Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT DA FUCK? - a Gothic 4 thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for the info. I'll try setting swap to 3 GBs, then, at least.

A user named cat

Another "rule of thumb" you might want to consider is putting the swap file on another harddrive, away from your OS. I guess it frees up resources and helps your drive in reading/writing during gaming when it needs to access the page file. That is, if you do have another harddrive. Don't bother just sticking it on a seperate partition.

A user named cat

There's been a followup posted by a Spellbound member, regarding all the info that's come out so far and saying a bit of it is false. Note however he doesn't really defend against the Oblivion-esque things mentioned.

Hi guys,

of course am I back and there's always hope.

I was away on personal and business matters and could not answer earlier. Sorry about that. When I came back this morning I was more than stunned to read the information that made its way across the great ocean. Interesting.

There are lots of rumors out there right now and I will try to clarify a few things.

Combat System
What the guys in the US saw has nothing to do with the final system. They were running the test level and there you can hit one human without any AI with your sword. That's about it. That has nothing to do with the stuff we are working on right now. So, just forget about it.

The "witches"
Well, we will not use old ladies, put them on broomsticks and send them through the air to save the world. The traditional term "witches" has nothing to do with the ladies you might encounter during the game. They run a different show and have other goals ... forget about the "witches".

The interface
You can customize your interface to your liking and leave out all the windows and bars that you don't like to see. You could even use the old Gothic Interface and don't use any of the new stuff we'll offer. Purists can use the life bar from Gothic 1 only if they are happy with it. Other players might want to use the mini map for example. It is up to you.

Two versions
There will not be two versions of the game. Period. The only choice you can make is about a different set of colors. That is a decision you can make once in the game and then forget about it. It is just a feature. It will in no way influence the story or anything else.

The nameless hero
Well, when the US-Publisher gives away the news as they did, who am I to say "veto".
Let's clarify what was written there:
10 years have passed since the Nameless Hero (NH) declared himself king and now he wages war throughout the country. He even wants to conquer the Southern Isles. His friends and close advisors are wondering about his strange behaviour and get the feeling that the king might not act by his free will. Strange things are going on.
During these dark and doomed days a new hero emerges in the south. A guy who will not take it anymore and he will do ... well whatever you want him to do. During his travels he might find new allies, even the old buddies of the king, who do not understand the rulings of their former friend. And he will meet new NPC and enemies, each with his/her own agenda. Whom can you trust now? The adventure goes on ...

That is all speculation, OK? That's a summary of the information that was out there.

The Gothic feeling is not gone. Right now you know about 5 % of the whole story and we will stick to the world, language, monsters, gods and so on. We will not turn the world upside down, but some new stuff has to happen, don't you think so? The story needs to go on and people might change over the course of 10 years.

I hope I could help a little bit.

WalterKinde

Scholar
So its star wars, in terms of the hero becoming darth vader like, meets dune/wheel of time, in terms of the witches part, this just screames bene gesserit/aes sedai to me and i bet they will want to control the new hero too.
And like a japanese rpg we will learn that darth er excuse me the new king is not really the true final boss , that he is working for someone or something else and there'll be a C&C where you can bring him back to the light but he then sacrifices himself for the new nameless hero.
Do you think thats too cynical on my part?
Edit
Oh and i forgot, the first nameless hero is really your father and you have a twin sister or older/younger sister who was seperated at birth who is now a witch of fate.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
@Elwro: No problem.

Phantasmal said:
Another "rule of thumb" you might want to consider is putting the swap file on another harddrive, away from your OS. I guess it frees up resources and helps your drive in reading/writing during gaming when it needs to access the page file. That is, if you do have another harddrive. Don't bother just sticking it on a seperate partition.
It's true that the best option is to put in on a separate drive, but there is a point even in putting it on a separate, standalone partition (or at the very worst, on a partition that isn't the OS one). This way you obtain a dedicated part of disk that will never fragment up, and you'll never have to mind about the swap again.
Also, it's always a good idea to have at least two partitions on your primary disk (one for the OS, of around 10 GB and one for the rest), and preferably 3-4 (OS, installed stuff, non-installed stuff (downloads, music, videos etc. - the stuff that tends to pick up most fragmentation due to constant changes to the file structure), and eventually swap).
Oh and there is also a very common notion to leave a small piecelet of pagefile on your OS partition, too (nothing big, around 20-30 MB should do the trick).

As for the news update, I guess "Don't judge the day before the night" is still a valid proverb. We shall see...

Kraszu

Prophet
Hi guys,

of course am I back and there's always hope.

I was away on personal and business matters and could not answer earlier. Sorry about that. When I came back this morning I was more than stunned to read the information that made its way across the great ocean. Interesting.

There are lots of rumors out there right now and I will try to clarify a few things.

Combat System
What the guys in the US saw has nothing to do with the final system. They were running the test level and there you can hit one human without any AI with your sword. That's about it. That has nothing to do with the stuff we are working on right now. So, just forget about it.

The "witches"
Well, we will not use old ladies, put them on broomsticks and send them through the air to save the world. The traditional term "witches" has nothing to do with the ladies you might encounter during the game. They run a different show and have other goals ... forget about the "witches".

The interface
You can customize your interface to your liking and leave out all the windows and bars that you don't like to see. You could even use the old Gothic Interface and don't use any of the new stuff we'll offer. Purists can use the life bar from Gothic 1 only if they are happy with it. Other players might want to use the mini map for example. It is up to you.

Two versions
There will not be two versions of the game. Period. The only choice you can make is about a different set of colors. That is a decision you can make once in the game and then forget about it. It is just a feature. It will in no way influence the story or anything else.

The nameless hero
Well, when the US-Publisher gives away the news as they did, who am I to say "veto".
10 years have passed since the Nameless Hero (NH) declared himself king and now he wages war throughout the country. He even wants to conquer the Southern Isles. His friends and close advisors are wondering about his strange behaviour and get the feeling that the king might not act by his free will. Strange things are going on.
During these dark and doomed days a new hero emerges in the south. A guy who will not take it anymore and he will do ... well whatever you want him to do. During his travels he might find new allies, even the old buddies of the king, who do not understand the rulings of their former friend. And he will meet new NPC and enemies, each with his/her own agenda. Whom can you trust now? The adventure goes on ...

That is all speculation, OK? That's a summary of the information that was out there.

The Gothic feeling is not gone. Right now you know about 5 % of the whole story and we will stick to the world, language, monsters, gods and so on. We will not turn the world upside down, but some new stuff has to happen, don't you think so? The story needs to go on and people might change over the course of 10 years.

I hope I could help a little bit.

(jedi trick) That is not the informations that you are interested in (jedi trick)

The nameless hero

DEEP PELITIKEL ALLEGORIES

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Phantasmal said:
There's been a followup posted by a Spellbound member

Community manager.

Also, is it just me, or did this entire clarification consist of "yeah, all that stuff you didn't like? Just pretend it didn't happen"? Good advise an sich, but still, a mite disingenuous.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
It gets better and better:
EDL said:
Raconz said:
Great answers.. but what about the name ?? Will it be Arcania : A Gothic Tale for both ( US & EU versions ) or the EU version will remain Gothic 4 : Arcania ?
Good question. As far as I understood the articles there will be two names. I will ask the boss round here (but he's out until monday) and come back to you with an answer.

-EDL
I'm going to tie the rope to the tree now...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Brother None said:
Also, is it just me, or did this entire clarification consist of "yeah, all that stuff you didn't like? Just pretend it didn't happen"? Good advise an sich, but still, a mite disingenuous.
Is that actually used in english nowadays? Or is this the subversive work of non-native-english-speaking-codexers?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Brother None said:
Phantasmal said:

Community manager.

Where is Vault Dweller when there is actually information about Gothic 4 that is not part of lobotimized previews of American magazines?

Nothing of his WTF elements is real.

As I stated before: The game is in the best hands imaginable.

Kraszu

Prophet
Sir_Brennus said:
Where is Vault Dweller when there is actually information about Gothic 4 that is not part of lobotimized previews of American magazines?

Why don't you give link to that info?

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Lol Brennus, I'll laugh at you when they'll finally release the game and it will actually resemble an Oblivion clone. I hope that doesn't happen, of course, but just check the bloody forums, the JoWood one, the Spellbound one and WorldOfGothic as well. There's unrest everywhere, and surely not because everyone's making a party in honor of the wonderful news.
"Best hands imaginable" (bah). Why is that so again?

Arcks

Educated
Sir_Brennus said:

I can agree with that. After all, only good games spellbound has made are clones of other games. So this is going to be awesome!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the Commandos-clones by Spellbound, actually. They were awesome.

But this is an RPG. They've never made an RPG before. Also, JoWood will probably tell them "Hay guyze, you haev to maek diz gaem liek Oblivion because that sold well. Kthxbye."
So, JoWood tells them what they have to do with the game, and JoWood will also be the one responsible for a buggy product being released [seriously, JoWood is one of the worst publishers ever, almost all of their games are fucking buggy and don't even recieve patches that fix all of the issues]. JoWood is a shit publisher, and they are the ones who own the franchise. I doubt they give Spellbound enough freedom to decide what they think is good for the game or not.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Well the only answer is to treat this game like mass effect, nwn 2 , oblivion: Knights Of The Nine, wait and buy the hyper mega bargin bin version if you are still interested in it after the release and reviews.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sir_Brennus said:
Brother None said:
Phantasmal said:

Community manager.

Where is Vault Dweller ...
You rang?

...when there is actually information about Gothic 4 that is not part of lobotimized previews of American magazines?
Actual information? Where?

Nothing of his WTF elements is real.
Really? Let's see...

the witches of fate - check
two color palates - check
the former hero is a king on a power trip - check

He didn't deny the focus on fantasy and magic, the retard-friendly features, the "flexible attributes" feature. So, uh, what exactly are you celebrating?

If you say so.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There is absolutely no logic involved in any argument from S_B regarding PB or Gothic. He just hates PB and all his posts about the subject revolve around that simple fact. No idea why, it just is.

Lingwe

Liturgist
The "witches"

So the 'witches' are all going to be beautiful young scantily clad women?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget the see-through veils.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom