speak with each other, they often lak the ability to think of the proper thingz to say.

talorid2.jpg
Yez, zo we provide them with phrazez and zentenzez to suit their needz.

talorid.jpg
Our storage room iz full of them. Feel free to try out a few.

talorid2.jpg
"If you fold it thuzly, thiz part becomez the tail."

talorid.jpg
"I lack the dekzterity for zuch manipulationz."

Our conversation is constantly interrupted by "trilog".

talorid2.jpg
The thingz we zay to each other, thoze are linez of dialog we are tezting out between each other, before providing them to otherz.

talorid.jpg
Indeed, that iz why there are two of uz.

talorid2.jpg
Letz try out zome more linez now.

talorid.jpg
"Iz the interzektion of theze katergoriez an ill-formed zet?

talorid2.jpg
"That kestion iz not zolvable in polynomial time."

helicopter.jpg
How do you know which sentence to give them?

talorid.jpg
Ah, knowing that iz mozt important part of being Dialogician.

talorid2.jpg
To be prezize, if we didn't know, we'd be zomething else entirely.

talorid.jpg
"I would like to vizit another dimension zomeday."

talorid2.jpg
"Zuch thoughtz are premature. Get your gnoz out of the fribbery."

helicopter.jpg
Can you help me find a magic gem?

talorid.jpg
No, most certainly not.

talorid2.jpg
To be prezize, we cannot provide the slighteszt azziztanze with zuch matterz.

talorid.jpg
"I will be rezykled zoon."

talorid2.jpg
"Kongratulationz on zerving your funktion well."

I can't take any more of this so I leave them to their dialogue.

uw2_022dialogiciansroom.jpg

Their storage room is full of scrolls. Some interesting things were written.

uw2_023bounce.gif

Continuing on, I find a room with bouncing balls. The balls can be picked up and thrown.

uw2_024amethyst.jpg

At the northern most room I find the amethyst rod that Altara of Killorn Keep
altara.jpg
wanted.

leondegrance.jpg
A quest item unguarded? No monsters? No puzzles? Not even a cutscene? Who designed this?

georgeww1.jpg
This game could sure use some QTE cutscene!

uw2_025runekeeper.jpg

Next Talorid is the Runekeeper.
KAL (Summon) runes are scattered around the room.

helicopter.jpg
I am Avatar.

talorid.jpg
I am Runekeeper.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of these runes.

talorid.jpg
Thiz area iz rich in the nezezzitiez for produktion of theze runez. Thiz chamber haz been allokated for the prozezz. I enzure that rune producktion, storage and tranzfer prozeed unimpeded.

helicopter.jpg
How are the runes made?

talorid.jpg
I only skan knowledge from krystalz that is needed to repair malfunktions. I do not understand the entire prozezz.

That's okay, I'm one of those people who have no idea how runemagic works but is perfectly content to use it.

helicopter.jpg
What are the runes used for?

talorid.jpg
That knowledge liez outzide my funktion. My role is to enzure that a steady zupply iz available, no more.

helicopter.jpg
Where are the runes transferred to?

talorid.jpg
Entity known az "Guardian" teleports them elzwhere. "Guardian" helped eztablish kurrent rune produktion prozedurez.

helicopter.jpg
Might he not be misusing these runes?

talorid.jpg
Prozedurez were modified. Prozedurez are only modified to improve effizienzy for the benefit of all.

helicopter.jpg
Can you make other kinds of runes?

talorid.jpg
I was enkoded for zupervizion of thiz rune-type. Other rune-type would rekire different enkoding.

helicopter.jpg
Would it be all right if I took a rune?

talorid.jpg
"All right"? Tranzferz of materialz and information from one lokation to another are only performed for the benefit of all. I do not underzstand the kestion.

uw2_026runeroom.jpg

So I take all the runes. Including a CORP (Death) rune created by a misprint.

uw2_027runes.jpg

A total of 67 KAL runes, they weight nothing so they are good for trading. The CORP rune is only a bit different.

uw2_028data.jpg

Continuing clockwise and turning back south now, I meet the Data Integrator.

helicopter.jpg
What does a Data Integrator do?

talorid.jpg
There are many zourzez of information, zome komplementary, zome kontradiktory. When a Talorid haz only one pieze of information to akt on, the kourse iz klear, When there are two or more, they kome to me.

helicopter.jpg
Very interesitng.

talorid.jpg
Uzually my funktion iz in dealing with the kombination of information kryztalz. Of kourze I alzo anzer zimple kestions, az I am doing for you now.

helicopter.jpg
I have to reprogram the Bliy Skup Chamber with a Delgnigzator.

talorid.jpg
No, that rekest iz too imprezize. I kannot help you unlezz you kan be more spezifik.

I need the help of the Dialogicians to communicate with the Data Integrator. But I still need to find the Delgnigzator first.

uw2_029light.jpg

Further south I come to a chamber with 2 light-spheres. These spheres give off a huge amount of light but they are consumed very quickly.

uw2_030recharge.jpg

I can recharge them with a switch.

uw2_031ductosnore.jpg

The last Talorid to meet on this level is the Bliy Skup Ductosnore.

helicopter.jpg
I am Avatar.

talorid.jpg
I am Ductosnore. It has no akkurate tranzlation in your lang-age.

helicopter.jpg
I seek a magical gem.

talorid.jpg
(Humility) In fakt, I am not juzt any Ductosnore. I am Bliy Skup Ductosnore. Only one there iz.

helicopter.jpg
That's fine, but can you tell me...

talorid.jpg
You know, few ever kome to talk with me. It has been zeveral hundred of your "yearz" zinze the lazt zuch okkassion. That iz too bad for my funktion rekires large mental kapazity, thuz I am kapable of lengthy and interesting konverzation.

helicopter.jpg
Yes, but I...

talorid.jpg
I'm zure you would like to hear about my funktion. It iz one of the mozt fazkinating and important in all Taloruz.

helicopter.jpg
No thanks.

talorid.jpg
Skup Chamberz are uzed to produze new Taloridz to replaze thoze that expire through akzident or age. The prozezz kombinez meanz magikal, mekanikal, and biologikal.

helicopter.jpg
I see.

talorid.jpg
Before leaving the Skup Chamber, the new Talorid haz all the knowledge rekired for itz funktion enkoded into it as well. All thiz iz zupervized by a Ductosnore.

helicopter.jpg
Mmmmhmmm.

talorid.jpg
But the Bliy Skup Chamber iz spezial! It kontrolz the bazik programming of all other Skup Chambers, containz mazter patternz for all typez of Taloridz. Zo you zee my funktion iz very important.

helicopter.jpg
Uh huh.

talorid.jpg
I have zuffizient knowledge of all patternz to repaire any flaws in Skup Chamber programming. Thuz my expanded mental kapazitiez.

helicopter.jpg
ExcusemebutIreallyneedtoaskyouaquestion.

talorid.jpg
Hmmmm? Now, what waz I zaying? Oh yez. Now that Guardian haz helped reduze komplexity of Talorid enkoding by eliminating unneeded karakteriztics, I have much ekzess kapazity left over for other uzez.

helicopter.jpg
Uh huh.

talorid.jpg
Before we had three different zexes, far more patternz to know. And many Taloridz had ekzezz and unezezary kapabilitiez. Still, I am glad to have mine.

helicopter.jpg
I see.

talorid.jpg
I have developed a zenze of humor. Perhapz you kan appreziate it, being a strange kreature from another world az you are. You zee, thiz door leadz to the Bliy Skup Chamber. But many years ago, the "I" fell down from the zign. But inztead of putting it bak, I left it on the floor az a joke. Iz that not funny?

helicopter.jpg
Well...

talorid.jpg
I am glad you think zo. Kome back in a few hundred yearz when I have had time to think up another joke.

uw2_032sign.jpg

The letter did fell down.
Those doors will only open if the Ductosnore dies.

uw2_033map.jpg

Map of the top level before I go down the chute.

uw2_015chute.jpg

We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!

uw2_034lava.jpg

Hot as hell in here.

georgeww1.jpg
Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!

uw2_035lava.jpg

Edging my way south,

uw2_035vorz.jpg

I come across a room full of Vorz.

uw2_036vorzductosnore.jpg

Look there is a Talorid in there.

helicopter.jpg
I am Avatar.

talorid3.jpg
I am Vorz Ductosnore.

helicopter.jpg
What are Vorz for?

talorid3.jpg
Vorz are skupped for a variety of taskz. They perform most phyzikal labor on Taloruz, for one thing. They are also very effektive kourierz. Their funktion is to free Taloridz for more important thingz.

helicopter.jpg
What sort of important things?

talorid3.jpg
You would have to azk one who doez zuch thingz. I just skup Vorz.

helicopter.jpg
How are Vorz made?

talorid3.jpg
Now that iz an interezting zubjekt. The prozezz is zimilar to the way Taloridz are skupped, but much zimpler. Vorz are mucs zimpler kreaturez, after all.

helicopter.jpg
Do tell.

talorid3.jpg
Thiz Skup Chamber iz kontrolled by a zingle Delgnigzator - over there, on the wall. By konnekting different information krystalz to it, I modify the patternz, enkoding Vorz for whatever funktionz may be rekired.

helicopter.jpg
Why do the Vorz attack me?

talorid3.jpg
Among other funktionz, Vorz are skupped to neutralize harmful ekzternal entitiez, much like white blood zellz. Are you a harmful alien?

helicopter.jpg
Yes. I am.

talorid3.jpg
Then I muzt skup many more Vorz, before you do harm to Taloruz.

helicopter.jpg
And I will slay all you can skup!

talorid3.jpg
(Spirituality) I muzt perform my funktion, and you muzt perfrom yourz. That iz way of thingz, even for lowly Vorz. Nothing to grow upzet over.

helicopter.jpg
Goodbye.

talorid3.jpg
Before you go... Iz it true you zeek to know more about Eloemosynator?

helicopter.jpg
Aye, indeed!

talorid3.jpg
Yez, I thought zo. Thank you for konfirming it. Be zeeing you.

uw2_037delgnigzator.jpg

The Vorz Ductosnore doesn't react to me taking the Delgnigzator.

uw2_038crystal.jpg

North of the lava pit I find the disposal area with the storage cystal needed to reprogramme the Bliy Skup Chamber.

uw2_039sceptre.jpg

There is also a sceptre of shockwave out of reach in a nook. Telekinesis is required to take it.

uw2_040up.jpg

With all three required items, it's time to beam back up to the previous level.

uw2_041killbsd.jpg

I went back to the Bliy Skup Ductosnore and kill it to open the doors.

uw2_042taloriddie.gif

The enemies on Talorus are weaker than those in the Ice Caverns.

Nearly there, let's talk to the Dialogicians.

helicopter.jpg
I need help talking to the Data Integrator.

talorid.jpg
Ah, now it happenz we have a skroll with juzt the zentenzez you need for that. Indeed, Futurian told uz it would be uzeful to prepare zuch a skroll.

talorid2.jpg
"It should be moved zome diztanze to the zouth."

talorid.jpg
"I believe you are korrekt. What diztanze would be optimum?"

helicopter.jpg
May I have the scroll, please?

talorid2.jpg
Yez, having azertained that we kan help you, the nekzt step iz to inkire az to whether we will. Kite korrect of you.

talorid.jpg
And in fakt, az it iz our funktion to provide such skrollz, we will give it to you.

talorid2.jpg
Here you are.

helicopter.jpg
I am grateful for the assistance.

talorid.jpg
To fulfill one'z funktion is to be fulfilled.

talorid2.jpg
To be precise: When one iz filled, one feelz funky.

talorid.jpg
I don't think that iz kite right.

talorid2.jpg
No, I muzt work on that line some more.

Using the scroll I manage to get the instructions from the Data Integrator on how to reprogramme the Bliy Skup Chamber.

uw2_043place.jpg

Which is placing the three items like this.

uw2_044newbsd.jpg

Pulling a chain creates the new Bliy Skup Ductosnore.

uw2_045newbsdtalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Why are you so busy?

talorid.jpg
Nothing iz az my funktion indikatez it should be! All are skupped now by strange new patternz. I muzt restore old patternz to Bliy Skup Chamber, much work to do.

helicopter.jpg
I skupped you to save your people!

talorid.jpg
I zuppoze you muzt oppoze Guardian, then. Zeemz not all alienz are bad alienz. Thank you for your azziztanze.

To the Historian!

uw2_046historiantalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
If you insist.

historian.jpg
Guardian uzed powerful magik to make lava pit below. Zervez az power zource for uz. Few know thiz, but at zenter, where spell waz kast, iz small island in middle of lava. There liez gem you zeek.

helicopter.jpg
How can I get there?

historian.jpg
There waz onze a method uzed to teleport Vorz to any dezired lokation. It iz no longer uzed, az it iz not effizient. But az Historian, I still know it. I will zend you to gem now.

uw2_047blackrockgem.jpg

And sent the Historian did.

uw2_048bridge.jpg

Stepping on the golden tile creates a bridge.
I can just ignore the quest and jump over the lava healing myself to get to the blackrock gem.

leondegrance.jpg
And condensing this update to less than twenty words.

I'm done for this world for now.

someone else

Arcane
Patron

Part 7.5: Post Talorus.

Broke the post limit again.

uw2_049altara.jpg

Remember Altara's request for three items? I have now gathered all of them: a black pearl, a dread spider egg and the amethyst rod. I hand them over to Altara.

*She reads a prepared scroll over three objects, and they flow and fuse together in a way that your eye cannot follow. When it is finished, a new object has formed.

altara.jpg
Now, listen carefully
(I shall say this only once). I have sensed that the Guardian has cast a powerful spell over your world. Is this not the case?

helicopter.jpg
Yes, it is.

altara.jpg
When the Guardian cast his spell, he opened cracks between the worlds, cracks that led to the sites of similar spells on other worlds -- these are his places of power. His lines of energy are strung thus in a web throughout the multiverse. This staff can cut those lines.

helicopter.jpg
What must I do with it?

altara.jpg
On each world, you must find his place of power, some vile sorcerous engine or a ruin blighted by his magic, and touch the staff to the earth. It cannot cancel his magic, but it can prevent him from drawing energy from a plane, and using that energy to power his spell.

helicopter.jpg
How shall I find these places?

altara.jpg
On each world, thou shalt find some who know of its past, its story. They shall tell thee of the Guardian's work there, where his power on that world lies -- thou mayst judge for thyself what sort of "Guardian" he is!

helicopter.jpg
I shall do it.

altara.jpg
Excellent! At last, I have an ally of courage!

On top of collecting gems, I must also use Altara's staff on special places in each world.

uw2_050engineroom.jpg

Since I'm at Killorn Keep, I strike the staff at its engine room, the place where the Guardian worked his magic.

uw2_051garg.jpg

Next I visit the Prison Tower and meet up with Garg.

uw2_052gargtalk.jpg

I read the letter:

bishop.jpg
Avatar, do not omit in thy travels to speak with a mage named Zoranthus -- thou shalt find him in a prison of his own.. - Bishop

Yet another VIP to keep an eye out for.

uw2_053bishopcell.jpg

I cut off the Guardian's line of support in the cell that used to hold Bishop.

uw2_054bsc.jpg

Next to cut off is the Bliy Skup Chamber in Talorus.

uw2_055gemfight.jpg

Returning to the sewers, I sleep beside the portal gem and woke up to find myself facing a very angry earth golem!
It would appear that resting near a multi-dimension portal is not a good idea. I rest a bit more and kill some critters that pop through the portals.

uw2_056castle.jpg

After gaining some XP, I return to the castle to make my report.

helicopter.jpg
What is the current situation in the castle?

miranda.jpg
Just now I heard a great commotion over at the servants' quarters -- it seems Charles has made some sort of discovery in the storerooms -- he is most proud of himself!

In the Greathall, Nystul has something to share:

nystul.jpg
I have had a new idea concerning thy interplanar vagrancy.

helicopter.jpg
What wouldst thou say to me?

nystul.jpg
Just think -- on each of the planes thou hast travelled on, the Guardian hath in the past accomplished some prodigious work of sorcery! Coincidence, my dear Avatar? I think not!

helicopter.jpg
I am not sure whether this is true, but go on.

nystul.jpg
There must be some connection between the dimensions where the Guardian has unleashed his most powerful sorcery! That is why we have become connected to them. If I had the original spell with which it was cast, perhaps I could reverse this connection, dissipate along those connections the power that maintains the gem!

So we have to get the spell that created the blackrock prison? Sounds difficult.
I took the opportunity to train my casting skill and max it. Now I am a fully trained mage!

Some other conversations I have:

Feridwyn:

feridwyn.jpg
So thou hast discover a river in another world
(Ice Caverns). 'Tis most fortunate for us, that we shall not perish of thirst. Wert thou searching for water, or didst thou stumble across it accidentally?

helicopter.jpg
I was indeed searching for it! I have saved us all!

feridwyn.jpg
Thy modesty is overwhelming, Avatar.

uw2_056Zapone.jpg
Look into my eye.

Patterson:

patterson.jpg
I have heard of thy discovery of a peaceful world, ruled by a regent of the Guardian! Is it possible... dost thou think we, too... oh, never mind, I shouldn't say it!

helicopter.jpg
Nay, what hast thou to propose?

patterson.jpg
What I mean to say... perhaps to live under the Guardian would not... be that bad?

helicopter.jpg
The inhabitants did seem at peace, in a sense, but certainly discontented.

patterson.jpg
I see. Perhaps thou art right.

uw2_057dupre.jpg

I pass by Dupre on my way to see Charles.

dupre.jpg
I hear thou hast found a river! Dost thou realize what this means? We have a water a supply! Now perhaps Miranda will ease the rationing of alcohol.

helicopter.jpg
That rationing must have been difficult for thee.

dupre.jpg
Aye, Helicopter, it hit me where I live!

*Dupre chuckles and pats his belly.*

dupre.jpg
Someone, though, will still need to bring the water back from the ice caves, a dangerous task at best. Methinks I will volunteer!

helicopter.jpg
Who else, to provide the castle with drink?

dupre.jpg
Good luck to both of us then, Helicopter.

uw2_058charles.jpg

Finally Charles.

uw2_059charlestalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
What is it, Charles?

charles.jpg
'Tis a key! 'Twas in a locked chest in an old storeroom. It looks very old, perhaps from the days of Minax!

helicopter.jpg
Whatever it opened is probably just junk now.

*He looks disappointed.*

charles.jpg
Well, you might as well take it anyway.

If I talk to him again:

charles.jpg
"Tis not so important, but did I mention what I found with the key? Some old document about a battle with a sorcerer, whose body was never found. It all crumbled when I tried to pick it up!

uw2_060Amap.jpg

The first level of the sewers has a locked door that I could not enter.

uw2_060haunt.jpg

Charles's key fits.

uw2_061haunt.jpg

Behind the door is an upset haunt, one of the most dangerous undead in the game. I am no match for it in melee, nor am I able to cast smite undead due to the blackrock interference.

uw2_062hauntfight.jpg

Instead I took it out with a barrage of lightning.
The haunt drops a key.

uw2_063moonstone.jpg

Which unlocks a chest containing some treasure but most importantly, a moonstone!
A moonstone is used in conjunction with the spell Gate Travel. Casting it on one moonstone will transport me to another moonstone. I do not have the runes necessary to cast the spell at this moment though.

I return to the castle and talk to Charles, who wants to share something disturbing.

charles.jpg
There have been three cases of food poisoning reported to me this morning! 'Tis most strange, since I fetched the food from the store-room myself. I know it was fresh.

helicopter.jpg
Dost thou know the cause?

charles.jpg
Nay, these poisonings make no sense. Not knowing how long we may be trapped here, I have been extremely careful about preserving our food supply. Canst thou keep a secret, Avatar?

helicopter.jpg
Yes.

charles.jpg
Well, Helicopter, I think that Feridwyn may be the man behind the food poisonings, and perhaps more. I have no solid evidence... yet... but he makes me very nervous! Keep thine eyes on him.

uw2_064portal.jpg

Now I prepare to enter the next facet.

georgeww1.jpg
Four worlds done, four more to go! And this is the last talky talky world! Bravo!

leondegrance.jpg
Next world, the Avatar takes a mage exam.

georgeww1.jpg
All aboard the Hogwarts Express!

Current stats:
Level 12
Mage skills maxed.
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - Magic Arrow
Level 2 - Cause Fear, Deadly Seeker
Level 3 - Bleeding, Lightning, Repel Undead
Level 4 - Poison Weapon
Level 5 - Smite Undead
Level 6 - Charm

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mighty Mouse said:
georgeww1.jpg
Bliy Skup Ductosnore? Funny name isn't it?

leondegrance.jpg
Ahem, Looking Glass Studios used to be named Looking Glass Technologies, which is around the time this game was released. But before this, Looking Glass Technologies was created from the merger of Blue Sky Productions and Lerner Research.

leondegrance.jpg
Now rearrange:

BlueSkyProductions and you get:
BliySkupDuctosnore

georgeww1.jpg
Well cover me with eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes!

Another useless bit of Underworld trivia I did not know. Thanks for this.

EDIT: Cleanup.

I aways wanted to know if the "curious implement" - the name of that yellow fork thingie in talorus - had any use at all. Or if it was sopposed to have.

But what got me stuck in this game back in 1994 was the fact that I couldn't find any "basilisk oil". Only later, when I got internet access, i discovered that a simple bottle of colourless potion was what I was looking for.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A triviality, i think that in the next to next world, the undead one, its possible to sneak thruu the main bosses, by using a combination of stealth and the teleport on sight spell. And killing you know who has the same effect.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
SCO: The game mentions in a conversation somewhere (or was it a scroll?) a way to sneak past/peacefully ignore two of the three guardians at the end, but I never found a way to do it except by being heavy on the magic(k). I think it's one of those unimplemented features of UW2.

What kept me stuck in my first playthrough was that I couldn't quite figure out the process that involves the Basilisk Oil. In the second playthrough I was stopped by a bug as MG refused to appear. The third playthrough was the charm.

The basilisk oil. It was so simple after you what thw basilisk oil is.

I remember I tried every important item I had in my inventory. Some items wouldn't submerge in the water, because they were important.

There was a silver snake statue, given by those goblins in britannia sewers (and was related to the world pagan and serpent isle). I aways thought it was the basilisk, but the ritual never worked.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Easter Egg for those who played the First Ultima Underworld.
Giving a familiar password to a goblin guard in The Prison Tower:

deco.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darth Slaughter said:
There was a silver snake statue, given by those goblins in britannia sewers (and was related to the world pagan and serpent isle). I aways thought it was the basilisk, but the ritual never worked.

The serpent statue is one of the items you start ultima VII part two with before the storm teleports it away. Ultima UW II is between ultima 7 (and expansion) and ultima 7 part 2 (and expansion).

Busy guy the avatar.

SCO said:
Darth Slaughter said:

The serpent statue is one of the items you start ultima VII part two with before the storm teleports it away. Ultima UW II is between ultima 7 (and expansion) and ultima 7 part 2 (and expansion).

Busy guy the avatar.

Yes, and in serpent Isle you had two other statues, and those 3 would relate to chaos, order and balance.

And the avatar loses the item in the imbalance storms jost at the start of the game.

But what is intriguing is that when the goblin gives the statue, all he knew about it was the man wjo gave him was dying and only spoke one word: pagan. It was so great playing this games and looking forward for the future games and see that they had a plan. Then came ultima 9.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I began to see the cracks in their plan about 2 hours into Ultima 8.

Then the whole thing shattered like a mirror when Ultima 9 finally rolled round.

Silellak

Cipher
Unkillable Cat said:
I began to see the cracks in their plan about 2 hours into Ultima 8.

Then the whole thing shattered like a mirror when Ultima 9 finally rolled round.

Yeah, the worst part about Ultima 9 was that all the fantastic and sometimes subtle build-up in the previous games amounted to jack shit in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom