Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 25 second Dragon Age: Origins trailer is up

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Castanova said:
As far as I know, first screenshot of actual gameplay/GUI:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/682217/dr ... 26759.html

It's definitely a slight relief, for me. Pulled back, semi-isometric perspective. No over-the-shoulder bullshit. The only thing left to worry about from a graphical perspective is whether the levels are hand-designed like BG/BG2 or are they made of "tiles" like NWN. Also, I wish there were at least 5 or 6 party members. 4 seems a bit sparse.

Based on that ugly screenshot, I'm guessing tiles.

aboyd

Liturgist
doctor_kaz said:
It may be ugly, but this is going to make the game a modder's paradise. The tiling system is one of the reasons why NWN 1 was easy to make modules for, and had so many modules.

If they don't do tiles, I hope their system is something equally easy for others to implement.

Castanova

Prophet
I don't mind tiles, per se, for the reasons aboyd describe. But the NWN OC really was a bit repetitive after a while. There need to be more "set-piece" tiles that are only used once the whole campaign.

fastpunk

Arbiter
aboyd said:
doctor_kaz said:
It may be ugly, but this is going to make the game a modder's paradise. The tiling system is one of the reasons why NWN 1 was easy to make modules for, and had so many modules.

If they don't do tiles, I hope their system is something equally easy for others to implement.

Yes, tiles. Well, they were easy to use but the results were... not too interesting.

When it comes to creating environments I'd prefer something similar to the Unreal Editor. The brush-based system used there is quite practical, though not as user-friendly as tiles. And then there are static meshes for decorating levels and you can also create custom static meshes in 3ds Max or Maya. I'd love to see this level of control in an editor that also allows complex scripting geared towards role-playing.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
aboyd said:
doctor_kaz said:

I could give a shit less whether a game is mod-friendly since a quality developer-made campaign is worth more than a thousand user-made mods. Only the top 1% of NWN mods were even remotely competitive with an average commercial product.

Mareus

Magister
Well that screenshot looks rather aurorish to me. Infact if I didn't know better I would say it is using the same engine as NWN2. I am certainly still hoping Bioware will return to it's roots and finally make a game which will have hand drawn backgrounds instead of this tile crap, but judging by these screenshots it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Good thing to know it will at least be similar to NWN2.

Deleted member 7219

Arem said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4fOybHb5bc

Shocking

I remember the 'Unfastened Coins' vid that was a parody of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' propaganda film 'Loose Change'. Said the sinking of the Titanic was a conspiracy because metal is stronger than ice :D

The Feral Kid

Prophet
The isometric combat screenshot looks way better than anything NWN related. It may be tiles but it has that hand-design/art feel to it which is the best possible option. If they can overcome their lazyness and make levels/areas look different from each other instead of almost all looking the same it would be great too. Still, too bad - combat aside - the game forces you to play it in from non-isometric Oblivionish perspective, which is a major turn off. I guess the isometric combat is all the non next-gen Bio could handle right now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Actually, I don't mind. Call me weird but if something is -really- pretty I can appreciate it better in first-person - an awful perspective for fights though, unless you handle it like Wizardry 8, but that wouldn't be next-gen.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
the game forces you to play it in from non-isometric Oblivionish perspective, which is a major turn off. I guess the isometric combat is all the non next-gen Bio could handle right now.

If this is true then I'll bet that one of the first mods that comes out is an isometric exploring mod.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
I just think it would be better to give you the option to play it whatever perspective you like. I don't like their "We want you to play it 1st person to appreciate the next-gen immerse epicness" shit.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Castanova said:
The only thing left to worry about from a graphical perspective is whether the levels are hand-designed like BG/BG2 or are they made of "tiles" like NWN.
It's not tiles.
The Feral Kid said:
Still, too bad - combat aside - the game forces you to play it in from non-isometric Oblivionish perspective, which is a major turn off.
That's quite an assumption. Any reason for it?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Dgaider said:
The Feral Kid said:
Still, too bad - combat aside - the game forces you to play it in from non-isometric Oblivionish perspective, which is a major turn off.
That's quite an assumption. Any reason for it?

You bet.

According to project leader Scott Greig:

"At first, the camera is behind the player's shoulder--"Explore Mode," Greig calls it--but as the enemies take notice and move in to attack, the camera swings up to a nearly top-down, parkade-inspired perspective."

And here's the link

www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3155733

Now I don't know but "Explore Mode" sounds rather limiting about the perspective, as if the camera is locked. Also the camera switch from exploration to combat is forced upon (again according to Greig's words) instead of the player having control over it, which if true I see it as another shortcoming. Now tell me which one of you two is lying and who should we believe, since you see there isn't much info around.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
The Feral Kid said:
Now I don't know but "Explore Mode" sounds rather limiting about the perspective, as if the camera is locked. Also the camera switch from exploration to combat is forced upon (again according to Greig's words) instead of the player having control over it, which if true I see it as another shortcoming. Now tell me which one of you two is lying and who should we believe, since you see there isn't much info around.
The camera has gone through some changes since that particular interview (and even then I don't think it was "forced" on you so much as the default setting), and to be frank it could still change significantly in the days to come. It's one of the things that is most likely to be tweaked right up until ship.

But at the moment? You can zoom in or out as you desire, during exploration or combat. Me, I tend to play mostly zoomed out (though sometimes I like to zoom in to take a look at the horizon).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"druid: GUYS DUN FITE
cleric: OH GOD YYYY AM I STUCK WITH THESE PPL"

No druids, and clerics in the game.

Texas Red

Whiner
DGaider, how on earth could Bioware miss the Christmas sales? Everyone knows that 90% of sales come from holidays.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
When did ME come out? IIRC, it was after early this year after the holidays... Didn't hurt that games' sales...

The Feral Kid

Prophet
When did ME come out?

Nov 20. Just in time for Christmas, dumbass.

Didn't hurt that games' sales...

It's a console game. Its primary target was the console market so it came out before holidays for a reason. The PC release is of secondary importance, just the extra buck. Coming out on holidays or not isn't affecting such side-releases at all. Moron.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Nov 20. Just in time for Christmas, dumbass."

K.

"It's a console game. Its primary target was the console market so it came out before holidays for a reason. The PC release is of secondary importance, just the extra buck. Coming out on holidays or not isn't affecting such side-releases at all. Moron."

Plenty of games come out after Christmas and still sell well. Get over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom