Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bradylama's Fallout Iron Man Challenge!

Bradylama

Arcane
Yeah, I was inspired by the Iron Man thread at SA, but this is such a great idea it has to be done. Also, most of these rules I wrote for another community that doesn't obsess over RPGs, so you'll have to forgive the explanations about shit you already know.

Iron Man Thread Challenge: Fallout 1&2

-Where can I get Fallout 1&2?-

You mean you don't have it already!? :gonk: You missed out on fine gaming, my friend. For those of you who cannot find your old copies or have never played the game, Interplay released a game pack shortly before they tanked with both Fallout RPGs and Fallout Tactics on one DVD, all optimized for Windows XP which you can find on any game distribution webstore. Chances are you'll get the International version which had children removed but don't sweat it, there's patches for that.

If you haven't played before I wouldn't recommend playing Iron Man until at least one playthrough, and I suggest starting with Fallout 1 first. If you can't wait for package delivery and want to get them some other way... I don't give a shit.

For those of you installing from the original CD copies use this handy dandy guide for installing 1&2 in Windows2000, NT, and XP. Mac gamers *snort* need not apply.

If you're worried about being able to run it, the games were made in 1998 and 1999. They're 2D, and anybody can run them. You'll have to live with a fixed 640x480 resolution, but the art is so good you shouldn't care.

-Da Rules-

1. Save often and alternate between saves. If one file becomes corrupted you'll need that other one to fall back on.

2.Fallout 2 players should use this patch, which solves the high processing issue with map travel and increases encounters to the normal rate.

3. DON'T RELOAD FAGGOT! Ctrl+L sissy boys aren't welcome. If Dogmeat or any other follower bites the dust, tough shit. Post about it and get mondo cool points. If you die, then that's just a faster trip to the board.

4. Don't use your screename as your character name. You're probably gonna die. It wouldn't do to have your name going up on the board multiple times, so be creative.

5. No Speedrunning. Under absolutely no conditions are you to speedrun through your Iron Man. That's just gay. Don't go to Navarro to get the Power Armor early, don't do anything that would throw off the natural progression of the game. If you want to avoid combat and come back when you're ready, that's fine. To prove that you didn't speedrun, do the following:

6. Update your character's progress using screenshots either via the Print Screen button (not recommended) or by using F12. When saving a screenshot with F12, a .bmp version of your screen will be saved to the game directory. Convert it to JPEG, host it, and post it. Give a description of what's going on and how you're progressing, and don't bore use with how many times you fucked Mrs. Bishop, just tell us about the cool stuff or present it in a humorous or interesting way. If you avoided a major combat then get a screencap of proof, preferably a dialog screen. If you don't have image hosting then use Photobucket.com or any other crappy and free hosting service. If you can't keep up with all the necessary screens, don't sweat it, it's just more interesting this way.

7. Be sure to preface your description of every NPC death with the :( smiley so that I can spot them and add to the tally Board of Fallen Heroes. Make sure to take a screenshot of their beautiful corpse.

8. "I died, what now?" Post about it, Meathead! When your character dies use this picture:
vd_tombstone.jpg

or:
co_tombstone.jpg

for the appropriate games. Describe how you died, and your name goes on the Board of Losers (but you're a winner for being honest), and if you died in a particularly stupid way, it'll go in the Holodisk of Shame. Once you're done with all the info, it's time to make another character in either game, and start anew!

9. "What if I don't die? What if I win?" THEN YOU A WINNER! CONGRATURATION! You get on the Wieners Board. Just be sure to mention whether your character was primarily good or evil, which NPC followers survived, and which one of the multiple endings you're most proud of.

Now GET CRACKING CRACKAS!

Code:
The Wieners
-----------
   Name          Game             Alignment          Gifted           Favorite Ending

1. Meatbag        F1              Good               Yes              Shady Sands becomes NCR
2. Brutilus       F1              Good               Yes              Ghouls become businessmen
3. Mr. Bester     F1              Good?              No               Shady Sands destroyed by raiders
4. Brad           F1              Good               Yes              Shady Sands becomes NCR
5. Boots          F1              Good               No               Ghouls are dead
6. Hotpants       F1              Good               No               Children overrun by the Master's Army
7. Dirtbag        F1              Good               Yes              Arroyo uses the GECK

Code:
The Losers
----------
   Name          Game       Gifted        Cause of Death

1. Shitstorm      F1        Yes           Kane let his brains air out in The Hub
2. Chosen Dumb    F2        Yes           Flesh Feast for Keeng Ra'at
3. Arjalys        F1        Yes           Slaughtered by the Deathclaw in The Hub
4. Kingcomrat     F1        No            Moidalised by the Super Mutants of the Mariposa Facility
5. AshleyJ.       F1        Yes           Given a 13mm lobotomy by the barkeep in Junktown
6. Hillary        F2        No            Gunned down by a group of Slavers outside Vault City
7. Joe            F1        Yes           Tried giving Garl the business.  Garl gave HIM the business.
8. Red Menace     F2        Yes           Devoured by a pack of wild dogs in Modoc
9. Bastard        F2        Yes           Mobbed by molerats on the way to Vault City
10. Fuckface      F1        Yes           Gangraped by the Deathclaws in the Boneyard
11. Hans          F1        Yes           Garl showed love for his daddy
12. Ying          F1        No            Intercepted by a super mutant patrol before reaching the Vats
13. Todd          F2        No            Keeng Ra'at needed a femur-sized toothpick
13. *pew*pew*     F1        No            The Law of Averages was on the Deathclaw's side
14. Tommy         F2        No            Slavers wanted an arm and a leg
15. Eat Lead      F2        Yes           A super mutant's laser rifle left him feeling divided
16. Rar Rar       F1        No            Tried to "make friend" with a pack of radscorpions
17. Marl          F1        No            Shotgunned by the baddies in the Hub
18. Bigguns       F1        No            Kane ate her heart out
19. Jewy          F2        No            Hurt himself falling for the Raider trap.  The pit's radscorpions handled the rest
20. Blanche       F2        No            Got a 5mm makeover from one of the Master's remnants
21. Shithead      F1        No            Burned alive in the Watershed

Code:
The Holodisk of Shame
---------------------
   Name          Game       Gifted        Cause of Death

1. Hunter         F1        Yes           Killed by Ian in Vault 15... intentionally
2. Hanoverf       F1        Yes           Devoured by the Rats outside Vault 13
3. Toxic Waste Boy  F2      No            Punched to Death in the Temple of Trials!  muahahaha!  muahahaha!  muahahaha!
4. Birdman        F2        No            Failed to hep protect moo-moos

Code:
The Board of Fallen Heroes
--------------------------
Fallout 1
   NPC          # of Deaths    # of Survivals
Dogmeat              9               N/A
Ian                  8                1
Tandi                1               N/A
Tycho                3                1
Katja                4                1

Fallout 2
   NPC          # of Deaths    # of Survivals
Sulik                1               N/A
Vic                  4               N/A
Miria               N/A              N/A
Davin               N/A              N/A
Cassidy              3               N/A
Lenny                1               N/A
Marcus               1              N/A
Myron               N/A              N/A
Skynet              N/A              N/A
K-9                 N/A              N/A
Goris               N/A              N/A
Cyber Dog           N/A              N/A
Dogmeat              1               N/A

Bradylama

Arcane
Alright, this time I'm playing Fallout 2 as Chosen Dumb:
f2screen1.jpg

An unarmed build as you can plainly see. FUCK YEAH I'M GONNA PUNCH THE SHIT OUT OF THOSE ANTS
f2screen2.jpg

I convince the guardian that fighting isn't the answer and go to tag my swag...

sqeecoo

Arcane
You don't need more than 8 aglility. Finesse sucks. You are going to die because of your low perception, and thus low sequence. But brave choice, unarmed in ironman.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Must.. resist... urge.... to.... play... fallout....

Ah fuck BG2 I'm installing FO1, edwin can wait a week or two before I turn him back into a man >_>

EDIT:

ss1.jpg

Shitstorm will find the waterchip and bring the second apocalypse upon his enemies. Yes I did tag throwing.

ss2.jpg

Ed is dead and his stuff is mine.

EDIT 2:

ss3.jpg

A slight update, I recruited Ian(using my tagged speech skill) and got a rope and some caps for a knife from the shady sands guard. After over a level worth of experience and god knows how many rats killed and ammo clips lost due to critical misses I managed to clear Vault 15. I looted everything and I'm currently using an SMG with grenades as a backup.

Oh and join the challenge goddamnit.

Quigs

Magister
allright, I got f02 from a torrent, since BOTH of my real f02 discs are scratched to shit and wont run.

Anyway, navarro just aint there. That a problem with the dload, or is there some trigger that makes it show up on the map?

psycojester

Arbiter
To this day i still don't know where my fallout 2 cd went. All i had to remember it is the cool box on my bookshelf of game boxes and a manual containing a recipe for giant pancakes.

Texas Red

Whiner
Quigs said:
allright, I got f02 from a torrent, since BOTH of my real f02 discs are scratched to shit and wont run.

Anyway, navarro just aint there. That a problem with the dload, or is there some trigger that makes it show up on the map?

Im not sure but did you talk to the BoS guy in San Fransisco? The one who asks you to steal the plans?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ha, all the crappy Beth news made me start replaying FO1, but not ironman style (tho no saving during battles).

I'd say Ironman should include no Gifted perk...

Texas Red

Whiner
HanoverF said:
Ha, all the crappy Beth news made me start replaying FO1, but not ironman style (tho no saving during battles).

Not only you. The Fallout torrents wondrously got more downloads

sheek

Arbiter
I'll start a F1 game. It's shorter so at least I'll have a small chance of surviving it.

sheek

Arbiter
Well I can't reinstall I don't have my CD. So I'll play with patch...

How do you make screenshots with Fallout 1 Windows edition? I'm trying to printscreen and copy into PaintShop Pro but I get a mostly black screen with just the numbers of my stats showing up.

image1wz0.jpg

Running in Win95 compatibility.

Anyway, here's my chargen print-out:

FALLOUT
VAULT-13 PERSONNEL RECORD
05 December 2161 0721 hours

Name: Billy Age: 19 Gender: Male
Level: 01 Exp: 0 Next Level: 1,000

::: Statistics :::
Strength: 06 Hit Points: 043/031 Sequence: 06
Perception: 07 Armor Class: 008 Healing Rate: 01
Endurance: 05 Action Points: 09 Critical Chance: 018%
Charisma: 06 Melee Damage: 01 Carry Weight: 175 lbs.
Intelligence: 07 Damage Res.: 000%
Agility: 08 Radiation Res.: 010%
Luck: 08 Poison Res.: 025%

::: Traits ::: ::: Perks ::: ::: Karma :::
Finesse Reputation (General) 0
Gifted

::: Skills ::: ::: Kills :::
Small Guns ..... 053%
Big Guns ....... 008%
Energy Weapons . 008%
Unarmed ........ 062%
Melee Weapons .. 052%
Throwing ....... 038%
First aid ...... 027%
Doctor ......... 012%
Sneak .......... 023%
Lockpick ....... 037%
Steal .......... 018%
Traps .......... 017%
Science ........ 029%
Repair ......... 017%
Speech ......... 047%
Barter ......... 022%
Gambling ....... 034%
Outdoorsman .... 001%

::: Inventory :::

Total Weight: 0 lbs.

[tagged Small guns, Speech & Lockpick]

Bradylama

Arcane
HanoverF said:

I don't believe in limiting character creation options, but after considering it, I WILL add a gifted column for humiliation.

Also Sheek, try using F12, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Update time, shitstorm continues his quest for the waterchip.

ss4.jpg

After leaving vault 15 shitstorm helped with the mudcr.... err radcorpion problem. He killed one scorpion to get his tail and then blew up the entrance trapping the horrible creatures inside. He gave the tail to the doctor guy who gave him the antidote which he used on that dying guy in the back. Scoring yet another victory for the greater good shitstorm heads out to dumpster city or whats it called. Along the way he encountered some radscorpions that just killed some guy. He killed the beasts and looted the corpse.

ss5.jpg

After a warm greeting at the gate he decided to help killian with some religion related tasks involving fat sinners. His persuasion skills allowed him to convince the heretic into confessing his sins which were recorded on a tape that somehow works 80 years after a nuclear war. He was rewarded with a leather armor. Dogmeat was recruited along the way using an iguana on a stick.

ss6.jpg

After killing the obese desk/human hybrid killian was pleased. Now he decided to infiltrate another gang of evildoing sinners.

ss7.jpg

A few hours later the sinner were all dead betrayed by their new ally who was a servant of god. Life is brutal and full of ambushes as a wise man once said. An urn shitstorm borrowed was returned to it's owner soon afterwards. Before leaving junktown shitstorm took a visit at doc morbids who's guards didn't mind people walking into a basement they were supposed to guard at 3 am. There he learned the doc was sending human flesh to an individual named bob in the hub. Shitstorm decided it might be a good idea to visit this "bob". As he was leaving town late in the night the guard didn't want to let him in. WTF thought Shitstorm and decided to wait a few hours. Surprisingly the guard turned hostile which resulted in him getting killed by dogmeat.

ss8.jpg

In the hub shitstorm signed up for solving the missing caravans mystery. He decided it might be a good idea to buy a new sniper rifle for some big game hunting since the old hunting rifle he got from a certain crappy assassin was insufficient for his trigger happy ways. After seeing the price tag on one at some black guys store he decided that he needs caps, lots of them. His first target was vince the drug dealer since he acted like an asshole towards shitstorm, it proved to be a bad idea. After the fight it turned out all the drugs magically disappeared and a miracle of transmutation happened when a metal armor a guard was wearing turned into a leather one. Annoyed by the crap loot Shitstorm looks for a new target.

ss9.jpg

Bank robbing seemed like a good idea, until shitstorm realized that he can't open the large armored door. Was barely surviving the gunfight with Lorenzo and 2 of his goons worth it only to find out the cash is currently beyond his reach? As it turned out it was as all the loot was enough to buy a sniper rifle at the black guys rip off store. Now where I can find some big game hunting? I heard some loony has seen a killer horn or deathclaw or whatsitscalled. The beast should prove to be a match for shitstorm's marksmanship.

ss10.jpg

Shitstorm hit the beasts weakpoint for MASSIVE DAMAGE just when it was about to slice him in half. He found a dying strange green mutant humanoid babbling something about armies, masters and carrying a holodisk that talks about carravan raids done by this army. He went back to the far go trader to get a reward for finding the trinket.

As of now shitstorm is wearing a leather armor and using a sniper rifle. He is followed by Ian and Dogmeat. His stats and perks are:

ss11.jpg

As you can see I picked the toughness perk since it will increase shitstorms survivability.

EDIT:

Shitstorm decided to doublecross Decker BAD IDEA.

ss12.jpg

That kane guy proved to be more dangerous than anticipated, shitstorm decides to hide behind cover. Unfortunately Kane manages to punch him ending his life.

vd_tombstone.jpg

And thus ends the story of shitstorm and begins the story of Hunter who unlike Shitstorm prefers picking locks rather than throwing rocks.

ss13.jpg

His adventure begins as he leaves the dark caves.

ss14.jpg

Texas Red

Whiner
This is a good thread. Continue(I command it).

Hellraiser, are you cheating? How did you manage to survive those fight in the Hub with that puny rifle? And your HP almost full...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Eh I first killed the 2 guards while the door was still closed, I barely survived and dogmeat scored a critical miss breaking his own leg. I ended combat, rested a bit healed dogmeats leg(that took some time bloody low doctor skils). I went inside and surprise surprise Lorenzo wasn't hostile so I borrowed 1k caps and then killed him.I though I made a screenshot after killing the guards but I didn't. Either way shitstorm got owned by kane.

sheek

Arbiter
OK here goes...

My character

image1bd2.jpg

Trying to make an all-rounder, able to talk through situations where it's possible but also fight.

Started off as usual, ran through V13 caves killing two rats, stopped off at Shady Sands, got the RadScorp quest, recruited Ian and killed them all at mid-short range with guns. Didn't get hit because Is stayed behind Ian, he got hit two or three times but never poisoned... easy.

Go back, get the antidotes. Next stop the Raider camp. Go there thinking I'll talk to Garl see what he's got to say (previously always met him after the Tandi kidnap). I'm half way through the door and they start attacking me. I run off, Ian wounds a couple and I escape.

Anyway, go back to Shady Sands and find out Tandi's gone. OK, it's going to be difficult. I have Speech tagged, high Int and Cha though so maybe I can do the imposter thing. I've got a good character and I don't want to have to start over already.

I get there and I see all the raiders grouped up at the edge of the map where I arrive making bullshit threats. Surprised and expecting them to attack I run off to the right, skirting around them and enter their HQ, avoiding Garl.

I go into Garl's 'office' and shut the door. Still nobody reacts. There's one Raider in the room with me, another guarding Tandi, one guarding the back door and there are two in the front room. All the rest plus Garl are outside hanging around the front of the camp.

Not sure if I can pull it off, I quickly search the desk, taking a bunch of ammo and a bottle caps. Before I can loot the fridge, the guard in the room attacks me, and the two goons in the front room rush in.

image2ko7.jpg

Ian and me take care of them, lucky shots, I'm not hit. In the middle of the fight I'm able to open the fridge and grab a Leather vest and Shotgun which I equip.

image3qd4.jpg

I unlock the door and get Tandi out, still no reaction. There's just the one raider between me and freedom...

Typically Ian abandons me at that point, strolling off to the front of the camp for whatever reason (we're now in real-time mode). Me and Tandi sneak out the back but before I can click shoot the guard stabs me with his spear.

image4ie3.jpg

My turn. I aim my shotgun point-blank at his head...

Critical hit! Brains fly.

image5ob6.jpg

Returned to camp, I'm now level three and about to choose my first perk.

Hellraiser

Arcane
vd_tombstone.jpg

Hunter just died, basically ian blocked his path near the med cabinet in vault 15. So I tried to punch him to knock him over and walk over him as per's guide suggested IIRC. I missed and Ian got pissed.
It ended with a critical hit knocking hunter over and Ian's second shot finishing him. Shit Now I need another character, oh well at least we have a hall of shame entry >_>, I'll post my new char's progress once I get to the hub or die.. again...

sheek

Arbiter
I can't remember well what it's like... is Vault 15 doable at level 3? Good rewards? I was planning to go to Junktown first.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Man, this is tempting. If I get a chance, I might go for a small guns/speech/sneak tag team trio to da max.

Bradylama

Arcane
Wow Hellraiser, your PCs got the first entries for both Loser and The Holodisk of Shame. You're like the lamest dude on the planet. Which is tremendously awesome in its own way. How many people are gonna get killed by Ian on purpose?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dont remember making it very far with a severely stoopid character, so Kingcomrat was born, I didn't have very high hopes for him.

kingcomrat.jpg

Usually they shove him out the door on rat keeling duty, this time they fed him a mentat, said something about a waterchip and locked the door behind him.

Not a very warm welcome when stumbling on Shady Sands
Wubba.jpg

brahmin.jpg

Even Ian the back ventilator shunned him, probably a good thing considering
ian.jpg

things didn't get much better in Junktown
gizmo.jpg

or The Hub
grddlesnpp.jpg

I was hoping there might be someone way to do a few quests, but everyone pretty much sends you packing, since that would get kinda dull Mentats to the rescue! What could possibly go wrong?
heroofthestoopid.jpg

I was sure taking on the deathclaw would do him in, but it seemed more interested in trying to dry hump dogmeat
defcla.jpg

Yay
chip.jpg

Boo
ungh.jpg

Adoring public
dreambigkid.jpg

I'm pretty sure they always say this, but being a retarded radiated mentat addict makes it more poignant

We start with Ashley J.

starting.jpg

I killed all the rats in the caves and went to Shady Sands. From there I recruited Ian and went to the Radscorpion caves. No damage was done to me besides Ian shooting me in the back because he's an asshole:
ianass.jpg

Luckily the radscorpions went to him instead of me, so he got the fun of getting damage while I just continued shooting.

We return to Shady Sands and get the antidote and experience and glowing praise from everyone including Tony Shalhoub who annoys me.

I go to the Raider's camp and "befriend" them by killing the two wenches:

raiders.jpg

And now at Level 3 from the radscorpion fighting and going to the Raider camp, I'm about to return to Shady Sands, only to have to return to the Raider camp.

currentlevel3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom