Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat Video Draft

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Initially I wanted to make a newspost about this, but then I thought that perhaps VD would prefer for public attention to be drawn towards the completed video later on. Anyway, here it goes: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/video/co ... _draft.avi

With text descriptions and taunts, it gives me a definite Fallout vibe.

edit: or is it old and I somehow completely forgot about it?

Zhirzzh

Scholar
It's new, it just hasn't been announced because the character died while they were making the video.

The Idiot

Novice
This just keeps getting better and better, except for the lack of sound.

VD, are there still no sound effects at all? Do you plan to include any?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
3 out of 3 strikes in this video are critical hits.
One character scores 2 critical strikes, one for 3, and another for 37 damage.
This is the same character, who the turn before, was critically struck for 11 points and massive damage to vital organs.

I have a couple issues here.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
blocking a crossbow bolt with something that seems like a light wooden or copper/bronze shield also seems weird.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lord Chambers said:
This is the same character, who the turn before, was critically struck for 11 points and massive damage to vital organs.

That's why we didn't post a full video. These things and a couple of others had to be reviewed, but people were waiting. So the draft was uploaded.

Mechanics and criticals are fine, though. The problem was in guards' skills - they were too high.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lord Chambers said:

Criticals depend on your Critical Strike skill and armor quality. It's quite possible to invest a lot into Crit. Strike, at the expense of other skills, and score criticals 7-8 times out of 10.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Criticals depend on your Critical Strike skill and armor quality. It's quite possible to invest a lot into Crit. Strike, at the expense of other skills, and score criticals 7-8 times out of 10.
It's all well and good. I'm confident things will turn out sensibly so I don't know why I'm nit picking but to elaborate:

The text description of someone's internal organs being seriously damaged means to me they are alive but combat ineffective. It's one thing for a game to say "critical strike!" and pop some numbers on the screen but the enemy show no signs of damage. It's another to tell the player "you did massive damage to his internal organs," and have that mean nothing in the gameworld. The text description may make things more vivid, but the whole issue is akin to an Oblivion NPC stealing things and people yelling "hey pickpocket!" No real consequence.

One critical strike by a character is 3 damage. The next one in the same round by the same character is 37damage. That's a huge range, and the first doesn't really qualify as critical, does it?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lord Chambers said:
The text description of someone's internal organs being seriously damaged means to me they are alive but combat ineffective.
allegedly, it depends on the wound, and internal organ damage can be pretty darn unpredictable.
that's some interesting reading material on the matter, though the scope is limited to thrust wounds, since it's about fencing:
http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php
http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/kill2.php
One critical strike by a character is 3 damage. The next one in the same round by the same character is 37damage. That's a huge range, and the first doesn't really qualify as critical, does it?
might be wrong, but to me it seems as if the 3 points crit is reduced in damage to balance the disarming effect, while the second one is simply a killing strike.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
SuicideBunny said:
might be wrong, but to me it seems as if the 3 points crit is reduced in damage to balance the disarming effect, while the second one is simply a killing strike.
That makes sense.

I should add, in this day and age, that I'm not just being sarcastic.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lord Chambers said:
The text description of someone's internal organs being seriously damaged means to me they are alive but combat ineffective. It's one thing for a game to say "critical strike!" and pop some numbers on the screen but the enemy show no signs of damage. It's another to tell the player "you did massive damage to his internal organs," and have that mean nothing in the gameworld. The text description may make things more vivid, but the whole issue is akin to an Oblivion NPC stealing things and people yelling "hey pickpocket!" No real consequence.
It's no different than Fallout's "hit him in the eyes for 12 points of damage". The way I see it, that's just how hit points-based systems work. You can hit a guy with a two-handed axe for 3/4 of his health, but he would take it like a man and won't show any signs of damage. You can go with a system similar to MotB's spirit meter getting penalties proportionate to your health state, but that would lead to reloads every time you get hit.

We have different effects tied to different skills. The "damage to massive organs" get a large multiplier. The other effects (disarming, knockdown, crippling, etc) don't.

The final value depends on the number generated, modifier, and your armor DR.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that - disarming, knockdown etc. seem to be a completely different class than "massive damage to organs" but maybe it should be the other way 'round, i.e. the message depends on the actual damage.

Radech

Augur
Claw said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that - disarming, knockdown etc. seem to be a completely different class than "massive damage to organs" but maybe it should be the other way 'round, i.e. the message depends on the actual damage.

hmmm wouldn't that be abusable - like if you tailored your dude to do "knockdown" dmg on almost every hit you could permastun your opponents and combat would be a walkover

btw what about different crit effects for different weapons?

-blunt weapons should have high chance of knockdown, but little chance to do damage massive organs :P(a critical hit to the head would offcourse knock his helmet down his throat but other than that there's little chance of a mallet piercing armor) and shouldn't be able to disarm
-a sword should have medium chance of disarming(high if it's those fancy scissor swords), medium chance to pierce(low if it's those scissor thingies) and little to no chance of knocking opponent down
-a polearm should have a higher chance of piercing(high if spear a tad lower if polearm or axe) and low chance of knocking down or disarming

I know this is realism bullcrap, and probably highly abusable, but i would still feel wierd if i disarmed a fencer with my 2handed greatmaul of goblinsmashing +2 :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
Radech said:
That's exactly what we have. Hammers - knockdown, axes - split shields, daggers - ignore armor, bows - cripple, swords - disarming, etc. Critical strike skill is responsible for "damage to massive organs" :lol:

Radech

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Radech said:
That's exactly what we have. Hammers - knockdown, axes - split shields, daggers - ignore armor, bows - cripple, swords - disarming, etc. Critical strike skill is responsible for "damage to massive organs" :lol:

ok I'll just shut up and get back in the queue of AoD hungry rpgaholics :P

btw does which weapon you use then effect the chance/severity of hitting this "massive organ" like in DnD(yeah i know i shrug at the thought as well, but at least the system is so dumbed down it's usefull for examples :P) like say hammers has the lowest chance of critting but has the highest crit dmg, and the other way around for rapiers - just makes more sense - i don't care how nimble you are you are not going to hit my spleen with that huge hammer, and that flimsy dagger is not going to crack my skull open either :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom