Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]Wulfen's Chronicles

Kz3r0

Arcane
Time to go Next Gen Codex, let me bring you an AWESOME LP for all your exxxtreme needs, lots of action, buttsecks err... I mean, astounding romances, an epic tale of courage and betrayal that will decide the fate of the Universe and more.
Players will have total freedom of action and their choices will determine the major events in game, make your way with blazing guns or go close up and personal with non-stop collargrabbing bonanza, or just blow everything up.
The mature dialogues will allow you to engage in profound and meaningful altercations with swearing, cursing and profanities, but don't forget the romantic option.
I can guarantee that the writing will be on par with the Biowhore productions, or below.
Get ready!!!!!

Index:
Chapter 1
Treason and Glory
0 ARRIVAL.
0a Landing.
I War Council.
Ia Tale of two warriors.
Ib In War and Peace.
Ic Pride and Loyalty.

II Unlikely Guests.
IIa Cold Warrior.

III Stick to your guns.
IIIa A Commander' secrets.
IIIb Mass Effect.

eXXXtra-Gray Mist.

IV Rapacious Skies.

V Hard Rain
Va The Fangs of the Wolf.
Vb A Quiet Man.
Vc Stand Strong.

VI Duty and Beliefs.
VIa Ghost of a ghost.
VIb Bifurcation.

VII Unlikely Allies.
VIIa One's Firmness.

VIII Ravenous.
VIIIa Dark Wings.
VIIIb Onyx and Emerald.

IX Silent Echo.
IXa Hesitation.
IXb Patience.
IXc Urgency.
IXd Cuspid.

X Burning Bright.
Xa Before The Chase.
Xb Net & Trident
Xc At the Shadow of Thousand Blades of Light
Xd The Shadow in the Darkness
Xe Jonah's Return

XI Dark Fire

XII Crucible

XIII Gamma Protocol

XIV Blind Shadows

XV Hornets' Flights

XVI Suspension
XVIa Synthesis
XVIb Dormancy

Kz3r0' s Considerations
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Interlude
I De Humanitatis
II Principia
III Obscura
IV MATRIX

Chapter 2...

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
ARRIVAL

The astrocraft of the Wulfen Militia, known as the wanderers, entered Thaneran IV's orbit, home of the Green Company Headquarters.
Created to defend human settlements from alien threats, what was once a loose alliance of voluntary local militias now had become a semi-permanent army, more integrated by the day.
Its commanders, however, were still elected by the troops recruited in the various sectors as by tradition.
For the third time in history a general convocation of all Militia Commanders was issued.
The first time was when the company was formally established, the second when the Xanaghars were annihilated, after almost succeeding in enslaving humanity forever, and now, with the fight against the Jehnizars dragging on.
The astrocraft, completed the orbital maneuvers, asked for the landing permission of a glider, receiving authorization.

Commander Lupus Wulfen silently begun his descent on the planetary surface.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Landing

The glider safely landed after spiraling through the atmosphere to reduce attrition.
A transport was ready to take Commander Wulfen from the astrodrome to the Green Company central headquarter.

Get ready for an early release.

Kz3r0

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
All my votes will be for bloodshed and mayhem. You better deliver.
By the fourth update expect an epic battle with thousands of deaths. :salute:

Esquilax

Arcane
Kz3r0, please space out your paragraphs. All that text bunched up together can be kinda messy and a pain to read.

Kz3r0

Arcane
War Council

Lupus Wulfen walked down the long corridors of the facility,arriving in front of the doors of the tactical room .
All sector commanders were present, clad in their emerald tactical armors.

"All right gentlemen", said Karl Chas, the Appointed Battle Marshall.

"I issued this general convocation because finally we could have the possibility to deliver a fatal blow to Enemy forces".
"We have been informed that they are planning an attack en-mass against our outpost in the Karhyen sector.

I don't need to remind you its strategic importance, in fact, if they succeed they could constantly menace our military and trading routes, with the added bonus to acquire a mine of xeno-artifacts, and that alone could be decisive, until now our facility there provided us with invaluable military technology and improvements in space travel as you know."

"But why now?", asked Thurian Kar, a short but sturdy built commander from one of the outer sectors.
"It's one of our most fortified compounds, with regular astropatrols crossing there , they already tried many times and after much losses resorted to quick raids, more for the sake of causing troubles than anything else."

"We believe that their primary objective is to force us to recognize their territorial gains and sign some kind of collaboration agreement."
Said in an embarrassed tone the Marshall.

"The Directorate will never allow that."
Shouted an incredulous Georian Sthar, his entire family was killed in the first wave of attacks in the fringe sector, now almost completely occupied by the enemy, he and other survivors formed the Defiant Militia, all battle hardened veterans.

"It must be some political non-sense from the Representativity." said a tall figure with hawkish facial features, and long,jet black, hair.
Commander Velhar "The Raven" Kraszyek stepped up in the center of the room.

"The Directorate should have already take this kind of matters in his hands once and for all, and not let incompetents and defeatists expanding their control over the Human Commonwealth to the point to appease an enemy."

The reference to the former name of what was now the more neutral Federal Commonwealth didn't pass unnoticed, with its obvious implications, many still used the old name, but how it was purposefully used left no doubt about the 'Raven' intentions.

"You are just preaching a full fledged military dictatorship Kraszyek, and this is not what the Green Company, a free association of free men, was ever about."

The Commander who had spoken was George Gragg a bulky man with red hair and freckles, that gave him a child-like appearance, many were mislead by this at their major regret.

"Oh really?"
Said with a smirk the 'Raven' ".

"Isn't this what we have been until now in fact?Seems to me that worked perfectly without any need for bureaucrats or to incorporate extraneous elements."

"There's something you want to tell us 'Raven'?"

Dorian Ten-Har advanced to face Kraszyek, taller than him of the whole head, with a crest of spiked, light brown,hair,blue and red stripes covered his face, commander of the Aurian sector, one of the first zones to be colonized and where humans and aliens intermingled, mostly for survival reasons, something that many of the far reaching sectors have done, especially in the beginning.

But with the expansion of the original Commonwealth ,and the strengthening of Humans, troubles were brewing, associating weaker alien races that sought the Commonwealth protection, as separate semi-autonomous administrations, was widely accepted, but to have them as equal allies, or worst, citizens, was something that encountered a staunch resistance, particularly from the original human sectors, from which Kraszyek came.

The Marshall intervened.
"I understand that many of you encountered each other only today, and that you are worried for what can happen in your sectors in your absence, but don't let the distance of space become the distance between us, this was one of the reasons why the Green Company was found, to unite what was divided by the most hostile of environments."

And after a moment added.
"And to be part of this unity the only requirement was to be willing to protect and accept everyone who recognized Human values."

The atmosphere become even more tense after this words, when Norian Dhen raised his voice, with his gray hair and beard he was the most respected Commander.
"What's this?A reunion of the representativity?"
A sonorous laughter from the emerald crowd was the well expected result.
"We have a war to win, after that we could discuss everything you want in the proper manner, especially how y'all can go fuck themselves."
Another laughter indicated that the tension eased up enough for the Marshall to continue.

"This is the strategy we devised and the appointed forces to carry it out, with the designed field commanders, when the enemy will attack the Karhyen sector, our defenses there will engage them long enough to confirm the scale of the attack, then Commander Dhen, stationed nearby, will launch his assault with the support of Commander Sthar and his Defiant Militia in a pincher-like maneuver to prevent enemy forces from receiving possible reinforcements and cut-off any retreat."

"Meanwhile Commander Zhenar Xhan will guide our best and newest battle cruisers deep inside enemy territory to deal a decisive blow to their positions inside the Fringe sector, and hopefully annihilate their principal military facility in the Theresian Quadrant."

All the eyes pointed towards the slender figure of Zhenar Xhan, he was seen more as a politician for his close ties to the representativity than a proper commander, and many thought that that was the reason why he obtained the command of the first batch of astrocrafts produced by the collaboration of the unified civilian administration and the xeno-techology research center of the Green Company.

"To avoid possible surprises", continued the Marshall," and guarantee us against the possibility that this is a trap, Commander Gragg will preside the border region of the outer sectors ready to intervene if requested."
"While, Commander Kraszyek will guard the central sectors , his astrocrafts, however, even if heavily armed are not fast enough for providing support if needed, so his role will be mostly defensive."

"The rest of the details will be discussed by the mentioned Commanders with the other militias, as you surely know the adherence to a battle group is voluntary, under certain conditions, so feel free to apply for the battle group that you think needs your help the most, this is especially true for militias not sector based and with great versatility, like Commander Wulfen militia."

This time was the turn of Lupus Wulfen of having all the eyes pointed towards him, his ferocity and recklessness already legendary, military instinct at almost genius levels for some, dumb luck for others.

"But before that, as is customary, let's vote to confirm the Marshall position of this campaign and in doing so approving or rejecting the proposed Battle-plan."

The appointed Field Commanders Norian Dhen, Zhenar Xhan, George Gragg and Velhar Kraszyek voted first , as by tradition, all confirming Karl Chas as Battle Marshall.
But then a sort of uneasiness manifested itself, with the vote proceeding very slowly.
Many seemed to doubt the Marshall leadership, but unwilling to manifest it openly.

Time for Wulfen to act:

A)Use your privilege for openly contest Karl Chas leadership and propose Georian Sthar as Marshall.
We need strong and motivated leaders that are not timid in waging war.

B)Openly show your support for Karl Chas, quarreling at the vigil of an important battle would be suicide.

C)Fuck this shit, just vote and fuck off, the enemy isn't going to be killed by itself.

Gondolin

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
By the fourth update expect an epic battle with thousands of deaths. :salute:

I see the epic battle with English spelling has already begun. Judging by the first casualties, this is going to be a tough one.

Esquilax

Arcane
Kz3r0, props for being brave enough to do something like this on a community of jackals like the Codex, but really, this needs a lot of work. You mentioned before that English is your second language, so I understand how difficult it can be to write in a language that you aren't accustomed to. But nevertheless, Gondolin is correct (though a bit more blunt than I would be).

First of all, I don't know any of the background here. Why should I give a shit about the situation; who are all these people? What's the setting? What are these planetary "sectors" and who is the PC fighting against and why? There's no context to any of this, so it gives very little motivation for the reader. You've given me no reason to care right now.

Because of that lack of context, it's pretty much impossible to distinguish one guy from another. I can't recall a single name from the passage I just read a few minutes ago because most every person that's been introduced is an EXTREME bro of some kind - nobody has any personality. I can't name a distinguishing characteristic about a single person that you've mentioned so far. It doesn't help that you've introduced a lot of people, so it makes it all the more difficult to have them stand out.

This thing desperately needs some proofreading. Representivity? No such word exists. The lines of dialogue or so tightly bunched together that it's a complete mess to read - you need to add an extra space between your paragraphs, otherwise it's going to be an eyesore. Also, there are a few occasions where you don't space after your commas.

Anyways, if you want to do this right, I would suggest an Intro update that gives us the background of the story you're trying to tell. It wouldn't hurt to also provide a description of the various characters that the PC knows, so that they're more than just a name when the reader is introduced to them.

Anyways, good luck, man.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Kz3r0, props for being brave enough to do something like this on a community of jackals like the Codex, but really, this needs a lot of work. You mentioned before that English is your second language, so I understand how difficult it can be to write in a language that you aren't accustomed to. But nevertheless, Gondolin is correct (though a bit more blunt than I would be).
This is a way to improve my English too.

Esquilax said:
First of all, I don't know any of the background here. Why should I give a shit about the situation; who are all these people? What's the setting? What are these planetary "sectors" and who is the PC fighting against and why? There's no context to any of this, so it gives very little motivation for the reader. You've given me no reason to care right now.
It's a narrative choice, revealing what's happening and the various characters as the game progress.
It's also more quick this way, especially considering that many characters will be seen for only an update

Esquilax said:
Because of that lack of context, it's pretty much impossible to distinguish one guy from another. I can't recall a single name from the passage I just read a few minutes ago because most every person that's been introduced is an EXTREME bro of some kind - nobody has any personality. I can't name a distinguishing characteristic about a single person that you've mentioned so far. It doesn't help that you've introduced a lot of people, so it makes it all the more difficult to have them stand out.
I am just bad in making names.
However, I have used the extreme characterization to make clear their position from the beginning, because you are going to choose with whom your militia will operate in the next update.

Esquilax said:
This thing desperately needs some proofreading. Representivity? No such word exists.
I know, it's just a fancy word used to describe the embryonic democratic institute in the game world.
It's not the only one I have used.

Esquilax said:
The lines of dialogue or so tightly bunched together that it's a complete mess to read - you need to add an extra space between your paragraphs, otherwise it's going to be an eyesore. Also, there are a few occasions where you don't space after your commas.
I will try to improve that.

Esquilax said:
Anyways, if you want to do this right, I would suggest an Intro update that gives us the background of the story you're trying to tell. It wouldn't hurt to also provide a description of the various characters that the PC knows, so that they're more than just a name when the reader is introduced to them.
Actually this is the introduction of Wulfen, after this many other characters will be introduced that will form your future crew.
And I am trying to let the players shape the character as they like, must be quite clear that choosing to collaborate with Kraszyek it's not the same that to choose to collaborate with Zhenar Xhan.

Esquilax said:
Anyways, good luck, man.
Thanks.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Thanks to Bee and Oldmanpaco for their vote. :salute:
Seems that I didn't have the skills for pulling this off, sorry for that.
I will wait one day or two in the improbable case that this will get more votes before posting a final synopsis of the story and of the ideas I wanted to implement.
Thanks to all that read this short-lived LP. :salute:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Thanks for your support anus_pounder.
Apropos, in the next update you will have the opportunity for some anus pounding, in true Biowhorian spirit.

By the way, I am going to explain how this will work, something that I should have done from the beginning, my bad.
This part is about the origins of the various characters, at first I was thinking to introduce them in flashbacks, the standard fare, then I thought to make them interactive, but it would have broke the narrative flow, so I resorted to an origins sort of system.
First the main character, obviously, then, depending on the course of action decided by the players, the encounter with the other characters, with dedicated introductory chapters, all interactive of course.
Do you like the idea?

And about my writing skills, think of them as the equivalent of outdated graphics and horrible translations of the days of yonder, something that continues still today, like Witcher 1, you aren't really hardcore if you can't vote in this LP. :M

oscar

Arcane
Don't give up on this, I like it.

In some ways I prefer having the background of the world and characters being slowly unravelled than a giant info-dump.

We're at war with aliens, and we've got a true collar-grabber as our hero. What more do you need to know?

Asounds like a better long-term decision but I don't really know enough about Karl or Georian to make my mind up.

Kz3r0

Arcane
oscar said:
Don't give up on this, I like it.

In some ways I prefer having the background of the world and characters being slowly unravelled than a giant info-dump.

We're at war with aliens, and we've got a true collar-grabber as our hero. What more do you need to know?

Asounds like a better long-term decision but I don't really know enough about Karl or Georian to make my mind up.
Thanks for the support. :love:

Here a little addendum just for you and others unsure about what to vote.

War Council(addendum)

Tale of two warriors

While the vote progressed many gave a furtive gaze at Georian Sthar.

He's really okay with this?How does he feel about it?
These were their thoughts.

All of them knew of how the Fringe Sector was attacked, first by the 'Hawks', small Astrocrafts equipped with pulse cannons, using their speed they targeted human settlements, a massacre in cold blood.

And when the first Astropatrols arrived answering the S.O.S. it was the turn of the 'Vultures', a superior class, armed with particles disruptors, they easily destroyed patrol after patrol, a clear attempt at eliminating completely the human presence.

It was Commander Georian Sthar that ordered to the various patrols to regroup at the most near base of the Green Company.

It was him that organized them in attack groups, based around a Battlecruiser when available, or an Assaulter, with the smaller astrocrafts as support.

It was his iron will and his charisma that united desperate men and gave them the necessary discipline to ignore the various distress calls for concentrating on strategic recognizance mission and defending military facilities to prepare a quick counter-attack.

It was him that threw away every false illusion of saving doomed settlements and replaced it with the reality of a fighting capability that successfully halted the initial onslaught, permitting the intervention of the Green Company fleet, avoiding that the tragic death of so many would transform into an apocalyptic destruction of every human presence in the sector.

And it was his abnegation that made him pursue and repel the enemy Command Group, forcing them to retreat and halting the attacks, while the settlement where his family lived was under attack.

"Doesn't this man deserve to guide us in this decisive battle?"
Was the silent question of many.

"Is this conservative strategy really the best course of action?"
Such was the doubt in their hearts, that only discipline maintained silent.

All of this didn't passed unnoticed by Norian Dhen, the oldest veteran there, he perfectly understood their feelings, but they didn't experienced what he experienced.

There was a time when militias fought each others, some allied with aliens for revenge or to depredate other settlements, all of this seemed so distant, but without a man like Karl Chas the Green Company would have ceased to exist long time ago.

He had the necessary skills to mediate between the various militias, preventing a war between sectors in some case.

He had the determination and tactical ability to confront and defeat rogue Militias.

In the midst of a new alien war many forgot that war among humans could be as nasty as with aliens.

"Don't you realize that division and enmity are still simmering amongst us?"

"Can't you see that Karl Chas strategy is designed to strike a balance between the sectors to avoid that a victory would transform into the worst of the defeats?"

"The open display of hostility, even in such an important meeting, didn't alarm you?"

These questions were burning on the lips of Norian Dhen, but he remained silent, knowing that an unnecessary word at that point would have been catastrophic, not even his open support to Karl Chas, accepting to be one of the designed Field Commanders, seemed to convince them.

"The young wolves are thirsting for blood". Thought with a bitter smile.
And then his eyes were attracted by Lupus Wulfen's figure.

oscar

Arcane
Ah, I see the value in both leaders now. I'd probably be slightly in favour of Karl (countless wars have been lost due to infighting and lack of unity in purpose). However I'm not in favour of Karl enough to piss of Geor(g)ian (Liberal's far-off kin?).

However, let's leave the politics to the politicos and stay out of this one. C.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Switching to B

I'm going to do a 180 and say that caution might not necessarily be the worst choice. Though I'm doubtful that politician commander will do a good job of commanding the new ships.
Also, in-fighting can really bite you in the back, so theres that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1A,1B,2C.

Another addendum to convince people to vote.

In War and Peace.

Marshall Karl Chas lets his look wander throughout the room, over the emerald crowd, before fixing his attention on the figure of the 'Raven'.
He knew that the central sectors were becoming restive now that they had reach security and strength, and the new wealth that came with them.
He was also aware that in there many were questioning the usefulness of the Commonwealth, thinking that the outer sectors should be under their direct control to not be a burden.
Going so far as questioning their human status due to their rapports with aliens.
But he never thought to reach the point where this will come out in the Green Company so openly as it did few minutes ago.

There had been even rumors, promptly dismissed, of a possible declaration of full preeminence over the entire Commonwealth, nothing short of a military take over.
After the establishment of the Representativity many saw that as a way to undermine the position of the central sectors, that felt more guaranteed by the Directorate, where the oldest settlements have the most power.

But even inside these sectors many considered the Directorate obsolete, an institution born out of necessity, which dictatorial nature was thinly disguised, now seen more as a way to protect old privileges, no longer efficient to manage administrative and economical issues.

That's why they favored an expansion of the civilian administration to the point to gave it political power and even letting it develop some sort of, very limited, military force.

The Marshall then looked at Zhenar Xhan.
Was that the future?
A permanent army subordinated to a civilian authority, where commanders should be some sort of politicians too, and not only soldiers?

But the 'Raven' and his likes weren't the only ones unhappy with such a solution, and here the Marshall observed George Gragg that was talking with Dorian Ten-Har, for the outer sectors both the Directorate and the Representativity were a way to exercise an unwelcome control over them.
Until now only their relative weakness prevented that things will degenerate, but for how long?

Karl Chas looked straight in front of him, encountering the eyes of Lupus Wulfen, a chill run down his spine, maybe the future will be savage as the past after all.

grotsnik

Arcane
A bit o' in-depth proof-reading would do wonders for this (I know, 'first remove the log from your own eye' and all that); you can really tell the difference quality-wise between the first draft and the fine-tuning you've done, but there are still quite a lot of grammar and language errors that might give readers some issues. Still, it's fun, and Wulfen is an amusingly Biowarean name.

Also, B.

Kz3r0

Arcane
grotsnik said:
A bit o' in-depth proof-reading would do wonders for this (I know, 'first remove the log from your own eye' and all that); you can really tell the difference quality-wise between the first draft and the fine-tuning you've done, but there are still quite a lot of grammar and language errors that might give readers some issues.
Sorry for that, but this is the first time that I try something like this, not only in English, but in my own language.
And paradoxically the first draft was the one in which I have invested more effort, the addenda were on the fly.
grotsnik said:
Still, it's fun, and Wulfen is an amusingly Biowarean name.
Said by you is an honor.:salute:

grotsnik said:
Many thanks for your vote.
The tally at this moment:
1A,2B,2C.

Probably I will post another addendum with Shtar perspective later on.

Any opinions on the addendum formula? :M
Actually I like the idea of a first update with the general outlook of the situation followed by snippets that further elaborate it, possibly on input by the players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom