Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Journal Screen

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
You were expecting a screen, right? Well, you´ll be dissapointed.

Now I want YOU to make a screen (nothing too fancy, just a concept will sufice), or to give some ideas on how the Journal Screen shoud be.

So let the brainstorm begin! (If there are any brains left around here :P)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
A scroll of papyrus with a feather pen tipped with dark blue ink. Or even a pen made from a human or animal bone (sharpened to a point).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What kind of functionality do you think it should have? (Completed Quests, Active Quests, Journal, Sort by Date, etc.).

spacemoose

Erudite

BAUHAUS that's how I roll

but seriously, I think it should be very similar to the last EXTREME character screen, with two primary areas - one area has a 'file tree' structure for the journal - here you choose whether you want to view general notes, area notes, or quest notes, and the second area with the actual text. nothing fancy

vazquez595654

Arbiter
No, I prefer a PDA

Seriously though I think there should be some sort of color coding ala Arcanum. I think Fallout is probably the worse example for a journal system, maybe even worse than Morrowind if I remember correctly.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Elhoim said:
What kind of functionality do you think it should have? (Completed Quests, Active Quests, Journal, Sort by Date, etc.).
The more ways you have of sorting it the better - date, alphabetical, faction, whatever. The most important thing is to make it useful. If the player is supposed to be writing stuff down, that's one thing - if the game includes a journal function that's supposed to represent your character writing down relevant information, then the damn journal ought to record the important bits. It's annoying when you're told something quest-vital in a game, and the journal doesn't record it - especially when you get some minor side quest on the fly and don't have the inclination to deal with it immediately. You should at least have enough info to set you back on the right track.

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
@vasquez, I actually thought fallout's was fine, although it would have been better if it gave more details on quests as needed rather than just giving the goal. I don't really see the point of having a separate listing of the quests you've completed, once they're done they're done IMO, but others would probably like it.

Perhaps VD could give us some sample journal entries (preferably from already known quests to avoid spoilers) so that we know more about the requirements. If you can only get quest per faction at a time then sorting by faction becomes less necessary. How are the quests normally received? Most of the ones discussed so far seem to be gained from faction members, if there aren't many non-faction quests and you can have multiple quests from each faction open at once then sorting factionally would make sense.

Perhaps the default view should be a list of the most recent changes/additions to the journal, along with the section they pertain too. That way when you get the journal updated message you can easily see what was just added/changed, or maybe you could display that info in the text box in the main GUI, perhaps with a link to the relevant journal page. e.g. New Quest Added: Deliver package to Captain Fedecks, or Journal Entry: Character: Captain Fedecks. I really can't say what the screen needs until I get a better idea of what sort of information the journal holds so come on VD spill the beans.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the main journal area should only show entry titles by default (in a different color or font or font size), in this case "Assasination Contract", and when you'd click on the title it would expand with all the relevant info. You know, like a folder tree.

This would help a lot with the clutter if there's lots of journal entries, and would make finding for a specific information easier since you see more stuff at a time.

And maybe, if there is alot of quests that are not faction-specific, add a "regional" filter.

Wild Slop

Arcane
so far so good

then theres always...

journal.jpg

...no charge

He will have a right arm that will animate to reach up and push the selected buttons above

Slylandro

Scholar
I'd like an option to add/edit my own entries.

Is journal entry traversal purely analog (mouse clicks)?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Looks pretty good. I agree with Ismaul's and Slylandro's suggestions. You shouldn't get the full text for an entry until you click on it to make the journal easier to browse (assuming that you have a lot of entries) and it would be really helpful to be able to add your own notes.

Lumpy

Arcane
Despite the low functionality, Morrowind's journal was, well, immersive. Tribunal also added a quest sorting feature.
If you haven't played it, it worked like this: entries were written in the order they were received, and you could also view all entries related to a particular quest.

Kraszu

Prophet
Maybe instead of showing description of every quest, have something like:
+Assassination Contract
+quest 2
+quest 3

When you click on + the hole description will be shown. Also it should be told where the inn is.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
Okay, here is a WIP based on yours and VDs suggestions, along with some additions of my own.

Looks quite functional. And pretty. Don't like the papyrus and quill thing, and I really don't like how the sorting options are set in the rock/marble. I mean the little tunnel-y sections between them. Why not put them in a single, larger box, like the one to the left?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree. It looks functional, simly, stylish.

I also agree about the sorting. How about using the button-like look from the skill captions in the character screen (and elsewhere)?

I do like the quill, personally.

MacBone

Scholar
Here are some examples of scrolls and such from a restored Imperial library:

scaffali1.jpg
scaffali4.1.jpg

scaffali2.1.jpg

Would it be practical to have different scrolls in a container and pull out a specific scroll, like Quests or Techniques?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
sheek said:
What is 'Techniques' for?

I don´t know. Maybe you can learn some techniques and there is where the descriptions appear.
Lists all known/available techniques and explains what they do. Since some techniques are unlocked automatically or improved automatically once you reach a certain skill level, I decided to give you a convinient crafting/alchemy overview.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
New WIP, with real quests and following some suggestion´s VD gave me by mail:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom