Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Seal of Evil!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
:salute:

Carry on!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Peach Blossom Village is confusing as far as story consistency goes although the whole thing starts out simple enough. With a fight of backwater vigilantes (us) vs. the Mafia (them).

1_Thugs.jpg

Servant of the Li family: You want your son back? Oh... well, first you'll need to pay back the money that you owe us. Otherwise he'll stay with us to work it off. Come on, grab the child and let's go!

LanWei.jpg
: Ha! Quiet bold to kidnap a child in broad daylight.

Bold and really not worth the trouble as the fiends soon find themselves face down in the dirt.

LanWei.jpg
: Sir, are you all right? Are you hurt?

Uncle Fang: Many thanks to you, young lady. But I'm afraid that they will return once you've left.

LanWei.jpg
: Worry not. Tell me why they did this to you.

Uncle Fang: I wanted to save the son of my grandchild, so I borrowed ten gold pieces from the Li family to buy medicine. I wanted to repay them later when we sold our harvested wheat...

LanWei.jpg
: Easy. Tell us slowly.

Uncle Fang: But...but... I would have never thought that Li San, the head of the Li family, would manipulate my bond. I wrote that I would borrow ten gold pieces and pay triple the sum during autumn. A fair and just thing. But he changed the ten to one thousand. Now I must somehow come up with three thousand gold pieces. I couldn't earn that much in my lifetime!

LanWei.jpg
:
1. That, Li...San... sounds like a real bastard. Let me have a word with him.
→ 2. So, the debt is now repaid. But the bond is still in their hands. Now we must think about how we can get it.

In case you didn't guessed it, Lan Wei prefers the all frontal approach in such affairs.

2_LiEstate.jpg

Li San: Who are you? How dare you entering my home?

LanWei.jpg
: Are you Li San? We're friends of Mr. Fang. We heard that he owes you a great deal of money. Is that true?

Li San: Very true. After he lend the money he now owes me three thousand gold pieces. And he is already in delay for two days. Together with daily taxes that would now be three thousand and five hundred gold pieces.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. I will pay his debt. And this is also a warning. Don't bother him anymore or you'll be hold responsible.
→ 2. So, this is how it works? He lends ten gold pieces and must pay three thousand and five hundred to you?

Li San: Bah! In this village, little girl, the Li family makes the law! Attack me and your life will depend on my goodwill.

LanWei.jpg
: Very well, you old goat. Let's try it. I'm standing right here!

We have another little chat with Uncle Fang once all the bodies have been discreetly disposed.

LanWei.jpg
: Sir, I paid for the loan. They won't be pestering you any more.

Uncle Fang: Really? You were able to help me?

LanWei.jpg
: Sir, could you tell us why the Li family did this to you?

Uncle Fang: All that because they want to earn their dirty money from the misfortune of others.

LanWei.jpg
: What do you mean?

Uncle Fang: There was a wealthy family called Shi living in this village. The head of the family was a very generous and kind man. Tragically his son fell over a cliff and all the money the family had was spent on his treatment which drove them into ruin. It was also tragic that the old man died months before the son finally regained consciousness.

LanWei.jpg
: Master Shi was indeed fortunate to survive such a fall at all.

Uncle Fang: Yes, Master Shi was lucky. But he was greatly disheartened because of the his father's death. He doesn't speak any more and tears run over his face when the name of his father is even mentioned. Oddly enough he shows great compassion for the damaged mums on the market and buys every one of them without any hesitation.

LanWei.jpg
: Mums? Why does he care about damaged mums?

Uncle Fang: No one knows. But Li Tu got wind of it and now damages the flowers on purpose to steal the money out of the boy's pocket.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. Yes, this Li Tu surely is corrupt. It appears that the entire family is corrupt and that bothers me somehow. A lot even.
2. Well...if....if I would have the time...I would give the entire Li family a fair beating.

Ok, we're off to deliver another friendly warning then. Instead of entering the house however we get an opportunity for an eavesdrop operation.

3_LiConv.jpg

Li Tu: Let me thank you with this first cup of wine that you saved my life. Cheers!

Qing Kong: Eh, it was nothing worth mentioning. You are very polite. Cheers!

Li Tu: Let me thank you a second time. For your future success in defeating the evil spirits that are hunting me.

Qing Kong: Hear, hear! Don't be concerned, my friend. Those two creatures have grown soft after so many years amongst us. Their magic is weak. Tomorrow will be their last. I guarantee you.

Li Tu: Hahaha... you are a brave man, Qing Kong! I again raise my cup on your bravery.

Qing Kong: And on yours! Cheers! [sip] We'll have to be prepared for every eventuality tomorrow. Do you think that you could send some soldiers to the bottom of the mountain to support me? Future historians are going to tell about your helpfulness, I assure you.

Li Tu: I already thought of that. I hired additional soldiers for you two days ago.

Qing Kong: Splendid! Come, fill my cup again! Let us salute on your wisdom and foresight!

Li Tu: Thank you! The same to you! Cheers! [sip] That was a wonderful evening. It is sad that it must end, but it is getting late and there is much we must do tomorrow. We shall continue where it ended tonight after our victory, what do you say? [exits]

Qing Kong: Hahaha. Yes, tomorrow morning the ancient powers of Clear Fountain and Flying Swallow will be mine.

LanWei.jpg
: Clear Fountain and Flying Swallow? Oh no, we've got to stop them! If we act now they will have the advantage. We should better go to Shi Guiyi's house first.

Quiet frankly I've got no idea how she manages to make those leaps of logic but we'll ride on the wave while it's still there. Turns out that Shi fellow really does like flowers.

4_FlowerHouse.jpg

There is also another unexpected visitor present.

FeiYan.jpg
: A beautiful young woman is talking with Shi Guiyi, a sick, bed ridden man. “It is all because of you. My older sister is dying but you couldn't understand. Even if you recover from your illness, you'll never see her again, it is pointless. I can't allow it. I must kill you now to save my sister.”

LanWei.jpg
: Hold it! How can you kill an innocent man?

She disappears in a puff of smoke without any explanation or lead. We'll need to do another leap of logic and talk to a new NPC that appeared in front of the Li house.

LanWei.jpg
: Hello! We came to the village and heard that the Li estate is haunted. What on earth happened there?

Servant of the Li family: Well, we've never been haunted by a monster before. But my master saw ghosts and then he dreamed about being cursed by a woman in purple, and another one in yellow because he gained money by corrupt means. He became very sick shortly after the dreams started.

LanWei.jpg
: What did you do?

Servant of the Li family: We thought that there was a spook in the house. So Master Li hired a wizard called Qing Kong to chase it off. The wizard helped curing Li but he didn't expel the ghosts. He said that he would have to stay to reckon the right day to banish them. Whatever that means. Somehow, he's been living here ever since then. He's also eating a lot.

LanWei.jpg
: Did Qing Kong ever mentioned a date?

Servant of the Li family: Are you joking? I think he stays as long as he can get food for free and is paid. I'm certain that his 'magical' day will suddenly come up as soon as he decides to leave.

LanWei.jpg
: As long as there are no ghosts that scare the villagers I think it is a good thing.

CaiXin.jpg
: The woman that we've met yesterday was in purple. And she said that she has a sister with magical powers [or maybe not. I'm starting to get the impression that we make this stuff up as we go]. I wonder if they might be the ghost from Li's dream?

GaiNie.jpg
: Qing Kong is good at what he does. He must be after something other than food and drinks.

LanWei.jpg
: If it is true then those two girls were handling the bad guys for us. The younger sister said that her older sister was dying. We should go to them and help.

CaiXin.jpg
: I think so too. I believe that they are at Thunder-God Mountain. We have to get there before Qing Kong.

5_FlowerAmbush.jpg

You face death itself in the form of 1 purple red mum.

LanWei.jpg
: How can a purple red mum grow here?

Unsurprisingly the flower turns out to be the woman from back at Shi's in disguise.

FeiYan.jpg
: I didn't believe that you could get here this fast. My elder sister is dead! Fight me, so that I can rejoin her. I don't care about this life any more.

LanWei.jpg
: We don't want to hurt you, we're here to help your sister.

FeiYan.jpg
: Help us? Bah! You're here to steal our magical essence, our powers of purity and of freedom!

LanWei.jpg
: No, we're not. We're here to help you. We overheard your conversation with Master Shi [that part about killing the disabled in the name of family love] and it moved us. Let us help.

FeiYan.jpg
: That was you in Master Shi's home?

LanWei.jpg
: Yes! We believe that the illness has somehow connected Master Shi and your older sister. We're adventurers with a good heart and if you want, we would like to assist.

FeiYan.jpg
: Connected? Yes, that could be true. If you can save my sister I'll give you everything, I swear on my life!

LanWei.jpg
: That won't be necessary. We're glad to help you out. Maybe you should tell us what happened.

FeiYan.jpg
: There is a thoughtful expression on Fei Yan's face for a moment. “Thirteen years ago, the flower that my sister was turned into was dug out by an herbalist. He sold her on a nearby market to someone called Li but Li planted her in a rocky area and, out of despair, she stopped to blossom.”

LanWei.jpg
: <Continue to listen to Fei Yan>

FeiYan.jpg
: My sister dried out in the heat of the autumn sun. Then a young man who was passing through rescued her. Master Shi Guiyi took her with him to his home and cared for her. She began to thrive and to bloom. After a while Master Shi allowed a servant to bring her back to Thunder-God Mountain, from whence she came. Master Shi saved her life.

LanWei.jpg
: Master Shi must be a very kind man.

FeiYan.jpg
: Ten years later, Master Shi fell over a cliff. And this time it was my older sister that saved him. But he was severely wounded. She allowed him to stay with her for almost half a year. During that time of recovery, they talked about memories of the valley of Master Shi, about green plums and about tee sweetened with osmanthus. They remembered watching plum blossom during full moon, and they started to fall in love.

LanWei.jpg
: That's a sweet story.

FeiYan.jpg
: But to save Master Shi, my sister had to rejuvenate the source of her power, the magical essence of purity. To do that she had to return to the form of a flower. I myself was just renewing my own power at the time and was still a flower as well. Shi Guiyi recovered within six months and returned home. My sister hoped desperately that she would be restored soon, so that she and Master Shi could marry.

LanWei.jpg
: Really? What happened then?

FeiYan.jpg
: But when Shi Guiyi came home, he heard that his father died. He was so distraught by this that he fell into deep despair and no medicine could cure him. I told my sister that I was certain that we could save him with our purity and freedom.

Now we'll have to decide whether to believe the story of Uncle Fang or hers since both don't exactly match up. It's like a chose your own story book or somethin'.

LanWei.jpg
: Then why did you try to hurt Master Shi?

FeiYan.jpg
: We couldn't bare the insults that Li spoke out against Master Shi and the other villagers. But the magic of our punishment attracted a powerful, evil wizard who is longing for our powers of purity and freedom. He is waiting for us to blossom once more, then he will steal our souls and with them our powers.

LanWei.jpg
: What will you do?

FeiYan.jpg
: My sister must abandon her power of purity to save Master Shi. But if she does so then I know that it will kill her. I tried to convince her not to do it but she doesn't want to listen. I couldn't bare to lose her, so I decided that the death of Shi was the only way to save her. But the gods must be on her side, because I failed. I was on my way back to wait for the evil wizard that wants to steal our powers when I met you.

LanWei.jpg
: Fei Yan, the wizard left during the early morning. He could already arrived at the Black Water Lily Cave. You must bring me to your sister at once.

Whatever. I lost track of what this quest is all about a few dialogues ago. The least you could do would be to present a clean cut showdown.

6_CaveMeeting.jpg

Qing Kong: If you want to save this man then hand over Clear Fountain and Flying Swallow to me.

ChuanYun.jpg
: Shi Guiyi is sick. He will die without the flowers. If you take them, then your wickedness will grow even worse, and no one of us will have peace. We should rather die before it comes to that.

Qing Kong: Pitiful creatures! Don't underestimate me, only because I'm human. I have the power to defeat you. But no one shall say that I'm without compassion. Give me the flower and I promise that I'll save your lover. That is the least I can do for a fellow human being. Otherwise you can watch as he dies a slow and agonizing death.

Wait, I thought she was the flower.

ChuanYun.jpg
: You've lied to us too many times in the past for us to trust you.

Qing Kong: Destroy the flower and Shi Guiyi will die for sure! Give it to me and I'll heal him, I swear. Even better: I will teach him how to become immaterial and he will become an immortal spirit. What could you want more? You'll be together forever – isn't that what you wanted? Go on, make your choice!

ChuanYun.jpg
: I... I don't know...

Hold it right there villain!

LanWei.jpg
: Don't listen to him! He would promise anything to get your precious flower.

Qing Kong: Who are you to judge my good deeds, you little, wild ruffian!
Very well. It is a shame: Shi Guiyi is loving you so much, even though he must realize that his life is less worth to you than two stupid flowers. Do you think that he'll be disappointed when he wakes up in hell?

FeiYan.jpg
: Chuan Yun!

The faeries pass out in a convenient manner for the boss fight. Qing Kong fights like an upgraded version of Lu Sheng so there are again a lot of big rocks falling on our collective heads. It's not exactly a hard battle but you only get five minutes to kill the wizard before Shi Guiyi dies and the quest fails. Lan Wei handles him in two. After that Lan Wei gets a biowarian choice to either let Fei Yan turn herself into a flower so that we can take her essence of freedom to save her sister or vice versa with the essence of purity. Both cases end unsatisfactorily for poor but cured Shi since even Chuan Yun will rather abandon him in favour of her sister but at this stage I'm just glad that this instance of bad narration is over and done with. Further investigations reveal however that the village is having more problems with a faery when we hear daddy exposition lecturing his son.

Man: Xiao Bao, there is a monster in our village. Don't go out to play. If it catches you then you will become as retarded as the son of Miss Zhang, Da Tou. And like Ya Zi who lived at the city gates. Everything she can do now is laughing to no end without a thought in her head.

LanWei.jpg
: How can you tell that this was the doing of a monster?

Man: I saw it with my own eyes. It was a black, shadowy creature. He was standing over Ya Zi and turned into dark mist and disappeared. Since then Ya Zi is nothing more but an idiot, incapable to understand anything. Same thing happened to Da Tou, the son of Miss Zhang. This thing must be a demon.

LanWei.jpg
: Could this all be true?

It appears we're going to find out as the kid starts screaming as soon as we leave their home.

Man: The man looks terrified. “The demon was here to take Xiao Bao. He ran away when he saw you coming, jumped out of the window back there!”

LanWei.jpg
: I have to take up the chase!

The creature didn't get far.

7_ShadowHunt.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Halt! Don't move a muscle!

ShadowDevil.jpg
: Now that I'm revealed, I don't have to disguise myself anymore.

LanWei.jpg
: What?

8_FoxReveal.jpg

FoxFairy.jpg
: This is my true face.

LanWei.jpg
: Back off, demon! Go back to hell!

Other than the obvious furry jokes, this fox fairy is a quiet dangerous foe mostly because she is likely to go after Lan Wei and is able to kill things fast but that's why you bring a wall like Liang Hu along.

FoxFairy.jpg
: Stop! Don't attack me!

LanWei.jpg
: What? Then explain why!

FoxFairy.jpg
: I'm a fox fairy. I would never hurt anyone.

LanWei.jpg
: You wouldn't hurt anyone? Then how do you explain what happened to the kids from the village?

FoxFairy.jpg
: I... I just absorbed their wisdom. It... it isn't dangerous. In a few years they will be...restored.

LanWei.jpg
: Terrible! You hurt others for your own gain. We should kill you!

FoxFairy.jpg
: Please don't kill me! I already stopped taking what I need. I will die soon. But I still have something left to do. Please.

LanWei.jpg
: What is it?

FoxFairy.jpg
: Believe me, I beg you, let me return to my cave one last time!

LanWei.jpg
: All right. Move!

Smells like a trap.

9_FoxCave.jpg

But it is just the Han Xing debacle all over again.

Young Man: Leave us alone! Don't hurt my mummy!

LanWei.jpg
: Mummy? This thing is your mother?

Young Man: She is my mummy. Some bad soldiers killed my family a long time ago. They blinded me and since then every other kid is picking on me. But mummy always protects me. She always watches over me.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand, little one. Don't be afraid, I won't hurt her.

Young Man: Thanks! My mummy is the only one in the world who cares for me and protects me. You shouldn't be mean to her.

LanWei.jpg
: Would you go out for a minute? I must tend to her.

Getting an Old Yeller vibe here.

FoxFairy.jpg
: Thank you for letting me go. I have seen his face before I die. Now I'm satisfied.

LanWei.jpg
: Why is this kid with you?

FoxFairy.jpg
: This boy has always been in a bad condition since his birth. But he was very kind to me. He saved me when I lost all of my magic. To repay him for his kindness I've learned to live with him without feasting on him.

LanWei.jpg
: What are you doing now?

FoxFairy.jpg
: A year ago, Qin soldiers burned down his house. They also burned his eyes and blinded him. I cared for him like he was my own child. But the children of the village were always picking on him because he was blind. I didn't saw any other way to protect him. The villagers would have killed me if they would have seen me.

LanWei.jpg
: So you disguised yourself?

FoxFairy.jpg
: One day I learned that by eating children's minds, I could turn into human form. I practised long and hard until I mastered it. Now I do it only when I have to protect my child.

LanWei.jpg
: And why are still hurting the other children now?

FoxFairy.jpg
: “Because... because...” The eyes of the fox fairy are getting filled with tears, “If I stop, I must again become a fox fairy. I have to. I must decide if I want to be half human or an evil fairy.”

LanWei.jpg
: …

FoxFairy.jpg
: My powers are now gone. I will soon die. When my time comes, that what is left of my essence will turn into a magic pearl. Please bring it to my child and let him swallow it. It will give him strength and he will then be able to take care of himself.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand. Please – you can go in peace.

That she does.

Young Man: Will mummy get better again?

LanWei.jpg
:
1. We killed your mummy, little boy. She was a demon who was hurting a lot of people.
→ 2. Here, little boy. Your mother left you some medicine. You must swallow it for her sake.

Young Man: I know that my mum died. I will not take the medicine. It smells like my mummy. That would forever make me think of her.

LanWei.jpg
:…

Ah well, what a waste. The pearl was the best crafting item for potions there is. All the things you do for kidz love. We're about to continue our chase after Chi You when a guard provides us with a vital pointer.

Man4.jpg
: There is man called Fang Zhong. He knows everything, from the skies to earth. He knows, what happened five hundred years ago, and what will happen five hundred years from now on. He is a divine man or some such. He cured Granny Zhang once, who had been plagued with a smelly foot for twenty years.

GaiNieShock2.jpg
: Fang Zhong?

CaiXin.jpg
: You know him, Gai Nie?

GaiNie.jpg
: Possibly. I once knew a Fang Zhong. He was a disciple of Mohism – a philosophical – religious movement – an intelligent man with many talents, who was a master in the use of magic. He fought together with General Li Mu. It was there that I met him.

CaiXin.jpg
: Shall we visit him?

GaiNie.jpg
: We didn't have much in common, he was just a fleeting acquaintance. And we don't have time for an unnecessary visit at the moment. We should press on.

Gai Nie doesn't seem too fond of the guy. We should visit him right away.

10_FangHouse.jpg

Man6.jpg
: Fang Zhong's eyes flash up in surprise as he catches sight of Gai Nie. “Gai Nie! What are you doing here?”

GaiNie.jpg
: We're just passing through. I would have never though that you would settle here after you left the Realm of Zhao.

CaiXin.jpg
: <Thinks> Strange. Gai Nie doesn't look too happy to see Fang Zhong. Why is that?

Man6.jpg
: Fang Zhong's eyes are pointed to the floor, his head weights heavily downwards. “It is an old story... not worth to be told.”

GaiNie.jpg
: What...? If you wouldn't have convinced your division to run away, General Li wouldn't have died during the battle! Your men were always talking about virtues and morals but they let the people of Zhao down when they were needed most. This old story, you jackass?

Man6.jpg
: Fang Zhong is getting angrier more and more while he listens. “You arrogant bastard! I'm not an infant who craps his pants by the first signs of danger. What happened was unavoidable. And it is in the past. I can not change it but you can stop insulting my men!”

GaiNieMad.jpg
: You were ten Li away from Han Dan! But you refused to help! What possible explanation is there other than the fact that you're a weakly insect without an ounce of honour in your rotten bones? Please tell me. I'm sure that the dead General Li and Shuang are eager to hear your story.

Man6.jpg
: Fang Zhong's eyes widen in terror, “What do you say? My sister... Shuang... she's dead?!”

GaiNieMad.jpg
: Yes, Shuang is dead. Killed by Qin soldiers... while she was alive, she always told me how ashamed she was because of you when you and your soldiers fled the battlefield.

Man6.jpg
: Fang Zhong falls on his knees and moans: “Oh gods! It is my fault! I brought this shame onto her. But... but there was nothing else I could do! What happened was the worst thing that ever happened to my troops but I couldn't talk about it openly. I couldn't. But now... when the army reached our gates we were well prepared – for a fierce battle. But then something happened what we didn't expect.”

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: What do you mean?

Man6.jpg
: Someone from our own ranks betrayed us. I never thought that possible. He poisoned our food and water and we were left without strength. When we finally recaptured Han, Dan had already fallen.

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: Did you never find out who the traitor was?

Man6.jpg
: I did. It was my protégée.

GaiNieShock1.jpg
: Zhao Ba? But the Qin killed all his relatives. Why would he do it?

Man6.jpg
: “Who knows? We couldn't believe it as well... but it destroyed our morale. The army disbanded. I spent the last couple of years on my research for a book about the changes of the five elements. Everything I wanted to do with my life had been lost forever...” His eyes flash as he remembers something. “There is nothing here, everything is abandoned, why are you here?”

GaiNie.jpg
: <Tell everything that happened>

Man6.jpg
: So that's the situation! No wonder that the earth in the north shifted two years back. What will you do now?

GaiNie.jpg
: We have no choice. We must stop Chi You, even if it means our death.

Man6.jpg
: It will be a difficult battle. Very difficult. Wait a moment. I have something that might help you. It is a package my teacher left me. Inside you'll find a tradition about the gods and the five elements.

LanWei.jpg
: Is there a connection to Chi You?

Man6.jpg
: According to the tradition, every god, including Chi You and the Yellow Emperor, have their origin in the five elements. Those elements support and constrain each other. Not one element is preferred over the others or neglected. This is why the Yellow Emperor was never able to defeat Chi You... and the other way around. They are in complete balance.

GaiNie.jpg
: If that's the case then the Yellow Emperor must have had access to another power that made it possible for him to imprison Chi You.

Man6.jpg
: Possibly. Sadly I don't know who or what it was. Take this and read it carefully. Maybe you'll find something in there that will help you to defeat the demon.

Lore dump dead ahead.

Letters.jpg

When Pan Gu ended the chaos, he used his bones to create Fu Xi, and his blood to create Nu Wa. Together those three filled the world with life. At first Pan Gu's spirit filled heaven as well as the earth, but after 100.000 years it scattered and became the five elements. These five elements complement each other in an endless cycle of coming and going: Yin and Yang. After another 100.000 years, from those five elements, new gods emerged. Each element had a main deity as its guardian. The deity of metal was West Wangmu; the deity of wood was Yan-Emperor; the deity of fire was Chi You; the deity of water was Gong-Gong; and the deity of earth was the Yellow Emperor. Another 100.000 years they reigned in even harmony over their given realms. Until Gong-Gong and Zhu Rong, a lower god of fire, started to fight one another at Buzhou Mountain. Their rage divided heaven and almost doomed all of mankind, Nu Wa, who responded quickly, collected the scattered pieces of the five elements and used them to close the hole in the sky in one hundred days. But some of the elemental stones were left unused. Those were again scattered around the world of men and are now known as the Imperial Stones.

Soon we'll reach Chengdu, Yan Hong's old home, where he'll have to face the shadows of his past and where the story of two notorious lovebirds draws to a close for better or for worse.

Skill Corner

Lan Wei
SFP.png
: Seven Flower Poison (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Insect Swarm, 60 points of water
Additional Effects: +1% additional group damage for every five points of water
Notes: I'm not quiet sure if they mean group damage or collective HP absorptions from hits on the cursed target. Either way doesn't sound too bad

Liang Hu
FireAsh.png
: Warrior's Fire (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Set the Place Ablaze, 30 points of fire + earth
Additional Effects: Skill can no longer be interrupted nor dodged
Notes: Rather imperative if you want to use this skill at all as interruptions happen way too frequently with this attack

FireAsh.png
: Ashes and Smoke (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Set the Place Ablaze, 60 points of wood and an equipped wood weapon
Additional Effects: +30% HP absorptions
Notes: Considering that the attack can do up to 200 points of damage and upwards, this is not a small factor to consider

Yan Hong
HeartSting.png
: Sting to the Heart (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Summon Fire Demon, 60 points of fire
Additional Effects: The attacks of the Fire Demon ignore any armour completely
Notes: :twisted:^2

Cai Xin
TremendousThunder.png
: Tremendous Thunder (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Frightening Thunderbolt, 30 points of fire + wood
Additional Effects: Attack stuns all enemies when executed as a final combo attack
Notes: Worth to be considered as the attributes costs are fairly low and you can stun a lot of enemies in one swoop if you attack from the right angle

Gai Nie
UnchangeableGold.png
: Unchangeable Gold (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Protection of the Golden Bell
Additional Effects: +3% protection against abnormal effects for every 5 points of earth
Notes: This might be the first instance where the name of the skill perfectly fits its application

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Mostly grinding panthers&foxes for skin. Got swarmed a few times and died but otherwise not much exciting action going on. The fight against the fox fairy was the most fun with an almost dead Lan Wei running in circles while I yell "Get away from her, you bitch!" at the top of my lungs.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The party has reached the top of Thunder-God Mountain. Once we get past Chengdu on our way down and over another mountain, we should be back in Eastern Baiyue for the final confrontation. Weather is harsh up here so it comes to a surprise that we share the road with a frail old man.

1_HuanTrouble1.jpg

Old Man: What should I do?

CaiXin.jpg
: Sir, can we help you?

Old Man: Cai Xin? Where are you coming from?

CaiXinShock.jpg
: General! Why are you here?

The general comes straight to business.

HuanQi.jpg
: When Ying Zheng found out that I didn't have the Imperial Stone, he got upset and held me responsible. His eunuch urged him to punish me and suggested that I may work for the other side. So Ying Zheng ordered me to return to the capital, probably with plans to have me killed.

CaiXin.jpg
: General, take my advice, you shouldn't return.

HuanQi.jpg
: The eunuchs are no idiots. They know that they won't catch me easily, those castrated bastards. They let the son of the old General Wang Ian, Wang Ban and his men take over the garrison in Jiuyuan. They set up a trap in the house of the general and wanted to escort me to Xian Yang.

CaiXin.jpg
: How were you able to escape Jiuyuan, General?

HuanQi.jpg
: I had an old friend who was working in the house, he lead me outside one night. I took a great risk. He said that he wanted me to be free, so that I could help the people of Jiuyuan. Then he found out that Ying Zheng was really looking for me. I'm not sure, but I think I may have drawn some unwanted attention to myself. [looks back] Here they come.

CaiXin.jpg
: General, it is not safe. You better get away from here. We'll meet again later.

HuanQi.jpg
: I can do that. But, what about the Qin soldiers over there...

CaiXin.jpg
: Let me negotiate with them.

HuanQi.jpg
: Careful...

2_HuanTrouble2.jpg

Battle stations ready.

Qin General: Stop! Who goes there?

LanWei.jpg
: We're travellers and on our way to Chengdu.

Qin General: This road is blocked until we've found the traitor Huan Qi.

*Puff*

3_HuanTrouble3.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: Ah!

Qin General: Go now, or you'll be arrested!

*Puff* again and the general suddenly stands alone between a rock and a hard place.

Qin General: Rebels! Soldiers, kill them! [Turns around] Help! [Runs away]

That the undead are already so close to Chengdu doesn't bode well for the city's fate. On first glance though they at least left the front gate intact.

4_CityGates.jpg

YanHongSad.jpg
: I can't believe it but I'm back. I'm really back. Nothing has changed. Look, even the city gates still have the same lock.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong...

YanHongSad.jpg
: My parents were killed during that year in front of these gates. The blood of my people flowed like a river through the mud. I... I was never able to make a grave and an altar for them... and I don't know where their bones could be lying now.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: I'm sorry, Yan Hong.

YanHongSad.jpg
: Father... Mother... I'm asking you, give me the strength to defeat Chi You.

GaiNie.jpg
: I'm sure that they will watch over you.

They sure don't over those poor people who are entrapped on the town square.

5_KillingSpree1.jpg

Devil Leader: Kill them all! Let no one live! We will use the remains of those pitiful mortals to pave the way for the return of our Lord!

Villager: Help!

The demons systematically slaughter everyone in reach. Soon the place is filled with walking corpses of the recently deceased. But amongst the sheep there is one lonely figure that still has some fighting left within.

6_KillingSpree2.jpg

Creature 1: Hahaha, this one looks feisty! Where do you think his path will lead him to?

Creature 2: Kill him slowly, hahaha! Then watching will be more fun!

YanHong.jpg
: No! That is my uncle!

Yan Peng summons two stone golems to his aid and they start to shake things up pretty hard when another villain enters the fray.

Creature 3: Get away from there, boys. This one is mine!

The creature casts a spell of dramatic paralysation.

7_KillingSpree3.jpg

Poor Uncle Peng gets a sword pierced deep into his back.

YanHong.jpg
: Uncle!

The party finally arrives at the place where they should have been ten seconds ago.

YanHong.jpg
: Oh, uncle... [kneels down] It's me, Yan Hong, uncle...

YanPeng.jpg
: Yan Hong? You're such a good boy. Look how you've grown! Come closer, let me look at you...

YanHong.jpg
: Uncle!

GaiNie.jpg
: He's gone, Yan Hong.

Creature: Hahaha... more victims!

8_KillingSpree4.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: You...

Yan Hong takes the whole situation rather well.

9_KillingSpree5.jpg

Measured by his standards that is.

YanHong.jpg
: I'll kill you! I'll kill every last one of you! Look into my face, you dogs! Bring your Master Chi to me! I swear over my uncle's dead body – I'll kill you all! Die! Die! Di...

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong! Yan Hong! What is happening to you?

Yan Hong has suddenly dropped his armour. Either he entered berserker mode or something really bad is going to happen. Whatever it is, I hope it's not permanent.

YanHong.jpg
: I live! And this body... it fits perfectly. Absolutely perfect!

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong... your voice...

YanHong.jpg
: Yan Hong? Hahaha... Yan Hong is dead! He is no more!

You may not have heard it but my hopes just died quietly in the background.

CaiXin.jpg
: Who are you?

YanHong.jpg
: Don't you recognize me? I'm the God of War!

LanWei.jpg
: Chi You!

YanHong.jpg
: You're a smart girl. You really take after Lan Hai.

LanWei.jpg
: If you hurt Yan Hong, I swear that I'll...

YanHong.jpg
: What? What will you do then? I haven't known the warmth of the flesh for over one thousand years. Why should I damage this body so soon after my escape from that rotten tomb? Mei has chosen wisely for me. No, this body will serve me for a long time, girl.

Chi You makes his villainous escape, leaving our heroes behind with their pants down and surrounded by zombies. Lan Wei, now with only Liang Hu left in the active party, successfully burns a hole in their lines and manages to flee. Just have to bring Cai Xin back on board and then we're off after our wayward cleric.

10_CatchUp.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Yin Cheng! Chi You, what have you done to him?

YanHong.jpg
: I didn't kill him. He was just a vessel for a subject of mine who was watching you during your search. Now that my subject has left, this empty shell is useless.

LanWei.jpg
: Does that mean that...?

YanHong.jpg
: Yes. He was a walking corpse ever since you left Skyrose Village.

LanWei.jpg
: I will kill you, you bastard!

YanHong.jpg
: If you kill me, you'll kill Yan Hong as well. Is that what you want?

LanWei.jpg
: Damn you!

YanHong.jpg
: You don't have the power to kill me, girl.

Maybe not but Cai Xin seems to come close no matter how many summoned undead Chi You throws at us.

YanHong.jpg
: I would have never thought that a weakling like you would be so capable!

LanWeiMad.jpg
: You won't get off Bronzetiger Mountain!

YanHong.jpg
: You want me to give up? Then try harder!

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Chi You, don't do that...

Already done. The evil god is gone.

CaiXinSad.jpg
: Don't worry, Lan Wei. Yan Hong will be all right.

LanWeiBroken.jpg
: He attacked me! Cai Xin, how could he do this to me, after we've been together for so long? I don't think that anyone can control him.

GaiNieMad.jpg
: We must defeat him and get Yan Hong back!

LanWeiSad2.jpg
: Thank you for trying to cheer me up. Now let's go and rescue Yan Hong.

CaiXin.jpg
: I'm tired, I don't think that I can walk another step. We're all exhausted, Lan Wei. Maybe we should return to Chengdu and get some rest.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. Yes, you're probably right. That is good, we do that now.
2. No, I must rescue Yan Hong!

Everyone seems to have forgotten a little detail about the city.

Citizen: Excuse me but you may not enter the town, the undead are everywhere. They are very dangerous.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. Thanks a lot for the warning.
→ 2. I don't fear the undead. I will send them back to hell where they belong.

Citizen: No, don't do that. These dead are our ancestors. They are under the control of dark magic, a curse. If you kill them, then you'll also kill our relatives.

LanWei.jpg
: What can I do to save them?

Citizen: I have no idea. We've got to do something, but what? That is beyond my imagination.

LanWei.jpg
: We'll find a solution together.

As hardened aRPG veterans, we of course ignore this warning and go earn some XP. After all, we're not the only one doing the defying here.

11_ZombieHunt.jpg

ZhiYing.jpg
: A young man is swinging his knife as he is fighting a zombie. His eyes are angry. “I will carve out every soul out of those soul sucking, shit filled corpses!”

LanWei.jpg
: What are you doing? You are desecrating the dead! Don't do this!

ZhiYing.jpg
: Don't hurt them and let them take over the city. Let the living stroll outside, is that right?

LanWei.jpg
: But they were our ancestors... even in death, we shouldn't hurt their undead bodies.

ZhiYing.jpg
: You still believe that they are our ancestors? That we should let them live like we live and that they should enjoy every comfort of a mortal life?

LanWei.jpg
: You can't endure watching your ancestors getting mistreated after their death, isn't that true?

ZhiYing.jpg
: Should the living serve the dead and should the dead move freely like the living?

LanWei.jpg
: …

Words are starting to fail me too.

ZhiYing.jpg
: I'm Zhi Ying and have studied by my master since childhood. He taught me the art of taming wild beasts. I tamed a Shanyi after great effort and called it Fei Fei. He is very obedient.

LanWei.jpg
: Now what is the point of this story?

ZhiYing.jpg
: I was venturing through the uncivilized regions of Bronzetiger Mountain one day when I discovered the Shanyi Village. Fei Fei was there, but he didn't want to live there anymore. Still, his heart belongs to his people, a feeling that I can't replace for him.

LanWei.jpg
: I see.

ZhiYing.jpg
: Every creature has its own destiny that is unchangeable. The zombies in this town are dead men, whose soul can't rise to heaven because of black magic. Breaking the spell is the only way to set them free.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand...

ZhiYing.jpg
: My master Wu Tian is studying this difficult zombie problem. We will get rid of them, I swear.

LanWei.jpg
: I want to help.

And we shall, once we got rid of all the other staggering undead in the city.

ZhiYing.jpg
: Zhi Ying is exhausted but he stubbornly chases his goal to find the remaining zombies.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: All zombies and skeletons have been destroyed.

ZhiYing.jpg
: I'm so tired... the undead are really strong. My master thinks that more of them are on the way.

LanWei.jpg
: What should we do?

ZhiYing.jpg
: My master is investigating the problem. I have to question somebody.

LanWei.jpg
: We... hey, wait for us.

Like every good hero, Zhi Ying ignores the pestering filler dialogue and goes straight to a nearby tavern for some rest where we come in contact with his master.

12_TavernChat.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Master Wu Tian, we are the ones that brought this catastrophe upon Chengdu and therefore it is our task to help these people.

Master Wu Tian: Zhi Ying told me as much. He also said that your magic and Kung Fu are magnificent.

LanWei.jpg
: Thank you for your praise, master. Did you find a solution for the zombie problem?

Master Wu Tian: I searched in the old scrolls and they state that the souls that were killed by an evil god will be reborn under his control as brainless undead, who will serve him forever.

LanWei.jpg
: What should we do?

Master Wu Tian: The solution I found was this: In the forest on the east side of town grows something that is known as 'Ghostweed'. Find it and with my magic, I might be able to bring an end to this tragedy.

LanWei.jpg
: I will search for the Ghostweed right away.

The forest features new element types for zombies, most notably the slow but powerful log zombie (at least I think it's supposed to be a log).

13_ZombieGallery.jpg

But there are also more unique critters to face.

14_DeadLove1.jpg

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei, how are you feeling? Don't you recognize me?

TianMei.jpg
: Tian Mei... Tian Mei... Why does that name sound so familiar?

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei, look at me. It's me, Wei Shen!

TianMei.jpg
: Wei... Shen? Ah... my head... my heard hurts so bad...

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei! Tian Mei! How do you feel? You...

TianMei.jpg
: Oh...

WeiShen.jpg
: Are you all right? Tian Mei, is there anything I can do?

TianMei.jpg
: Die!

15_DeadLove2.jpg

One more undead for the statistics.

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei?

LanWei.jpg
: She's fine. I just put her to sleep. How could this happen?

WeiShen.jpg
: We came here in search of the famous doctor Tian Jing, as instructed by Uncle Lei. It took forever to find this hut and Tian Mei almost died out of exhaustion.

LanWei.jpg
: And then?

WeiShen.jpg
: Once we found him, he said that he would have to go away for a while. I asked him to take a look at her, what he did, and... He said that he could cure her but...

LanWei.jpg
: But what?

WeiShen.jpg
: He said that the only way of doing so was to turn her into a zombie. That way she would live for one thousand years. Of course I declined. It was a terrible proposal. Before I could do anything he cackled like a madman and threw curses at us. Everything went dark and there was a terrible stench in the air. When the light came back... oh gods... Tian Mei was turned into an undead!

LanWei.jpg
: He's a necromancer!

WeiShen.jpg
: Now that she's a zombie she doesn't recognize me anymore! Tian Jing ordered her to attack me and I couldn't do anything but run. Fortunately you came just in time. Otherwise she probably would be chewing on my bones right now.

LanWei.jpg
: I will kill this devil and lift the curse!

Finding the evildoer in his hut would be too obvious, so we get some more zombie action instead and a reluctant apprentice to rescue.

16_ZombieHouse.jpg

A kid that is looking for herbs [once nominated for worst name for an extra ever]: “It was horrible. You just arrived in time. I...” The little kid that is looking for herbs still can't recover from his shock.

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Tell me where that bastard Tian Jing is hiding.

A kid that is looking for herbs: “Master... he... he...” The kid looks startled. “He turned into a monster!”

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What are you talking about?

A kid that is looking for herbs: The boy takes a deep breath. “Today a man and a woman came to visit him. He was very pleased when he saw them. Then... oh gods, what happened then was horrible!”

LanWeiMad.jpg
: He cursed her and turned her into a dead wanderer!

A kid that is looking for herbs: How did you know? No, it wasn't that. My master cast a spell that I've never heard before and spirals of light started to emit out of her body. She turned into an undead and started chasing the man who was with her.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What spell?

A kid that is looking for herbs: The child rubs the sweat on his forehead away. “When my master swallowed the spirals of light, he got excited and started to laugh like a madman. His face was getting twisted. His stomach grew. Red fire surrounded him and then he screamed: 'Devil!'”

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What happened next?

A kid that is looking for herbs: “He scared me almost to death and I screamed. He heard me and turned around to face me. His mouth opened so wide as if he wanted to swallow me whole.” The kid shivers. “I tried to run but it was like my feet were frozen. And he got closer... I... I...”

LanWei.jpg
: Take a deep breath. That's right! Now tell us, slowly, what happened next.

A kid that is looking for herbs: I was sure that I would die. But suddenly he turned away from me and released the most terrible roar that I've ever heard. He held his stomach with both hands and started to shake uncontrollably. He ran into the woods. When my head was getting clear again I found myself surrounded by hordes of undead creatures. If it weren't for you then I surely would have died.

LanWei.jpg
: We will know how to proceed once we find him.

Tian Jing fled to a nearby cave and is easy to find.

17_Necromancer1.jpg

Tian Jing: That was quiet dangerous! If my stomach wouldn't be so big then it certainly would have burst!

Stone Statue: You're a greedy fool. If I wouldn't have pulled the fire of the Nine Heavens Essence out of your body then you would have burst into flames! When the Yellow Emperor returned to the Kunlun Mountain so many years ago, he left the recipe of the Nine Heavens Essence with the animal people. Although it can revive the dead, it is not very healthy for people like you. You should have never swallowed it not to mention steal it.

Tian Jing: Hahaha, what do you know? I've practised the Heavenrain Magic for years – the one you taught me by the way – so that I could steal the panacea from the daughters of rich traders and officials. My power has grown tenfold!

Stone Statue: Don't underestimate the power of the Nine Heavens Essence. You are as ignorant like you were when I started teaching you. This time you were lucky that I was there to help. You should be more careful in the future if you want to watch when the plan of our master comes to fruition.

Tian Jing: Yeah, yeah... and how is the plan of our master going to be realized, now that you mention it?

Stone Statue: You better forget about it. Continue to practice your magic, sooner or later you're going to need it.

Tian Jing: If everything goes according to the master's plan then my magic is more than sufficient, yes? [sniffs] What is that smell? Someone is coming!

Stone Statue: You have a keen nose. It is that woman from Baiyue. Keep her busy. I'll leave now.

Show us your face, pretty boy.

18_Necromancer2.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Are you the necromancer Tian Jing? You damn devil! Today I will serve you a taste of death first hand!

Tian Jing: Haha... you're a bold rascal. I really got an appetite today. It will be a pleasure to taste your flesh.

Jing ain't no big deal, his large amount of HP and stun attacks notwithstanding. It's just odd that there is never any explanation who his master could be or what their plans were, so I guess there is nothing left to do but to shrug, mumble 'Probably DLC' and move on. There is a little piece of heaven awaiting us back in the hut.

19_HappyEnd.jpg

Man's opinion:

WeiShen.jpg
: Tian Mei has fully recovered. I've never seen her so healthy before, thank you!

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: I've finally fulfilled my obligation and I hope that you two can now share a happy life.

Woman's opinion:

TianMei.jpg
: I feel like I was reborn. Thank you!

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: Don't thank me. You owe this all to the one that was at your side from the start.

TianMei.jpg
: Yes, of course. I've made my decision. I will spent the rest of my life with him, to love him, like only a woman can.

LanWeiSmug.jpg
: I wish you two the best. Farewell!

So it comes that a love is saved thanks to the power of reverse necromancing. We should have collected enough Ghostweed for Master Tian by now so we go back to the tavern, drop all weed except one, give that one to the old man to solve quest and pick the rest up again = profit & happy ending. Solving this quest removes all the dead that were lying in the streets and has the pleasant effect that there are actually NPCs and most importantly merchants running around again. I thought that I would never get rid of all the panther&foxes sinews and zombie limbs the party was carrying around. There is one trader in particular who tickles Lan Wei's curiosity.

20_TraderChat.jpg

Trader1.jpg
: Young lady, come here and take a look at my goods! They are very different from everything you've seen before.

LanWei.jpg
: How could you know what I've seen before?

Trader1.jpg
: You really are confident, huh?

LanWei.jpg
: What can you do for me?

Trader1.jpg
: I'm Liu Jing. You will need my help one day.

LanWei.jpg
: Leave me alone.

Don't worry, this scene had a point. Not a big one but still.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A zombie infestation, yay!

The solution I found was this: In the forest on the east side of town grows something that is known as 'Ghostweed'. Find it and with my magic, I might be able to bring an end to this tragedy.

Who could've guessed that would be a fetch quest? :roll:

They know that they won't catch me easily, those castrated bastards.

:lol:

The demons systematically slaughter everyone in reach. Soon the place is filled with walking corpses of the recently deceased.

Oh my!

Yan Hong? Hahaha... Yan Hong is dead! He is no more!

Oh noes!

His mouth opened so wide as if he wanted to swallow me whole... But suddenly he turned away from me and released the most terrible roar that I've ever heard. He held his stomach with both hands and started to shake uncontrollably. He ran into the woods.

Gosh!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:
Who could've guessed that would be a fetch quest? :roll:

I think it's more of a pretence to unlock the forest area. The grass is only about three steps away from the entry point. It's further within where you can find the interesting stuff.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Time to press on since Yan Hong is unlikely to save his soul all by himself. But first there is a score to settle with one mean widow making flower.

1_FlowerPick1.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: Look at that flower. It is so beautiful!

LanWei.jpg
: You mean the one on that cliff? Yeah, it truly is.

CaiXin.jpg
: I wonder how it can grow on such a steep hill.

LanWei.jpg
: Let me pick it for you.

CaiXin.jpg
: Don't be dumb.

GaiNie.jpg
: Then allow me.

*Jump Jump*

2_FlowerPick2.jpg

*Pick pick*

(I actually fully expected Gai Nie to trip and die at this point. The game already stole the most productive PC from the roster and would have loved to take away the best fighter as well if Lan Wei wouldn't have been so throughout on her quest hunt. So why not kick someone when he's already down?)

3_FlowerPick3.jpg

*SSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhh*

4_FlowerPick4.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: Gai Nie, are you ok?

GaiNie.jpg
: I couldn't be better. Here.

CaiXin.jpg
: Thank you so much.

At least some gain is made out of this scene when we meet an herbalist who is willing to exchange valuable potion components for this small token of love. Further down our path is an old ruin which is inhabited by rhino people. A very nasty bunch in kilts.

5_BigBad.jpg

Once we got past that piece of work, we encounter a couple that was hiding in a nearby tree while watching Lan Wei and friends doing all the hacking and slashing.

6_Couple.jpg

Man2.jpg
: Thank you for chasing those monsters away. You saved my and Ah Jiao's life.

LanWei.jpg
: Who are you? Why are you hiding in a flower bed and why are these monsters chasing you?

Man2.jpg
: Ah Jiao and I were forced to run away from home. She is the daughter of the master wizard. He thought that I wasn't good enough so I wasn't allowed to marry her. Hence we decided to run. Tradition dictates that if he doesn't catch us before sunrise, he will have to accept me as his son-in-law.

LanWei.jpg
: What are those creatures?

Man2.jpg
: The master wizard is good at summoning terrible giants. It is quiet clear that these are the servants of the wizard. I can't believe that he would have us both killed. I mean, his own daughter? That can't be.

LanWei.jpg
: Very strange. Let's go to Bronzedrum Village together and see what happens.

Believe it or not but the townsfolk have more important problems to deal with than a runaway couple at the moment. Like the ultimate temptations of Evil.

7_TownSquare.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: My people! Dedicate your souls to your God of War and get everything you ever wanted! Land! Fame! Happiness! Immortality!

Citizens: Oh Lord...

YanHong.jpg
: Follow me on my search for my palace and eternal power shall be yours!

Citizens: Eternal power...

LanWei.jpg
: Chi You!

The heroes make another exciting comic book entrance.

YanHong.jpg
: What? You again – this soon?

LanWei.jpg
: A moment ago you ran away from me. This time you won't escape!

YanHong.jpg
: Really? Then come! Try to stop me!

Citizens: I dreamed that I was ordered to follow the God of War.

Citizens: Me too!

Citizens: What shall we do?

Run away from the looks of it. Something I would like to do too right now. Although I probably failed to mention it until now but the difficulty of the combat has been quiet challenging ever since the Tomb of the Yellow Emperor (as far as powering through with superior equipment goes) and this is the point when it reaches one of its first unpleasant peaks. Even possessed Yan Hong still remains a summoner by profession with one or two deadly attack spells at his disposal. His choice of summons however changes from encounter to encounter and what we get here is the most unpleasant: goblins. Not the usual annoying kind of goblins but actually summoner goblins. Which means that if you don't act fast enough here, you get three people against one angry deity and six strong little pests that can be easily replaced in an instant. I end up focusing on Yan Hong since killing summons seems to be a waste of time but they chuck away a good amount of HP since they are most likely going to back-stab you a lot because that damned priest seldom stands still for a second. It all goes down rather ugly with both Gai Nie and Cai Xin KOed, one tactical retreat to get Liang Hu into the party and a badly beaten up Lan Wei but we manage.

YanHong.jpg
: Catch me if you can! I'm on my way to Giant Forest!

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Stop!

CaiXin.jpg
: We have to save Yan Hong... don't give up, Lan Wei.

LanWei.jpg
: I don't want to.

Giant Forest is Trap Woods revised with the same grass, mantrap and tree monsters we met there albeit with some minor upgrades, like the grass creatures spitting things at us now. The mantraps drop a lot of loot making this the best opportunity for one last grind run before the big finale. And big it shall be.

8_GiantChat1.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: Xing Tian, Xing Tian, wake up you brainless bloke!

*Puff*

9_GiantChat2.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: I have returned, brother.

XingTian.jpg
: Chi You... you? That is impossible! You are free?

YanHong.jpg
: Not yet. But my plan to make our dreams come true will soon be realized!

XingTian.jpg
: Chi You... I...

YanHong.jpg
: Don't tell me that you've changed your mind.

XingTian.jpg
: Chi You, the gods will not let you get away with this. You know that. I don't think that I have the strength to face them again.

YanHong.jpg
: What are you saying? Have you forgotten the oath?

XingTian.jpg
: No, but...

YanHong.jpg
: Have you forgotten how Pan Gu treated us? We did what he asked for: we weakened mankind by spreading greed and ambitions among them. And what did he gave us? Nothing! His promises were nothing but lies! Do you still believe that you'll get into heaven as reward for your deeds? Bah! Instead we must get our reward from men!

XingTian.jpg
: We are no match for Pan Gu, my brother.

YanHong.jpg
: Pan Gu and Nu Wa are weak. They fear mankind, their own creation. And their lapdog, the Yellow Emperor, was only able to imprison me in this rotten place after the Baiyun and the animal people betrayed me. Don't you see that? The truth is that they are helpless against our combined power. We are the ones that deserve victory, not them!

XingTian.jpg
: Can't we just leave? I'm tired, Chi You, let me sleep.

YanHong.jpg
: Xing Tian, brother, I can't do this on my own.

XingTian.jpg
: Very well. I guess that I can delay your enemies for a while, while you try to escape your prison. That's all I can do for you! Believe me, Chi You. Please don't ask me for more!

YanHong.jpg
: Thank you, Xing Tian. I still prefer a little help to none at all. If you should change your mind then come to me. You find me in my palace.

XingTian.jpg
: Good luck, brother.

Lan Wei finally catches up for a friendly chat.

XingTian.jpg
: Please, cease your hunt.

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Out of my way!

XingTian.jpg
: All right, then let us fight.

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Your life, Xing Tian, is mine!

They fight. There is a lot of melee pain involved.

XingTian.jpg
: Other than expected, Xing Tian doesn't seem bitter about his defeat. In fact it is quiet the opposite. He seems at peace when he says: “Thank you...”

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Thank me?

XingTian.jpg
: He slowly nods. “Humans were once immortal both in body and soul like the gods. But you reproduced so quickly that the gods were concerned about their own survival, so they sent Chi You and me to bring you catastrophes and sickness. We did it to steal your bodily immortality from you.”

LanWei.jpg
: <Continue to listen to him>

XingTian.jpg
: In return the creator Pan Gu offered to teach us the secret of the five elements. He betrayed us in the end. Myself and another god called Mei urged men to rise against their former masters. This made Pan Gu sent the Yellow Emperor after us in retribution.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: It's incredible that the gods were so afraid of men!

XingTian.jpg
: Xing Tian nods bitterly. “Indeed. Gods can be petty resentful like primitive men. During that time the ancestors of the Baiyun supported us against the tribes from the Middle Realms, who were lead by the Yellow Emperor. When the Baiyun discovered that we were only using them, they turned against us and switched sides.”

LanWei.jpg
: <Continue to listen to him>

XingTian.jpg
: Without an army for our own we of course lost the war. The Yellow Emperor tried to convince us to submit to Pan Gu and beg for his forgiveness. Chi You declined and was imprisoned in his tone cell for his hubris. I couldn't bare to let him suffer this fate all alone, so I joined him. Mei tried to escape only to get her physical body destroyed by the Yellow Emperor. But her soul also perished soon thereafter as far as I know.

LanWei.jpg
: Why didn't the Yellow Emperor destroy the Imperial Stones, so the prison could never be reopened?

XingTian.jpg
: I think that he couldn't bring himself to banish Chi You's mind and body into that stone prison for eternity. We were brothers in arms, never did we thought that we would one day wage war against the other. I also think that he hoped that Chi You would change in time...

LanWeiSad2.jpg
: I couldn't imagine to fight against Yan Hong like this...

XingTian.jpg
: Now where is the fun to be a god? Immortality? The longer you live, the more trouble you seem to cause. Gods and men are really not so different from one another.

LanWeiSad1.jpg
: Maybe it is true what you say. Still, there are many good things in the world that are worth to be remembered...

XingTian.jpg
: Listen to me, girl. The road is blocked. If you want to stop Chi You from returning then you must go around Stoneman Village by passing through Bronzedrum Village. I've had enough of this chaos. I did what I could.

LanWeiShock.jpg
: Xing Tian!

He disappears. Whether he slips back under his rocks or bravely commits suicide in these desperate times no one knows. There are already more chunks of big trouble waiting on the way back.

10_Mei.jpg

Mei.jpg
: It appears that Xing Tian didn't lose all his strength after all!

LanWei.jpg

Mei.jpg
: I'm Mei.

LanWei.jpg
: Mei? But Xing Tian said that you were...

Mei.jpg
: … destroyed? Apparently not. It is quiet hard to really get rid of me, you could consider me a ghost that can live outside the mortal spiral. I can take control of any human or animal body that I desire!

CaiXin.jpg
: You can take over the body of another?

Mei.jpg
: It is a power that only me and Chi You posses. But he can only overtake a mind that is filled with anger and hate. I'm different. I don't have such limitations, if I want someone. I've been working for years on Chi You's plan, to take over Yan Hong's body.

LanWei.jpg
: What are you talking about?

Mei.jpg
: I was the one that pulled Yan Hong's strings and he danced to my melody like a puppet. How else do you think would you have heard from the Imperial Stones? And your father? It was me who poisoned his wine. And for that fool Chi Huan – he died because he had the audacity to recommend you as chieftain of Skyrose Village.

LanWei.jpg
: Yin Chen died because of you too?

Mei.jpg
: Hahaha, yes, of course! The whole time in Skyrose Village he was under my control! Oh, how he suffered while he followed you on your long journey. Luckily for him, I left his body at Bronzetiger Mountain. Now he won't suffer any more, I bet. Hahaha!

GaiNie.jpg
: [Detect evil] You're quiet the nasty one, huh?

Mei.jpg
: Well, well, if that isn't Gai Nie! I must confess we share a history together. It was your ancestor's arrow that killed me when he served under the Yellow Emperor.

GaiNie.jpg
: You killed my wife, haven't you?

Mei.jpg
: The Qin soldiers are not exactly the shiniest coins in the bag. They needed a little help to find your hut. So I gave them a tip about the message.

CaiXin.jpg
: You bitch! How could you do something like that?

Mei.jpg
: Humans hold no interest for me, child. You really think I care about who lives and who dies? I will kill everyone who stands in my way.

LanWei.jpg
: Devil!

Another quick introduction to a new enemy type, the imps.

11_LilDevils.jpg

Don't see anything on the picture? Good, neither did I most of the time and those bastards just love to run away too to disappear for a while. Luckily there are also more rhino people around which are much easier to spot and even come with an extra quest reward for killing 'em all. Mei herself is a death knight, wields a big sword, summons skeletons and throws water magic, effectively combining all the worst qualities in an opponent. At least she doesn't give any death speeches. Carrying on with the wayward couple business everyone has long forgotten about.

12_Wizard.jpg

Wizard.jpg
: Thank you for saving my village.

LanWei.jpg
: Master wizard, are you hurt?

Man2.jpg
: He was wounded while he saved me from one of those terrible creatures.

LanWei.jpg
: What?

Wizard.jpg
: “It is my fault, I wasn't careful enough.” He looks to his daughter tenderly. “Ah Jiao, I'm sorry that I tried to stop the wedding.”

LanWei.jpg
: Even if you had issues with the wedding, you shouldn't have summoned those monsters to kill people! How could you do that?

Wizard.jpg
: I... I just told them to find you and that they are not allowed to hurt anyone. I didn't thought that I would lose control over them and therefore cause such a disaster.

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> Something is wrong with these creatures... I wonder if it has something to do with our presence...

LanWei.jpg
: I will find out what's going on.

It's a good thing Lan Wei rescued some soldiers from rhino people during Mei's rampage.

Soldier: If it hadn't been for you then I would be dead. Thank you.

LanWei.jpg
: Forget it. I'm trying to find out why the monsters are out of control.

Soldier: Look at this! It is a ring that I found on a creature's corpse.

TheRing.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: This could be the clue that we were looking for.

Who else to ask but one of the most prestigious expert of everything trivial and constant provider of bonus XP.

13_LastTuo.jpg

JiangTuo.jpg
: Looks like you're in trouble again, isn't that right? Do you need help?

LanWei.jpg
: You wouldn't believe it Jiang Tuo but there were insane, summoned creatures which were attacking anything that moved!

JiangTuo.jpg
: Summoned creatures? How could that be?

LanWei.jpg
: The giants who were summoned by the master wizard were driven mad. Why on earth did they do that?

JiangTuo.jpg
: Have you searched the bodies of those creatures for anything valuable or unusual?

LanWei.jpg
: I found this...

JiangTuo.jpg
: Hmmm, that ring... there are words... no, not words, but symbols engraved on it. Let me take a closer look.

LanWei.jpg
: <Wait until Jiang Tuo has finished his investigation>

JiangTuo.jpg
: Very odd... when I hold it, I can feel the power vibrating through my body... , it is a destructive power, which grows with every heartbeat.

LanWei.jpg
: That was my impression as well and the reason why I didn't put it on.

JiangTuo.jpg
: One of the giants must have by accident. He got insane and couldn't control himself any more, as it seems.

LanWei.jpg
: It is hard to believe that such a tiny thing like this ring can cause so many troubles.

JiangTuo.jpg
: You're right.

LanWei.jpg
: It is a herald of death. I should throw it away.

JiangTuo.jpg
: No, that is not a good idea. If someone else finds it, it would be a disaster. You can reverse its effect and use it for your purposes, if you can find out how it works.

LanWei.jpg
: I have to be on my way. Let's hope that we will see each other again one day.

JiangTuo.jpg
: Farewell, Lan Wei!

LanWei.jpg
: Farewell, Jiang Tuo.

Thus another familiar face leaves this story for good. The wacky pony tail shall be missed.

Wizard.jpg
: I don't understand it. Why did the giants ignore me? Why did they hurt the villagers?

LanWei.jpg
: Master wizard, I know the reason. This ring was the cause of all of this.

Wizard.jpg
: That ring? Why?

LanWei.jpg
: This ring encourages men to embrace violence. As soon as a monster picked it up, it was overtaken by murderous rage. That why they got out of control.

Wizard.jpg
: I see.

Although he never intends to do something about it apparently. The ring, despite the potential build up, never gets mention again which makes me rather sad. Other than that there is yet another spectacular quest about sharpening a sewing needle with many thrilling options to say no. To the south it is then. There is still stuff to do which is actually important.

Skill Corner

Lan Wei
UnjustRage.png
: Unjust Fury (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Inferno, 30 points of fire + iron, fire weapon and talisman
Additional Effects: It now suffice for an enemy to be in line of fire instead of only the original area of effect to take damage
Notes: Oh ho ho, burn, baby!

Cai Xin
MonkeyJump.png
: Monkey Jump (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Crawling Snake, 60 points of fire
Additional Effects: Increases moving speed for an extra 20%
Notes: Not really necessary since the Swiftness of the Shadows skill does the job quiet nicely already

Gai Nie
BreakingBamboo.png
: Breaking Bamboo (Offensive)
Requires: Senior level of Flying Dragon, Dancing Phoenix, 60 points of iron, active Power of Thunder aura
Additional Effects: Instead of a wall of cutting and slicing mirror Gai Nies, they all pile up on one foe to make some fresh shish kebab
Notes: This would be a nice skill to have, I would bet but the skill seems to be bugged and doesn't do any damage at all. A pity

Unbreakable.png
: Unbreakable (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Hard Rock, 30 points of water + earth
Additional Effects: Duration time of the skill is increased by 5 seconds
Notes: Can't hurt although I'm still sceptical about skills that don't allow you to move while active

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Another day and another village in sight. Fresh air, a lush countryside and hysterical villagers who give you that distinct feeling of being needed. Life is good, if you still have one.

Villager: Help... help me... oh, help! Demons are attacking the village!

LanWei.jpg
: Demons? Don't worry, we'll take care of them!

1_LilAgain.jpg

At least this time the imps don't get the advantage of trees and bushes covering the view. Until they decide to run for the woods and fall into your back in the most crucial moments that is. They are rather low priority concerns though.

2_BigDemon.jpg

The beast that is defiling the altar has a tough hide but once we get its HP down close to zero it actually starts to talk in a familiar voice.

Mei.jpg
: You're surprisingly capable! Since this isn't my true form, I don't have access to my full power.

LanWei.jpg
: Mei!

Mei.jpg
: Very good, girl! I already told you that I can't die.

LanWeiMad.jpg
: No matter what form you take, you won't stop me!

Mei.jpg
: I worked too long to let you simply thwart all my effort! It is unfortunate that Cheng Yu didn't die immediately after I had beaten him! If my timely arrival wouldn't have been so important then you would have seen his scrolls!

LanWeiMad.jpg
: So you killed Cheng Yu!

Mei.jpg
: Oh, surprised? I also killed Yang Chun [not that you would know who that is]. I couldn't allow him to make his prophecies now, could I? My laughter scared him to death! Haha, I had been waiting for this day for years!

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Mei! I won't let you get away that easily!

She was only buying herself some time to regenerate and the fight starts anew although without any considerable highlights. Once her new form is cut into sizeable pieces, the relieved villagers again dare to leave their houses, most importantly the chieftain.

Chieftain: Oh Yellow Emperor! The prophecy is finally upon us!

LanWeiShock.jpg
: The prophecy? What do you mean?

Chieftain: Come to my hut. We will talk there.

4_Chief.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Please tell me what you mean with 'the prophecy'!

I've got a vague idea.

Chieftain: You! You are the ones that the Yellow Emperor had foretold!

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What? Us? Why do you say that?

Chieftain: He turns towards the dark sky outside the window. For a long moment he remains silent, as if he is searching for memories in his mind. Then he mutters to himself: “The last fifty years have gone by so quickly. The prophecy was passed over to me by our last clan leader. Be patient, you'll understand soon enough.”

LanWei.jpg
: Forgive me. Please continue.

Narrator: Fifty years ago...

5_PastChief.jpg

Clan Eldest: Boy... I'm dying... I must tell you something before I leave this world...

Lad: Yes?

Clan Eldest: Do you know the large statue in front of the mountain?

Lad: Yes, it is the Yellow Emperor. He is our patron. And the ancestor of our family was his personal bodyguard. And... and when the Yellow Emperor rose up to heaven, our ancestor settled down here.

Clan Eldest: And you know why?

Lad: Hmm... no.

Clan Eldest: The Yellow Emperor... well, he was wise, he knew what he was doing. He sent our ancestor to this remote place to wait for the ones that will stop Chi You – those that will prevent him from rising again.

Lad: I don't understand. The Yellow Emperor has already killed Chi You...

Clan Eldest: No, boy, he did not... it wasn't in his power to do so. Instead he sealed him in a magical prison, but he knew that the day would come when someone sets him free.

Lad: Oh no...

Clan Eldest: Nearby... is holy ground... in old times it was... the palace of Chi You. His soul... is in a secret room... imprisoned beneath it.

Lad: What is my task?

Clan Eldest: We are here... to guide the ones, who want to stop Chi You... to lead them... to the palace.

Worst execution of a blatant infodump that I've seen so far.

Chieftain: I've been waiting for you for fifty years. Finally, you're here.

LanWei.jpg
: You think that we are the ones that the Yellow Emperor foretold? Did he also made any prophecies about how we're supposed to defeat Chi You by any chance?

Chieftain: He nods. “The old clan leader said to me that the Yellow Emperor believed that greed is the root of all evil and that hate dominates the human heart.”

LanWei.jpg
: Now what does that mean?

Chieftain: It means that you must let go from your worldly desires and think of the greater, the spiritual ideal. Only then you'll be able to defeat the beast Chi You.

Not a chance.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand... Then we will head for the temple of Chi You. Wish us luck!

Chieftain: There is a cave to the east of the village which will lead you to the temple. Be careful, there are many monsters lurking inside!

A little in-between dungeon then. We're on the job! Besides, it's not like anyone else is going to do anything productive, seeing how they ignore the wounded elderly.

6_OldInNeed.jpg

Old Man: Help! Monsters everywhere! Help!

LiangHu.jpg
: I've got a bad feeling about this.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. We have to rescue those people! Liang Hu, help the old man!
2. <Thinks> I should focus on my own affairs. I have urgent business to attend to...

Liang Hu tries to help the old chap back on his feet when suddenly something happens which quickly makes Lan Wei's mood hit rock bottom.

7_HuInTrouble.jpg

Naturally our heroes won't leave Liang Hu behind like this so we just as well ask around for a cure.

Villager: Young lady, you look troubled. What is it?

LanWei.jpg
: My friend... he was turned into stone by a monster.

Villager: Really? Why did it reappear?

LanWei.jpg
: You've seen it before?

Villager: Many years ago, the monster turned several villagers into stone. The village priest wasn't strong enough to remove the magic.

LanWei.jpg
: You don't know a way to remove it?

Villager: All legends that I know say: If the person who cast the magic is killed, then the spell will be broken. But the monster is much too strong for the likes of us.

LanWei.jpg
: I understand. Then I'll kill it.

There was this one suspicious looking rock lying around in a forest nearby.

LanWei.jpg
: <Thinks> there is something wrong with this rock.

For one that it turns out to be alive.

8_Golem.jpg

Golem.jpg
: Who are you. Why do you disturb my slumber?

LanWei.jpg
: Why did you paralyse my friend? Reverse it or, by the sting of the devil, I will break you into thousand pieces!

Golem.jpg
: The animal man is your friend? I will gladly cure him but first you need to do me a favour.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. And if I decline? If I should kill you, he will probably be cured anyway.
→ 2. And what is that favour?

Golem.jpg
: Kill all the villagers in Stoneman Village!

Done.

LanWei.jpg
: Are you completely insane?

Golem.jpg
: Do you want to compromise? Steal the magical instrument from the village priest and I will save your friend.

LanWei.jpg
:
→ 1. That sounds very good.
2. Forget it. With these options I rather take the risk that Liang Hu remains a statue. If I listen to you then he'll be dead for sure.

We go to the priest's hut for a little sidequest robbery.

Wizard: Milady, are you looking for something?

LanWei.jpg
:
1. You're the priest, right? I came to claim your magical instrument. Give it to me! Now!
→ 2. My friend was turned into a stone statue by a monster and I must save him. But the monster will not lift the curse until I bring him your magical instrument.

Wizard: If he was turned into stone then he was probably touched by the creature. Correct?

LanWei.jpg
: Yes, I must help him. I need that instrument from you.

Wizard: The spell is indeed difficult to lift. But let me tell you that this instrument is the only thing protecting us. You can't have it. When we don't have it during our holy celebrations then the gods will punish us.

LanWei.jpg
: What is it with this silly superstition? I will not stand around and do nothing while my friend is dying!

Wizard: … good or evil, listen to your heart.

LanWei.jpg
:
1. I will save my friend. Hand it over!
→ 2. <Thinks about it> Can't I borrow it for a short while? We will return it to you once we've saved my friend.

Wizard: Why should I trust you? As long as I breathe, I will not give away the instrument. That is out of question.

LanWei.jpg
: Very well. Then I'm sorry.

Wizard: If you believe that you can take it by force then you're mistaken.

LanWei.jpg
: Nonsense. Come on, let's fight for it.

So much for choices. Should have bailed out earlier when there was a chance. Now we face another god damn water mage with Cai Xin in the party who suffers some very bad hits during the fight. After the despicable deed is done, we go back to our generous quest giver.

Golem.jpg
: Have you retrieved the magical instrument?

LanWei.jpg
: Here you have it. Please free my friend from the curse.

Golem.jpg
: “You really have it?” The monster gives you a greedy stare. “Excellent! Give me a piece of jade and I will return your friend back to normal.”

LanWei.jpg
: You said that you would save my friend when you get the magical instrument! Now you want jade too!? What kind of evil trickery are you trying on me?

Golem.jpg
: The jade is necessary to lift the curse.

LanWei.jpg
: Very well. Here you have it.

Oh well, if we would have spoken to the wizard before we talked to the golem, we could have avoided this extra cost for more smashing pleasure although the fight against the golem seems a bit tougher. One last and rather important discovery left to be made is the healer in a nearby tavern.

3_SpecialHealer.jpg

The old hag not only revives characters as usual but can also reset all the attribute points of every PC bare the dead or possessed of course. It's a nice way (and only opportunity) to rebalance the team after the recent losses. Other than that there is also a herb merchant nearby where we get rid of all the remaining garbage in the group inventory in exchange for as many angelicas as we can carry since this is the last town visit on our trip and hence chances are high that this will be our last chance to shop before oblivion. Indeed once Lan Wei finally sets foot into the cave, the game reassures her in a classic move that there is no way to back down by locking down the entrance. It's high quality, action-packed dungeon crawling from here on out.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The dungeon of Stoneman Village begins harmless enough by slowly introducing the last new enemy types. First the battle goblin, who, other than his use of sudden leap attacks, is more a mass than class kind of opponent. He also brought his grannies along, apparently.

1_Goblins.jpg

These old girls are the enemy's healing support and as such our first target in every following battle. Surprisingly hard to put down especially when there's a group of them constantly healing one another. However on the upside, they often drop some granny soup which, while not a fairy's pearl, is a splendid potion component, recovering a great deal of both health and mana after raw consumption. Observant readers might have already spotted the exhausted Yan Hong lying nearby and are now praying that this ordeal may find its merciful end soon. It's just wishful thinking of course since this is one of those cruel gimmick levels where you can see the goal fairly early, only to realize that you will have to make an hour long detour to actually get there but we reach him eventually.

YanHong.jpg
: Yan Hong falls to the ground, holding his head in grief with both hands.

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong!

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei... my... my... No!

LanWeiBroken.jpg
: Yan Hong?!

YanHong.jpg
: Kill... me! Do... it!

LanWeiBroken.jpg
: Yan Hong, what's happening to you? Yan Hong!

YanHong.jpg
: Hahaha! Yan Hong is no longer with us! Come, Lan Wei, it's time for you to die!

LanWeiShock.jpg
: What? You... Chi You?

Chi You proudly presents this autumn's freak gallery.

2_YanHongFight.jpg

A deathknight and two undead mages. Those are leagues away from the goblins he had in stock before and this fight passes by quickly. Yan You simply disappears after taking a few hits and we are allowed to carry on with some more crawling.

3_MoreG.jpg

More battle goblins and a lot more grannies are standing between us and final victory but we boldly push forward, leaving their broken corpses behind us on our path to

4_Peace.jpg

...Bambi's playhouse? Seriously, this place is the definition of calm and dull. Even the music has now switched to a sleep inducing yoga track. After passing by some grazing deer, white rabbits and a cave our party doesn't dare to enter because the distinct smell of blood, we finally meet someone in this green wasteland.

5_Trader.jpg

Trader1.jpg
: You're finally here.

LanWei.jpg
: What? You've been expecting us?

Trader1.jpg
: Didn't I tell you in Chengdu that you would need my assistance?

LanWei.jpg
: How can you help us?

Trader1.jpg
: I know of your brave effort to prevent Chi You from rising again. You hurried all the way from the realms of the Animal People to this place, day and night, without a moment of rest, and you must be exhausted.

LanWei.jpg
: Yes. But if we can't stop Chi You, none of it will matter.

Trader1.jpg
: I have something beautiful. Masterpieces you could say. But they aren't cheap.

LanWei.jpg
: Great. Let me see.

Last chance for a good trade. Liu has the best equipment money can buy if the price tag is any indicator. His stock is random though hence some reloads are probably necessary to get something worthwhile out of him. The group's current self made stuff already surpasses anything we could ever buy in stores so we just ignore his offer.

LanWei.jpg
: How did you get here all by yourself? How did you know that we would need your help?

Trader1.jpg
: Haha, is there anything in the world that I don't know?

LanWei.jpg
: … You're a really strange man.

Trader1.jpg
: All right, I can't go any further. Our shared destiny ends here. I wish you the best.

LanWei.jpg
: Thanks.

Sounds like there'll be trouble ahead. Better make those panorama shots now while the peace lasts.

6_Scenery.jpg

This waterfall also looks nice.

7_Waterfall1.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: This is so beautiful. Look at those deer. They're completely tame!

LanWei.jpg
: This is so... exciting. It's hard to believe how vivid this place feels.

CaiXin.jpg
: We haven't seen the sun for days. And there are no demons here too. Thank the gods – that's all I can say to that.

Stranger: That's why I don't allow those vile beasts to trespass into my domain.

The deer suddenly run away in panic.

8_Waterfall2.jpg

LanWei.jpg

Stranger: Can you smell the flowers? Aren't they marvellous? Look at the falls. Gorgeous. Isn't it intoxicating? Can you imagine what this place looked like one thousand years ago?

CaiXin.jpg
: Huh... this is starting to creep me out...

Stranger: Are you really this forgetful? We already met two times.

LanWei.jpg
: Mei!

Mei.jpg
: Yes. What do you think of my new body. Neat, isn't it?

LanWei.jpg
: Get out of our way!

Mei.jpg
: Do you really believe that you can stop Chi You? You're just a little girl, travelling with a band of fools.

CaiXin.jpg
: You're underestimating us, you hyaena.

Mei.jpg
: No, I'm not. I was the one that brought the Ring of Temptation into this world, I, who planted the seed of greed and ambition into the human soul. The more those two blossomed within you, the less you were able to face the gods.

LanWei.jpg
: The Ring of Temptation?

Mei.jpg
: My gift to your kind. It has weakened your souls significantly over the years. You are but mere insects compared to us.

LanWei.jpg
: You are completely insane. Out of the way.

Mei.jpg
: You can't win. Turn back and return to Skyrose Village. If you don't want to die that is.

LanWei.jpg
: [Takes a battle stance] This is the last warning. Get lost, or...

Mei.jpg
: So you want to do this the hard way, huh?

Absolutely. Shall we dance, milady?

9_MeiFight.jpg

Sadly there is no room for tame deer in a boss battle so we get the old cliché of raining blood and dropped in enemies instead. This fight is very similar to the second one against Chi You if you add some steroids to the mix. Key difference here being that Mei can get three summoners instead of just two, meaning that the party can and probably will get swarmed soon. Another problem is that Mei herself is a mage so she won't just run over to you and chasing her around will sooner or later awaken attention from the other enemy groups (often including even more summoners). The smart thing to do here is to use those raising numbers for your own ends by placing the heroes on one end of the bridge with either Gai Nie or Liang Hu as a spearhead to wear those attack waves down. Then run back to Mei and continue to beat her silly until she disintegrates, finally bringing an end to her villainy.

Chapter eight concludes with Lan Wei reaching the forgotten temple of the God of War. Chi You can't be far away.

Skill Corner

Liang Hu
WhippingThunder.png
: Whipping Thunder (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Unleash the Monkey Spirit
Additional Effects: Walking speed is increased by 2% for every 5 points of fire
Notes: Not much to write about except that those developers really like to put thunder in their names

Gai Nie
NomadWind.png
: Nomad’s Wind (Defensive)
Requires: Senior level of Power of Thunder
Additional Effects: Increases backstabbing damage by 1 for every 5 points of iron
Notes: It feels kind of strange, seeing a paladin happily stabbing his troubles away. As long as it works, I guess.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The surroundings of the temple are yet again stuffed with more goblin creatures and I must admit that their habit to run away to nearby groups is really starting to annoy me. Minor delays aside, the temple itself is not hard to find.

1_TempleEntr.jpg

Either Chi You doesn't mind the constant drops of blood into his living room or there must be a secret entrance to the underground somewhere. Lan Wei investigates further.

2_TempleIntre.jpg

The tablet says 'The God of Fire is angry. The people of Baiyue must pay for their sin. The God of War is reborn in the ever shifting fire.' so nothing new here.
More interesting are the pillars which are engraved with ancient secrets of the martial arts. Last skill upgrades in other words of which you can chose only one for each character. As an additional annoyance, you can only choose between two at a given time. If the skill isn't there then you must hit the re-roll option in the dialogue until it pops up and even then it will only mention the name of the new ultimate skill you'll get, so there is a bit of guessing involved which name fits which skill (and yes, Yan Hong has a pillar too. So much for keeping up the suspense). There are overall 41 new skills for the four heroes present so I hope nobody will take offence if I keep their description brief later on.
Anyway, since searching the ruins for clues doesn't provide any new information, the party tries the nearby surroundings.

3_Statue.jpg

There is something engraved in this familiar looking statue: 'Barren soil, floods, seas out of blood. Behold the rebirth of the God of War.'

CaiXin.jpg
: Waterfall, floods... blood...

LanWei.jpg
: What does this sentence mean?

CaiXin.jpg
: It seems like ChiYou went to the great waterfall. There should be a pool of blood nearby.

LanWei.jpg
: But there was nothing there when we went past the first time.

CaiXin.jpg
: The cave! The pool of blood must be within the cave.

GaiNie.jpg
: You are right, we must hurry back.

To the blood cave!

4_SecTemple.jpg

Hmm, looks rather harmless despite the foreboding name.

5_SpiderAmbush.jpg

Ok, maybe not. Big spiders will drop in out of nowhere from time to time but we aren't wimpy, ill equipped adventurers anymore, so we welcome the challenge. They are not the only familiar foe around here however.

6_NewSnakeKing.jpg

Guardian Demon: Humans haven't visited this place for many years. Are you here to sacrifice yourself?

LanWeiMad.jpg
: No! We are here for your master. We are against Chi You!

Guardian Demon: You are not even worthy to look at my master. Do you know what this place is called or why I'm guarding it?

LanWeiMad.jpg
: Stop wasting my time. This thing over there, what is it?

Guardian Demon: This is the sacrificial altar! Anyone who comes here to pay tribute to my master is tied on there to cleanse it with their pitiful bodily fluids. Tears, blood, faeces. Sooner or later it will all become ambrosia for my master.

GaiNie.jpg
: Disgusting.

Guardian Demon: Disgusting? Perhaps, but that is the point! My master will have his boot on the throat of humanity. You would be well advised, mortal, to start crawling now. If your pleas for mercy should satisfy me, I may be tempted to kill you quickly... perhaps a clear cut across the throat, hmm?

LanWeiMad.jpg
: And you would be well advised to step aside quickly, or you'll die together with your master, lapdog of evil.

Guardian Demon: I don't have the patience for this idiotic babbling! Come! Let us end this. As long as I live you'll never leave this temple.

GaiNie.jpg
: You have been warned. En Garde!

Talk about running down nostalgia lane. Although the Snake King learned one new trick. He can now summon two red snakes which are surprisingly strong. The party uses the extra space to lure the big fellow away from his guards and Gai Nie takes him on mano-a-mano. Devil drops some ceremonial items that could get us into the temple but cruel Chi You throws one last guardian into Lan Wei's way on her return.

7_ZLanXiong.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Father! It is Lan Xiong! He really is alive!

LanXiong.jpg
: Intruders on this holy ground will be executed!

LanWei.jpg
: Father, it's me! Lan Wei!

LanXiong.jpg
: Watch it!

LanWei.jpg
: Don't you recognize your own daughter anymore?

LanXiong.jpg
: Intruders will be decapitated!

He throws some magic missiles her way.

LanWei.jpg
: Oh, how terrible! He has lost his mind!

Chi You appears in a menacing puff of smoke.

YanHong.jpg
: Hahaha. You want to cure him again, child? I can help you!

LanWei.jpg
: Liar!

YanHong.jpg
: Am I? Unlife is a state of being I'm all too familiar with. The undead are mine to command and I can do with them what I want. If I tell this creature to murder his only living child... hahaha... then he won't hesitate.

LanWei.jpg
: Father, don't! I'm your daughter!

YanHong.jpg
: Kill them, Lan Xiong. Let them suffer.

GaiNie.jpg
: Brace yourselves!

Lan Xiong is tough for a single opponent, no doubts about it. Not only that but the poison within his body still seems to take effect, making him enter some sort of berserker mode in regular intervals in which you better keep your distance. Opinions are divided about whether his second and last demise was a little too graphic for the younger audience.

8_DLanXiong.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Father! I was foolish to search for the Imperial Stones. This is all my doing.

CaiXin.jpg
: Lan Wei, don't say that!

GaiNie.jpg
: Chi You and Mei deceived us. They had thousands of years to put this scheme together. You couldn't have foreseen this.

LanWei.jpg
: Father... I swear that I'll avenge you.

Time to end this. The portal to Chi You's inner temple has been opened.

LanWei.jpg
: We must stop him!

Get ready for the mind altering finale of this epic tale of human misery. Drum rolls, please.

Skill Corner

Phew, all right, here we go.

Lan Wei
5oStr.png
: The five Elements of the Spirit (Offensive)
Requires: ---
Additional Effects: +30% attack skill, +10% HP-absorption (needs 90 points of wood, Wood Talisman and wood weapon), increased attack speed (90 points of fire, Fire Talisman and fire weapon)

ChaoticHeart.png
: Poison of the Chaotic Heart (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of wood + 30 points of water
Additional Effects: Fires five poisonous clouds, +10% attack skill, +10% chance to poison enemies

PlaysWithFire.png
: Flying Dragon plays with fire (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of fire + 30 points of water
Additional Effects: Increased range, +10% attack skill, +10% chance to set enemies on fire

AhornTalisman.png
: Acer Talisman (Defensive)
Requires: 60 points of wood + 60 points of water
Additional Effects: Increases the duration of the special effects of skills (like poisoning for Poisonous Wave) by 50%

NailedToTheGround.png
: Nailed to the Floor (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of wood
Additional Effects: Duration and power of the slow effect is increased significantly, also requires active Wood Talisman and a water weapon

DivineCremation.png
: Godly Cremation (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of earth + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: Number of attacks are upped to five

TalismanOfZhurong.png
: Talisman of Zhurong (That's a god of fire if you didn't know, also defensive)
Requires: 60 points of fire + 60 points of earth
Additional Effects: +10% attack speed, +100% anti-abnormality, +60 seconds in duration

GoldenSilkworm.png
: Poison of the Golden Silkworm (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of iron + 30 points of wood
Additional Effects: +50% attack skill, decreased cooldown, you can also maximize the damage by sacrificing the extra group HP-absorption effect while using Wood Talisman + metal weapon

HellishFlame.png
: Hellish Flame (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of fire + 30 points of iron
Additional Effects: Significantly decreased cooldown

SilentFear.png
: Silent Fear (Defensive)
Requires: 60 points of earth + 60 points of water
Additional Effects: Enemy defence is weakened by 20 and all support buffs are removed, duration increased by 20 seconds

Liang Hu
BloodyWinds.png
: Dance of the Blood Winds (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of fire + 30 points of iron also something called Brutality
Additional Effects: Two attacks in one

IceClaw.png
: Iceclaw (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of iron
Additional Effects: +30% attack skill, +20% chance to freeze enemies when using a water weapon

TheMountainTai.png
: The Mountain Tai (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of iron + 30 points of earth
Additional Effects: +20% attack skill, area effect when used with Strength of the Earth

PowerOfHeaven.png
: Power of Heaven (Defensive)
Additional Effects: +60 seconds in duration

DriveBack.png
: Drive back the enemy (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of iron + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: Any cooldown for the skill is completely removed

MovingMountains.png
: Moving Mountains (Offensive)
Additional Effects: +10% chance to stun enemies, +1% for every five points of earth, only works together with Strength of the Earth and a earth weapon

CrushingEarth.png
: Crushing the Earth (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of earth + 30 points of iron
Additional Effects: Increased range, +20% attack skill, +10% chance for a stun effect with the usual aura/weapon combo

SonOfTheEarth.png
: Son of the Earth (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of earth + 30 points of water
Additional Effects: +100% anti-shock, +20 base defence and skill doesn't require mana any more

Sunfire.png
: Sunfire (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of fire + 30 points of earth
Additional Effects: +50% attack skill, +30% chance to set enemies on fire with a fire weapon

FearFilledHeart.png
: Fearful Heart (Offensive)
Additional Effects: Attack power of enemies is decrease by 1 for every 5 points of water

HeavensFallEarthNoise.png
: Heaven's fall and Earth's rumble (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of earth
Additional Effects: Increased duration, enemy's attack power decreased by 10

AwakeInnerStrength.png
: Awakening of inner strength (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of wood + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: No more HP loss

Cai Xin
PhoenixScream.png
: Scream of the Phoenix (Offensive)
Additional Effects: Receive more rage for every slain enemy

Soulhunter.png
: Soul Hunter (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of wood + 30 points of iron
Additional Effects: +20% attack skill and +20% HP-absorption during a final combo attack

WithoutShadow.png
: Without a Shadow (Defensive)
Requires: 60 points of water + 60 points of fire
Additional Effects: +20% chance to dodge an attack, +60 seconds in duration

TigersWrath.png
: Tiger's Wrath (Offensive)
Additional Effects: +60 base defence for 40 seconds after a successful hit during a final combo attack

Blizzard.png
: Blizzard (Offensive)
Additional Effects: +75% attack skill and pushes enemies back during a final combo attack

HuntForTheSun.png
: Hunt for the Sun (Defensive)
Additional Effects: Enemies can no longer use dodge, duration increased by 60 seconds

Roseclouds.png
: Roseclouds are dividing the sky (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: +50% attack skill and enemies that are hit have a harder time to dodge for 40 seconds, all during a final combo attack, naturally

QuickThunder.png
: Quick Thunder (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of wood + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: +30% attack skill and increased duration for the stun effect during a final combo attack

DanceOfTheCrane.png
: Dance of the Crane (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of iron + 30 points of water
Additional Effects: +40% chance for a critical hit

Gai Nie
FlashAndThunder.png
: Flash and Thunder (Offensive)
Additional Effects: Two attacks in one, requires Dragon Rising

AllRuling.png
: All-ruling (Offensive)
Additional Effects: +100% attack skill, can drive whole groups of enemies back, requires Dragon Rising and active Power of Thunder

DragonDay.png
: Dragon flies through the day (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of iron + 30 points of water
Additional Effects: +10 seconds in duration

ArtOfSwiftness.png
: The Art of Swiftness (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of fire
Additional Effects: Aura now works for all team members

Moloch.png
: Moloch (Offensive)
Requires: 90 points of earth + 30 points of iron
Additional Effects: Skill gets an area of effect, requires earth weapon

Resurgence.png
: Resurgence (Defensive)
Additional Effects: +10 seconds in duration

Invincible.png
: Invincible (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of earth

HighWind.png
: High winds go through falling leaves (Offensive)
Additional Effects: +20% attack skill, reaches all enemies nearby

WatchfulGuard.png
: Watchful Guard (Defensive)
Additional Effects: The original text says 'Base defence increased at cost of movement speed' but since Gai Nie can't move while this aura is active, I guess it should either mean that defence is increased or Gai Nie can now actually move

NomadsThunder.png
: Nomad's Storm (Defensive)
Requires: 90 points of water + 30 points of iron

Pussycat669

Liturgist
1_Dung1.jpg

'Hi! I'm the final dungeon! Welcome to pain!'

Fun facts about this place:
1. Only the walking dead walking around so no more running away from us
2. You'll likely gain two to three levels before you reach the bottom (which is quiet a lot at this point)
3. Those extra levels are well earned
4. You will wish that these critters run away
5. They won't though
6. In short, the trip through this dungeon is long, hard and frustrating and requires of you to exploit every technique you've learned
7. So yeah, it's a last dungeon alright

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Here's a rundown of the individual levels:

2_Dung2.jpg

The first level is like the devil's lure to the abyss, lulling the hapless group into an unfounded feeling of safety. XP come cheap and the bones around here are easily dealt with.

3_Chest.jpg

Finally, a real treasure chest! And it only took eight full chapters to find one!

4_Pot.jpg

Those people sure ain't vegans. (+Friendship)

I'll skip level two since it's more of the same although we now have sporadic appearances of undead monks who can heal themselves and others while unleashing frost and curses upon our heroes on top of that. By far the most hated creeps in my book. It is not before level three however for the real light show to start.

6_Dung4.jpg

Heavy hitters, archers who use spread shots (very unpleasant) and deathknights who can now summon more skeletons themselves. Also every undead except the monks can now buff himself so a careful advance and a lot of Lan Wei's stick beating are vital for the group's survival.

As for level four, well, let's just say that this is the point where the really unpleasant stuff starts to happen.

7_Retreat.jpg

To give you a rough idea about the scale of this level I just checked if the game stores the current playing time spent and to my great misfortune it does. It took me about six hours to get through. Please let me emphasize: six beeping hours. That's half the amount of time we needed for the Tomb of the Yellow Emperor including all the time spent on grinding and fighting our way out again. As for the reason why, I can show you what you're likely going to see after every second step or so.

5_Dung3.jpg

The enemy line-up shows two little changes. There are new big skeletons that cast some group buff I've yet got to identify and archers are now replaced by spear throwers who only hit one target but for greater damage. Still, at least it takes some pressure from Lan Wei who had to suffer the most under the constant barrage of arrows although that doesn't make things much easier.

We remain vigilant and although the lack of food not to mention sleep starts to take effect on the higher brain functions, we finally reach level five which is basically just one small room packed with adversaries.

8_Dung5.jpg

Bah! Does someone honestly believe that this is going to stop us any more? Onwards, to glory!

GameOver.jpg

Hell, it was fun to pretend. A more calculating approach later, we finally enter Chi You's sanctum.

9_YanHongFight1.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong!

YanHong.jpg
: Yan Hong? Yan Hong is no more! Or have you already forgotten?

LanWei.jpg
: Don't let it go to your head, demon. We will save him!

YanHong.jpg
: Hahaha! Foolish mortals! You dare to attack me? I'm invincible!

GaiNie.jpg
: You can't have him!

YanHong.jpg
: You know nothing! Your ancestors have deprived me of decades, but I will repay them with blood... and I'll start with you!

After all, it is impossible to totally not have a multi-stage final boss fight in an Asian rpg.

Stage 1
Stage1.jpg

Yan You comes with his old jokes about the deathknight and the skeletons but this time there is enough room to manoeuvre and since his summons move a lot slower than himself, the evil god soon finds himself isolated. That he can now heal himself doesn't help him much in such a situation. He seems to get tired of this game rather quickly though and makes a demon explode into Lan Wei's face.

10_YanHongFight2.jpg

CaiXin.jpg
: Lan Wei! Are you hurt?

LanWei.jpg
: I'm fine.

YanHong.jpg
: Do you really think that you could defeat me this easily?

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong! Yan Hong, let go of the demon!

YanHong.jpg
: Never. If I don't get what I want, girl, you shouldn't all the more!

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong! It is me, Lan Wei. Don't you recognize me?

She gets some more fire magic thrown into her direction. You would think she would have learned her lesson after what happened with her father.

LanWei.jpg
: Ah!

CaiXin.jpg
: Lan Wei! Lan Wei!

LanWei.jpg
: Never mind. I have to bring Yan Hong back even if it kills me. If I can't do that then there will be no way for me to defeat Chi You anyway. Yan Hong, my love, please wake up.

CaiXin.jpg
: Stop it, Yan Hong! You're killing her!

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong, how could you've forgotten the bracelet that I gave you?

Yan You suddenly turns around.

YanHong.jpg
: No... don't! My body... it is rebelling against me!

He starts to spin out of control which looks rather goofy.

YanHong.jpg
: Lan... Wei...

YanHong.jpg
: Never! I will not allow it!

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei...

11_Flashback1.jpg

Lan Wei: Look, Yan Hong. There is nothing left.

Kid1.jpg
: Yeah...

Lan Wei: We could grow flowers here forever and ever, you know?

Kid1.jpg
: Sounds like a good idea.

12_Flashback2.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong, look, the flowers in the valley are in full bloom!

YanHong.jpg
: Isn't Skyrose Valley beautiful at this time of year! Hey! Those are the flowers that we planted when we were children. Remember that?

13_Flashback3.jpg

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei, what are you doing?

LanWei.jpg
: Nothing. I'm just practising my magic.

YanHong.jpg
: Why?

LanWei.jpg
: Because I don't want that you have to protect me all the time! You were wounded back in Redclay Village because of me! I practice, to get better.

14_Flashback4.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: It's a bracelet that I kept for you. As long as you carry it, the gods will protect you, and I will have to worry less about your safety.

LanWei.jpg
: Haha, you dumb bonehead. Everybody knows that I'm the better fighter of the two of us. Have some faith in me too.

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei...

Yan You casts a spell on the rock behind him then he comes running towards Lan Wei.

Chi You: No, this can't be...

YanHong.jpg
: Lan Wei! It's me! I'm back!

LanWei.jpg
: Yan Hong... is it really you...?

15_Revelation1.jpg

Oh, right, there was that thing about Chi You's body. Should have looked it up in my journal.

16_Revelation2.jpg

Come on! Show your true form already!

17_Revelation3.jpg

Ok, seen it. You can put it back now.

Chi You: Hahaha... my day has come. The Baiyun owe me blood and now is the time to collect.

Stage 2
Stage2.jpg

A hellhound, a really big axe and a can full of fiery death. I honestly have no idea how you're supposed to even have a chance without Yan Hong's constant healing support. Since the reborn deity uses River of Life as well, it is unavoidable for Lan Wei to close in and poke him from time to time, which is always risky. Chi You's hellhound will spontaneously breath fire or charge into somebody if it is not engaged in melee so we try to keep it occupied with our own little dog from hell. Other than that all we can do is to hit Chi You as fast and hard as possible. He doesn't seem too impressed.

Chi You: Hahaha, wonderful! Magnificent! This body is so strong!

LiangHu.jpg
. Lan Wei, watch out!

Liang Hu, heroic as ever, throws himself between Lan Wei and an approaching wave of fire.

18_Guarding.jpg

LanWei.jpg
: Liang Hu! Are you all right?

LiangHu.jpg
. I'm fine. That's strange. Something must have weakened his magic!

Chi You: What... what have you done to me?

CaiXin.jpg
: The Imperial Stones! It is because of the Imperial Stones!

GaiNie.jpg
: Use the stones. They weaken him!

LanWei.jpg
: Yes! Yes, come closer, you devil. Show me what you've got!

Chi You: Don't start to think that you can defeat me with those damn rocks!

Before we get to stage three, let me reassure you that all the talk about Chi You being weakened is just that: talk.

Stage 3
Stage3.jpg

Chi You stops to use spells at this point and rather focuses on dealing out big chunks of melee damage. Just as the fight starts to get dull, he summons a weaker mirror image of himself which unleashes all sorts of doom spells on us but it can't stop the heroes from closing in on him.

19_Final1.jpg

Come on team! Let our powers combine!

20_Final2.jpg

There is no more holding back.

21_Final3.jpg

There is no remorse.

22_Final4.jpg

There is only pain.

By the way, nuclear launch detected, motherfucker!

23_Final5.jpg

Burn!

24_Final6.jpg

And all that was left was silence.

25_Final7.jpg

Time to sit back and enjoy the ending slide.

26_End.jpg

It is done!
Chi You's dreams are collapsing, so is his palace. He howls and fights in all his anger but he is no match for the power of the Imperial Stones. We seal him again. Sunshine floods the lands of Baiyue and peace returns with its pure light.
Father... Uncle... are you well? Father... Uncle... your Lan Wei... she has grown a lot.
Skyrose Valley... my home... we are back!

---

Yan Hong, Liang Hu and I return to Skyrose Village, and the people declare me chieftain. Gai Nie and Cai Xin set out to live their lives as adventurers, aiding the poor, the helpless and the innocent. We will often hear stories about their heroic deeds in the coming years.

---

Is it over? The seeds that Mei planted have taken root and sprout within the soul of humanity. Maybe one day another Chi You will emerge. If that happens, will we be able to stop him?

Kinda underwhelming epilogue but it turns out that there's also a completion score at the end. Finally, a testament of my unending strive for perfection which lead me to spent almost one hundred real time hours on this game. In that light, a perfect score is really the least I c-

27_Score.jpg

...I'm at a loss for words here.

Skill Corner

Yan Hong
DivinePresence.png
: Divine Presence (Defensive)
Additional Effects: +100% anti-abnormality

So there you had it. Seal of Evil, mostly uncut and in all its uncensored glory. I'll try to add the missing endings once I get a few months rest from this somewhat stretched yet engaging experience. My thanks to everyone for their enduring interest and special thanks to Crooked Bee and Yeesh whose tireless effort to bring this LP on the next page shall hereby be rewarded with the prestigious Bump of Valour.

Yeesh

Magister
You crazy son of a bitch, I can't believe you made it all the way through. Congratulations.

:bravo:

You got at least 99.5/100 in my book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom