Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 feels exactlly like Oblivion - a hands-on preview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The first hands-on preview:

http://forums.n4g.com/m_178578/mpage_1/ ... htm#178578

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43207

"Bethesda have stated Fallout 3 has no vehicles. But evidence leads us to think there'll be a robot horse. Madness? Well, when the game loads, retro '50s-style adverts cycle past for things in the game. 'Giddyup buttercup', a robot pony for little girls. "He neighs, he trots, he loves you a lot!" says the ad. Such a huge game without any transport? Really?"

"If you cause a ruckus near an Enclave-controlled area, these Vertibirds in and drop off reinforcements"

Say you have five Action Points, you could fire at their head five times...

In fact, at times it feels exactly like Oblivion in terms of mission structure and the way you navigate the world. We loved Oblivion so we aren't complaining...

[Todd Howard loads up a game 70 hours in] "He was in the heart of DC and fought a group of Enclave troopers with a portable nuclear missile launcher called the Fat Man - the game's most powerful weapon."

MetalCraze

Arcane
a robot horse? well Fallout's setting certainly needed that! like what else can be so logical as to fit the post-apoc setting? cars with which FO3 will be filled up to its roof? don't make me laugh

Albert had 83 AP at level 5...

[Todd Howard loads up a game 70 hours in] "He was in the heart of DC and fought a group of Enclave troopers with a portable nuclear missile launcher called the Fat Man - the game's most powerful weapon."

the stupidity of this situation made me lol to tears

Vault Dweller

Developer
skyway said:

Albert had 83 AP at level 5...
Don't fuck with Albert then.

the stupidity of this situation made me lol to tears
Get off your high horse! Your high robot horse. I mean, you have to dismount to fight your enemies.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I thought this quote would be a Codex-favourite

In fact, at times it feels exactly like Oblivion in terms of mission structure and the way you navigate the world. We loved Oblivion so we aren't complaining, but if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting or the RPG mechanics too complicated, Fallout 3 might not be the game for you. Especially since the game is ten times as customisable.

It's pretty much the first time I've ever heard of anyone thinking of Oblivion's RPG mechanics as "too complicated".

PSM3's readership must be quite something.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Why are they even writing? The way they describe the game, they take their readership for morons (Oblivion's mechanics too complicated?). They might as well be honest with it and use only pictures to be certain everyone can understand the article more or less easy.

Vault Dweller

Developer
mahdi said:
Vince, will you do a review? It is our only hope of any redeamable entertainment from this franchise.
Yes. Brother None asked me to write a review for NMA. Expect it 3-4 weeks after the game is released.

Also:

http://blogs.theage.com.au/screenplay/a ... 09858.html

As an example of the many optional tasks, Bethesda showed us how you can respond to radio calls from desperate survivors. We were too late to save the hapless victims, but their cave had a treasure trove of items and loot.
Cave with treasure? So yesterday. Collectible artifacts are the latest trend in role-playing.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archi ... eddon.html

In what ways do you feel you've captured the minutiae of survival in a post-apocalyptic landscape - will the player have to search for food/shelter in the game?
I think it's the minutiae of the Fallout world. Say you are hurt in the game, and you come across a destroyed grocery store, and inside you find an old vending machine with some Nuka-Cola, you can drink the cola to heal yourself, but then the bottle cap also acts as the game's money. So you heal a bit and get a "cap" that you can use to trade. Just that tiny event is grounded in the reality of the world you're in.
:facepalm:

Q: Do you have an underlying message in Fallout 3 - apocalyptic movies and books usually do...

A: Different people sacrifice different things to survive, and blowing them into bloody-chunks is often hilarious.
I'm not sure what's more shocking: stupid shit that Bethesda's talking heads openly say or the eagerness of the gaming media to nod in agreement.

Q: Do you have an underlying message in Fallout 3 - apocalyptic movies and books usually do...

A: Different people sacrifice different things to survive, and blowing them into bloody-chunks is often hilarious.
That's good, I was hoping that video games would never become art and bethesda is there to make sure that never happens. I just love when things are mindless and without themes. I'd hate for any media to have an impact on society's thinking.

Saxon1974

Prophet
So if the quest system feels just like it did in Oblivion....I guess this means there is a quest arrow that leads you around and tells you exactly where to go? Man I hated that so much...

ixg

Erudite
"We have, yes, but you do run into the Mad Max types, the Raiders. They are one of our key enemy types."

Enemy types?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
posterffly1.jpg

spacemoose

Erudite
the codex should do a 'hall of shame' feature where shit rpgs are dissected for the world audience

feature it prominently on the front page

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spacemoose said:
the codex should do a 'hall of shame' feature where shit rpgs are dissected for the world audience

feature it prominently on the front page

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Uh, was the 'nuka-cola bottle caps as money' announced before? I must have missed it somewhere, but somehow I don't believe I could actually miss something that is so high on the retardometer.

Also, robotic horses... :facepalm:

'Oh yeah, there are like, thousands of cars out here lad, but truly they are only car shells with the gas tanks installed so they can go BOOM'.

The more news are introduced, the more I believe they will somehow implement dragons into the wasteland.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't worry, they'll include them in the expansion ("Toecutter").

gc051360

Scholar
I'd love to say "Told you so" to anyone who disagreed with me about Fallout 3....

but even I didn't think it'd reach this level of retardation.

At this point, I won't even be surprised if they announce that the "A" button, causes your character to pick his ass and then smell his finger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom