Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play STRIFE ! (Finished.)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
posting in epic thread

wjw

Augur
gzdoom2009-07-1117-06-05-73.jpg

Page +1. We reached it. Hurray!

Turok

Erudite
How i miss this game those days i dont know, i just remember smoke doom 1 and doom 2 non stop :D

Great LP, that girl was always on the ship then?? why she looks soo dark when she come out from the machine??

There is a posibility that we can see all the finals or if someone can point where i can watch then.

Thankz for this Great LP.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, we defeated the Entity, assembled the all-powerful Sigil and got the girl. But do we know the full story? What would have happened if we had sided with the Oracle? Hmm, Let's see...

EPISODE XVI : EPILOGUE IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE.

Strife_0425.jpg

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
Hmm, I always suspected Macil. He's constantly sending other people to their deaths while he sits safely in his headquarters. He will pay.

gzdoom2009-07-1401-10-18-35.jpg

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
Macil, the Oracle just exposed your treason. Do you have anything relevant to say ?

Strife__Macyl.jpg
What? Why would he... I mean how could you belie-

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
I guess not.

gzdoom2009-07-1401-10-29-28.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-10-43-89.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-10-49-51.jpg

Strife__blackbird.png
It seems the Oracle was telling the truth about this. Let's go back to him.

gzdoom2009-07-1401-11-48-06.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-12-17-48.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-12-43-64.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-23-26-09.jpg

Strife_Loremasters_voice.jpg
I AM THE LOREMASTER. WE ALL SERVE THE ONE GO-

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
DIE !!!

gzdoom2009-07-1401-23-15-29.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-23-43-01.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-23-51-73.jpg

Strife__blackbird.png
Another Sigil piece. We are one step closer to freedom, and you are one step closer to me... Let's get back to the Oracle !

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
:D YES MA'AM !

gzdoom2009-07-1401-30-21-34.jpg

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
I don't understand.

Strife__Oracle.jpg
The Sigil will open the door and free the spirit which will cleanse this planet and let me live forever. I will strip this world of it's energies and find new worlds to conquer.

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
You know that I can't let you do that.

Strife__Oracle.jpg
You can if you're dead.

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
Oh yeah? You can't kill me if I kill you first.

Strife__Oracle.jpg
I can, if you-

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
HAIII-YAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! (warcry)

gzdoom2009-07-1401-31-07-32.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-31-13-39.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-31-16-81.jpg

Strife__blackbird.png
You wield the power of the complete sigil. What do you say we get some closure. Let's see what the Loremaster's been protecting.

gzdoom2009-07-1401-32-28-89.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-35-50-79.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-38-49-92.jpg

Strife__blackbird.png
Welcome, I've waited for this moment. I've waited for a fool like you... TO BRING ME MY FREEDOM.

:MINDFUCK!:

Strife__cloud-strife.jpg
What the hell ? Blackbird, what's going on ?

Strife__blackbird_shodan.jpg
YOUR TINY PLANET IS MINE AND YOU'LL WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN !

Can this truly be Blackbird speaking, or is it some kind of trick ? No time to think about this...

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-25-01.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-26-04.jpg

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-31-50.jpg

It's dead. Whatever it was, it's dead... But where is blackbird ? Is she gone ?

nooo.gif

" Yes the evil was gone, but our future was uncertain and clouded with doubt..."

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-42-31.jpg

" It would take generations to purge the virus from our people... If we manage to survive that long. "

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-50-75.jpg

" Whatever the evil wanted, it drained from us the one thing we needeed. It left us without... hope. "

gzdoom2009-07-1401-39-58-75.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, what is the story behind the quest for the Sigil? What events happened behind the scenes? How did simple people experience this confrontation? We'll try to shed some light into these matters.

SPECIAL : AN INTERVIEW WITH THE SURVIVORS

-Old man Macguffin has been around a long time and he can tell us many interesting things.

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
I sure do boy, I sure do. Let me tell you, I still remember a time when this land was green and people lived happily.

-You mean before the meteor crashed ?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
Yep. Ahh... these were the times. I was a strapping young lad you know and I had a lot of success with the ladies. I remember that spunky girl, Sally, she was the blacksmith's daughter-

-Yes, yes, that's all very interesting, but what about the meteor ?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
Ah yes the meteor. That damned thing came and destroyed everything. People started to get sick... their bodies mutated. It was horrible.

-It was some kind of virus ?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
Yes, something like that. Something that came along with that meteor. I guess we were all infected, more or less, but some cases were worse than others.

-And what about the Order, how did this cult emerged?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
You see, those that were the most effected, those whom the mutations were the most severe, started hearing voices.

-Voices?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
They claimed it was God that was speaking to them. I don't know if the voices were telling them this, or it was simply because they were desperate to find some hope, but whatever the reason, a new religion was born.

-And they quickly gained power...

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
Yes, it seems the voices shared knowledge of a technology far more advanced than anything we knew. Nobody could stand in their way. Their weapons were devastating.

-And that's when the abductions started ?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
First, those bastards started capturing our women and children. Nobody knows for what reason, but we never saw them again. That's when the resistance started to form. Thankfully we managed to hide some of them underground, or else we would have benn extincted.

-But the abductions continued ?

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
Yes, people still went missing and the rest of us lived in constant fear, we had no other choice but to fight back with a guerrilla war.

-The Front.

Strife__Macguffin.jpg
That's what they called themselves. But I don't know much about them. I was too old for that shit. Maybe you should ask someone that was a member.

Thank you for your time. Let's talk to commander Richter then.

-Mr. Richter, can I ask you some questions ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
Fire away.

-How did the Front fare against the Order?

Strife__Richter.jpg
In the beginning we managed to deliver some blows, but later the Order was always one step ahead from us.

-Do you think that's because of Macil ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
Yes, he quickly advanced in our ranks and he seemed like the perfect leader, but as it turned out he was controlled by the Entity, to a degree at least.

-We'll get back to that later. What was it that gave you the edge to finally get ahead of the Order?

Strife__Richter.jpg
It's definitely because of Cloud Strife. Nobody knows where he came from, but he was exactly what we needed. A resourceful man with leadership abilities that isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

-Um, wasn't he like... an unstoppable killing machine?

Strife__Richter.jpg
That too.

-And then you learned about the Sigil.

Strife__Richter.jpg
Yes, the all-powerful sigil. It's existence was revealed by Macil, for obvious reasons. It seemed like both a blessing and a curse. In the right hands it could prove to be our salvation and in the wrong hands our doom.

-It seems it was torn into pieces.

Strife__Richter.jpg
Yes, one must have it whole in order to wield it's true power. And everyone wanted it for himself.

-But what were their motives ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
Nobody knows for sure, but my guess is that this Entity that came with the comet was already imprisoned and bound by the Sigil. When the meteor crashed the sigil broke and scattered around the land, allowing the Entity to gain some freedom.

-And that's when it released the virus ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
Yes, it must have needed the whole Sigil in order to break free and that's why it started manipulating the people. What it didn't count on, was our own greed.

-Ah, our faulty human nature.

Strife__Richter.jpg
Exactly, when the Emissaries tasted a bit of the power the Sigil had to offer, they decided to keep it for themselves. And that's when the powerplay began between the Oracle and Macil. You see, at that point they were really working against the Order, but also against each other.

-And how does BlackBird fit in?

Strife__Richter.jpg
She's an enigma. Without her help we would never have managed to win, but was she really on our side ? I can't say for sure.

-Has anyone actually seen her while she was working with the front ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
If you're asking me if she was an actual person, then yes she must have been, but in what degree she was infected by the virus, I don't know. She was working directly with Macil in the beginning, but later she continued helping the front.

-So, she was crucial to your success.

Strife__Richter.jpg
Yes, she was. Not only was she coordinating Cloud , but she also provided important information. But as to how she obtained this info, I can't say.

-Then it's possible she was working for the Entity as well ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
That's for your readers to decide. Maybe the Entity just jammed some transmissions and pretended to be Blackbird. Maybe she was being manipulated by the entity at some point. Or maybe it merged with her in the end and decided to live among us.

-And nobody knows where she is now ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
She disappeared along with Cloud Strife. Nobody has seen them, or the Sigil, after the destruction of the Lab and the alien spaceship.

-Do you think they're still here ?

Strife__Richter.jpg
Who knows. All we can do is pick up the pieces and move on.

-Thank you for your time commander !

Strife__Richter.jpg
No problem.

So what do you think really happened, dear readers ?

DISCUSS !!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How... ambiguous.

Thanks for the LP, good sir, I tip my monocle and top hat to you.

Multi-headed Cow

The moral of the story is never trust women who want to kiss you.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Basically the future of the world in strife depends on whether the protagonist gets laid. If he does, everything's cool. If he doesn't, there's no hope. It's the way it should be.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Rohit_N said:
Where did you get the "Interview with Survivors" from?
That was all mine. A summary of the known backstory and some guesses about certain stuff that were not really explained.

Lumpy

Arcane
Okay, this whole Oracle/Macil choice&consequence thing didn't make any goddamn sense.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Sure it does. If you believe Macil and kill the Oracle, you get the best ending because you learn of a cure for the virus. If you believe the Oracle, then you don't.

Mindviolence

Novice
To play strife in XP With great graphics, Download Vavoom, & place the strife1.wad, & voices.wad files from the strife directory into the Vavoom Directory. You can also add 3d modeols & High rez textures, optionally. It also plays DooM (1,2, & Final), Heretic, & Hexen.
You only need thw WAD file from each game.

No, Vavoom is shit.

The only good source port is ZDoom, any other source port that's based off of it.

Great LP. Strife is a seriously under-appreciated game. So well-done.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I played it with GZDOOM (which is probably based in ZDoom) and it offered a great variety of extra options and graphical improvements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom