Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3: Aliens - Since Vampires weren't Enough

Ausir

Arcane
Same for floaters, though I'm not sure what the heck kind of animals they're supposed to be (some kind of worm?).

They're flatworms mutated with FEV, mentioned in one of the FO1 holodisks.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:
Same for floaters, though I'm not sure what the heck kind of animals they're supposed to be (some kind of worm?).

They're flatworms mutated with FEV, mentioned in one of the FO1 holodisks.

Isn't that just an assumption?

Ausir

Arcane
Isn't that just an assumption?

Well, it's not stated outright, but they do look somewhat like giant flatworms. I asked Chris Taylor and he can't remember exactly, but said it's probably right.

At least there's more in-game basis for it than for wanamingos being experiments.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Stereotypical Villain said:
Flatworms? Guess they were pulling things out of their arse when they thought of that one.

If they went ahead to include flatworms they should have at least had the decency to include penis fencing, what what?

Luzur

Good Sir
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Cats are probrably rare in the fallout universe, at least normal domestic cats. Wild mutant versions, on the other hand...

And why the Master never threw TWO people inside the Vats at the same time? That would be fucking weird.

well, according to the cat-hating ESF lore folks they where ALL eaten by the population.

even Pumas and Cougars appearently. :?

got almost to the point of flamewar in one of the threads that discussed why no other mutated animals is present in Fallouts.

Luzur

Good Sir
Ausir said:
well, according to the cat-hating ESF lore folks they where ALL eaten by the population.

It's actuall from FO2. See:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cat

And why the Master never threw TWO people inside the Vats at the same time? That would be fucking weird.

Centaurs are a result of various people and animals being thrown together into the FEV vats.

yeah i know, but cougars and pumas too? thats a pretty far stretch but screw it, those threads on ESF was enough. :x

Lingwe

Liturgist
The thing I'm wondering about is how they plan on explaining the existence of this swamp when they've already shown that even 200 years is supposedly not enough time for any sort of plant growth beyond a few shrubs throughout the area nearby Washington.

Lingwe said:
The thing I'm wondering about is how they plan on explaining the existence of this swamp when they've already shown that even 200 years is supposedly not enough time for any sort of plant growth beyond a few shrubs throughout the area nearby Washington.

The same way that Washington after 20 nukes and 200 years looks in pretty decent shape? Surprisingly, Bethesda didn't really care about coherent art direction. What a surprise...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Stereotypical Villain said:
They sure built sturdy power generators before the war. Oh, and computers! And light bulbs! Not to mention cloathing.
But that is evened out by the survivors not needing any supplies!

Luzur

Good Sir
yeah the still working computers where a mystery to me, im not sure my computer could survive a nuclear war and being switched on for 200 years straight without serious maintanence, likewise with those lights that where shining everywhere in houses and subway tunnels, who changes the lightbulbs?

and the robots?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
An honest guess on how this alien abduction quest will play out, based on previous known quests from their games.

Quest journal will spontaneously tell you, "I have heard rumors about flying saucers in the countryside. I should go and investigate."

You go to the place marked for the quest, and you see a lone NPC standing idly in the place. On seeing you, however, he runs at you, reciting a looping dialogue where he is panicking. Brief exchange between you and him, where he says some incomprehensible stuff, and you get some arbitrary options where you can try to prod him, but to no avail.

Walking further, some triggered cinematic of light flashing will take place. Inside the alien vessel, a long passive first-person cinematic will take place with these aliens, before they go away. Your journal pops up again to give you a hint about escaping.

Short romp through alien ship to find your gear, kill aliens, subquest to rescue some fellow human, before you find a teleporter and come back as you came.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lingwe said:

Maybe Harold's twin-brother who has a tree called Rob has traveled to that swamp and the tree has grown bigger and all that.

Andhaira

Arcane
Say, how is the nuke launcher in this game? Also how do you survive a shot from it?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shannow said:
Strawman. So, you first.

Seriously? Well, let's start with BoS and Enclave and Super Mutants. All fucked up from the previous versions.

BoS, goodie good knights in shiny armor, instead of the reclusive technology-hoarding zealots they were earlier. Oh and they just "decided" to travel across the continent. Yup.

Enclave, which was destroyed in F2 and now is just a nazi/imperium-clone. Uuh yeah.

Super Mutants, which were created by FEV on the West Coast AND were sterile, are now on the East Coast with enough numbers to rival horny rabbits. Oh and they got NEW mutations which make them even bigger and meaner, which makes perfect sense since the FEV is gone and they are... sterile!

I know Betsoft tried to make some backstory how the players ended up on East Coast but it was stupid as fuck, so yeah. They've alread shat upon the lore for good.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In FO2 you learn that super mutants were not sterile after all, it just took them many years, after their transformation, to "get their juices going" . Marcus told you this, when he was wondering if he impregnated the hooker in new reno.

And the main problem with FO3 is not that they changed some elements of the setting , but the fact that the dialog, story and lore are mostly crap. So every new element they add/change/twist is almost certainly going to be childish and stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom