Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Location - Mountain Pass

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Here are some pics showing the location called "Mountain Pass".As many of you have guessed, I've textured this location, and I like the end result. These are very simple 3DS renders. No fancy lights effects and things like that. Please tell me your thoughts on the textures.

The wall that defends the pass.

One of the watch towers.

A ground level pic showing the remains of an old wall.

A small camp behind the pass barracks.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, I think that it will look better ingame - lightmaps will add some advances light and shadow effects, and the empty areas will be fill with the ingame objects (which are just not present in this Max scene).

Frau Bishop

Erudite
It looks nice. That said, please don't get me wrong, I know it's your part do deal with the eye candy, but I mostly don't care about it. I want a good RPG to play and replay, the "textures" for example in C64 Wasteland are good enough for my taste if the game coming with it is nearly as fun.
Ehm, did I already mention that it looks great? Keep on doing. :)

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I really like what I see. I especially like the location icons you'll be using for the map. This could be RPG of the year or decade for me the way things are looking. :wink:

Hory

Erudite
The stone blocks in the "stone wall remains" are too big, especially considering how thin the wall is.

The texture for the ground is a bit too rocky considering how perfectly flat the area is. To the level modeller - isn't it possible to slightly randomize the Y-axis position of every vertex in those flat areas? Assuming there are enough polys in it... if not, try adding more...

Also, the ground texture feels a bit unnatural - it's too yellow.

The texture on the tents looks a bit too white / clean.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The stone blocks in the "stone wall remains" are too big, especially considering how thin the wall is.

Good point.

The texture for the ground is a bit too rocky considering how perfectly flat the area is. To the level modeller - isn't it possible to slightly randomize the Y-axis position of every vertex in those flat areas? Assuming there are enough polys in it... if not, try adding more...

Oh, I forgot to activate the soil erosion effect... ;)

Also, the ground texture feels a bit unnatural - it's too yellow.

Yeah, maybe I'll desaturate it a little.

The texture on the tents looks a bit too white / clean.

I agree, I'll make them less "new".

Thanks for your suggestions!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder what AoD would've looked like if you hadn't come along. Lucky us.

The graphics have reached a point where I can hardly be bothered to criticise anymore.

Mamon

Scholar
Awesome. Indie RPGs are getting much more proffesional by the time!

To be quite honest I have never like indie RPGs because most of them are UGLY (and no, being 2d or indie is no excuse for bad art). Looking forward to Eschalon and Age of Decadence.

Mamon

Scholar
When is this game coming out anyway? I heard the game is done, but you guys are just polishing, is that true?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Claw said:
The graphics have reached a point where I can hardly be bothered to criticise anymore.
Yup, the graphics are great. The art style/direction and ambiance it conveys is appropriate and works well as a whole. And really, the graphics don't need to get much better than this for an RPG, unless you want to go with the live-actors-with-emotionally-expressive-face-close-ups feel. Maybe a bit more dirtyness in the textures would help render the destroyed-to-ashes-civilisation atmosphere.

I do like the ground texture more than what we have seen up till now. It looks a bit more organic and doesn't seem repetitive. And whatever Hory said, I think you did a good job providing the illusion of an embossed terrain. It's only when the terrain actually changes shape that the illusion is lost (3rd pic). But I don't mind.

Globbi

Augur
Really nice, and even better if it's going to be improoved. It shows that you guys are doing you best.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Mamon said:
To be quite honest I have never like indie RPGs because most of them are UGLY (and no, being 2d or indie is no excuse for bad art).
Aquaria?

Anyway, regarding the screens: they're nice. Reminds me of Mount and Blade in the sense that it's slightly low on polygon count and next-gen visual effects, but still atmospheric. In many ways, better than the shiny-but-not-much-else graphics of, say, Oblivion.

The wood texture on the watchtower (second image) looks sort of weird, though. It seems as if it was built from planks and not logs. A picture from MnB illustrating what I had in mind for a "proper" look.

Also, how about a "locations" video, with the camera panning around, showing off some of the more interesting areas? The world seems pretty interesting, and the few small concept art images at the top of the game's website (awesome they may be) don't quite do it justice.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:
So.....any juicy background information related to this locale along with the snazzy visuals? Or am I asking too much?

It's been mentioned in a couple of quest example threads that are pretty spoiler heavy. They're around somewhere, but I'm far to lazy to find them. It was also shown pre-texture somewhere as well.

Lumpy

Arcane
Eh.
Can't say I'm going to be playing it for the graphics.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
It's been mentioned in a couple of quest example threads that are pretty spoiler heavy around somewhere, but I'm far to lazy to find them. It was also shown pre-texture somewhere as well.

Found it here. Spoilers on the second post.

passageig0.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Found it! Spoilers on the second post. If you don't want to know what happens at the pass then obviously don't click the link!

Don't care about the graphics, but - will locations be small like on this picture?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Take a look at this topic skyway, and also this image in particular. I think it's safe to assume locations will vary in size. And the images of that town are over a year old, who knows what updates have taken place. :)

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
As long as it has walking animations...

Walking is so last-gen. Instead characters will body pop between tiles, accompanied by Kraftwerk's 'Numbers'.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Take a look at this topic skyway, and also this image in particular. I think it's safe to assume locations will vary in size. And the images of that town are over a year old, who knows what updates have taken place

I definitely like the design of this town and a size also. The only worry is about with what that town will be filled :)

The_Pope

Scholar
Bluebottle said:
Jasede said:
As long as it has walking animations...

Walking is so last-gen. Instead characters will body pop between tiles, accompanied by Kraftwerk's 'Numbers'.

Iron tower made the game 37% more extreme and cut down on art costs at the same time by making every character a ninja.

You can't see ninjas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom