Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new wave of Fallout 3 previews

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=828

It goes without saying that Bethesda's record for quality is proven.
Indeed.

Now Bethesda's unenviable task is twofold: First, bring the traditionally PC-oriented Fallout series to modern consoles and make it appeal to a broader audience who may have never touched a Fallout game before. Second, and far more difficult, build a game that honors Fallout's decade-long legacy and at least try to appease its existing hardcore audience, whose love for the franchise runs a narrow spectrum from adoration to outright fanaticism.
Right. Let's dumb Fallout for consoles and people who never cared about the original gameplay, and make a hardcore PC RPG that the diehard fans will approve of. Reality check?

Abandoned vaults and bombed-out buildings are to Fallout 3 what the generic caves and decrepit Elven ruins were to Oblivion....
No kidding.

Functionally, the ghouls seem to act merely like quick radioactive zombies, though an interesting touch to each glowing one you encounter is a very brief (think blink-and-you'll-miss-it) flashback scene showing what that ghoul's life was like before it mutated into a hellish husk.
The fuck?

...at which point I realized the gear lust that drove character development in Oblivion...
Character development in Oblivion?

Since the demo I saw focused almost entirely on generic combat...
Welcome to Fallout 3.

http://kotaku.com/378147/growing-up-with-fallout-3

Now we get to the really fun part, the combat and enemies. As any of you who are familiar with Fallout will know, your enemies are mostly radiated mutants or "ghouls" as they are called in the game.

. But ghouls aren't your only worry, the Brotherhood of Steel is roaming around causing trouble as well and you will often come upon two factions locked in battles of their own.

It's nostalgic yet at the same time seems so fresh and new because we rarely see that style of design in modern games, especially FPSs.
Yes. Especially FPSs.

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1 ... lout-3/p1/

It would seem that this should broaden the range of players who’ll want to play Fallout 3—it isn’t strictly a shooter and it isn’t strictly a roll-the-dice type of RPG, but rather enables you to tailor the action more toward the genre you prefer.
It's a shooter with stats, we get it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Combat, combat, combat... When are we going to see dialogs, C&C(other than Megaton), quests, TOWNS and other such? They're trying to impress the Xbox kiddies, I get it, but with those "crappy" graphics and weird combat they won't succeed.

Black

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
Combat, combat, combat... When are we going to see dialogs, C&C(other than Megaton), quests, TOWNS and other such? They're trying to impress the Xbox kiddies, I get it, but with those "crappy" graphics and weird combat they won't succeed.
Dialogue isn't what bethesda does well. Erm, combat neither. Or choices and consequences. Or AI.
Shit!

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I made the mistake of posting an honest comment on Gamespot's preview and it's getting voted down/buried by mountains of stupidity. Most gamers are pretty stupid people. This game should sell really well.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Looks like we have another smashing hit on our hands, that will sell in milions of copies. It makes me very sad.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, you know, if you just stuck the OP on the front news page, it would be like the good ole days when VD ran things around here with an iron fist. :nostalgia:

Keep it coming!

denizsi

Arcane
the Brotherhood of Steel is roaming around causing trouble

They should repeat this quote all the time.

This reminded me that flooding the game with pseudo-cool quotes as per "dark <s>hemorrhage</s> humour" would fit their design philosophy of F3 perfectly, what with "bubble-heads".

Most <s>gamers</s> people are pretty stupid <s>people</s>.

Fixed for rude awakening.

I lost my faith in humanity.

To have faith in humanity in the first place?

Nameless0ne

Novice
Ion Flux said:
I made the mistake of posting an honest comment on Gamespot's preview and it's getting voted down/buried by mountains of stupidity. Most gamers are pretty stupid people. This game should sell really well.

Sure thing! This game is definitely going down as Top Best Seller for 2008! :x

Mareus

Magister
After Oblivion, i lost completly my faith that Bethseda can make another great classic. I made a post on their forums about what was badly done in Oblivion and what should be avoided in their new games. Their reaction made me believe they have no intention of making a great game. They just want to make a game that will sell good.

The worst thing was their replies that varied from make your own game, make the mods to it's not feasable. Fallout 3 is followed by the same hype Oblivion had, and everything they showed so far was combat, combat, some perks, combat, graphics. I guess they are going with the same recepie as Oblivion.

Oh and about dialogs.. i think this is how it will look like:

fallout_3_by_bethesda_admiral_jimbob_rpgcodex.gif

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Mareus said:
After Oblivion, i lost completly my faith that Bethseda can make another great classic. I made a post on their forums about what was badly done in Oblivion and what should be avoided in their new games. Their reaction made me believe they have no intention of making a great game. They just want to make a game that will sell good.

ORLY? :picard:

Welocme to the beautiful world of reality.

DoppelG

Scholar

I wish, have you played Oblivion? Have you barfed out your insides because of how annoying and physically sickmaking the "lock on when wanting to know a piece of garbage information from an NPC" is? Have you seen how much ANYONE lacks ANY kind of character WHATSOEVER? Have you bashed your head against a wall from sheer headhurting bloomlit faces burning into your brain via the nerves of your eyes? Seriously, if it would "look" like that then apart from having no dialogue, whatsoever, it wouldn't be half as bad.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Bethesda Softworks has a lot to prove with Fallout 3. Not to regular hardcore gamers like you and me, of course, nor the millions of fans who have enjoyed the company's previous work with the Elder Scrolls series.
So if they aren't trying to please the original Fallout fans, or heven forbid the elder scroll fans, then who are they trying to impress? It seems pointless to try and find a new audience with a game that already has one doesn't it? Atlus at least tried to gain a new audience with Digital devil saga, but bethesda is trying to impress nobody.

But the Maryland-based developer took on a whole new challenge when it wrested the hallowed Fallout license from Interplay's cold, deathly grip a few years ago.
Hey, that "deathly" company brought us Earthworm Jim and MDK, so show a lil respect fuckwod.

Fallout 3 sticks close to the franchise's basic mythos: a nuclear holocaust sent survivors underground, froze the era's 1950s-style pop culture right in the middle of its wide-eyed optimism, and populated the landscape with bloodthirsty mutants. Generations later, you're one of the lucky few born among all the rubble and ash.
That's half of the presentation dillweed. Fallout's main goal was to provide RPG fans a little something new from the dungeon crawlers...heck, even dungeon crawlers are practicaly dead. I hope Etrian Odyssey brings it back.

Early in the game, you'll find a courageous dog named Dogmeat and his master under attack, and when the master meets his inevitable end, Dogmeat will quickly become your loyal companion. When and where this happens will be randomized, so it should fit seamlessly into the flow of the game.
You know what? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about this piece of shit dog, and this is coming from somebody who adores animals. Reason being is because they keep talking about him, and making him the spotlight on allies. When I play RPGs, I sometimes like a little company, so try and mix it up a little Bethesda...why bother even posting, I know they'll just ignore me.

Abandoned vaults and bombed-out buildings are to Fallout 3 what the generic caves and decrepit Elven ruins were to Oblivion, which is to say you'll want to do a lot of exploring to find some choice gear to equip.
Ohh great, from the sound of it, it'll be all dungeon crawling, and rare trips to towns. What I enjoyed about mostly in Fallout, was that the towns were a huge focus in the game, and there were only a few times you raided caves, labs, and vaults. But from what I've heard from douchy MC doucherson, it'll be the other way around.

Hines cites the rocky nature of making games early on the 360 and PS3--consoles which at the time were themselves still in development--as the primary culprit for Oblivion's lengthy production cycle. Now the team at Bethesda has plenty of experience on all the available hardware,
It's nice to hear that console kiddies are getting a say so before the almighty PC gaming race. Goes to show where there hearts truly lie.

Mareus

Magister
DoppelG said:

I wish, have you played Oblivion? Have you barfed out your insides because of how annoying and physically sickmaking the "lock on when wanting to know a piece of garbage information from an NPC" is? Have you seen how much ANYONE lacks ANY kind of character WHATSOEVER? Have you bashed your head against a wall from sheer headhurting bloomlit faces burning into your brain via the nerves of your eyes? Seriously, if it would "look" like that then apart from having no dialogue, whatsoever, it wouldn't be half as bad.

That pretty much covered all.

2.gif

Dire Roach

Prophet
Have they talked about possible multiplayer modes or Xbox Live achievements yet? If not, I predict seeing many pre-owned copies of FO3 at the bargain bins within the first month or two after release.

Amon Gesoto

Educated
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'll give you a preview of the main quest.

I'm willing to bet money that Pops (AKA Liam Neeson) will reappear in less than five quest stages of the main quest, dying, and give you some all-important item or tell you you need to stop/get something from the Pentagon's closet, adding that it's up to you to save butt-fucked DC, then he'll die. Because Bethesda thinks that killing characters without characterizing them is dramatic and stuff. Chances are also good he'll be the first and last interesting character you'll meet, and that's probably only because his voice won't be whored out to a hundred other woodposts-- I mean characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom