Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Work in progress - Tavern

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Needs some soil erosion. Them tables better have schedules, too.

How is the floor texture implemented: one big texture map wrapped around the floor polygon, or one single texture map applied to several polygons? I'm only asking this because it seems it would be better to display texture in a less formulaic way, make it look more natural when it comes to the positioning of the wood planks (something more natural like this or this).

Looking nice :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
RP is right about the floor. A look at he first shot alone makes it clear what's wrong with the floor. That's a nasty regular pattern.

You should also fill the empty space in the middle with (a) table(s).

I also wonder if the fireplace doesn't look too modern.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Without even having looked at the images, I can safely say it needs more whores...

...ok ok wenches are acceptable whore substitutes.

Reminds me a bit of NWN for some reason. I guess that's kind of an evil thing to say, isn't it? It seems a bit small, too, how does it stay in business if the townies don't frequent it and it's not on a heavily travelled route (read needs more than 3 tables and some stools for peak hours)? Why is the kitchen presumably upstairs? At least if it had a basement it could take advantage of some sort of natural refrigeration or some such. As it is it's just pointless hassle for the employees. Why is the bar flush against the wall with no counter? If they don't have a kitchen because they just serve booze to a few people who straggle in then it looks doubly unprofitable except maybe as some sort of front business for an assassin, smuggler, etc.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Like I said in another post, RPGs deal with concepts. Presenting a realistic, fully functioning tavern is as pointless, as presenting a real city with thousands (at least) people, houses for all of them, places of employment, etc.

Same here. It's a small tavern in a small town. It has a bar area, a fireplace, some seats, and an upstairs area. More than I need for story/quests purposes.

It doesn't have to look overtly fake when all it takes is a few extra (repeating if necessary) pixels, though. More floor space, a few more tables, boom. It doesn't have to have 50 townsfolk and random travelers in it whenever you come in at sunset who all go home or get a room at scheduled times, but it wouldn't hurt to be decent sized and just look a bit empty when you come in. As it is it just reminds me of some guy's parlor who likes to entertain guests.

Stark

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
Reminds me a bit of NWN for some reason.

same here.

never the less the graphics are certainly good enough for me. it is something i will shell out money for.

Do you plan to create some ambience background noise/music? it would do wonders to improve the overall atmosphere.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Stark said:
Do you plan to create some ambience background noise/music? it would do wonders to improve the overall atmosphere.
Yes. It will be done.

Walks said:
As it is it just reminds me of some guy's parlor who likes to entertain guests.
That's pretty much what it used to be though - an average house turned into a tavern. (explained in the game, fits the town theme). Taverns in other towns are different, in size and style.

Btw, it does have a counter (see the last shot)

spacemoose

Erudite
How will the fire look? I think that if you can manage colored lighting from the fire, it would be pretty sweet. Not that it would be a major point. But we are discussing the looks of the tavern not the characters that may be inside it.

Edit: What I mean is, I expect the tavern to be pretty dark inside, with the atmosphere being set up by the fire of the hearth. That may not be accurate for all taverns, but that's what I've come to expect from taverns in games.

Right now it looks very bright and lacking fire. Yes fire would make everything better. Fire.

Atrokkus

Erudite
There is no use criticizing the graphical aspect. Since the game can't be possibly made totally lifelike and flashy, there is no need to try, it would be best if the textual aspect was much higher and compensating for the lack of visuals.

You remember Torment? Well, just like BG2, it had some very detailed and beautiful scenery and landscapes, so it wasn't even required to describe them verbally. However, if you look at the NPCs, you notice that they are very undetailed visually, most of them use the same model for different personalities, you couldn't see faces etc. But did it spoil the immersion, the roloeplaying experience? Not a bit. The verbal aspect filled the gap perfectly.

Thus, you just need to add a lot of descriptions to it, make the player use his imagination for what he can't clearly see on the screen.

Right now it looks very bright and lacking fire. Yes fire would make everything better. Fire.
Don't you know? The tavern has electrical bulbs on the ceiling! And the fans, too!

android

Novice
It doesn't look bad, here are some thoughts from graphics perspective:

- Don't use default Max textures, you can find some good ones here http://www.mayang.com/textures/ or you can find more links on CGTalk
- Textures need more dirt and signs of use and also normal maps (if your engine supports them or if you want them)
- The scale of the stones on the wall is probably wrong
- The screenshots would look much better with objects casting shadows

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Looks servicable, except for the fireplace, that needs a more natural stone texture and some blackening, to look a bit moody. Some stains on tables and floor would go a long way, too.

Jed

Cipher
...and the slippery slope of allocation of resources away from gameplay to putting stains on the tables has surely begun.

Section8

Cipher
[graphics whore]

As it has been pointed out already, the contrast in floorboards is way overdone, and so the repetition is obvious. Bland is better, and you can make up for it with individual objects for flavour and variety instead.

The wood texture on everything but the floor is a bit overwhelming. It's everywhere. It may be a bit beyond your means, but it would be nice to see the furniture UVW unwrapped and individually textured, the upright supports on the tables and pews particularly.

And more wear and tear on things too, the fireplace especially.

[/graphics whore]

But really, that's perfectly passable. It's clear on first glance what the building is supposed to be, and as a gameplay space I'd assume it's functional for the purpose a tavern would typically have, ie social interaction. I'd be inclined to sign off on it, and leave the micro details like eating utensils, etc. to the Elder Scrolls. :roll:

Stark

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:

yeah.

I know it's a small tavern. but for larger taverns you may want to add a small stage for a bard to perform on.(just for ambience)

RGE

Liturgist
I too am reminded of NWN, but not in a bad way. I'd like to lobby against counters in taverns though, because I think I read somewhere that they're a quite modern invention. As in too modern to really fit medieval times. But perhaps they are needed for modern people to recognise the building as a tavern or bar? :?

mEtaLL1x said:
And some nekkid waitresses, please.

As a serious question: will there be mature themes featured, like boneing prostitutes and sheep? And the language, should we expect heavy cursing and dirrrty-talk?
Or ar you aiming for a pg13-rating :wink:

To give you some commendation: the game is looking truly awesome! Ive read the entire backlog on this forum, and I must say Im really impressed. There is not a single game Im looking more forward to buy at the moment! :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dementia Praecox said:
As a serious question: will there be mature themes featured, like boneing prostitutes and sheep? And the language, should we expect heavy cursing and dirrrty-talk? Or ar you aiming for a pg13-rating :wink:
I didn't aim for anything in particular, although there is no cursing. There are what I consider mature themes though.

To give you some commendation: the game is looking truly awesome! Ive read the entire backlog on this forum, and I must say Im really impressed. There is not a single game Im looking more forward to buy at the moment! :D
Thanks. Hope you won't be disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom