Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blades of Decadence?

Fez

Erudite
I'll understand if it's something that is far from your thoughts right now, but I am curious: have you considered at all the possibilities of modding for your game in the future? Are you developing it at all with these things in mind to make it easier for people to access the code/editor/game at a later date? Will there be a toolkit eventually or Blades of Avernum type release? Is this a game a one off or are you going to release a series of games in the same word?

Note that all of the above assumes that the release goes well enough not to discourage you from ever developing again. :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fez said:
...have you considered at all the possibilities of modding for your game in the future? Are you developing it at all with these things in mind to make it easier for people to access the code/editor/game at a later date?
No. I don't really care about mods for other games myself, so it's not something I wanted to do with AoD.

Is this a game a one off or are you going to release a series of games in the same word?
Depends on the interest. While I would prefer working on a different game, if people really like the setting, why not?

Durwyn

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
Is this a game a one off or are you going to release a series of games in the same word?
Depends on the interest. While I would prefer working on a different game, if people really like the setting, why not?
Better not.. You can fall into Jeff Vogel Syndrom. Making a sequel of sequels sequel, with only minor changes.

Fez

Erudite
DarkSign said:
Yeah! And we want multiplayer too! Can we have multiplayer with persistent worlds and saved characters??

Shush you. :lol:

Vault Dweller said:
No. I don't really care about mods for other games myself, so it's not something I wanted to do with AoD.

Ah, righty ho. I was wondering if you were planning on following in Vogel's footsteps, mostly because mods to seem to breathe some life into games and keep them alive for longer. Nothing like an active community around a game to spread the word. I'm not complaining though, just nosey.

So you're not sick of it yet then? That's a good sign.

Jed

Cipher
No sequel! Instead, do that "generation ship" sci-fi game you described months ago ...

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
DarkSign said:
Why not a web-based game where real life 12-14 year old girls interested in learning about sex get matched with older men based on responses to RPG gaming questions?

Which begs the question, which of these two factions do you belong to? :shock:

While I am personally all for modding, I have to admit I am not sure that what will likely remain a niche title will have all that much to gain from modding, with so many high profile moddable games around - unless there'd really be groundbreaking new game mecahnics on offer that could not be emulated with any other platform. Still, what would be lost by putting out a short documentation of the file formats and tools that were used to make the game, so that if people want to hack new stuff in, they can?

GhanBuriGhan said:
DarkSign said:
Why not a web-based game where real life 12-14 year old girls interested in learning about sex get matched with older men based on responses to RPG gaming questions?

Which begs the question, which of these two factions do you belong to? :shock:

While I am personally all for modding, I have to admit I am not sure that what will likely remain a niche title will have all that much to gain from modding, with so many high profile moddable games around - unless there'd really be groundbreaking new game mecahnics on offer that could not be emulated with any other platform. Still, what would be lost by putting out a short documentation of the file formats and tools that were used to make the game, so that if people want to hack new stuff in, they can?
That's Mount & Blade you're talking about there, mister.

Edit: Yours truly, Captain Obvious. :oops:

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Elhoim said:
Remember that if people want to mod, they´ll find the way to do it. See Baldur´s Gate, for example.

BG mods nearly all suck. A few do surprising things but have help fromt he developers to do so.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jim Kata said:
Elhoim said:
Remember that if people want to mod, they´ll find the way to do it. See Baldur´s Gate, for example.

BG mods nearly all suck. A few do surprising things but have help fromt he developers to do so.
Help from Bioware? Such as?

Btw, <a href="http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/">Infinity Engine Structures Description Project</a>.

jcompton

Novice
There's only one Infinity mod which can reasonably be said to have had "help from the developers" and that was Ascension. You could maybe count in some of the very old AI scripting discussions a few of the developers allegedly participated in way back, but that's it.

This is true, but the shroud over the Infinity internals meant that it took years just for people to work out the file formats well enough to be able to do anything interesting with the game--and even then, it took an enterprising programming breakthrough in order to be able to do anything particularly interesting, like install more than one substantial mod at a time. And by time anybody worked out how to do anything, most of the people who decoded the file formats had lost interest and moved on and never got to participate directly in creating significant content. That's always struck me as very sad.

There's also a real concern for small developers that supporting an unmodified game is challenging enough--having to support one that may be suffering from a lot of hackery can complicate matters further.

So on the one hand, it does do modders and players a favor to give them more insight, but on the other hand if the game doesn't naturally have an easy user-accessible way to add and remove content modules, it's still going to take some effort on the part of modders to make it easy for players.

There's a third hand... although a smaller pool of players means a smaller pool of potential modders, there's an awful lot to be said for signal-to-noise ratio both as a modder and a player. Call it the "big fish/small pond" scenario.

But ultimately it's the decision of the developer and etc.

Dagon

Scholar
Jed said:
No sequel! Instead, do that "generation ship" sci-fi game you described months ago ...

agree on this
there aren't too many S-F rpgs
and I would definetely want to see something like this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom