Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Children?

whatusername

Scholar
Will there be children in the game?

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Like in Fallout, german version? :wink:
But, serious, how can children be irrelevant? Why don't they play a role in your design? After all they are an important part of.. well, any living society.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Frau Bishop said:
But, serious, how can children be irrelevant? Why don't they play a role in your design?
No idea. Didn't find a fitting role, I guess.

After all they are an important part of.. well, any living society.
So are pets, livestock, food markets, etc, yet they are not in the game. You can't buy food in the game, but you assume that it's somewhere there. Same with kids.

obediah

Erudite
Will my character be able to have an abortion? Or is an unwanted child one of these consequences we've been hearing so much about?

(I promise I'm just posting this to be a smart ass, not derail this thread.)

Spazmo

Erudite
The real reason there's no kids in this game is because of a court ruling against VD that states that he can't go anywhere near children. It was judged that designing child NPCs in a video game would be a violation of his parole.

mytgroo

Scholar
Good reason not to put them in.

Hmm. Having them as unkillable background characters is interesting in towns. Just animations. Spiderwebsoftware does this. You will run into problems selling RPGs in Europe if you put kids in weirdly violent situations with kids. The sensors will get you-- they had Fallout remove the kids from the gam. There was a quest to cure a sick child in one of the games. If you are playing with factions-- having characters who will inherit position makes sense. Royals and lords have placeholders.

Bradylama

Arcane
What about children informants, or families with children? Kids are easily manipulable, it was impossible to come up with a way for a child to play a role in a quest or something? Children could have also been a part of the 40 Thieves.

I don't know. I know it's not my game, but you couldn't think of roles for children to play?

whatusername

Scholar
I have another question.

Can you make your character masturbate using the 'streetsmarts' skill?

Leo Valesko

Novice
I don't really think that children or chickens are really vital to the RPG. Unless you want all of the RPG's to be Fable-clones :)

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Spazmo said:
The real reason there's no kids in this game is because of a court ruling against VD that states that he can't go anywhere near children. It was judged that designing child NPCs in a video game would be a violation of his parole.

Save it for the news posts, Spazmo.

Immortality

Novice
I do think children/chickens/markets/etc are relevant to the game, simple because its a RPG.

Id probably wouldnt want to have children in Battlefield II, as its a FPS, but when you are creating a game so extensive and with so many options, people and cities as AoD then the thing changes...

The storyline is no doubt for grown-ups, but that doesnt mean you can insert a child NPC here and there. I am a Baldur's Gate lover, and you had some small kids running around, and of course, chickens. :) They dont really need to have big parts in the game, but it definitelly adds to it. Take the Morrowind mod that adds children for example.

Now... another and way different thing to think about is the amount of time and work that creating children and putting them in game as a mere diversion for the eyes takes. ...then thinking about this, probably making children isnt a priority.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Immortality said:
...then thinking about this, probably making children isnt a priority.
Pretty much. It's always a matter of time, and we're already running out of it.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
suibhne said:
There goes the Mark Foley role-playing option.

/low-hanging fruit

Haha!

Well, you could just drop the console and type in sexually explicit things to an imaginary 16 year old boy. You won't get a reply, but I doubt he always did anyway. :lol:

Cruces

Novice
are there at least women in the game? I can't see any female char screenshots from the gallery

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom