Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D is reinforcing an Anglo-centric view of the world...

Saw this on Blue's.

There you have it – “dark” and “kinky” are they only two adjectives in the first 25 years of D&D core texts that acknowledge that PCs might be something other than fair-skinned Anglo-Saxons.

While I only have the Player’s Handbook, of the 45 PC illustrations in the volume, there is one non-white character, this time a black man. In 4 editions, published over 30 years with 325 illustrations and 1,691 pages, I found exactly 1 non-white male and 1 none-white female. Note that this includes humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, Halflings, gnomes, and other core non-human races – all white.

If filmed, your average D&D campaign would look something like Birth of a Nation set in Greyhawk.

“As I’ve grown older over the years I’ve continued to enjoy role playing games and my though the games I’ve played have advanced beyond just fighting orcs and finding magic items - but I think that some of those ideas I was exposed to as a child were good lessons that maybe helped me come to terms with ideas that are part of beings a White Nationalist.”

The "Nerd Nite" post is the main meat of the site. I thought his referencing of “Is Faerun Ready for Its First Half-Orc President?" was kind of lulzy.

mountain hare

Scholar
Applegate's Breasts:
D&D is reinforcing an Anglo-centric view of the world...

To which I would respond: "So?"

D&D was invented by Anglo's in an Anglo dominated country for an Anglo customer base. What the hell does the author expect? Why can't people be allowed to dwell in Anglo-centric fantasies if it pleases them?

spectre

Arcane
Err, wow. Some people are desperately trying o find something to be offended by.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Haha, such funny butthurt!

Just for this guy, I will replace orcs with negroes in my next D&D game :D

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the racism in video games is annoying, and it is so because of dnd's mentality. generally results in worse games as well.

Erebus

Arcane
I've played several black characters in NWN 2 games and they stood out more than dwarves, elves or even half-orcs.

I don't know if the anglo-centrism found in D&D is racist, but it's at least quite narrow-minded. Mind you, the same goes for most fantasy novels.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Yeah, that's right. You all thought it was the Jews.

Just for the record, here's a list of all the major PnP systems and the peoples whose agendas they further:

Dungeons and Dragons - Angles (as mentioned)
GURPS - Jutes
Shadowrun - Alans
White Wolf/Vampire - Canadians

Stay vigilant gamers.

spectre

Arcane
They have a whole species of nigga elves in D&D. One of them actually became an icon for the literary faggotry which are D&D novels. I think that makes the butthurt Dyke's complains moot.

Fenril

Scholar
In Jrpgs I have great difficulty in finding a character without slightly alien features that looks heterosexual and/or more than 15 years old.

This japanese aesthetic sense bullshit makes Jrpgs way too nipocentric.

damn those nips.

mondblut

Arcane
Somehow almost every single character in Fallout 3 looks like a nigger.

...or are they just unwashed?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
There are two black iconic characters in third edition, Redgar(fighter) and Alhandra(paladin). It's also pretty clear in many illustrations that Hennet(sorcerer) is of mixed descent, though it's hard to tell what he's a mix of. Being that there are only about 12 iconic characters, I would say that this is fairly representative of real life. There are also large influential and civilized nations in the FR campaign setting that represent Asians(Kara-Tur, which is actually a continent representing many subraces and nations), Blacks(Chult), 'Arabs'(Calimshan, and Zakhara, which is a continent representing many nations and races), Egyptians(Mulhorand), and Native Americans(Maztica, also a continent representing many races and nations). There are also books that run a good 150 pages that detail over 10 human races(all with identical stats and bonus starting feat options), and multiple demihuman subraces that run the whole gamut of color.

This was written by some faggoty nerd that plays White Wolf or Vicent Baker's shit and thinks he's too good for D&D.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't know if the anglo-centrism found in D&D is racist, but it's at least quite narrow-minded. Mind you, the same goes for most fantasy novels."

Meh. I have absolutely no doubt that if D&D were created by a black person, they'd be focusing on 'black-centrism'. Isn't one of the major codes of writing to usually stick with what you know as much a spossible. *shrug* Then again, people wouldn't bitch about that. Because, minorities can't be racist! HAHAHAHA!

Besides, D&D have lots of non white stuff. Kaiserin alreayd pointed out with facst how this artcile is bullshit. Plus, as someone mentioned, Drizzt disproves this so called racism consideirng he's probably the most popular FR character - likely even more than Eliminster.

So... STFU!

Lightknight

Liturgist
Better one well defined anglo-centric view of the world than what we currently have in rl.
Wait, isnt that exactly what we're having in RL today ? Oh well.

Anyway, i kinda wonder, if P.C. gets on PC - would anyone really want to have a fat black lesbian amputee as a main character, hmm ?

mountain hare

Scholar
I thought that the drow weren't innately evil, but were that way mainly due to social influence? Growing up in the Underdark where you are indoctrinated and coerced to worship a sadistic spider queen goddess isn't exactly good for the soul. Eilistraee (who is also a dark skinned drow) realizes this.

As to half orcs, according to wikipedia they 'tend towards chaotic alignments, but have no clear preference towards good or evil. Half-orcs raised and living among orcs are more likely to be evil.' which again hints that it is social influences, not race, that is the primary determinant of temperament in the D&D universe. I've also noted that from a 'narrative' perspective, a sympathetic view is directed towards half-orcs, given that they suffer intolerance and bigotry at the hands of pretty much every race.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yup.

The only ignorance being shown are those who disucss a subject (D&D/FR) that they know very little (if anything) about.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Insane Psychic said:
Wasn't the woman monk character also a non-white? I can't recall correctly.
Oh yeah, Ember is also black. I guess my color blindness kept me from seeing that. That makes a full third of the iconic characters minorities, and not even all of them are human.

ushdugery

Scholar
and wild elves look like some sort of not quite white? maybe hispanic I don't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom