Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens RPG now "officially canceled."

That huge alien looks like it`s doing some serious toilet business.

Also lol at saying at now instead of earlier and keeping the rumor mill going that it might be not canceled. No real information is avaible except for "it`s going to be pretty tyte". Maybe too tyte to be unleashed on consoleros pistoleros.

I didn't think even the codex would stoop to criticizing whole games with only a vague setting and some concept art for public viewing. It's an excellent way to look like a laughing stock, so gg guys.

denizsi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
What the fuck? Is it Obsidian's?

Those specific concept art images belong to just one of the concept artists who was working on Aliens RPG. If I remember correctly, they were taken from the portfolio page of the artist's own web site. In the end, it is a solid confirmation that Obsidian was looking to further alter rape the classic Alien design even beyond the scope of the first degrees of official exploration deviations (Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection) of the same design.

Hümmelgümpf said:
I fucking hate you, guys. What happened? A lot of you liked MotB and SoZ. Where does this RAGE come from?

Liberal said:
Good riddance. They wouldn't be able to pull it off anyway. They are a sequel/addon studio, and they should stick to that.

Look what they did the one time they managed to come out with their own IP.

Fat Dragon said:
I don't really see anything wrong with those concept arts, but then again I've never really been much of an Alien fan so eh.

There is pretty much an established basic alien design, and even the official fuck ups of the original design didn't deviate that much to change the identity of this creature: a cold killing machine that's an amalgam sexuality and rape in its biomachine-like anatomy and aesthetics.

The concept art hints that Obsidian was prepared to screw that design, and therefore one of the basic premises in Alien universe, for sake of grinding to conform the mainstream RPG standards: low level weapons vs. low level enemies, mid level weapons vs. mid level enemies, high level weapons vs. high level enemies. So, we would likely have several alien sub-types of various themes to accommodate the whole range of character levels players would go through, and If not that, then crazy alien subtypes as boss-fights, though it would be the realistic thing to expect both.

I didn't think even the codex would stoop to criticizing whole games with only a vague setting and some concept art for public viewing. It's an excellent way to look like a laughing stock, so gg guys.

Since you, or most people, can't tell shit from cream cake if your face was buried in either -or both-, I for one don't mind the retarded laughter. You are beyond help of any type, laughing at others with shit oozing out every orifice you have.

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The little guy next to the Alien is for scale genius. This was a concept piece.

The Xenomorphs according to canon absorb some dna traits from host creatures. The two in question here were the behemoth, taken from a very large herbivore, and the second was something were calling a stalker, essentially an Alien that can cloak like a chameleon, taken from a chameleon type creature host. There were also Queens, scouts, soldiers, spitters, and more - including black and red variants for those who know the material.

The game was most certainly NOT a grind fest. Experience was awarded for completing objectives and stealth was greatly encouraged.

Basic gameplay was your party was composed of 3 to 4 members. Party members could be from 1 of 4 different professions, marine, agent, engineer, and ugh...I forget the 4th at the moment .

In addition to stealth, party members could place traps for Aliens, such as turrets, mines, door bombs, and more. Doors could also be welded or cut to slow down Alien movement and create bottlenecks.

There was research, crafting, base defense and much more in the game and working.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Anthony, do you know if Obsidian plans to release any old screenshots or videos or something, like what 3D Realms did after DNF's cancellation?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Fat Dragon said:
Anthony, do you know if Obsidian plans to release any old screenshots or videos or something, like what 3D Realms did after DNF's cancellation?

I have no idea. I only addressed this because you guys have the screens. Really though, what would be the use? Someone could leak actual gameplay footage from our last milestone - it doesn't change that the game is still canceled.

I imagine details will continue to leak out as more artists and designers update their linkedins and other websites.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Fat Dragon said:

I have no idea. I only addressed this because you guys have the screens. Really though, what would be the use? Someone could leak actual gameplay footage from our last milestone - it doesn't change that the game is still canceled.
Yeah, I know but I'd still like to at least see what it looked like in-game, see what your guys' new engine can do.

Multi-headed Cow

FeelTheRads said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Alien escapes the terrible clutches of Obsidian, but Fallout is still in it. Fuck.

Says Fallout 3's biggest fantard...
Hey, Fallout 3 might be a terrible Fallout RPG, but as a freeform vaguely post apocalyptic shooter game it was fun. Obsidian has a bad habit of breaking things that weren't broken, as seen in KotOR2 combat and NWN2 every goddamn thing. They have much better writers than Bethesda, but I don't trust them not to break Bethesda Brand Fallout and try to make the gameplay something it isn't. Or attempt to keep the same gameplay while horribly mangling it in mysterious and irritating ways, like NWN2's camera and animations and spell effects and inventory and JESUS CHRIST EVERYTHING UGH.

If they manage to put together a new large stomping ground with the same gameplay and better, Obsidian writing, I'll be tickled pink. But if they try to dive on it and make a "Fallout 3 As It Should Have Been But We Only Have A Year And The Engine Doesn't Really Support It So We're Gonna Try To Do It Even Though It Won't Really Work" then son of a bitch.

And to be honest I'd be happier with a full Fallout 3 expansion. Less likely to have issues with mods that way. There's another area Obsidian might fuck it up, mod support. Uggggggh why the hell do they keep getting sequels for other people's games.

denizsi

Arcane
The Xenomorphs according to canon absorb some dna traits from host creatures.

I knew this explanation would come from someone, being the prime justification to rape an elegant design beyond recognition, because, you know, developers feel compelled to be original, albeit in completely unoriginal ways.

This is the most basic classic approach to expand any established IP with a certain amount of lack of details. Instead of building on the unknown and adding to the enigma/mystery and being original in truly original ways, developers have to show what clever ideas they have by expanding the universe in inane ways at the comfort of being intellectually lazy. "Here, I created a new Alien design for players to face" "Cool". How original. Adding just more cosmetic variation.

This is also the first thing any amateur and completely clueless modding team attempts to do (but fail). I've probably seen hundreds of large scale mods for various games in the last 10+ years that I was at least remotely interested in for one reason or another, and didn't see it reach fruition because of the would-be modders being clueless fucks who think that throwing together a whole lot of concept art images, and then by some stretch of effort, a bunch of new weapons, levels and creatures make a game.

The two in question here were the behemoth, taken from a very large herbivore

How original. I hadn't realized that humans in Alien universe have discovered any kind of advanced and existing extra-terrestrial life forms in the universe. Though to be honest, I wasn't a big fan or follower of whatever Dark Horse, or anybody else, did to it.

and the second was something were calling a stalker, essentially an Alien that can cloak like a chameleon

You are kidding, right? Tell me you are. Probably not, though, what with the temporary invisibility thing in combat in Alpha Protocol.

You aren't trolling, are you?

The game was most certainly NOT a grind fest. Experience was awarded for completing objectives and stealth was greatly encouraged.

Basic gameplay was your party was composed of 3 to 4 members. Party members could be from 1 of 4 different professions, marine, agent, engineer, and ugh...I forget the 4th at the moment .

In addition to stealth, party members could place traps for Aliens, such as turrets, mines, door bombs, and more. Doors could also be welded or cut to slow down Alien movement and create bottlenecks.

There was research, crafting, base defense and much more in the game and working.

Sounds actually good and also a lot better than I've suddenly come to expect were you still doing it. Now I don't know whether to be glad for that as this shows Obsidian might be better than I've thought of them, or sad that Obsidian isn't doing this game in the end

Still, a behemoth alien? And a cloaking alien?

Note that I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of it. I stand by every single word I wrote, and I mean it.

Anthony Davis said:
Fat Dragon said:

I imagine details will continue to leak out as more artists and designers update their linkedins and other websites.

Such things are always good, no matter how tragic they may or may not be. Like Van Buren design documents and the tech demo, for instance, they give everyone, including angry cunts like me, a better perspective and an opportunity to appreciate (or further insult) a developer team for not just what they did but what they could have done, for better or worse. Plus, such things are always a source of inspiration for anyone interested in game design.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Sigh. I'm not sure why i really bother with this since the game has been canceled...

What you call "developers feel compelled to be original, albeit in completely unoriginal ways" is not even remotely accurate in this case.

First of all, I only addressed the two pictures. I didn't talk at all about the story and what was going on at the location for the game.

Second, real life (edit) players who would have played Aliens:RPG more than likely would have known what an Alien is, probably a queen, scout, and even soldier too, while characters in the game would be ignorant of them as a whole, until they meet them, you cannot expect players to selectively 'forget' or ignore the Aliens movies and the other video games. If you are making the game we are making where there are moments of horror, you have to give them something new.

Third, the cloaking alien wasn't so much a visual cloaker, as just an alien that was difficult to pick up on the motion tracker. All of the aliens were hard to spot when they are hidden in the alien creep.

Fourth, these two new creatures were used sparingly.

Again - not that any of this matters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
The Xenomorphs according to canon absorb some dna traits from host creatures. The two in question here were the behemoth, taken from a very large herbivore, and the second was something were calling a stalker, essentially an Alien that can cloak like a chameleon, taken from a chameleon type creature host.
This is silly. Next time hire talented designers.

After how AP is turned out to be I won't believe it until I'll see it. Considering that Aliens were for consoles too. And the game won't sell on consoles unless you blow the shit up every 5 seconds. And Obsidian's current mentality "we cater to the lowest common denominator" doesn't help.

Always sounds good in talks.

bat_boro

Arcane
Mr. Davis, I can see your disappointment, but please, do bother to answer our questions, as I feel there are a lot of people here that would have just loved to play your game. I really have a great respect for what you guys were trying to do, but, well - shit happens

So on to the questions - could you share how far was this game into development?
How much time did it needed to be finished (before being put on hold and then cancelled)
And I don't think you could share this info, but I'll ask anyway - why was the project cancelled?
Did you not meet the milestons, was SEGA not satisfied with the quality of your work, or is there something else?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
bat_boro said:
Mr. Davis, I can see your disappointment, but please, do bother to answer our questions, as I feel there are a lot of people here that would have just loved to play your game. I really have a great respect for what you guys were trying to do, but, well - shit happens

So on to the questions - could you share how far was this game into development?
How much time did it needed to be finished (before being put on hold and then cancelled)
And I don't think you could share this info, but I'll ask anyway - why was the project cancelled?
Did you not meet the milestons, was SEGA not satisfied with the quality of your work, or is there something else?

I was only on the project for about 5 months and then moved to SoZ, so I can't speak with 100% certainty on any of the managerial reasons.

Sega is, and I gain nothing by saying this, a GREAT publisher to work with. They work hard from their end and are really supportive. Still, economic times are hitting everyone hard, and Sega took a rather large loss this year, somewhere like 260+ million. My guess is they needed to cut corners and focus on projects that were near to completion, like AvP and Alpha Protocol..

Alien still had something like 20 months left.

As far as our end goes? Sure mistakes were made, the Onyx engine was being built from the ground up and we were integrating a LOT of new technology.

Now with our current secret project, we are using a VERY fast and sweet version of Onyx along with our new UBER toolset and the project is REALLY cooking.

Do we regret losing Aliens? Absolutely. It was a great project and Sega is awesome. But who know, the game industry is funny and I've seen crazy things in my 5 years. I mean who would have guessed we would get a chance at Fallout again?

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
Obsidian had a chance at Fallout before?

Rumor has it that big parts of SoZ were based on old FO3 design documents.

Guess its not a rumor anymore :lol:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
MetalCraze said:
Obsidian had a chance at Fallout before?

That was a poorly worded sentence.

I was referring to Black Islers who worked on FO1, FO2, and Van Buren now getting a chance to work on FO.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So will it contain just as many pop-culture references and movie quotes as FO2? This is a big canon now, I hope Feargus and Co. didn't lost their touch and will keep the same level of quality in New Reno 2 or New Vegas or whatever the addon to a shooter with nerfed SPECIAL that is being made in 1 year is called.

bat_boro

Arcane
Well, Aliens RPG really sounds interesting, but if we look at the bright side, at least one good thing came out of it - Obsidian now have a finished engine to work with.

Mr. Davis, I don't know if that hint (But who know, the game industry is funny and I've seen crazy things in my 5 years. ) was intentional or not on your part, and I don't know what meaning you put there, but recently I read a statement from some SEGA guy, who said that Aliens RPG project is in no way dead (which is now proved otherwise, but as you said - who knows?) and that their first priority is to make AvP and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

So is there any chance we might see something like Aliens RPG in the future? I mean, why not, you've got a finished engine now, so development would be a lot quicker and you've got the assets anyway.
Is that what you meant or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
So will it contain just as many pop-culture references and movie quotes as FO2? This is a big canon now, I hope Feargus and Co. didn't lost their touch and will keep the same level of quality in New Reno 2 or New Vegas or whatever the addon to a shooter with nerfed SPECIAL that is being made in 1 year is called.
You big dumb motherfucker, Feargus himself has already stated many times that he was very ashamed of the stuff in Fallout 2. He won't let stuff like talking deathclaws and plants in again. The Fallout 3 gameplay they have to go with on the other hand...Well, the game is pretty much doomed to be a little above average at best. Masterful writing and the best C&C in the world can't cover up F3's truly atrocious gameplay.
So is there any chance we might see something like Aliens RPG in the future?
I'd be very happy if they just keep their Alien RPG designs and ideas, and make their own original sci-fi/horror RPG with them one day. The thought being stuck in giant ship or station sealing up doors and setting traps for god-knows-what in a desperate attempt to stay alive sounds great. Makes me think of a System Shock 2 with squad control. :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
You big dumb motherfucker, Feargus himself has already stated many times that he was very ashamed of the stuff in Fallout 2. He won't let stuff like talking deathclaws and plants in again.
Apparently he wasn't ashamed enough when he struck a deal with not just anyone but Bethesda who only makes games for morons (you can't be naive to believe they will let NV to be a trOo Fallout) to make a mod for Fallout3 which 100% will contain every bad thing from F3 apart from the writing maybe (because nobody can be that bad) and also a one year development cycle - insta-dooming his mod. Not mentioning that the location is New Vegas which suspiciously stinks of New Reno - obviously we will have to deal with stupid mafia and casinos in a PA setting again. Then again it can't be worse than Beth's aliens and swamps which doesn't say much.

denizsi

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
What you call "developers feel compelled to be original, albeit in completely unoriginal ways" is not even remotely accurate in this case.

and then

Anthony Davis said:
Second, real life (edit) players who would have played Aliens:RPG more than likely would have known what an Alien is, probably a queen, scout, and even soldier too, while characters in the game would be ignorant of them as a whole, until they meet them, you cannot expect players to selectively 'forget' or ignore the Aliens movies and the other video games. If you are making the game we are making where there are moments of horror, you have to give them something new.

Funnily enough, I don't remember such new wild designs from either AVP games to give "the players something new". The games just kept throwing aliens at you, and guess what: mainstream reception was very high and they sold very good.

This leads me to think that you have adapted so good to unoriginal way of thinking, you don't even realize you're being unoriginal. You have this whole angle of "gotta shock/surprise the player!" mindset. Compare that to total screen time of the alien in Alien, the best movie in the series: it is pretty insignificant. Yet, it's still a brilliant movie even after you've seen it several times and the initial shock of finally facing the alien washes off. Now, Aliens was pretty much the opposite of that and introduced a lot of new things, but apart from the queen, nothing really served to "shock/surprise the audience with new & cool stuff!", plus they didn't rape the basic alien design beyond recognition, which is about, quoting myself:

a cold killing machine that's an amalgam of sexuality and rape in its biomachine-like anatomy and aesthetics.

If people bought into this with 4 mainstream titles in cinema and 2 mainstream games, they will buy into it with more games. Somehow, I think that if either movie in the series suddenly started to show bizarro aliens, it would be pretty much disconnected from the rest of the series, and would hardly make a profit, if at all.

Tell me I'm wrong on either of all those points and explain, instead of sighing.

Anthony Davis said:
First of all, I only addressed the two pictures. I didn't talk at all about the story and what was going on at the location for the game.

Indulge us. I had some faith in an Aliens RPG because the setting is full of intriguing elements. Corporate interest conflicts, humanitarian questions, basic survival with limited supplies, camping among survivors ie. civil unrest, conflict between civilians and military/security force in a situation going to hell millions of miles away from anywhere that's somewhere in the universe etc. An Aliens RPG may have had a lot more interesting situations for a good RPG than most other settings.

Third, the cloaking alien wasn't so much a visual cloaker, as just an alien that was difficult to pick up on the motion tracker. All of the aliens were hard to spot when they are hidden in the alien creep.

How so? It's a motion tracker. Did the "cloaking" alien move super slow and smooth, with a startling patience to do so? Or too fast for motion trackers to pick with their tracking intervals, and perhaps intelligent to notice that that beeping sound emanating from those weak flesh creatures has something to do with signaling his location?

Fourth, these two new creatures were used sparingly.

Ie. boss fights? Because if you have new creature types, and they are used sparingly, in video gaming jargon, it almost always means boss fight.

Again - not that any of this matters.

It does to us, players, and those of us who sound bitter may not be giving it out, but speaking for myself at the least, I appreciate any bit of information you give here.

Fat Dragon said:
I'd be very happy if they just keep their Alien RPG designs and ideas, and make their own original sci-fi/horror RPG with them one day. The thought being stuck in giant ship or station sealing up doors and setting traps for god-knows-what in a desperate attempt to stay alive sounds great. Makes me think of a System Shock 2 with squad control. :)

Actually, it sounds better than System Shock 2 on certain aspects on paper.

As far as our end goes? Sure mistakes were made, the Onyx engine was being built from the ground up and we were integrating a LOT of new technology.

Now with our current secret project, we are using a VERY fast and sweet version of Onyx along with our new UBER toolset and the project is REALLY cooking.

At least something good seems to have come out of this. Here's hoping that whatever this secret project is, it's the kind that leaves better initial impressions than AP.

Rosh

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
You big dumb motherfucker, Feargus himself has already stated many times that he was very ashamed of the stuff in Fallout 2.

He was supposedly ashamed of many other things, but that hasn't stopped him yet.

Hory

Erudite
My producer sense tells me this could have been a good RPG and at least better than Alpha Protocol. Seems like the loftier the goal, the more likely that termination will occur. And such a loss of creativity, I don't think something like this is a problem in other industries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom