Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD music, part 2

One Wolf

Scholar
sounds good, i'm overjoyed at the sober tone of the new music (and the two clips you previously posted from the same composer). the third sample is less dark and more dramatic, but it might work out as combat music.

nice work.

Rina

Scholar
Not that my opinions would matter much to anyone, but here you go anyway:

This sounds like very place specific. I'm sure it fits very well to somekind of places, but I hope this isnt your average town music. :?

I LOVE this one! It has weird feeling that inspires images of a devastated world that was once full of life.

Maybe its just me, but I just cant imagine combat with this on the background. Its too pompous and cheerful for that, and makes me think of a bard telling epic tale.
I really like it though, and I think it would be great as intromusic, or for ending credits or something.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
#1 sounds to dense and atmospheric for town music. It sounds great and I'm sure it could fit some place, but I'd rather expect it when exploring some desolate, mysterious location.

I second Rina on #2.

I'm uncertain about #3. It might work, but I actually think it might be too long and too varied. I feel a shorter, more homogenous theme would make better combat music.

callehe

Liturgist
The second one is the best - it reminds me of fallout music.

as Rina said, the third is to cheerful to be combat music, try something darker and less cheerful.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I like the dark and desolate tones of the first two, I'm glad you've maintained that feel in some of the selections; at times the combat music sounded like a fantasy version of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which was cool when it was happening, though I agree with Rina that other aspects of it are a bit off - the "jinky" bits in the background are a little dischordant. Though it isn't bad.

Perishiko

Scholar
The first two were incredibly awe inspiring. No criticism for them.

But, this third one, for whatever reason... It reminded me of tactics ogre. Don't know why, but I heard it, and saw the cutscenes from the opening part. Not much to say against it, as I liked it too. The transition just seemed a little off coming from the first two.

Not that it'll really count for much, but my personal favorite was the first one.

And thanks for the drop. I've been waiting to hear some more of the music from the game. That's the top features of a games atmosphere in my book. It puts me at ease to know the music will be in good taste.

Jora

Arcane
I like all of them. They work well for the purposes they were made and I hope you decide to keep them.

darks

Novice
I like them all, too. Althoug the third has a bit "techno"ish-feeling to it.. But great Artwork nonetheless. Definitly keep`em!

Jason

chasing a bee
World4 works for me.
The guitar on Town3 reminded me too much of a slowed down surf instrumental, like the Ventures.
Probably not the intended vibe, but it's doubtful anyone else would think of that.
Combat7 was too overbearing for combat music. It would get on the nerves if I had to hear it every fight. It's better for a travel cutscene/montage sort of thing. Or a credits screen.
Overall, I'd prefer to have something more subdued, maybe dark ambient stuff like Lustmord.

Slaine

Scholar
town3 and world4 are good...very good (nothing to complain there)

but that combat7 song has one weird synthetic beat that just reminds me of tetris (aside that it has a good feel, just please change the sound of that synthetic beat - the one that starts in foreground and then continues in background)

Relien

Scholar
Town and world tracks are great and I'm looking forward to the atmosphere they'll help to create in the game.

The "combat" music is good as well, I just have to agree with the others that I don't really think it should be a combat music. I have problems imagining that I concentrate on a fight while hearing it - it just doesn't create the right tension for me. Perhaps it should be more monotonous, perhaps changing some instruments would help. If you take a look at soundtrack for Heroes of M&M 3, which is pretty good in my opinion, they always use some kind of quick drum rhytms for combat. It's a strategy game and they were probably aiming for a different atmospere (big armies and such), but you might get an inspiration from it.

no

Novice
Great stuff. Kudos to the artist for being able to compose interesting and fitting melodies that don't just sound like overly generic fantasy muzika.

The first & second pieces are fantastic. Both got nice buildup and haunting melody that's pleasing to listen but that shouldn't be to intrusive as a BGM. The style overall reminds me of Michiel van den Bos's MOD soundtrack for Age of Wonders. Minor nitpick: the string sample used in town3.mp3 during 0:17-0:34 sounds a bit too muddy, like using a violin sample for playing too low notes.

I agree with others about the third one though. The dramatic latino dance with the spanish guitar might fit perfectly into a glitzy Hollywood movie where barechested Antonio Banderas is wrestling with a bull and fencing with ten banditos only using his turgid penis (both at the same time, of course), BUT... it might be a bit too pompous for a turn-based combat that's hopefully as tactical as you say it will be. As baby arm said, it would get on the nerves if I had to hear it every fight

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Quick comments: there are no average (i.e. generic) towns in AoD, so the town music is for a very specific place. There are seven combat tracks, so you won't have to listen to the same track every time.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Well, to be honest, I like the second one, and the later parts of the first one. I do not like the guitar that's very prominent in the beginning of the first song, I'm sort of expecting it to burst into a crappy grunge song.

A more general comment: the sound patches/midi instruments that the composer used sound very cheap, especially in the third song, and to lesser extend in the first. I had a few "Amiga days" flashbacks listening to these tunes, but perhaps thet's the vibe you're going for. Also, there seems to be little or no velocity programming (the dynamics of how hard notes are played), which makes everything sound somewhat sterile.

mr nobuddy

Educated
for some reason the combat music reminds me of some of the Deus Ex tracks. Not sure whether you think that is good or bad ...

denizsi

Arcane
Combat track is horrible. The other two tracks are fine but there's something funny about the 'production quality' of the songs, Like hiciacit said, they feel like some distorted guitars might break in just any minute.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
First off, excellent music! Give the composer a cheese sandwich from me. :)

Vault Dweller said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/snd/AoD_town3.mp3
I agree with Rina. It feels way too special and important to be "just a town"-track. Not that it wouldn't work, because it would, but it'd be a shame to waste it as a "just a town"-track. Maybe a really important town? I dunno.

Edit: Read your post, VD. Okay, an important town. Good. Phew. :wink:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/snd/AoD_world4.mp3
Love it. Agrees with the rest.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/snd/AoD_combat7.mp3
No, I can't picture myself listening to this doing the combat thing. It'd work well in a Final Fantasy-game, but... no. It sounds way too much like an 80's action series theme song building up to, at the end, display the name of the director of today's episode. Credits, perhaps?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Locue said:
No, I can't picture myself listening to this doing the combat thing. It'd work well in a Final Fantasy-game, but... no. It sounds way too much like an 80's action series theme song building up to, at the end, display the name of the director of today's episode. Credits, perhaps?
I like this combat track a lot, but it's one of seven tracks (or eight, don't recall). I believe it fits the situations where it will be played, but that's just my opinion.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:
I like this combat track a lot, but it's one of seven tracks (or eight, don't recall). I believe it fits the situations where it will be played, but that's just my opinion.
"The situations"? Can you give us a hint about that? To me, the track's just a bit too up-beat, which was why I thought of it as an FF-track. Listening to it, I can see myself playing a boss battle and clicking attack, watching Cloud run at the enemy with his penis compensator. Come to think of it, I'd probably accept it more as an "important fight"-track.

Question: will the tracks be set to loop or change after they're done playing? Listening to the combat track, it ends after 2½ minutes rather abruptly (but very epic sounding with the whailing lady in the background).

Gwendo

Augur
I confess I was expecting to hear music with instruments appropriate for an ancient rome/greece era.

On the other side, this is a fantasy game, so I won't take that into account.

1. Somewhat ominous. But I like it.

2. Appropriate. Background-ish.

3. Yahoo! Makes me remember westerns. :P The music is beautiful in itself, but as a background music for strategic combat, it seems a little bit distracting and a little bit out of place. Yet, it's aceptable.

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:

If this track is for some "epic" combat, or "drama"-filled combat... :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Locue said:
"The situations"? Can you give us a hint about that? To me, the track's just a bit too up-beat, which was why I thought of it as an FF-track. Listening to it, I can see myself playing a boss battle and clicking attack...
There are no boss battles, obviously. However, there is a difference between, say, a fight in a dark alley and a gladiatoral battle, or between attacking a raider's camp and attacking a town (not by your lonely self, of course).

Question: will the tracks be set to loop or change after they're done playing? Listening to the combat track, it ends after 2½ minutes rather abruptly (but very epic sounding with the whailing lady in the background).
My mistake. I posted the unfinished version by mistake (so many files). The final one is more polished. Some tracks are set to loop, some tracks go in sequence.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:
"The situations"? Can you give us a hint about that? To me, the track's just a bit too up-beat, which was why I thought of it as an FF-track. Listening to it, I can see myself playing a boss battle and clicking attack...
There are no boss battles, obviously. However, there is a difference between, say, a fight in a dark alley and a gladiatoral battle, or between attacking a raider's camp and attacking a town (not by your lonely self, of course).
Well, it does have a sort of "ultimate" feel to it. Like "this is it, the world will end unless I defeat Sarevok". It's quite pompous and epic and I can't say I think it'd fit as a fight in a dark alley or raider's camp, those situations seems made for darker tracks. Gladiatorial battle, however, I can dig.

My mistake. I posted the unfinished version by mistake (so many files). The final one is more polished. Some tracks are set to loop, some tracks go in sequence.
Okay, cool. Let's have that then. :wink:

Faustus

Novice
I think all three are very good. I really like the last one a lot. A little MIDI-ish but excellent composition. I definitely get the epic "final battle" sense to it....and it does kind of remind me of a the good, bad, and ugly for some reason. Cool. More please. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom