Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO - Aftershock : Victory!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cracking a walnut.

I asked for bumps, and lo, did I receive! :salute:
The time has come to launch our spaceship and assault the wargot mothership, or as I have called it thus far, and will during this update, the Giant Space Walnut.
Our own spaceship has been meticulously crafted based on the design of the wargot probe that attacked the Laputa when the Giant Space Walnut arrived.

It has 2 engines, a control module, 4 living modules and 4 storage modules, as we've built it as large as the game allows.

Before we give the order to launch and assault the mothership, let's take a look at the current roster. Everyone will be on the spaceship assaulting the Giant Space Walnut, and left to defend the Laputa is three drones.

First up is Storyfag. Veteran of 62 battles, 91 enemies killed. Deadly with his katana, and even deadlier with his plasma shotgun. The katana is primarily used for quickly disposing of squishies (reticulans and unarmoured cultists) and the shotgun is for dealing with armoured targets and Starghosts. He's our front-line man, with extremely good close range skill and speed. :salute:

Next up is Gondolin. 81 missions attended, 114 enemies killed. :salute: Always deadly with his machinegun, and he packs a warp rifle for backup. In later missions, he will also be using the warp resonator, as he's one of the two members of our A-team that is qualified to use it.

dextermorg. 61 missions attended, 122 enemies killed. An impressive two kills per mission! :salute: He's our second heavy weapons guy, and he's also trained to third tier leader skill. He has the highest health-total of all our troops. This coupled with heavy armour and good Psi skill means he's the tank that just doesn't go down in combat.

chzr. 59 missions attended, 84 enemies killed. Quite deadly as a sniper, very useful to have around as a medic. Also carrying a warp rifle as backup, though it has yet to see use. Sniper rifles continue to be useful. :salute: The blue shimmering field is because her suit of armour is fitted with a personal shield, increasing it's resistance to energy based attacks in particular. The funky looking white helm protects her from psionic attacks.

korenzel, our primary medic. 87 missions attended, 144 kills. Notice her stealth and observation skills.. She spots them long before they even have an inkling she's there, and her having a sniper rifle, the enemies rarely make it within firing distance. She's only been injured by opposing snipers, and since she's always accompanied by at least one other sniper (I always move my snipers in teams, since they tend to be a bit on the squishy side), she's never been in real danger of dying. :salute:

Bee. 72 missions, 98 kills. I'm a bit surprised by this low number actually. Her long range and observation skills are both super heroic +1, so I had expected a higher kill ratio for her. But she's always on the team, as her psionic sense often lets her spot enemies from very far away, often through walls. Highly useful, and she's fitted with the vivid image circlet, which can cause panic in enemies that get wounded within her line of sight. :salute:

Anus. The first in our team to reach sniper training tier 3. 71 missions, 118 enemies killed. Deadly. Not much more to say really. :salute:

JoKa, who is just finishing up on scout training. He's lagging behind Storyfag in usefulness because of his lower speed, but he's been issued with a warp-rifle, meaning that he's deadly from across the map, whereas Storyfag needs to get close and personal.
Cyborgs just make better in-your-face killers the way I play, it seems. JoKa's service record is impressive though, to say the least. 100 missions attended, and 164 enemies killed! :salute:

Commissar. 25 missions, 32 enemies killed. A late-comer, he hasn't seen as much use, as I've been showering most of attention on the top-performers to make them even more invincible. Despite of this, the Commissar is still highly useful due to his speed. I've fitted his helmet with low-light vision system, most other humans got the infra-vision mode instead. Haven't determined yet which I find most useful, probably the latter. Commissar has led a high number of civilians to safety. :salute: He hopes to spend more time killing squishies, a wish I hope to grant.

Cassidy, our sniper/commando cyborg. 30 missions attended, 29 kills. How did this happen with his high long range skill? I don't know. He's a good auxilliary sniper, but not part of the core team. :salute:

Sergiu64. 9 missions, 2 kills. I've hardly used you Sergiu64, sorry about that. The other troops just leapt ahead of you experience wise, and I guess you got desk-duty. :salute:

Phoenix. 31 missions, 13 kills. Not impressive. She's got the life drain/life sink combo, so the damage she deals goes towards healing nearby allies. Too bad dual-wielding just doesn't seem such a good idea late-game. She's our backup psionic. :salute:

EdwardRM, another dual-wielder who could've gone down the melee route, had he received more attention. 20 missions, 9 kills. He seems to have suffered the same fate as Sergiu64. :salute:

Desmodus! Our primary dual-wielder. 53 missions, 53 kills. His primary weapons are desert eagles, and he's carrying reticulan blasters for stunning foes on capture missions. I tend to prefer shotguns and blades for close quarters work, otherwise he'd have gotten more attention. :salute:

K. Slips. 8 missions, 3 kills. Sorry about that bro. At least you've never taken any wounds. :salute:

And finally Claus. Our cyborg heavy gunner. 18 missions, 29 kills. Seems you're more deadly when you're using a machine gun. :smug: Even though he's only level 11, he's managed to finish up his training. And he's quite useful for when I need a substitute machine gunner. :salute:
Alright, back to the spaceship, we click the 'assault mothership' button and a cinematic plays. I tried to find it on youtube but failed, so here's a series of screenshots.

There, we're now on the Giant Space Walnut, and the fun can begin! :smug: Immediately, we get a mission popup.

Kill them all. Sounds straightforward enough. :salute:

The environment is understandably quite different from the planet-side maps we've been playing so far.

Plenty of open spaces, interspersed with short sections of close-quarters. So I alternate between establishing a firing line with snipers, and running Storyfag, Gondolin and dextermorg up close and personal. The mission is quite easy, due to Storyfags insane speed, and the wargot weapons being slow to bring to bear. He just runs up and kills people before they can react. :salute:
After this first mission, our objectices on the Giant Space Walnut are clarified.

Lucky for us that the Giant Space Walnut seems to have been constructed with a fatal, easy to take advantage of, structural flaw. :decline:
Our next mission description reads something about "a disturbance up ahead", the objective is still kill them all though. Guess what we spot?

Starghosts! Who would've guessed? The fun part about these missions however is that the Starghosts and Wargots are battling eachother, so this map is more or less about clearing up the stragglers. :incline: The rooms are all quite similar, and the missions get rather repetetive, yet due to Storyfags insane speed, finishing a map can be done in about 5 minutes time. :smug:

Many of those wargot power suits that are visible are just stationary objects and can be safely ignored. This would've been much harder if all those power suits had been active..
Soon, we've progressed long enough into the Giant Space Walnut to initiate the true objective missions.

Kill the thing marked by the red ring? Sounds simple enough, and indeed it is. I use the warp resonator for this, to conserve ammo, and one shot is all it takes for each strand. :salute:

No more missions are available on the Giant Space Walnut, but a new button appeared. :twisted: We press it.

Wah wah wah, whiner... :rpgcodex: We are treated with yet a cinematic, that I couldn't find on youtube, so here's the fragmented screenshot-version.

Hm, seems we really ... cracked that nut.. :yeah:
Our researcher seems very pleased.

Err.. :what: Right. They tamed a Giant Space Walnut and rode it here? I guess the plot cannot get more silly - or can it? :M
We've killed the Walnut, so now everything should be fine and dandy, we can kick back and relax and ...

:rage: Guess we're not quite done yet..

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
K. Slips. 8 missions, 3 kills. Sorry about that bro. At least you've never taken any wounds. Salute

Nah, man, you may see an underachiever compared to the rest of the squad, but I see a man who has overcome his pansy-assed upbringing and brought justice to three xenos without a scratch! I'm glad to do whatever duty for the glory of man-kind! :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This update will be heavy on flapping lips and story exposition, but light on actual combat. That does not mean the team did not see plenty of action. What it means is that the team did see plenty of repetetive, but experience laden action. I just couldn't be arsed to take screenshot of the same type of mission times 20.
Anyway, in this update we get a delightful dose of exposition, and experience the joy of being called "intrepid natives"! :roll:

First off, after a couple of days of doing one defense mission after another, we get a cutscene.

Well, they certainly sound friendly.. I hope we can explain this to them, so we don't have yet another enemy to fight.
We have to wait for a few more days still, before we manage to make contact.

So.. The mighty reticulans require the help of us, the "intrepid natives". Well well well. :rpgcodex: To be honest though, what should they call us? We are the ones native to this rock, and we have shown ourselves to be rather intrepid. Should we take it as a compliment?
However we decide to feel about it, helping these grays who actually talk to us instead of just starting by killing off our planet deliberately might be a good idea.
Before we get to do that though, our main researcher breaks in with news.

Ah, so this is the vessel the Starghosts are using, eh? They sure do have a handy teleportation system, since they manage to deploy troops both on the surface of the planet, and in the wargots' Giant Space Walnut from across our solar system, through our star..
Inconsistency or not, it's a threat we need to deal with, or our entire planet will be painted yellow and I do not particularly enjoy that colour.

They've already painted India, and that territory is permanently lost to us. :salute:
Soon we receive our first mission to stop this curry-painting from spreading.

Fortunately the Pillars of Death are stationary, and their attack, while being an area of effect weapon centered on the pillar, is rather unimpressive. They can easily be taken down by concentrated sniper fire.
We collect the remains of such a pillar and have our researchers poke at it.

These pillars seem curiously related to the biomass seeding that took place in Aftermath. I wonder what the connection is?
We're not given much time to wonder in however, as the reticulans who came to spank the evildoers from Aftermath now require our assistance.

This rescue mission is quite easy actually. It consists of two maps, where you can afford to ignore the opposition and run straight for the green-coloured objective area.

It's supposed to depict the crashed flagships exterior and interior. When we reach the objective area in map #2, the mission ends as a succes, and a gray talks to us.

Again with the "intrepid natives" thing. And it seems to consider the Laputa their station, not ours. :troll:
At least our PR guy, our head researcher, and, what, our quartermaster? They all seem rather pleased with our decision to help the reticulans (note, you're not actually given a choice, you're railroaded into saving the reticulan admiral.. :decline: )

He must be really happy, the quartermaster, for we soon get treated to another cutscene involving him.

Say what now? :what: Whatever the cultists are drinking, it seems this guy took a healthy sip himself..
We won't bow to a lunatic however, and happily, we discover that it's only scientists and other easily replaceable personnel that's gone bonkers.

If they'd manage to turn our soldiers against us, now that'd been a proper trolling. As it is, the troops we have to fight are barely worth mentioning.
It seems our head researcher was not amongst the insurgents, and she soon has some new info for us, as we've completed the research option that was unlocked after we saved the reticulan admiral.

So... One of the reticulan colonies decided to suddenly abandon all sense, break away from the hivemind to conduct a planet-size experiment, and our little rock of a planet just happened to have the bad luck of being chosen for the site of this? We're not pleased. :rpgcodex:
Our next finished research project pertains to the second Giant Space Walnut that the Starghosts seem to be arriving in.

I don't think we're getting the full picture just yet..
We have the researchers take another look at what we know of the Starghosts, including this Pillar of Death technology they're employing.

Are your divining rods starting to bend too? I feel we're getting closer to understanding, and finishing this ordeal finally. The latest research project seems to confirm this feeling.

Will we see the end of the conflict soon? Maybe on Earth, but we've barely begun on Mars..
We should probably also try to reach a new page before I post what just might be the last update in this LP.. :smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azira said:
Bee. 72 missions, 98 kills. I'm a bit surprised by this low number actually. Her long range and observation skills are both super heroic +1, so I had expected a higher kill ratio for her. But she's always on the team, as her psionic sense often lets her spot enemies from very far away, often through walls. Highly useful, and she's fitted with the vivid image circlet, which can cause panic in enemies that get wounded within her line of sight. :salute:

:love:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I just completed the game. :smug: I've got the screenshots I want, now I'll go to bed, dreaming about a new page to post the conclusion to this LP on. M:

Drakron

Arcane
Is it me or does the reticulans sound like Codexers?

... Never forget ... well played ...

korenzel

Educated
Is there a way to speed up Laputa research ? You need to wait six days and apparently have nothing else to research, nothing to produce, nothing to capture. Missions seem to pop up very frequently, at least once every couple hours, did the normal difficulty work as you thought it would by reducing the intensity of the attacks on your territories ? I hope so.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thank you everyone, for taking this to page 12! :salute:
@korenzel
No, no way to speed up Laputa research as far as I can tell. And in this case, it was even worse, as the research took longer than the projected 6 days and 20 hours. I experienced between 1 and 3 defense missions about every 6 hours. It could've been much worse, and IIRC, the normal difficulty setting did indeed lower the rater of encouters. And yes, with nothing to research or produce, just waiting around with attacks popping up all over the globe wasn't very thrilling.. I did consider just ignoring the missions and let territories fall everywhere, but did the Right Thing, and took each and every defense mission...
Anyway, it was not in vain, for now I can bring you the conclusion to this second game in the UFO After- series!
We'd started the research project which promised to connect the dots, so to speak. And now it's concluded and our head researcher has asked for our attention:

:what: Oh-kay.. So we're the victim of horny Giant Space Walnuts wanting to mate or what?
Our researcher now explains with a diagram, I've tried to capture the essence by showing you a row of pictures that run past as she speaks the next piece.

So. The way I understand this, on the reticulan rebel colony, they had a femal Giant Space Walnut who wanted to get groovy, but they knew the rest of the reticulans would never allow this, so they packed up and relocated to our little backwater planet. Here, they did their thing, and apparently the psionic control was so great that they trolled us into accepting the offer to relocate to the Laputas. At least that's what I imagine the explanation to be for the Council of Earth to accept the reticulan offer. :rpgcodex:

Go to the moon, kill the female Giant Space Walnut, and the horny males (I assume more would be coming, no way to find out though) will go away. Got it! :salute: We're about to cock-block a Giant Space Walnut! :bro:

A new button appears on the Geospace, and we click on "Moon Mission". This time we only get to bring along a team of 7, and here they are. The brave few who will save our planet once and for all. I hope.. :salute:

Storyfag, resident cyborg, a mean sword-wielding killing machine. He's taken a grand total of 5592 damage during his service, due to always being in the frontline. :salute:

JoKa, as highly trained as Storyfag, but lacking his superhuman speed due to not having prostethics, he is instead indispensible for his accuracy with the warp rifle. Even though it is slow firing, its damage output makes up for this. :salute:

Gondolin, machinegunner extraordinaire. Lugging around a warp resonater which will be very useful in this final mission. :salute:

dextermorg, our leader for this mission. Also in heavy armour, armed with machinegun, warp rifle and warp resonator. He will stick to the machinegun though. :salute:

chzr, deadly sniper part-timing as a medic. Her medical expertise turned out not to be necessary though, but better to err on the side of caution. :salute:

korenzel, our primary medic, also a sniper. She did use the warp medikit in this mission, as some of the last mobs had a nasty poison attack. Had she not been around, not all seven would have seen the mission to its conclusion. :salute:

And finally Bee. Deadly sniper, extraordinaire psionic. The most experienced trooper in the team. She spots enemies whole maps away, even through walls. This ability is so useful, you have no idea. :salute:

The final mission is a three-parter. The only one in this game. First, we land on the moon and need to get to the entrance to the moonbase that this game assumes we did not already destroy in Aftermath. :troll:

That part is easy. Only encountered 2 reticulans which were no threat.
Next part sees us killing the three bloated worm-like things which were the final objective in Aftermath. Good thing we brought a warp resonator, as the worms turned out to be damage sponges..

Once the worms are dead, we're transported to a new area of twisting tunnels, and large, pulsating purple field at the end.

Here we see the same odd looking octopus-like enemies we encountered in the non-canon ending of Aftermath. There they were walled Transgenants and were a pain due to their highly efficient melee attacks and near-complete immunity to damage.
In Aftershock, they are slightly more squishy, but still pack a heck of a melee punch and now also have a short range paralyzing attack. And their melee attacks inflict poison.. This is where korenzel saved Storyfags bacon. :salute:

The twisting passages leads to a large room with this purple billowing wall. Seems there's a kind of tube-thing leading into the purple mass, and our objective is to reach this tube with as many soldiers as possible. In reality, we only need to reach it with a single trooper, but it's heavily guarded, so it's a good idea to bring the whole group.

Once we reach the green objective area, we're treated to the final cutscene.
The audio seems to've been lost in this video. In general it says that the threat to Earth has ended, that we've discovered there are aliens out there, some might be friendly, some are not, and that we'll eventually discover faster-than-light travel and go out amongst the stars.
nike.jpg

Yay us! We saved the Earth! (again) But what about our fledgling colony, Mars? That's up next.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:bravo:

Azira said:
So we're the victim of horny Giant Space Walnuts wanting to mate or what?

:P

Azira said:
And finally Bee. Deadly sniper, extraordinaire psionic. The most experienced trooper in the team. She spots enemies whole maps away, even through walls. This ability is so useful, you have no idea. :salute:

:salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Many thanks everyone! :salute: Your comments are much appreciated. :love: Now I just need to put the same amount of effort into Afterlight as I did Aftermath and Aftershock combined, if my memory serves..
I'll complete it this time though, now I have you guys to do it for. M:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom