Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Warhammer 40k rpg?

psycojester

Arbiter
Every race in warhammer 40K is its own unique shade of shit, and now that GW are off on another exciting purge of the canon the Necron ARE THE DARKEST MOST ORIGINAL SHIT OF THEM ALL!

Ausir

Arcane
Quigs said:
Wait, I thought it was all shades of gray?

Yes, it is shades of grey, with the Empire, while it's racist and totalitarian, still being the best defense from Chaos there is. And one of the main RPG books (that was now cancelled) was to focus mostly on rogue traders, somewhat akin to Firefly/Serenity.

Otingocni

Novice
Aren\'t the Tau basically plucky good-guy underdogs?

Disclaimer: I know shit-all about WH40K lore.

psycojester

Arbiter
Not really, they project that image but theres a lot of shady stuff in their background concerning how the Etheraels control the rest of the Tau, the sterilization of humans who join their empire and what happens to peaceful races they encounter that won't join the 'greater good'

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They also have a habit of not over-printing. So tracking down that golden fluff from decades past (or yesterday) costs a fortune.
With the advent of the Internet, half of the stuff you might want to find is on Rapidshare. Someone on /tg/ on 4chan finally scanned Xenology a while ago, and right now it is constant demands for Dark Heresy. Several people have promised to get it up, so we'll see. What's on rapidsearch right now is not the real thing, it's a Touhou gag.

Speaking of such a thing, someone posed as a D&D 4E beta tester, and it was masterfully done. He built up tons of anticipation and put several files onto rapidshare. They looked authentic enough, until you got to the last one and it segued seamlessly into the Fresh Prince of Bel Air lyrics. I laughed.
it just hasn’t been an affordable hobby since the 80’s/ early 90’s
Back when I actually played tabletop I used coins. Funny how it's cheaper that way, to just use money instead of the actual figures. I live in a little town though so I was just playing with friends, so it hardly mattered.

Aren\'t the Tau basically plucky good-guy underdogs?
Well, sort of. That's how they come off, because GW fails at fluff. They are portrayed, ironically enough, probably more accurately in Dawn of War than they are in their own stupid Codex. In Dawn of War it's hinted that they are very much a 1984 style government and race, they're just as totalitarian and xenophobic as the Imperium, they are just less honest about it.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, sort of. That's how they come off, because GW fails at fluff. They are portrayed, ironically enough, probably more accurately in Dawn of War than they are in their own stupid Codex. In Dawn of War it's hinted that they are very much a 1984 style government and race, they're just as totalitarian and xenophobic as the Imperium, they are just less honest about it.

It's also in some of the 40K novels.

cardtrick

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Speaking of such a thing, someone posed as a D&D 4E beta tester, and it was masterfully done. He built up tons of anticipation and put several files onto rapidshare. They looked authentic enough, until you got to the last one and it segued seamlessly into the Fresh Prince of Bel Air lyrics. I laughed.

Link?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You've read some of the books? Are any any good? I've already heard about CS Goto, but a lot of people say the Ciaphas Cain ones are actually worth reading. True/false?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
cardtrick said:
kingcomrade said:

Link?
http://rapidshare.com/files/86123029/th ... r.doc.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/86130403/fi ... e.doc.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/86131491/ta ... r.doc.html
:P

Ausir

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
You've read some of the books? Are any any good? I've already heard about CS Goto, but a lot of people say the Ciaphas Cain ones are actually worth reading. True/false?

No, I haven't. Most game-based novels are shit. I just checked it in Wikipedia and it mentions that some novels give more details about Tau society.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't like Tau. The only cool thing about them is the gun drones; their entire visual scthick doesn't fit with the 'heavy metal' or whatever you want to call it theme to 40k.

Necrons are another race Dawn of War did better than their own Codex. I always thought they were shit, with a couple good models like Flayed Ones and Wraiths, but otherwise stupid backstory (and I've heard that they are really boring on tabletop, there is only one type of viable army for them, and it is so viable that playing against them is no fun). In Dawn of War they look awesome, the visuals fit them perfectly, the Flayed Ones and Wraiths look even cooler, etc.

The_Pope

Scholar
The necrons were way cooler before they put in the c'tan. Now they're just cheap knock off chaos.

psycojester

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:

Quite a lot of the warhammer novels are shit thats true enough, but the Gaunts Ghosts books and the Eisenhorn trilogy i can definitely recommend. Personally i think the Eisenhorn books should be required reading for anybody planning on running a Dark Heresy campaign, its pretty much the perfect snap-shot of life for an Inquisitor and his retinue.

NiM82

Prophet
Not strictly a novel, but Liber Chaotica is pretty good.
It's from a fantasy perspective, but the subject matter is pretty universal (and it does have sections devoted to 40k Chaos).

obediah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
They also have a habit of not over-printing. So tracking down that golden fluff from decades past (or yesterday) costs a fortune.
With the advent of the Internet, half of the stuff you might want to find is on Rapidshare.

Scrolling through a pdf is a poor substitute for picking the actual book up off a shelf. I don't have the money to grab all the source books I'd like, but filling in the few black library books and the Fading Suns I don't have is towards the top of my list.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
BTW, I overheard a group of nuns on a bus speaking about someone they know who reported that a friend of his caught a glimpse of The Lost and the Damned and Slaves of Darkness on eMule. Yes, the great books which (used) cost about $500 last time I saw them.

I still have both of the original Realms of Chaos sourcebooks.
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_Chaos_(Warhammer)" (bbCode doesn't like the url)
They are still revered as milestones of the British gaming industry and legacy of an era when Games Workshop strived to deliver quality products rich in background and storytelling flavour.
Legacy of an era indeed, one where GW catered for adults rather than exclusively for pre-pubescent munchkins.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
SanctionedPsyker.jpg

lol

psycojester

Arbiter
Well i'm downloading it now, if its not a futa manga anybody else interested in trying a PbP game on the codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom