Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Journal Screen

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
Nice screen but what happened to the sort options? Also I think this line would be better than the current one for the Imperial Guard quest. "Along with five other recruits your first ..."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joff1981 said:
Nice screen but what happened to the sort options?
Unnecessary.

Also I think this line would be better than the current one for the Imperial Guard quest. "Along with five other recruits your first ..."
Definitely.

no

Novice
Looks great. I'm really curious what the "Techniques" and "Characters" menus are about. Known alchemy/crafting techniques? Skill perks/abilities learnt from NPCs? Standard dialogue history with a NPCs, or something more exotic like the player characters personal observations of NPCs dependant on stats/skills like perception or intelligence?

no

Novice
Wow, the latter sounds interesting. Is it there just for literary/atmospheric flavour or does it actually introduce elements to raw gameplay? i.e. you get some info outside normal NPC interaction that gives you new ways to solve a puzzle?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No. It simply describes NPCs based on your experience with them. Using that stone guardian (see the questions on factions thread) as an example, if you buy his casual attitude, your notes will reflect that. If you see through his bullshit, your notes will be different. And so on.

Your relationship with NPCs will change throughout the game. Friends may become enemies, enemies may become friends (depends on your actions, of course). The journal will record the history of your relationship with different people.

no

Novice
Is there a falloutish ending slideshow for locations/characters as well, or are all the "consequences" told through such journal entries? (I take that the "Locations" menu is similar to the "Characters" one?)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes, there is a Fallout-style slideshow, although consequences are added to the journal as you go; and yes, the locations menu also reflects the changes within each locations.

We'll post some more screens tomorrow to illustrate what I wrote.

Veracity

Liturgist
Slylandro said:
I'd like an option to add/edit my own entries.
Agree that this is a kind of nice feature to have (as are user-annotated maps), but I'd personally be against it unless there's an easily integrable third-party library to hand that'll deal with it adequately. People seem to tend to underestimate how hard it is to write a decent text editor, and the ones built into games are more often than not unbearable. If adding such a thing is going to require significant time investment, I think a better solution is simply to ensure you're Alt-Tab safe and/or windowable, and let people make their personal notes in a decent external editor, or notepad, or (heaven forbid) with a pen.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not exactly what you'd had in mind when you signed up, but it's a start.
Every time I'm told by an RPG what my character thinks or expects, I murder a cute little bunny. Please, think of the bunnies!

Otherwise, pretty cool. And the journal screen looks awesome.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, do you just kill it or do you eat it too? There's nothing wrong about killing a cute little bunny and eating its meat.
My grandpa raises bunnies. Young bunnies are cute, but I never had a problem eating them.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Yes, there is a Fallout-style slideshow, although consequences are added to the journal as you go; and yes, the locations menu also reflects the changes within each locations.

We'll post some more screens tomorrow to illustrate what I wrote.

And here they are!

What do you think? It's too verbose or not? Or suggests too much?

Discuss!

Mr Happy

Scholar
Looks pretty good, though in general, how much hinting does the journal give you in terms of quest info? Does it just take down what the things you learn, or does it give suggestions?

Ex: Kotor's silly journal that was always like "Maybe if you talk to <insert> you can find out more about Carth and his homosexuality, after you level up of course" even though you were never told anything like that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Mr Happy said:
how much hinting does the journal give you in terms of quest info? Does it just take down what the things you learn, or does it give suggestions?
No suggestions, only what you've learned.

Fez

Erudite
Sucks.

I jest. I do like it, I don't think it is too verbose. It's nice that you've got the journals to reflect the PC's thoughts and experiences, rather than giving them a more generic feel.

Fryjar

Augur
It's just a detail, but could you tarnish the quill a bit more?
Right now it looks a bit too clean and bright, especially when youn take the surroundings into account.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's fine. Like others have said though, if you could crunch down each quest into a shorter description unless you click on it to expand it than that would better.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Vault Dweller said:
Joff1981 said:
Nice screen but what happened to the sort options?
Unnecessary.
How come?
Is it that when you click on quests you have a choice of filters?
For what it's worth, I thought sorting would be useful to find specific information.

Plus, expanding quest info by clicking on the title is really a must.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Azael said:
Looks fucking great if you ask me. I really dig the way the entries show up very different depending on your actions (and skills?).
Yep, skills too. It takes a skill to figure out that Feng is lying to you.

Lumpy

Arcane
"He could only be described as old, usually followed by <<bastard>>"?
Somehow, that doesn't sound right. Maybe "He could only be described as old - an old bastard, that is." would be better?

Kraken

Scholar
The first one looks wrong. First there's a general description of Feng, saying he's and old bastand, very greedy etc. Then in the next paragraph, he's a nice old man. It makes little sense. The player will obviously know they are getting fooled, and the character would have to be pretty dumb to first hear all these nasty things about him, and then just forget about all of it. What about different intros, or at least make it more neutral?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
"Friendly old man" sounds like sarcasm to me, but maybe it's not extreme enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom