Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 7 defined the RPG genre

Sarvis

Erudite
RainSong said:
Orly? You base your opinion on your experience or do you just write stuff? Cause when I hear someone saying that ff6>ff7 in basically any element I burst out laughing.

Oh, so then you're just retarded. It's ok, I can see how you might be confused by the shiny graphics in FF7. Unfortunately FF6 was superior on every single element EXCEPT graphics. Ok, I'll maybe admit to a tie on music...

Mareus

Magister
Ok, round 2.

You know, I finally figured out where all the hatred for FF7 comes from. You guys probably hate anime. That is the only reasonable explanation. You find the story lacking and dumb, because of typical anime childish humor, cross dressing, characters like Cait Sith, emo soap writing, silly ideas like a lion dressing up as a human and no one recognizing him, etc.

But you see, those things are part of anime. No one says you have to like it, but saying the game sucks because it is true to anime is like saying marvel comic books suck because they are about self righteous faggots who like to dress in colorful tight costumes.

Maybe I am the only one here, but I very often like to play cartonish games and FF7 is exactly that, just set into anime.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mareus said:
Ok, round 2.

You know, I finally figured out where all the hatred for FF7 comes from. You guys probably hate anime. That is the only reasonable explanation. You find the story lacking and dumb, because of typical anime childish humor, cross dressing, characters like Cait Sith, emo soap writing, silly ideas like a lion dressing up as a human and no one recognizing him, etc.

But you see, those things are part of anime. No one says you have to like it, but saying the game sucks because it is true to anime is like saying marvel comic books suck because they are about self righteous faggots who like to dress in colorful tight costumes.

Maybe I am the only one here, but I very often like to play cartonish games and FF7 is exactly that, just set into anime.

I've seen more anime series than I care to count. Akira, Lupin III, Nadesco, Berzerk, Cowboy Beebop, Escaflowne. I could go on. It's always been a guilty pleasure of mine, although I haven't been watching many 'new' series for the past few years.

Here's the deal: No one is saying FFVII sucks just because it's Japanese. Go back and read the complaints. They have nothing to do with that. The writing is mediocre, if verbose. The characters are boring and do not change in any meaningful way. The setting is cliche. The plot is predictable and poorly presented. None of these things are defining characteristics of anime.

Mareus

Magister
Xor said:
Mareus said:
Ok, round 2.

I've seen more anime series than I care to count. Akira, Lupin III, Nadesco, Berzerk, Cowboy Beebop, Escaflowne. I could go on. It's always been a guilty pleasure of mine, although I haven't been watching many 'new' series for the past few years.

Here's the deal: No one is saying FFVII sucks just because it's Japanese. Go back and read the complaints. They have nothing to do with that. The writing is mediocre, if verbose. The characters are boring and do not change in any meaningful way. The setting is cliche. The plot is predictable and poorly presented. None of these things are defining characteristics of anime.
1. I agree with the writing part
2. How can you say the characters do not change when:
a: Cloud is changing all the time
b: Sephiroth changes from a hero to the villian
c: Shinra changes from bad guys to the guys that are also trying to save the planet with their technology
d: Aerie changes from naive flower girl to a saviour of the planet
e: Cait sith changes from a traitor to an ally
I ll stop here, because you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about.
3. The setting is cliche? LOL :facepalm: I won't even comment this stupidity.
4. Plot predictable? LOL! Why do you lie? This really is a lie. THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY YOU COULD HAVE FIGURED OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH CLOUD UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME! THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE FIGURED OUT AERIE IS GONNNA DIE! ETC ETC... Fucking liar

This is what makes me angry. I don't care when people actually say they hate the game because there is an amazing amount of anime dumbfuckery from cross dressing and holes in the story, or that Cait Sith who just forces himself into your party, annoying battle system, or stuff like that. But lying like you know something about the game, when you obviously don't is just fucking atrocious.

This I respect. The guy has a point and it's full of lulz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zHbNzEGWA

Your spewing of bullshit is just annoying lies.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Ah, I see Mareus is once again ignoring all of the points made that prove the game's storyline to be a retarded piece of shit. Except now, he's falling back on saying we hate it simply because we don't like anime.

Fuck, Mareus, if you're too damn stupid to make an actual argument and have to fall back on fail trolling and a link to somebody else's work then just shut up and go die somewhere.

DefJam101

Arcane
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
PS:T
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

The quality of your own writing does as much to reinforce your point as liking Chrono Cross but not knowing it's name. :roll:

I wrote '+ it's sequel' instead of Chrono Cross and now I don't know it's name? :Spot on: syndrome in action.

Maybe I'll surprise you but I won't discuss with you although I don't agree with you (maybe agree as of PS:T from pc games and CT from console games). Instead I'll only say that, you have just showed how rear are games with a story on such high level as that of FF7. Thank you.

I'm assuming you meant to say 'rare'. Not really, no. FF7 has one of the worst stories of any game I've ever played, probably within the top 20 of all-time bad stories. I wanted to name some games with good stories because, like I said with my 'BIG WORDS CAPSLOCK', people assume that a game with the storyline as a major focus automatically has a better story than games with less focus on put on the story. That's not true, even games where the storyline is not a major focus (or at least less of a focus than in FF7) can have better storylines than FF7. Mass Effect has a better storyline than FF7 (just barely..). KOTOR2 has a better storyline than FF7. Metal Gear Solid 1 has a better storyline than FF7. Fuck, Halo has a better storyline than FF7.

Everyone just assumes that the only game that can beat a 'story game' is another 'story game', even if the storyline from Game A is flat out terrible compared to the plotlines of less story-intensive games.

As of your shouting. I really don't understand you and people that share your opinion. I'd like to discuss with you but I'm simply to dumb to provide you with arguments that could change your mind. I mean, if you see a story that long yet not borring, which has many plot twist and little flows, the characters make you care for them and so on and still you call it a weak story then nothing I could write would change your mind.

I must have missed the part where the storyline was long yet not boring, and had characters that made me care for them. :?

Sarvis

Erudite
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

The quality of your own writing does as much to reinforce your point as liking Chrono Cross but not knowing it's name. :roll:

I wrote '+ it's sequel' instead of Chrono Cross and now I don't know it's name? :Spot on: syndrome in action.

Oh is that what that was supposed to mean? I wondered at the plus, what with "it's sequel" being listed on a separate line like a completely different item or something.

Oh, and you still haven't called it by name... which is interesting for someone whose only defense for his crappy argument is to point out he really meant "Chrono Trigger + it's sequel."

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mareus said:
You guys probably hate anime.
You're wrong, Mary Juice! I like anime, I watch it all the time! Ask me anything about anime. I'm a reee-heee-eal anime nut, I tell you!!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

Oh is that what that was supposed to mean? I wondered at the plus, what with "it's sequel" being listed on a separate line like a completely different item or something.

Oh, and you still haven't called it by name... which is interesting for someone whose only defense for his crappy argument is to point out he really meant "Chrono Trigger + it's sequel."
Sarvis, just shut the fuck up. You're embarrassing yourself.

Mareus

Magister
Fat Dragon said:
Ah, I see Mareus is once again ignoring all of the points made that prove the game's storyline to be a retarded piece of shit. Except now, he's falling back on saying we hate it simply because we don't like anime.

Fuck, Mareus, if you're too damn stupid to make an actual argument and have to fall back on fail trolling and a link to somebody else's work then just shut up and go die somewhere.
Excuse me, but you seem either blind or you have major reading comprehension problem. I made 4 points and each one explains Xor is talking bullshit. If you don't like the game, fine. I won't argue with people about it, but it annoys me to see such obvious bullshit spread around. So far I have not seen any arguments that would make me believe FF7 has a bad story. I offered both a link and explained many times what I find amazing about it. If you don't agree, I don't really care, just don't go spitting shit around like the plot was predictable and that characters don't change since the facts speak otherwise.

DefJam101

Arcane
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

lol wut

Sarvis

Erudite
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

lol wut

The level of discourse on the Codex is so very, very high these days... :roll:

Chrono Cross, by the way.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Mareus said:
I won't argue with people about it, but it annoys me to see such obvious bullshit spread around. So far I have not seen any arguments that would make me believe FF7 has a bad story. I offered both a link and explained many times what I find amazing about it.
Except I haven't been spreading bullshit around. Every reason I've gave for the game's story being terrible is based on events that actually happen in the game, AVALANCHE's shitastic plan being my favorite. But hey, if you want to call something so shitty as a plan like that good story telling, be my guest; I don't really care if you like or hate some game. But if you're just going to continue calling me a liar despite that the stuff I've been talking about actually happens in game then I'm gonna spit shit at you and the game as much as possible, you fanboy. I wasn't even really arguing with you heatedly until you started accusing me of lying.
If you don't agree, I don't really care, just don't go spitting shit around like the plot was predictable and that characters don't change since the facts speak otherwise.
It wasn't predictable some of the time and the characters do change. Too bad the plot twists are fucking stupid and the characters are still always shit. The only good character in the game was probably Vincent.

Already explained how the AVALANCHE world saving plan was fucking retarded. And since the entire first part of the story focuses around that then a large part of the story is fucking retarded.

Then there's that part where Hojo tries to breed a human with a dog. Yeah, I'm sure that will work.

The only reason Aeris dies is because she runs off after Sephiroth by herself instead of going there with everybody else and their protection. While Aeris's death itself wasn't predictable, it was pretty obvious that somebody of the party was going to die. When you first meet Cait Sith he reads your fortune, which just happens to be the same damned forshadowing that was used to hint at a character death in Chrono Trigger.

Then there's Sephiroth. First he wants to blow the planet up with a meteor. Then in the sequel movie Advent Chilren he changes his mind and instead wants to turn the planet into a spaceship so he can travel across the stars. Okay then buddy, make up your mind.

It was pretty obvious from the beginning that Cloud was batshit insane so it wasn't that surprising when he had a breakdown. Not sure why so many people claim this to be a great and unexpected plot twit.

Shinra is chasing after Sephiroth and the promise land for a good part of the game. Early on Sephiroth invades a ship they're on, kills a bunch of random mooks...but for some reason completely ignores the president who is on the same boat, the man who is on a manhunt for him. Bad story telling.

I could poke some more holes but what would be the point? You'll just say it's because I hate anime or that I'm lying. But by all means, carry on. You're amusing.

DefJam101

Arcane
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Sarvis said:
DefJam101 said:
Chrono Trigger +
It's sequel

lol wut

The level of discourse on the Codex is so very, very high these days... :roll:

Chrono Cross, by the way.

:lol:

Mareus

Magister
Fat Dragon, I am well aware of the story holes. I said it many times, I just don't find them game breaking since I tend to look at the game from a childish perspective. It's a freaking interactive anime cartoon. It tries to be childish. But what you described I wouldn't call holes since you are clueless like Xor. There are other holes in the story, some intentional, but these you mentioned, are not it. Allow me to elaborate your cluelessness.

Now from what I have read of your complaints, you obviously don't understand the story. You mentioned that Sephiroth could have killed Rufus Shinra when he was hiding on that ship, but you forget to mention one crucial thing, but I am not surprised since a lot of people have trouble understanding the story because it gives you so many explanations and lets you figure it out yourself. On that ship, it was not Sephiroth. That is explained later in the story. Remember, that it was said Jenova can take any shape she wants? On that ship it was Jenova. Sephiroth was in that huge block of ice all that time and the parts of Jenova were starting to gather where Sephiroth was trapped -> that was the reunion. Jenova was manipulating bitch and manipulation is her greatest power. She needed Rufus and that is why she didn't kill him. She needed him because it was Shinra company who was producing clones of Sephiroth. And Rufus was a threat to her, just like Cloud was -> in case you are not getting it, they were no threat. They were used.

This is what i am talking about. People just don't understand the story and start writing about things they didn't get and automatically the story is bad.

I also already explained that Avalanche were trying to blow up the reactors. Since reactors drain all the spiritual energy of the planet, if you destroy them, the draining of energy would stop. I don't see anything retarded here, and characters on more than one occasion mention how they have done terrible things for the survival of the planet and how awful they feel about it.

Then you mention Sephiroth and again you show your lack of knowledge of facts. Sephiroth did not try to destroy the planet with the meteor. He wanted to make a huge wound on the planet, since it is explained more than once that the planet heals itself when wounded by amassing huge quantities of lifestream on the wound. Lifestream was spiritual energy of all living beings and he wanted to merge itself with the lifestream and in doing so become a God. Furthermore there is a lot of evidence that points to Jenova being behind everything, controling him like a puppet. Again, if you actually followed the story you would see it is not so simple as everyone here for some reason claims.

And it was obvious something was wrong with Cloud from beginning, but I doubt anyone here could actually figure it out until the end of the game when everything becomes much clearer.

But I agree with you on one point. Advent Children was shit.

Edit:
Sorry, forgot about the Aerie mating with Red XIII. Let me just put it this, way... I have seen weirder stuff in fantasy settings, especially anime. They were in some weird chamber, so maybe it had something to do with it. I have no clue how Hojo wanted to make it work and frankly I don't want to know. LOL.

Edit2:
Oh yeah, and again you demonstrate your cluelessness by mentioning Aerie going all alone after Sephiroth. LOL! You really didn't get the story. If it is so simple like you claim it is, how come you didn't get it? LOL.
1. I already said Aerie didn't go after Sephiroth. She went to that place to activate the holy materia since her dead mother told her it is the only thing it can save the planet. She new, it was not up to Cloud or the Shinra to save the planet, it was up to her. She knew how powerful Sephiroth is and she didn't want to endanger the rest if it was all up to her. Again, this is something you discover later in the game. And she knew she would have to die in order to activate the white materia which makes it all the more tragic.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I like Shinning Force 2... Any other JRPG I tried to play after that was pretty much shit... partly because of the combat system.

Fez

Erudite
Are we still arguing about crappy emofest Japanese games?

Our time would be better spent attacking Peter instead.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Chrono Cross had a damned good soundtrack though and it had a great art style, so fuck you guys and your fat wives.
Fez said:
Are we still arguing about crappy emofest Japanese games?

Our time would be better spent attacking Peter instead.
Mareus = Peter Molyneux :)
Besides, its been entertaining proving to Mareus that he's the one who is actually clueless.
Mareus said:
Fat Dragon, I am well aware of the story holes. I said it many times, I just don't find them game breaking since I tend to look at the game from a childish perspective. It's a freaking interactive anime cartoon. It tries to be childish. But what you described I wouldn't call holes since you are clueless like Xor. There are other holes in the story, some intentional, but these you mentioned, are not it. Allow me to elaborate your cluelessness.
Disagree with that. The story wasn't treated like it was a cartoon. The characters take everything very seriously in the story, don't constantly crack jokes, no abundance of cartoon violence. Yep, the story is serious business, it's just not very good. That whole dumb Avalanche plan wasn't dumb because it was childish or anime; it was just shit writing.
Now from what I have read of your complaints, you obviously don't understand the story. You mentioned that Sephiroth could have killed Rufus Shinra when he was hiding on that ship, but you forget to mention one crucial thing, but I am not surprised since a lot of people have trouble understanding the story because it gives you so many explanations and lets you figure it out yourself. On that ship, it was not Sephiroth. That is explained later in the story. Remember, that it was said Jenova can take any shape she wants? On that ship it was Jenova. Sephiroth was in that huge block of ice all that time and the parts of Jenova were starting to gather where Sephiroth was trapped -> that was the reunion. Jenova was manipulating bitch and manipulation is her greatest power. She needed Rufus and that is why she didn't kill him. She needed him because it was Shinra company who was producing clones of Sephiroth. And Rufus was a threat to her, just like Cloud was -> in case you are not getting it, they were no threat. They were used.
First, you're mixed up. Cloud threw Seph (who was carrying Jenova's head) into the Mako reactor and through force of will, Seph merges and controls Jenova for the rest of the game. So he's the manipulator, Jenova is just his pawn and is just something he controls with his own will. So, on the boat what looked like Seph was actually Jenova being controlled by the real Seph at the crater. And he's not trapped in the crater, he went there himself. If you don't believe me then look it up in the FF7 Ultimania Omega Guide, published by Square, where this fact was established as official canon. Of course, how he managed to take control of Jenova by merging with her decapitated head is never eplained. Shit writing.

Anyway Seph didn't need Rufus or Shinra. Seph needed the black materia so he could make the meteor. The clones' purpose was to get bring it to him. Only a finite number were ever made, and by the time the story of the game starts all of them had already been made. Shinra had already outlved their usefulness before the boat trip, so there really was no reason to keep them alive. All they do throughout the game is slow down the main party and try to stop the big bad themselves. At one point they even try to shoot Seph's crater with a BFG so they can enter and pwn him. Had he just killed the bosses on the boat that would have been avoided because Shinra would have been without a capable leader. I highly doubt Sarlet or Hedeger would have been qualified...Oh wait, Hedeger was with Rufus on the boat.

Hell, the only thing useful Shinra did for the Big Bad was do some experiments with Cloud which apparently let Seph mind control him, which is how Seph ended up finally getting the black orb. But again, all that experimentation with Cloud happened before the boat slaughter and by that time Shinra had become useless.

Also, why kill the fatass but not his son Rufus? If they're so useful to Seph, why kill off the dumb and easily manipulated one that happens to be in charge just so his smart son can take over?
I also already explained that Avalanche were trying to blow up the reactors. Since reactors drain all the spiritual energy of the planet, if you destroy them, the draining of energy would stop. I don't see anything retarded here, and characters on more than one occasion mention how they have done terrible things for the survival of the planet and how awful they feel about it.
That still doesn't make their plan any less retarded. Why must they blow up the whole damned city just to stop them? What's the point in saving the planet if you end up killing off most of its population? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

It apparently doesn't take any more than 5 or 6 people to take over a reactor, same goes for storming the Shinra HQ. Why the fuck didn't big dumb Barret just secretly amass his forces until they're larger than 7 people? Instead of blowing the shit out of everything, just send forces to occupy the reactors and shut them down (not blow them up) all at the same time while another force goes to the HQ and takes out the Shinra leaders. Shinra falls apart without any competent leaders, the reactors are shut down instead of blown up so the planet is saved, etc etc.
Then you mention Sephiroth and again you show your lack of knowledge of facts. Sephiroth did not try to destroy the planet with the meteor. He wanted to make a huge wound on the planet, since it is explained more than once that the planet heals itself when wounded by amassing huge quantities of lifestream on the wound. Lifestream was spiritual energy of all living beings and he wanted to merge itself with the lifestream and in doing so become a God. Furthermore there is a lot of evidence that points to Jenova being behind everything, controling him like a puppet. Again, if you actually followed the story you would see it is not so simple as everyone here for some reason claims.
The planet would be destroyed because Seph wants to chug down all of its magic water. According to the old man at Cosmic Canyon, if the magic water dries up, planet goes BOOM.
Planet = Doomed.

And I explained above that Jenova isn't controlling Seph, it's the other way around and provided you the source where that is proven. So tell me, who is the clueless one?
And it was obvious something was wrong with Cloud from beginning, but I doubt anyone here could actually figure it out until the end of the game when everything becomes much clearer
Are you referring to Cloud's identity crisis with that black haired guy? That was unexpected, however anybody could easily realize that Cloud would eventually have a big mental breakdown at some point in the story. So it wasn't surprising at all when he did.
But I agree with you on one point. Advent Children was shit.
Agreed. The whole part with Sephiroth wanting to go surfin in the sea of stars using the planet was just lulzy.
Edit:
Sorry, forgot about the Aerie mating with Red XIII. Let me just put it this, way... I have seen weirder stuff in fantasy settings, especially anime. They were in some weird chamber, so maybe it had something to do with it. I have no clue how Hojo wanted to make it work and frankly I don't want to know. LOL.
In other words: it was shit story design.
Edit2:
Oh yeah, and again you demonstrate your cluelessness by mentioning Aerie going all alone after Sephiroth. LOL! You really didn't get the story. If it is so simple like you claim it is, how come you didn't get it? LOL.
Keep fooling yourself, oh smugness. LOL!!!11
1. I already said Aerie didn't go after Sephiroth. She went to that place to activate the holy materia since her dead mother told her it is the only thing it can save the planet. She new, it was not up to Cloud or the Shinra to save the planet, it was up to her.
So fucking what if she knew it was up to her? If she knew that, then she should have realized that Sephiroth knew that and would attempt to stop her. She should have lead Wanker and Co. there so she would have somebody to watch her back, not go off alone and leave herself open to attack.
She knew how powerful Sephiroth is and she didn't want to endanger the rest if it was all up to her. Again, this is something you discover later in the game. And she knew she would have to die in order to activate the white materia which makes it all the more tragic.
If she knew how powerful Sephiroth is, then she would have realized that he would rape her up the ass with no difficulty if she went there by herself. Common sense says if you're going into dangerous territory, don't fucking go alone. Even if she figured Seph would raise hell with the rest of the guys, she'd still stand a better chance of success than going it alone. Aeris was just a fucking dumbass that deserved to die for her stupdity, plain and simple.

You put the number 1 down, but I'm guessing you don't actually have a second point to list? So are we done here? I do enjoy a good argument from time to time, but quite frankly this one is just boring me.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mareus said:
marvel comic books suck because they are about self righteous faggots who like to dress in colorful tight costumes.
I'll just butt in quickly and note that recent Marvel comics do suck (excluding Ennis' run on Punisher). A lot. Ultimates #3 and Ultimate X-Men are among the worst comic books in history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom