Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas - By Obsidian, For Bethesda

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
J.E. Sawyer said:
*does a wheelie through the thread*

sup

'sup Sawyer? Will you finally get the chance to do your changes to SPECIAL that you wanted to do with Van Buren this time around? Not that I agreed with all of them back then, but at least you had some ideas.

Oh, and no realistic gun caliber arguments this time around, m'kay? I'd say the setting is clearly one where bigger is better, hence 10 mm for "small" handguns and abominations like 14 mm for hand cannons. Fuck it, as long as there's a lack of retarded weapons I'm happy.

Fyz

Scholar
I'm looking forward for this. Sounds quite promising.
Now all we need is Fargo's Wasteland2 annoncement for post-apocaliptic heaven.

St. Toxic

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:

dunce.jpg

xuerebx

Erudite
Good news, maybe we'll get something different. FO3 kept my attention for 3 months, much more than any other game these past 5 years
e5002141.gif

elander_

Arbiter
Of course this is good news. Only a dumbfuck would think otherwise.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
"New Vegas"
Wasn't Van Buren set in Nevada?

And also, the question that nobody has asked yet: linear or open-world?

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Pseudofool said:
Word is your the lead on this. True?
Yes. I'm the project director and lead designer. I can't complain.

Kthan75 said:
J.E., when you were working on Van Buren, the Interplay forums were full of insteresting discussions about the game's development and many people appreciated that.
Any chance we'll see something like that now?
Certainly, though it's too early to discuss right now. Sorry.

Silellak

Cipher
Dicksmoker said:
"New Vegas"

And also, the question that nobody has asked yet: linear or open-world?

If they use many of the Van Buren ideas (characters, basic plot, etc.), it would also explain how there could be a shorter development cycle.

Don`t know how much " for a while now" is but doesn`t sound like a short development cycle to me. From the interview:
Shack: Was this deal locked down fairly recently? I'm curious because up to the end of last year, Obsidian was working on the Aliens RPG, and they obviously had Alpha Protocol. I'm wondering if the Aliens cancellation was in any way related.

Pete Hines: I don't know. That might be a question for Obsidian whenever we get around to talking a bit more about it, but it was just something that we've been talking with them about for a while now, and working with them for a while now, and we felt like this was the right time to talk about it. We didn't want to wait until E3 and have it get drowned out in the noise of that.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
"New Vegas"
Van Buren dipped into the eastern edge of Nevada, around Hoover Dam. The rest was Colorado/Utah/New Mexico/Arizona.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm betting 5$ that lotsa stuff from VB/Aliens will be used.

And also, if they manage to pull this off nicely, I will never again say a bad thing about Bethesda, because of letting them do that.

However, in case of a different scenario... :rpgcodex:

Mister Arkham

Scholar
J.E. Sawyer said:
Pseudofool said:
Word is your the lead on this. True?

Kthan75 said:
J.E., when you were working on Van Buren, the Interplay forums were full of insteresting discussions about the game's development and many people appreciated that.
Any chance we'll see something like that now?
Certainly, though it's too early to discuss right now. Sorry.

Nice. Glad to see the franchise put into the hands of some of the old guard, even if it is only for a single game. After some thought, I'm most certainly looking forward to this.

Kick ass and take names, gentlemen.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Darth Roxor said:
And also, if they manage to pull this off nicely, I will never again say a bad thing about Bethesda, because of letting them do that.

Letting them do what? Follow Beth's retarded gameplay formula that strayed away from TB, pen and paper-emulating mechanics established in the originals?

xuerebx

Erudite
Oh fuck not the complaining again. Thought that after a few months people would actually stop moaning and move on!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VonVentrue said:
Darth Roxor said:

Letting them do what? Follow Beth's retarded gameplay formula that strayed away from TB, pen and paper-emulating mechanics established in the originals?

Here, bolded something for you.

As for lack of TB, fuck that, I don't give a shit if something is not TB. As for emulating pnp - didn't play fo3, but from what I heard, it had some particularly fucking awful balancing and dumbed down list of skills, but I think those 'cut off' skills can be taken back, and if there's some balancing done to avoid having max levels in all attributes and skills - why the hell not?

Obsidian sucks at proper balancing though, which might be problematic...

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Mr. Teatime said:
And what does 'spin off' mean? Not an RPG? Not directly related to Fallout 3? Something else?
Well, it's obviously a spin-off because it's in a different setting/location. Those guys at Bethesda totally understand stuff like that, don't worry about it.

Catalina

Scholar
Wow. That announcement came out of nowhere and was a surprise.

Cautiously watching this in the hope it'll be as good as it has the potential to be.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
J.E. Sawyer said:
Maybe you can't, but we certainly will if the game isn't to our tastes! Actually, we'll complain anyway, because this is the codex. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom