Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO - Aftershock : Victory!

Sign me up as a Vanguard, aka Ranger/Commando. Either human like Shepard, or as a cybernegro please; whichever is more conducive to charging into enemies with a katana or shotgun.

lightbane

Arcane
u8gSM.jpg

Even though the model is quite badly done, that guy looks awesome

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The story explains why it went like it did. The explanation is quite silly though. But we wont get there quite yet, I suppose we'll have a good 10-12 updates at least, before the story goes full derp. :M

@Sergiu 64 and Edward R Murrow
Your names are on the list. :salute:

More deaths please :salute:

Phoenix: Psionic/Leader/Ranger reporting to cleanse some human mutant filth.

A Phoenix is much superior to a Bee. :smug:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
dextermor has been close to death, as have eklektyk, but they both succesfully ran away before keeling over.

In the early game like this, the only thing that will kill you is hubris. If you think a single soldier can take on all comers, he will fall quickly.
Likewise, if you concentrate your fire, the opponents quickly go down. Since I'm playing this Ironman, I'm being cautious.
Deaths will come. Most likely to those who prefer close-combat. A shotgun blast to the face is no laughing matter. :smug:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm at work right now, and no updates will be forthcoming for at least 7 hours unless I get to leave early.

The research focus should be to expand the drop-pod size to allow 7 members on the away team. This will speed the experience gain as all soldiers on the away team get the same amount of xp, which is dependent on how many enemies are spotted in a mission, and what their armaments are. I think.

If any of you wish to see a certain aspect of the game highlighted in the next update, feel free to speak up. I shall try to accommodate you.

chzr

Scholar
btw, if you want to keep roster updated on the first page, keep it on the top since scrolling every time ffffuuuuuuuuuu-

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I will move roster and table of contents to the top of the first post when I next update this LP, which I hope will be in a few hours time. We've made contact with the psionics, and have started manufacturing our own guns now, which is a massive :incline:

And now, a vote! For the update after the next, do people want:

A
An overview of what weapons are currently available?

B
A closer look at the current roster, including screenshots of every recruit with his/her attributes, training and service record?

C
Both of the above?

D
Something else entirely? (please specify)

I'll let the vote continue until tomorrow. I think I'll be taking this afternoon off from playing. :M

chzr

Scholar
A, update with roster would be better after more missions :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Psionics, research and production

Last time we didn't have any psionic recruits yet, as we still hadn't found that faction.
We don't have to wait long though. We receive a message from the British Isles.

Naturally, we land to see what these freaks are all about.

:what: Oh-kay. Well, I guess we can help them out..
This mission is a new sort of mission, in that we enter a combat that's already underway. We go in to support the local troops, and have to make sure not too many of them fall. This early in the game, that should hardly be an issue, but with the AI being what it is, you can never be too sure.

In the first picture we see the chosen 5 that make planetfall to save the psionics. eklektyk and dextermorg both are wearing light armour, the two pieces we've managed to manufacture by now. eklektyk has a shotgun, and due to his speed he's the first in the thick of combat. And imagine his glee when he finds aliens that are too busy shooting at the psionics to notice him coming up from behind. :smug:

An easy victory, and our PR guy is ecstatic with the thought of us saving a female-only faction planet-side.. :roll:
We take the time to take a look at our current geospace screen, and peruse the overview section.

We now have 4 bases (London hasn't been fully established yet) and are fast at work, researching and producing new arms and armour. :incline:
Saving the psionics also gave enough xp to allow one of our recruits to start her designated training!

:salute: korenzel, you'll make a fine medic yet! Training in this game takes longer than it did in Aftermath, especially the higher tier trainings, meaning that you have to have a certain rotation going on the team. With our current roster, we have plenty of people to fill the vacant slots.
At the moment though, I'm focusing on a few recruits, to quickly get them enough xp to qualify for the chosen training, as we cannot use machineguns or sniper rifles without proper training.
Our research people now uncover the secrets of assault weaponry (rifles)!

The assault rifles will form the mainstay of our weaponry for many missions to come. They do reliable amounts of damage at a good range. Meaning we can often soften up the competition before they close enough to kill off our troops. Of course, this only holds true until I start encountering hostile humans, with weapons equal to, or better than ours... :smug:

Their territory is still far enough removed from ours that we will have produced weapons and armour for our troops before we encounter the cultists in battle. But once we do, we'll unlock further research that is imperative to our future survival.
Further researching our Laputa archives, we uncover more of our past.

More than one billion humans? Mind-blowing! :P
Lastly we take a look at the overview, manufacture, research and diplomacy screens.

We've begun constructing schools in some bases. Schools are knowledge buildings which will enable us to construct more advanced buildings in those bases, and which will boost the income of the mines connected to said bases. They do take up a slot same as a factory or laboratory though, so you'll have to balance needs and wants.
In the manufacture screen we can see that by now, we have also researched machineguns, sniper rifles and submachine guns. We have dextermorg in gunman training and Anus in sniper training, so we can soon field both a machinegun and a sniper rifle, and I make sure we'll have one of each. Armour takes a lesser priority, as these weapons can make armour a non-issue. :twisted:
In the research screen we can see we still cannot research AP ammunition blueprints, the reason is that we need to capture more enemy weapons of different variety in the field. This is possible by attacking the cultists, or helping friendly factions defend against attack by the cultists. I will focus on gaining territory next to theirs, for this express purpose. :smug:
Finally, the diplomacy screen leads us to believe that we can negotiate with the cultists, perhaps even acquire recruits from their ranks. It's all lies. The only friendly cultist is a dead cultist. :rpgcodex:
And this is where I leave you for now. See my above post, as I've made a little poll for you to vote in, should you so choose.

eklektyk

Erudite
Azira said:
eklektyk and dextermorg both are wearing light armour

eklektyk has a shotgun, and due to his speed he's the first in the thick of combat.

And imagine his glee when he finds aliens that are too busy shooting at the psionics to notice him coming up from behind. :smug:

I'm Sooooooo Happy right now !!! :love:

this will be glorius LP, Commander :salute: :salute: :salute:

C, I'm interested in both. I remember when I first started, I connected every territory with roads, since I didn't know that if you get a base, surrounding mines you own start delivering. BIG MISTAKE :D was broke very fast. Of course it's understandable if you "aquire" the game without manual.

JoKa

Cipher
eklektyk said:
Azira said:
eklektyk and dextermorg both are wearing light armour

eklektyk has a shotgun, and due to his speed he's the first in the thick of combat.

And imagine his glee when he finds aliens that are too busy shooting at the psionics to notice him coming up from behind. :smug:

I'm Sooooooo Happy right now !!! :love:

this will be glorius LP, Commander :salute: :salute: :salute:

spoken like a true expert on shooting people from behind, comrade commisar :smug:

also i vote A, roster update can wait for now...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@Bee
Don't you worry, Bee has seen a few missions and already levelled up a bit. In fact, I think she's already attending her first training, Sniper training. :smug:

korenzel

Educated
Voting C, along with a couple general questions :

Do you level up soldiers in order to max up a particular training to three as soon as possible or do you try to diversify ?

I see you're expanding quickly, three days have passed and you have most of Europe already. Are you still sticking to help missions or are you forcibly taking over some territories ?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, a new day has dawned here in Denmark, and the current tally is this:

A: 2 votes, chzr and Joka
B: 0 votes
C: 4 votes, lightbane, Desmodus Rotundus, Storyfag and korenzel
D: 0 votes

An update detailing weapons and roster both will be forthcoming. :salute:

@korenzel
I level up soldiers to qualify them for special weapons first, then I diversify, so they get the most trainings fastest. This is of course easiest for people who have chosen trainings that share attribute demands, such as Technician and Medic, that share Dexterity and Intelligence as important stats.
So far though, only your character has started training in two different roles (medic and scout), as you're one of the highest levelled characters right now, and your perception only needed to be levelled once to qualify for scout training after you'd finished the first tier of medic training. For you, I will now go for sniper training so you can wield such a rifle, and then focus on getting medic training to tier 3 ASAP.
As to the expansion, I don't do hostile takeovers, as I'm still running a deficit in the Alien tech thingie, and I need good relations to regularly beggar some more for my stockpiles. When you initiate a mission on your own, sometimes it spawns help missions in friendly territories. I'll gain more territories this way faster, once I research the PR-related techs from the Laputa lab. I hope to shed some more light on this later, as I've yet to research a single one of those techs.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Roster

Prepare for an image heavy update.
Also, I have only taken screenshots of the career tab for characters that have actually attendes missions. This is far from all, so if there's only a picture of your training tab, it's because you have yet to see actual action.
I've now used all the different pictures for human male faces, so if anyone else wants to sign up as a human male, you'll have to wait until someone from the team dies. :twisted:
Well, here goes. First up is eklektyk.

He currently qualifies for commando training, but I'm building him towards leader training first. I haven't yet decided what his two other training specialties are going to be, but I'm currently leaning towards either sniper or technician as one of them. His high accuracy is due to him having a shotgun, and my tactic currently consisting of him running up right next to the opposition, then letting rip on burst mode. :salute:
Next is JoKa.

He still doesn't qualify for his wanted stalker training, but he's getting closer. Two more levelups of perception, and he's finally eligible. He's gotten one of our best assault rifles and have 13 kills to his name so far. :salute:
Next one up is Gondolin. This time as a male. :smug:

Good skills all round, but still not qualified for gunman training. He just needs to level strength up once more though, and his training can start. He's racked up an impressive 16 kills so far. :salute:
Storyfag.

Not much to say yet. He's about to set off on his first mission. He has 4 levelups to go before qualifying for commando training. The first levels come fast though, so this should happen soon.
Phoenix.

Also a virgin, combat-wise. She wants leader training. 3 levels to go before qualifying.
Now I'll showcase the troopers currently training, Bee first.

Bee just started on the first tier of sniper training. In 1 day and 12 hours of gametime, she will know how to operate a sniper rifle. Definite :incline: on her part. 3 enemies killed in 5 missions. This is bound to change once she gets some proper firepower. :salute:
korenzel next.

korenzel has already completed the first tier of medic training, and is now 14 gametime hours away from completing the first tier of scout training. :salute: Also, 19 enemies killed! Very impressive. This time out, korenzel is female, due to volounteering for one of the first 4 slots in the away team, and there being a female amongst those. korenzel didn't specify gender, so got to be a tranny. :salute:
dextermorg next.

Only 7 hours to go before finishing gunman training and learning how to wield a machine gun. :smug: That should nicely help his kill-score along, though I daresay it will probably play havoc on his hit ratio. He is also the soldier that has spent the most time in sickbay so far. Going for a purple heart medal? Too bad sonny boy, those we only reward post-humously. :salute:
Anus.

One ugly as fuck tranny here, but only 5 hours away from completing sniper training. That's going to be FUN. :smug:
Desmodus.

Only level 2, yet almost completed his first training session as a ranger! :salute: He started off with just the right stats, not everyone's as lucky as this guy. He also sports an impressive 100% hit ratio! But bear in mind, he has only fired 9 shots, and he's wielding a shotgun. Once he starts dual-wielding smgs, I expect his hit ratio to plummet, but his lethality to increase. :salute:
Now for the remaining fresh recruits. Sergiu64 first.

Another tranny, this one wants to be a scout. 3 levels away from making that happen.
EdwardRM.

Wants to be a ranger. 3 levelups put into strength, and that will happen.
Cassidy.

Also three levels away from his desired training as a sniper.
K. Slips.

3 levelups again, before qualifying for scout training. I'm sensing a pattern here.
chzr.

Only 2 levels away from qualifying for medic training. I guess you broke the pattern chzr. :salute:
Finally, Claus.

*snicker* His last name seems to be "Topgear". Ohwell, can't change the names, only the callsigns. Welp, anyway. He wants technician training. He's 3 levels away from that currently.
This concludes the roster update. I'll tackle the weapons in the next update, to make it easier to find in the table of contents.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In this update, I'll go through the equipment currently available to our troops, except for the ammo, as I couldn't be arsed with that. Currently, we only stock ordinary ammo, nothing interesting yet, such as armor piercing, explosive or flechette rounds.
I'll discuss the different groups of weapons by themselves, and explain why I choose some weapons in preference to others.
First up is the weapons and equipment we start out with.

The reticulan laser pistol and rifle, and our basic firstaid kit. The laser weapons are good against certain enemies, such as the flatster, and a particular kind of enemy we wont be seeing for a long time. But the ammo is hard to come by and we can't produce it ourselves. The weapons we can produce ourselves quickly replace these for that reason, and it seems to me that human-produced weapons are generally more effective anyway, so I'm not complaining.
Many weapons have two modes of fire. Single-shot or burst. The burst can be anything from 2 to 5 shots. When using burst mode, the maximum range of the weapon is reduced by 5% for each point in the recoil stat. Which means, for these laser weapons, if switched to burst mode their maximum range drops 10%. Accuracy suffers in a like manner, but I don't have the exact numbers.
Next up is our only pistol.

This might see use by our dual-wielding rangers. It can also function as a backup gun, but I rarely bother.
SMGs next.

Higher accuracy is generally what you should go for, so in this case, the MP5 is the better choice. They're only really a valid choice for dual-wielding rangers though, so most of the time I just pass up on these weapons.
Shotguns next. :smug:

Two generations of the same gun. The SPAS 15 has a two-burst fire mode, making it extra deadly. Also, it reloading faster is a lifesaver. We will not be using the SPAS 12.
Assault rifles.

We'll be using the plastic XM8 exclusively, again because of higher accuracy. Sometimes, you land a critical hit which will knock the opponent on his ass. This seems to be tied in with accuracy, so higher = better always. Later, we'll get the option to affix different sorts of weapon upgrades to our gear, which can improve some of its stats. The XM8 will remain in use for a long time.
Machineguns. :twisted:

Our gunmen will be wielding M60E3s for a while. And they will be loving it. :smug: Once their skills get high enough, they will be outperforming assault rifles, even at extreme ranges. God, I love these things. You just have to lug around a lot of ammo, but I consider that tradeoff worth it.
Sniper rifles.

This is where I deviate from my normal maxim of higher accuracy = weapon of choice. Here, I take the SR-25 due to several things. It can fire in 2-round bursts, it holds the most ammo of the three, and the ranges I will usually be fighting at means the accuracy means less than the "round per sec" data. Later on I might occasionally switch to the M82A1 just for the pure awesomeness of the firing sound. :smug:
Now for the grenades currently held by our team.

I admit I'm not good at using the grenades to their full potential. I find that enemies scatter quickly, and will often have moved anyways, so I prefer direct fire weapons. I might take along some incendiary grenades though, to try and funnel enemies in a specific direction. I haven't had good results with this though. The jury's still out.
Here are some captured reticulan equipment I have yet to research, and as such are unavailable for use.

The missile launcher can be devastating, not for its damage output per se, but because explosions knock people down. Take advantage of the seconds this buys you to fill them with holes. But beware that reloading a missile launcher takes time in which the enemy might decide to fill you with holes..
The reticulan blaster causes stun damage. Highly useful in capture missions, and against a certain type of armoured enemy we will encounter later. It has short range though, and is dependent on psi-power.
Finally, we have our trusty knife.

This was also available right from the start, actually. I just never use them.
Our troops also have some protective gear available.

The cyborgs start out pretty well protected. The rest of your meatbags you'd better concentrate on making shells for quickly, as they scrape easily and will happily bleed all over the place. Later armour advances will drastically increase the likelyhood of survival when being fired upon. But that's for later, not now.

As it stands, most troops get the XM8 assault rifles. Some I've given the SPAS 15 shotgun, if their close range skill is much better than their rifle skill and they're fast. Once people start completing sniper and gunmant training, they will be getting their SR-25s and M60E3s ASAP.
For now, I will concentrate on grabbing territory that will lead me closer to the cultist threat. That will increase the odds of us getting to fight other humans, probably better armed than us, and it will inevitably lead to research topics that will bring us bigger boom-sticks. :incline:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
After these two image heavy updates, it might be wise to bump the thread to the next page.. :M
But maybe I'll cram in just one more update on this one. A short update explaining the combat more in-depth p'raps?

Gondolin

Arcane
Good skills all round, but still not qualified for gunman training. He just needs to level strength up once more though, and his training can start. He's racked up an impressive 16 kills so far.

Hell, yeah! :salute:

Also: Bump

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom