Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD lore

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Here is a screen that appears when you pick up scroll and open up to read it. These are the "lore scrolls", similar to Fallout holodisks in functionality.

The important thing here is the functionality. Every conversation about the various aspects of the lore, every scroll and descriptions of the relevant events will be automatically added to the journal (the lore section) with the source references, i.e. Cassius, Daratan's library, Tribal legends, Ganezzar's tower, Nathos' sarcophagus, etc.

That way your inventory won't be cluttered with scrolls, and you won't have to rely on your memory to remember who said what. Opinions? Ways to improve?

Graphically I consider it´ss ok since the screen is using the template of the journal screen. It may not be the most artistical one but it´s very functional. Besides we tried the artistical approach with VD and it didn´t work. But if you have a suggestion, go ahead! :)

So well, here are some screens, with the opinions of three loremasters about the events of the past.

BEWARE, GAME STORY SPOILERS INBOUND! (At least they were spoilers for me! :P)

EDITED ACCORDING WITH VD´S POST.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not about the writing, but about functionality. Every conversation about the various aspects of the lore, every scroll and descriptions of the relevant events will be automatically added to the journal (the lore section) with the source references, i.e. Cassius, Daratan's library, Tribal legends, Ganezzar's tower, Nathos' sarcophagus, etc.

That way your inventory won't be cluttered with scrolls, and you won't have to rely on your memory to remember who said what. Opinions? Ways to improve?

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I like the simple layout, though one problem I could foresee is that list of names on the left growing to huge proportions and it being difficult to find pieces of information that you need. Is there any sort of sorting/grouping/marking ability to help find or organize information?

Also, the mere sight of large blocks of text like that was enough to get me slightly aroused - I read the first one, and the writing is looking good. It looks like you're on the right track for developing a lore that'll suck you into playing just to find out more about the world.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The lore, is this written by the character himself from his own experiences and adventures, or is it in fact stuff that's available in the game world already, at like a nobelman's library or something? If it's written by the character, is there dummy writing for it? Or I forget if you guys decided to do this or not.

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
I think you should make clearer on screen that these are three opinions on the same subject, at the moment there is nothing signifying the subject of the material, only who said it.
This could be altered by having the subject on the left where the three names are and having the three names in a smaller font indented underneath the subject e.g. The Q'antari Antidas' view
Alternatively you could keep the names as main headers then with a smaller indented font have the subjects themselves e.g. Feng on Q'antari
Which of these you choose would depend on the ratio of sources to subjects and how often the same source comments on a number of subjects.

Also I don't think that Feng's piece should start with "Nonsense." as it indicates a response to an opposing view, if his view is the first you receive then it would not look right.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I like the simple layout, though one problem I could foresee is that list of names on the left growing to huge proportions and it being difficult to find pieces of information that you need. Is there any sort of sorting/grouping/marking ability to help find or organize information?

Unless I´m wrong, this is only the screen on the scroll you are reading. This information then goes to the Journal Screen, where it is stored.

About the suggestions, I agree that some kind of title would be nice. Perhaps at the beggining of the list on the left, acting like a root for the tabs. Like:

The Q'antari
Antidas
Feng
Cassius

I also agree with the "Nonsense" issue. Perhaps it could be replaced with something like this:

"Many loremasters around here "think" that the Q'antari had claws and red eyes. This is pure nonsense. They were as human as you or me."

hiciacit

Liturgist
Would it be possible to create a sort of hyperlinking structure in the lore texts? E.g. "Feng on Q'antari: blahblahblah..." where Feng is like a clickable link that would lead you to the lore info page for Feng. I'm not sure if that would be a lot of work, or that there is perhaps an automatic way to create the links.

Just a small note on the general interface, Elhoim: one thing I really, really, really don't like is how the icons are in different slots that are connected through a little 'tube' or something (this is something that is present in other interface screens as well). Why not put them all in the same, bigger rectangular box, i.e. drop the connecting tubes thing.
Just my irrelevant opinion, so take it as you will...

Nedrah

Erudite
Has the actual implementing of your art actually started already, Elhoim?

I'm always wondering how the photoshop images are going to translate into the actual engine - mainly because of my ignorance of game development proceedings.

Vault Dweller

Developer
SlavemasterT said:
No. The names' font will be smaller though, so we can fit more names. That's the first design draft.

Also, the mere sight of large blocks of text like that was enough to get me slightly aroused - I read the first one, and the writing is looking good. It looks like you're on the right track for developing a lore that'll suck you into playing just to find out more about the world.
Thanks.

Major said:
The lore, is this written by the character himself from his own experiences and adventures, or is it in fact stuff that's available in the game world already, at like a nobelman's library or something?
Everything goes, from someone's opinion to ancient scrolls (also representing someone's opinion). Considering that you are talking about centuries old events, you have no choice but to rely on opinions and try to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Joff said:
I think you should make clearer on screen that these are three opinions on the same subject, at the moment there is nothing signifying the subject of the material, only who said it.
That would be a hint. I remember the reaction of one of the testers who read the "Taller than any human, with glowing red eyes and sharp claws, they came from the depth of the underworld and attacked without warning" line. He never talked to Feng, so for a long time he thought that the war was between the humans and some hellspawns.

Also I don't think that Feng's piece should start with "Nonsense." as it indicates a response to an opposing view, if his view is the first you receive then it would not look right.
Feng doesn't like talking about the ancient history, but he will gladly trash someone else's opinion. I simply copied his entire response, but I can edit it a bit.

Nedrah said:
Has the actual implementing of your art actually started already, Elhoim?
Yes. We'll post the screens soon. Maybe I'll write another article for RPG Vault and post the new screens.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Just a small note on the general interface, Elhoim: one thing I really, really, really don't like is how the icons are in different slots that are connected through a little 'tube' or something (this is something that is present in other interface screens as well). Why not put them all in the same, bigger rectangular box, i.e. drop the connecting tubes thing.
Just my irrelevant opinion, so take it as you will...

It´s a valid opinion, but me and most posters here like it this way. :)

Has the actual implementing of your art actually
started already, Elhoim?

I'm always wondering how the photoshop images are going to translate into the actual engine - mainly because of my ignorance of game development proceedings.

Well, it will look almost the same except for the text. The text will be generated ingame, and it will look the same as it is in photoshop.

Right now we are starting some ingame tests with the Main GUI.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the only two issues that came to my mind have been adressed already:

title/topic structure and
hyperlinks

Also, maybe you could find a better way of displaying whose account you're looking at than just writing it at the top of the text field.

PS:

Elhoim said:
It´s a valid opinion, but me and most posters here like it this way. :)
I didn't like it originally, but it has started to grow on me. ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
Also, maybe you could find a better way of displaying whose account you're looking at than just writing it at the top of the text field.
You click on the name and everything you learned from this source is displayed.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I just meany stylistically. Technically I suppose you don't need the name at all, since like you said, you click on the name and then the appropriate account is displayed, so unless you suffer from Alzheimer's diesease, you already know the source.

But if you want to display it at all, I feel it should look better. Maybe you could have something like a directory path at the top of the sceen:

Code:
Q'antari  -  Antidas

Antidas      text text text text
Feng         text text text text
Cassius      text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text
             text text text text

suibhne

Erudite
Maybe I missed this already being discussed, but will that font scale with resolution? Please say yes please please please. :wink:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I found a typo in the Antidas window. It's "Legendary" not legenday. Also, it's "magic" not magi.

Overall, the text feels a little too corny. "The mighty empire was this and that, ruled this and that, p0wned this and tad...." Boring. Where's the originality, where's the feeling? :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
Morgoth said:
I found a typo in the Antidas window. It's "Legendary" not legenday. Also, it's "magic" not magi.
The first one is a typo, the second one isn't.

Main Entry: ma·gus
Pronunciation: 'mA-g&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ma·gi /'mA-"jI, 'ma-/
Etymology: Latin, from Greek magos -- more at MAGIC
1 a : a member of a hereditary priestly class among the ancient Medes and Persians b often capitalized : one of the traditionally three wise men from the East paying homage to the infant Jesus
2 :magician

Overall, the text feels a little too corny. "The mighty empire was this and that, ruled this and that, p0wned this and tad...."
Intentional. Different people have different opinions. Some are corny, some are naive, some are cynical, etc. Antidas (whose opinion you quoted) is a die-hard "fan" who wants the Empire restored at all costs. So, his opinion makes sense and fits his type.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Morgoth said:
"The mighty empire was this and that, ruled this and that, p0wned this and tad...." Boring. Where's the originality, where's the feeling? :P
What? What exactly would the passages look like with "feeling?"

The fact that the player is presented with historical questions is original enough. The nature of the Q'antari is unclear. Are they demons? Humans? Good, evil, or neutral? Misunderstood or just enemies? The testimony of Antidas, Feng, and Cassius is tainted by their personal agendas. Are they trying to get you to believe a version of the story that benefits their faction? Are any of them trying to represent the truth purely?

None of this is groudbreaking, but in today's gaming plots ambiguity and player thought is hard to come by and I'm thankful for whatever I can get. I don't know what "feeling" is, but so far I'm happy with what I see.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Vault Dweller said:
Joff said:
That would be a hint.
Personnaly, I agree with Joff. I get what is your issue with it though. Hopefully the information is presented clearly even if it's sorted by source rather than subject.

A suggestion: What about, when you're viewing information about a certain (unnamed) subject, you'd get on the left side Related: (or "On the same subject") followed below it by the indented names of the sources of information.

On something else, I see there is going to be lots of text in the Journal. What about adding some basic navigation buttons such as back and forward (and maybe others). I believe they're going to see much use, especially if you are going to implement hyperlinks.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Suggestions:
-Highlight the currently chosen Name.
- Create a second layer of "topics" (or merely use the first words) and put those in a third column between name and Main text, so that you get an overview of the lore topics from that character - considering the lengthy entries it will become difficult to find an entry even when its only four or 5 entries.
Antidas ---- "The empire was founded..." ---- "The empire was founded more than [Main text]
Feng ------- "Ancient scrolls claim..."

Writing is still being edited? E.g
rose from the deep to met... -> meet
Then the both armies... -> Then both armies

sqeecoo

Arcane
I must say I am very impressed by these screens! While the writing could use a bit of editing (you have an unnecessary comma in "leaving nothing, but ashes" in the first text, for instance), the story seems great. I generally don't like exploration in games so much, but just reading these texts makes me want to search ancient ruins to get to the bottom of this - or at least to get more clues from which to piece together a believable story - in fact, thats even better!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks. Since a lot of people liked it, I'll post a few more screens today for your amusement. Don't worry, they won't ruin anything.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Thanks. Since a lot of people liked it, I'll post a few more screens today for your amusement. Don't worry, they won't ruin anything.

I think I will check my mail now ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom