Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
WTF. I can understand calling out Skyway for being too much of a contradictory rage machine, while VD is balanced, crystal clear, and you call him butthurt.

Go on, VD! There is NO CRPG IEXPECT out there but AoD, that's why I think I'm gonna go tabletop, period!
You're the man. You're a hero, fucking fuck. You're the ultimate bro.
:salute:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
circ said:
Maybe it's a good thing then that non US residents can't watch what ever it is.

Its a troll. Its some standard tool for creating South Park Charachters.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
I wouldn't be surprised if the actual creator was somehow like it. You know, because that would be meta. SP is all about meta. And also, making fun of two things while not proposing a third alternative.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I know some of you guys keep thinking that DS3 was a failure, either because you didn't like it, or because you think over 820k units is a failure.
When we show publishers DS3, including the review scores which were mid to low 7, we ALSO show them the price tag for DS3, which is VERY LOW. We also show them how SOLID and bug free Onyx is, how flexible it is, AND we show them our amazing toolset. At this point publisher's jaws hit the floor (or the table if seated). When we tell them DS3 went through console certification with ALMOST perfect scores, believe me, they are impressed."

WOW! The hyperbole and self congratutory nature of this quote is mind boggling. Yeha, yeah, I'm sure DS3 made some money and I'm sure theyw ere imrpessed with the 7s for review scores but I seriously doubt theyw ere whooping it up like they just found the holy grail of gaming. It was a small game that was lambasted but still made a little bit of dough but it's no Fo:lV is it? IS IT?

And, them being impressed with the Onyx Engine and its engine is NOT the same as being hip hip hooray over DS3 is it?

Also, how 'low' is 'low'? Is it low comapred to titles like Skyrim? Is it low compared to NHL 12? Is it low comapred to some facebook game? Context matters.

Back on topic, SP RPG definitely has potential. Anyone who thinks otherwise are ignorant, unimaginative fools.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
Back on topic, SP RPG definitely has potential. Anyone who thinks others are ignorant, unimaginative fools.
The question is how to convince these "ignorant, unimaginative fools" aka the publishers to see the truth?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Mangoose said:
Volourn said:
Back on topic, SP RPG definitely has potential. Anyone who thinks others are ignorant, unimaginative fools.
The question is how to convince these "ignorant, unimaginative fools" aka the publishers to see the truth?
SP RPG = South Park RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
The Linkedin only stated when he joined Obsidian. Before that his title was "Senior Artist" or something. It got only updated two months ago. I'd say the project started around New Vegas release.
Not exactly.
Project Director
Obsidian Entertainment

Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry

July 2010 – Present (1 year 6 months) Irvine, CA
He didn't join the company in July 2010 because he created Alpha Protocol's interface (which was released two months earlier). Ergo, that's the date he became project director on SP:RPG.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
IronicNeurotic said:
The Linkedin only stated when he joined Obsidian. Before that his title was "Senior Artist" or something. It got only updated two months ago. I'd say the project started around New Vegas release.
Not exactly.
Project Director
Obsidian Entertainment

He didn't join the company in July 2010 because he created Alpha Protocol's interface (which was released two months earlier). Ergo, that's the date he became project director on SP:RPG.

Yeah, looking it up I was wrong. Anthony already mentioned it before.

Of course, what Virginia was exactly and who worked on it is a mystery.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Face the truth guys,stop daydreaming, we are not talking about underdogs or indie here, Obsidian is a very successful company that obtained an IP for which many publishers are ready to kill for.
And probably this game will earn them more money than all the previous games combined, yes I know, it's a bit of an hyperbole.

Said this:
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Volourn said:
I know some of you guys keep thinking that DS3 was a failure, either because you didn't like it, or because you think over 820k units is a failure.
When we show publishers DS3, including the review scores which were mid to low 7, we ALSO show them the price tag for DS3, which is VERY LOW. We also show them how SOLID and bug free Onyx is, how flexible it is, AND we show them our amazing toolset. At this point publisher's jaws hit the floor (or the table if seated). When we tell them DS3 went through console certification with ALMOST perfect scores, believe me, they are impressed."

WOW! The hyperbole and self congratutory nature of this quote is mind boggling. Yeha, yeah, I'm sure DS3 made some money and I'm sure theyw ere imrpessed with the 7s for review scores but I seriously doubt theyw ere whooping it up like they just found the holy grail of gaming. It was a small game that was lambasted but still made a little bit of dough but it's no Fo:lV is it? IS IT?

And, them being impressed with the Onyx Engine and its engine is NOT the same as being hip hip hooray over DS3 is it?

Also, how 'low' is 'low'? Is it low comapred to titles like Skyrim? Is it low compared to NHL 12? Is it low comapred to some facebook game? Context matters.

Back on topic, SP RPG definitely has potential. Anyone who thinks otherwise are ignorant, unimaginative fools.
Bullshit.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
IronicNeurotic said:
Roguey said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Not exactly.
Project Director
Obsidian Entertainment

Yeah, looking it up I was wrong. Anthony already mentioned it before.

Of course, what Virginia was exactly and who worked on it is a mystery.

Virginia is another Onyx engine based project. I can't say more about it than that. I worked on it, as did several others at Obsidian, but I don't believe I can talk about it.

Just how much overlap between South Park and RPGs can there possibly be? Why not just do a comedy action or adventure game or something? This seems like a terrible mix.

I am basically in agreement with everything VD is saying here (which doesn't happen particularly often), I don't think there is any chance of this being a competent RPG and I certainly wouldn't buy it but I guess that's mostly irrelevant given that I am not a South Park fan. Mixing the RPG component with it certainly isn't going to make me suddenly interested in it, and I do hope they aren't counting on being able to take full advantage of both audiences.

I am sure it will end up a good financial decision for Obsidian, but I can't help but think it's an incredibly desperate attempt to reach out for an IP that really isn't in keeping with their product history.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
People can't into reading. Read the official THQ statement, it refers to SP as a role-playing adventure, not RPG in a traditional sense.
So it's probably some Sam & Max bullshit with some dialog trees thrown in or something. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd prefer a real, meaty game instead of all this adventure bullshit.

1eyedking

Erudite
Star Wars - KotOR II: Total shit.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Total shit.

Mask of the Betrayer: Total shit.

Storm of Zehir: Total shit.

Alpha Protocol: Total shit.

Fallout 3 - New Vegas: Total shit.

Dungeon Siege III: Total shit.

And now a South Park RPG.
:lol:
LOL, just LOL...

What I can't possibly understand BTW is how does Obsidian actually maintain any sense of credibility. I aim at the insanely low standards of their fanbase, but Jesus people can't fall that low..

Seriously though, Obsidian...please fucking die already.

1eyedking

Erudite
Anthony Davis said:
Also, I think a Barbie RPG could have potential. It would at least be something new. Seriously, don't just look at the word BARBIE and rage. Use your mind and your imagination. If I put a gun to your head and said come up with a design for a Barbie RPG that would be fun to play, I bet you could do it.
Holy fuck, this quote is gold!

WHO IN THEIR GODDAMN FUCKING MIND WOULD WANT TO PLAY IN THE WORLD OF BARBIE GODDAMIT?!

For fuck's sake, this whole "Gameplay or death!!!" mentality is totally retarded, people want emotionally engaging games and as such their worlds need to be too and guess fucking what, South Park's and fucking Barbie's ARE NOT (as well as MotB's and New Vegas' for that matter).

I can't for the love of God comprehend how it is that people as creatively stale as this dumbfuck are even hired to make games in the first place.

Shit, whatever, Obsidian makes dead-world games anyway so they're actually perfect for the task of execrating a South Park RPG-adventure abomination.

NewFag

Educated
:hmmm: Not sure how I feel about this. I'm not attached to any particular developer or IP, nor did I believe any actual RPG to be announced anytime soon, but I have to admit that I was caught pretty off guard. Nobody expected this :decline: !

While I'm not certain if this game will be up my alley, it's safe to say this is not going to be a game for the hardcore cRPG fan in any way, shape, or form. This has SLAM DUNK written all over it, moreso than Lionheart, Dark Alliance, or DungSeige ever did.

Judging from the secondhand account of the GameInformer article, the gameplay is going to be something like Paper Mario. I don't mind that style, but it takes a certain skill with design to pull off those mechanics, skills Obsidian probably lacks. They'd need to be able to take a combat system that doesn't have a lot of depth and squeeze the most out of it with well designed encounters, fun "set piece" fights, and a good sense of pacing in the encounter rate. And if you've played Obsidian games you know they fail in these departments. For example, look at often they fill games with loads of trash encounters (every single game), how they make awful messes of boss fights (Alpha Protocol being the most obvious offender, though KOTOR 2 does a bang up job...of being terrible in this department), and they really never provide much in the way of memorable, unique, encounters (though, to be fair, J.E. Sawyer's work in Icewind Dale 2 produced some great ones...and some TERRIBAD ones too. If he's working on SPRPG, and it isn't in shitastic Bethesda-enforced design constraints, it *might* have a chance). And if you don't like the Paper Mario style of simple, action-command-driven combat (this is probably 70%, easy, of the Codex), you'll probably hate the game.

Don't expect much in the way of deconstruction of the RPG genre either. Well, at least not the ones "we" tend to think of. Have a look at some of these statements:

-Parker has always preferred silent protagonists in RPG's, so the player’s character will be silent.

-Parker hates unskippable cutscenes.

-The humor will be more focus on the games they have played in the past but Parker mentions that games have lampooned other games before so they don't want to do exactly that instead they are focusing more on RPG's on how big and bombastic they can get sometimes.

-There is a Summon System but they are not able to talk about it. {Ed: Probably refers to summons-as-huge-animated-attacks a la Final Fantasy games}

It seems that RPG, to Parker and Stone, isn't Wizardy/Ultima/Fallout/BG, but jRPGs and newer stuff like WoW, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Or at least that's what their fanbase (the South Park one) thinks of when they think RPGs. So don't expect anything close to Torment in terms of deconstruction of RPGs, expect something more along the lines of every GameFAGs, IGN, or blog with a TOP TEN LIST OF BIGGEST RPG CLICHES which draws mostly from jRPGs.

Bottom line, this one probably ain't for "us".

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Well, I'll be the smuggest motherfucker in the codex when the game comes out and theres several threads about how good it is and how much codexers love it.

:smug:

@Also ERM Read Anthony Davis posts for fucks sake. I already asked him about how much Obsidian is involved in the project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom