Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
afewhours said:
No! It means you are a freak of nature with serious psychosexual problems! Don't worry, though, I am an expert at "handling" such cases. All will be cured when you take a butchers at this

My Kaspersky 6.0 is telling me that theres some SHIT under that link - not-a-virus but still. Heads up!

boynextdoor

Educated
Radisshu said:
The whole "We were childhood friends.. then forgot about i!" plot was so bad I quit playing 8 altogether. "So.. you forgot about it huh? Some kind of amnesia thing? Evil magic? Traumatic experience?" "Nope, just forgot." "Oooh-kay."

I mean they lived on a fucking ORPHANAGE together WITH the first villain for THEIR ENTIRE CHILDHOODs and just FORGOT? Damn. It's getting me annoyed even thinking about it.

They did NOT just forgot, it was caused by junctioning. Plus principal became morally questionable after finding that out so it was a logical part of the story line.

boynextdoor

Educated
Lemunde said:
Like most modern jRPGs the combat system isn't very logical or realistic.

I don't know a single RPG which has a very logical or realistic combat system. TB combat cannot be realistic or logical by definition. Imagine two groups firing at each other taking turns. Even JA was not realistic at all. In most jRPGs combat system has something to do with the plot too, like in Suikoden, FF series etc.

Even my favorite RPG, FO does not have a very logical combat system but that system is quite enjoyable. Combat in FO was very exploitable (is that a word?) too, is there any being that can't be easily slaugthered with a shot to the eye? If my memory serves me right you could shoot anything in the eye at any distance after midway through the game.

But you are right about one thing, Squall is too much of an emo.

xantrius

Liturgist
Hmm does the story in FF 7 get better around half through the course of the game? Played around half through it, but then EVIAL bug hinder further progress ;)
(hate bugs, am stuck in The Witcher and Anachronox too due to them blasted things, bugs almost also hindered my playthough of MotB - I'm cursed)
Anyway the raving weird ones that made play it, IIRC, said that it got better during the second half, would you agree?

boynextdoor

Educated
xantrius said:
Hmm does the story in FF 7 get better around half through the course of the game? Played around half through it, but then EVIAL bug hinder further progress ;)
(hate bugs, am stuck in The Witcher and Anachronox too due to them blasted things, bugs almost also hindered my playthough of MotB - I'm cursed)
Anyway the raving weird ones that made play it, IIRC, said that it got better during the second half, would you agree?

They say that it gets better, I couldn't stand FF7 partly due to the graphics and partly because of the combat system being rather dull in comparison to the later FF games. I quitted after the escape from the Shin-ra building. I enjoyed FF8 much more but as most of the jRPG do it lacks replayibility since you can do everything possible in single playthrough.

Lemunde

Scholar
boynextdoor said:
Lemunde said:
Like most modern jRPGs the combat system isn't very logical or realistic.

I don't know a single RPG which has a very logical or realistic combat system. TB combat cannot be realistic or logical by definition. Imagine two groups firing at each other taking turns. Even JA was not realistic at all. In most jRPGs combat system has something to do with the plot too, like in Suikoden, FF series etc.

Even my favorite RPG, FO does not have a very logical combat system but that system is quite enjoyable. Combat in FO was very exploitable (is that a word?) too, is there any being that can't be easily slaugthered with a shot to the eye? If my memory serves me right you could shoot anything in the eye at any distance after midway through the game.

But you are right about one thing, Squall is too much of an emo.

I was more referring to shooting someone in the head with a gun or toasting them with a fireball as opposed to sticking magics in your weapons that turn them into frogs or literally throwing dice at them and magically doing a random amount of damage. I'm not saying jRPGs aren't fun but sometimes they just don't make sense.

xantrius

Liturgist
boynextdoor said:
xantrius said:

They say that it gets better, I couldn't stand FF7 partly due to the graphics and partly because of the combat system being rather dull in comparison to the later FF games. I quitted after the escape from the Shin-ra building. I enjoyed FF8 much more but as most of the jRPG do it lacks replayibility since you can do everything possible in single playthrough.

But yeah they the weird console freaks, bah, it's just hard to trust them with their warped form of taste and all, they're not even real humans are they? ;P

Thanks for the insight.

boynextdoor

Educated
Lemunde said:
I was more referring to shooting someone in the head with a gun or toasting them with a fireball as opposed to sticking magics in your weapons that turn them into frogs or literally throwing dice at them and magically doing a random amount of damage. I'm not saying jRPGs aren't fun but sometimes they just don't make sense.

I see your point, but isn't junctioning is actually a lot like enchanting? I mean you attach a "über cool awsome firedick of dragon ass" to your swords hilt and it starts dealing fire damage... somehow.

There are some jRPG spells, abilities etc. That may feel weird, but in fact it just seems so because most of us are rather alien towards that particular cultural context. I am writing my finishing thesis on japanese art and during my studies I realized that some of the elements in jRPGs have a cultural background in that society.

boynextdoor

Educated
xantrius said:
But yeah they the weird console freaks, bah, it's just hard to trust them with their warped form of taste and all, they're not even real humans are they? ;P

Thanks for the insight.

You are welcome, but I AM A CONSOLE FREAK TOO. : ) no really, MGS, FF, Suikoden they all rock big time.

1eyedking

Erudite
I updated my ATI Drivers and my ePSXe keeps crashing. Trying to solve the problem I cccidentally I deleted my saves, so I'm going to have to (ungladly) start over again.

Meanwhile, I'll treat you to whatever screenshots I could take before it happened.

A user named cat

Are you going to do any of the side stuff? Chocobo (racing, breeding), Ruby/Emerald weapon, Yuffie, best limit breaks, ultimate weapons, hidden materias, Gold Saucer games, etc.?

I'm not sure what qualifies as a powerplay, so I don't know if side shit is fair game. There's a crapload of sandbox stuff to do though and a lot of it is worthwhile, but nothing you'd really need to do to finish the game.

Radisshu

Prophet
Please use a walkthrough to get the very best stuff in the crossdressing quest, because that scene is so disturbing.

1eyedking

Erudite
Interlude (Sector 7 - *incomplete*)

Untitled0-1.jpg

Jessie (one of the AVALANCHE mercs, the secret organization Pointy’s now working for) plants a C4 and provides the team a makeshift door. Flames ensue and we exit.

Untitled1-1.jpg

Untitled2-1.jpg

Zangief thinks it’s time to get out of there. Probably due to lack of watermelons in the area.

Untitled3-1.jpg

Some emo posters plaster the brooding, apocalyptic city as Pointy waits for the camera to actually point him.

Untitled4-1.jpg

I meet a nice lady selling flowers (she's the one from the intro) - nobody seemed to care about her (read: moar emo stuff). She sells them for a gil (the currency in FF7) so I buy one. She’s happy and I’ll probably get to own her tail in the future. I move on.

Untitled5-1.jpg

Untitled6-1.jpg

I am suddenly cornered by Shinra soldiers. Not once, not twice, but thrice. At the fourth encounter, Pointy decides for himself he should jump on the train instead of fighting them. Wimp!

Untitled7-1.jpg

Horny Jessie thinks about what happened to Pointy who fell behind. She’s so wet she can’t wait to feel Pointy’s pointy mem- OK, that’s enough. I’ll leave the fanfiction to Volourn and the rest of you FF fanboys.

Untitled8-1.jpg

Pointy gets inside the wagon, ninja-style.

Untitled9-1.jpg

“Shi’t!”

Untitled10-1.jpg

We get to the other wagon where the normal people travel. Normal as in not having any miniguns attached to their arms, nor having a freaking huge yellow spike coming out of their foreheads.

Untitled12-1.jpg

The localization of this character is almost offensive.

I make Pointy walk and talk around a little, and…
Untitled20-1.jpg

…I get treated the game’s first metaphor! So lame I almost spilled my coffee.

Untitled16-1.jpg

Finally the train arrives to its destination, Sector 7 slums. Zangief tells us to rendezvous at the hideout, wherever that is.

Back to index

Radisshu

Prophet
Damn, seeing this game through the eyes of someone who hasn't got this veil of nostalgia covering them is pretty interesting.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
HAHAHAH those jap writers are so witty.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I tried to replay this, couldn't get through the roller coaster ... too much X X X X X X you get XP!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom