Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on a New Game - Feargus Urquhart interview

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/f ... uhart1.php

GB: Aside from the Aliens RPG, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas, do you have any other unannounced titles in development? If so, how long have you been actively developing the title(s)?

Feargus: We have been working on another title for the last four months that we can't talk about yet. It's going really well though and the team is really excited. It's using our own internal engine so we are really able to do things our way based upon everything we've learned about making RPGs in the past ten to fifteen years. Don't take that as a silent slam on Unreal - it's not. Our engine, like Unreal, is a tool and different jobs can be done better with tools that are made for them. There are things that our engine may never do as well as Unreal, but likewise there are things that our engine will do that will be better than Unreal.

Cool! Also of note, he does NOT correct the interviewer that they are NOT working on Aliens anymore...? :HOPE:

In before skyway!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Only in development for four months? Snore. Nice to know they've got more stuff in the works but we won't be hearing about this one for a long time.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Meh, nothing new. I was hoping for some more info.

About the Aliens RPG being in production: I've read in Polish gaming magazine that someone from Sega confirmed that both Aliens RPG and the other Aliens suspended game will be published. I'd post scan and a translation but I must wait for my brother to sent me it (probably not for the next twelve hours). Or if some of the Polish Codexer might check it: it was in the CD-Action's AvP preview.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about being in that world and running around in it and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.
I hate to be the bastard who brings this shit up again, but he can't be serious. Running around?

Of course, since they're now in partnership with Bethesda, he can't be (too) critical.

EDIT: He sure did nail that Bethesda part though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SimpleComplexity said:
I`m sure their next project will have something to do with RPG,

Well the new game is using the Onyx Engine so that == an RPG game. So far that is good.

Also from the interview:

GB: Do you think we'll ever see a third PC-only, non-MMO Neverwinter Nights? Why or why not? Would Obsidian be interested in tackling another sequel?

Feargus: We'd be jazzed about tackling a sequel. We learned so much from making NWN2 and would love to make another one. As for there actually being another one, personally, I would be surprised. If there was, there would be a lot of brand confusion between what Cryptic is doing and what we are doing. What we'd love to do instead is tackle something like Baldur's Gate 3 or create our own new fantasy world - or have we already been doing that? :)

OMG! It's the NEW NEW Shit!

Black

Arcane
Unless it's a turn-based hardcore rpg you can count me out.
Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about being in that world and running around in it and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.
What the fuck is this? I don't remember FO devs saying shit like that before FO3. There's "not wanting to talk badly about colleges" and then there's pure sellout. Because if Fallout is all about running around in a world then F:PoS is a great Fallout game after all.
Unless that was a hidden stab at beth but somehow I doubt it.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: Obsidian working on a New Game - Feargus Urquhart interv

Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about being in that world and running around in it

As much as I respect Feargus, this is actually so facepalm-worthy I can't bring myself to even laugh at what he said.

Interesting part about the new game, I was hoping for Icewind Dale 3, but a completely new franchise might be a good idea after all.
Not happy about the possibility of PC games being built around DLC, though. Not at all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
H ehas a good point. From a certain pint of view, FO *is* about running the world. And, WTF is wrong with that?

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Hey, he worked on The Lost Vikings. Cool, I didn't know that.

And that "running around" bit sounds very Todd, like the "for us, fantasy means riding on horseback, killing things" stunt. I do hope it was a very elaborate jab he managed to sneak through the PR bull.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Volourn said:
H ehas a good point. From a certain pint of view, FO *is* about running the world. And, WTF is wrong with that?
Do you mean you have to drink a pint of beer to unlock a secret mode where you can play as a world's supreme ruler? Wow, I've never found this secret.

Black

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
You dumbfucks, he meant that it was about exploring a post-apoc world. Which it is. So what's the problem?
Oh yeah, so I guess STALKER could be called Fallout? Yeah, no, Fallout isn't just "running around in a world" and it's not "running around in a post-apo world". Dumbfuck dipshit.
From a certain pint of view, FO *is* about running the world.
Yeah, and that's a point of view of a FO developer. Amusing the further in the future, the simpler Fallout's design becomes.
10 years ago it was "p&p emulating, hardcore rpg set in a post-apo world influenced by 50s pop culture", now it's "running around in post-apo world".
And here I thought only NEW games are getting dumbed down, but it turns out even old games get the same treatment.

Lumpy

Arcane
Ultimately, that is what Fallout is all about; it's about using a keyboard and mouse and accomplishing gameplay goals with them and that's what Bethesda did with Fallout 3.

elander_

Arbiter
Don't forget realistic boobies. One of the greatest advances of modern role-playing technology.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh for fucks fucking sake and for the love of the Black Baby Jesus!

What the fuck do you think he was going to respond with?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
elander_ said:
Don't forget realistic boobies. One of the greatest advances of modern role-playing technology.

Word.

This is the RPG that I and several others have been working on. Feargus has actually made time available from running the business to also contribute in design and production roles too.

Obviously we can't talk about it yet, but we have a lot of great and talented people working on it:

George Zeits
Tony Evans
Nathaniel Chapman
Daniel Teh
Adam Brennecke
Rich Taylor
Matthew Campbell
Kevin Lin
Matt Festa

...just to name a few.

Silellak

Cipher
Anthony Davis said:
elander_ said:

Word.

This is the RPG that I and several others have been working on. Feargus has actually made time available from running the business to also contribute in design and production roles too.

Obviously we can't talk about it yet, but we have a lot of great and talented people working on it:

George Zeits
Tony Evans
Nathaniel Chapman
Daniel Teh
Adam Brennecke
Rich Taylor
Matthew Campbell
Kevin Lin
Matt Festa

...just to name a few.

Just tell us this:

Is it, indeed...The New Shit?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
micmu said:
I hope we're talking MoTB-grade material here and not AP!

Well, Ziets was creative lead on MoB. Wonder what role he got here.

New shit or not, should be interesting to keep an eye on.

PS: Happy Obsidian Day, Anthony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom