Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD town, part 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The town has been tweaked and updated, to reflect your criticism and endless bitching

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

To remind you, it's a model, so don't pay any attention to the ground. The in-game town would have grass, stone roads, trees, dirt, etc. Comments?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
This looks really fucking nice, VD. I especially love how the breaks in the wall have wood in them instead of trying to be repaired, kinda like a patch over a pair of jeans.

Jora

Arcane
The wooden gate, the palace, the broken pillars and the walls all look great. There's nothing left to improve, so get back to finishing other parts of the game!

Relien

Scholar
It looks great, but still - the gate is quite useless when the wall has holes in it. What about putting the wooden logs into the remaining holes as well, and moving the poorest people in the tents in front of the gate (outside)? Just a suggestion.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Looks a lot better, but as the others said all gaps in the wall should be patched in some manner, or at least be in the process of being patched.

callehe

Liturgist
the town layup has improved greatly, good job! but i actually liked the old palace better, less extravagant and more robust looking than this one.

RGE

Liturgist
Ah, that tent town is like the unprotected underbelly of the town. Just send in a few scouts disguised as poor people and the town is yours! :twisted:

Avé

Liturgist
I'd make the walls slightly less symmetrical by taking a lump out of one corner(a small square, inverting the walls)

Looks nice to me, too. The hole in the poor quarters seems a bit iffy to me as well, though. Leaving a hole there just makes having the wall less valuable to the residents who really matter to the town. Seems like they'd have patched that hole, too, let the poor folks who want easy access to the shanty town be damned. If it's important to have a secondary access to the town, maybe the poor folks have dug a secret passage to get back and forth, but a gaping hole in the wall is just too obvious.

Shouldn't the collapsed columns have been appropriated and reused in other structures or the wall, too? They seem a bit out of place in the middle of an active town. It's not like the Parthenon or something where they value leaving everything untouched as a remembrance of times past and tourist attraction, those are valuable building materials sitting on valuable real estate.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Agreed. Roman monumental structures were cannibalized for practical purposes because it was easier than quarrying. Especially when you have a hole in the wall, it's pretty absurd to leave the columns lying around. Of course, if the people were too weak / poor to move the columns, maybe they wouldn't, but given the construction of wooden defenses, that seems dubious . . . .

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I love it, besides the bitching we did that you improved upon the town just seems more full which i dig. The hole near the shantytown is fine as long as there isn't some immenent threat from some neighboring city/country. Just station some guards to keep an eye on the paupers and i think you have a great lil' town.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You might even write a quest or something about how the shantytown people are forcibly keeping the breach open for their own convenience/safety/etc. and need to be negotiated with/intimidated/whatever.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Looks good (love the shanty town outside the walls), the wealthy area looks a little close to the peasants though, for the other cities have you considered looking at khorinis in gothic2? where the rich are sectioned off from the rest of the city (higher elevation, secondary wall, and protected by a keep). Should make it look less flat and add that little extra style to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom