Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

US videogames now eligible for artistic funding

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://arts.gov/grants/apply/AIM-presentation.html

Grants are available to support the development, production, and national distribution of innovative media projects about the arts (e.g., visual arts, music, dance, literature, design, theater, musical theater, opera, folk & traditional arts, and media arts including film, audio, animation, and digital art) and media projects that can be considered works of art.

Projects may include high profile multi-part or single television and radio programs (documentaries and dramatic narratives); media created for theatrical release; performance programs; artistic segments for use within an existing series; multi-part webisodes; installations; and interactive games.

Proud codexians now have until September 1, 2011 to apply for a grant that may be as much as 200,000 noble American Dollers.:salute:
XICdz.jpg

itz BULLSHIT and LIES

Even if, by some miracle, a gaming company managed to produce something artsy-like, it wouldn't be recognized. Why? Because gamers are, by and large, immature. I know there is some statistic saying that gamers are quite old on average, but they are nevertheless immature and entitled useless people who will corrupt everything they touch with the their horrible taste, all the while whining about how their stupid little hobby doesn't get any recognition for being really deep because, liek, the cake is a lie and shit.

Games aren't art, end of discussion

Raapys

Arcane
Pathologic and The Void are pretty artful. Call of Duty, not so much.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
To me games like Metal Slug, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Syndicate, Battles from the Bulge, Fire-Brigade, Ultima 7, Alien Breed Tower Assault, Laser Squad, etc. are art :smug: .

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If i could have the BBC comedies equivalent of games, i'd gladly let other people pay a tax to fund it.

There is a new emphasis on innovation, as well as strengthening creativity through access to the arts. In order to reach the widest possible audience, priority will be given to projects that include substantive public engagement strategies, including well articulated social media strategies

Eligible applicants are nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3), U.S. organizations; units of state or local government; or federally recognized tribal communities or tribes

If it wasn't for that little snag, I'd say that Age of Decadence could try to represent itself as a work of art.

AoD could bill itself as a metaphorical work mirroring the fall of ancient rome and it's reflection of humanity, regardless of the time period or setting. A representation of the human experience, politics and the self serving interest that drives creation and destruction of society.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
LibertyRansom said:
federally recognized tribal communities or tribes

Perhaps one day in the distant future rich internet communities like the codex will be federally recognised as well.

deuxhero

Arcane
If a tarp is art to the government (Even with the "Work created for entertainment instead of practical use" definition, which I prefer, it isn't art, you use it to keep paint from damaging things) almost anything is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Raapys said:
Pathologic and The Void are pretty artful. Call of Duty, not so much.

There's nothing artful about Pathologic and The Void.

The game not having a single bit of gameplay doesn't make it artful.

J1M

Arcane
LibertyRansom said:
There is a new emphasis on innovation, as well as strengthening creativity through access to the arts. In order to reach the widest possible audience, priority will be given to projects that include substantive public engagement strategies, including well articulated social media strategies

Eligible applicants are nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3), U.S. organizations; units of state or local government; or federally recognized tribal communities or tribes

If it wasn't for that little snag, I'd say that Age of Decadence could try to represent itself as a work of art.

AoD could bill itself as a metaphorical work mirroring the fall of ancient rome and it's reflection of humanity, regardless of the time period or setting. A representation of the human experience, politics and the self serving interest that drives creation and destruction of society.
VD lives in Canada. If he wants videogame subsidies he just has to move from Ontario to Quebec.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom