Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Nael

Arcane
I'm gonna give MM7 another spin. Haven't played it in years.

I'm thinking of making a "Far East" type party consisting of the usual Cleric and Sorcerer but going with Monk and Ninja instead of Paladin/Knight for tank and Thief/Ranger for the lockpicking. Would this be "broken" or should it work? I can't see why it wouldn't.

EDIT: Scratch that. I was thinking Ninja was a possible class in MM7 when it is not. Bummer :(

EDITX2: Holy shit! They added MM7 and MM8 to GOG.COM! Anyone know if the 3D Acceleration works in Win7 for the GOG version?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nael said:
I'm gonna give MM7 another spin. Haven't played it in years.

I'm thinking of making a "Far East" type party consisting of the usual Cleric and Sorcerer but going with Monk and Ninja instead of Paladin/Knight for tank and Thief/Ranger for the lockpicking. Would this be "broken" or should it work? I can't see why it wouldn't.

EDIT: Scratch that. I was thinking Ninja was a possible class in MM7 when it is not. Bummer :(

IIRC the dark side monk can be upgraded to a ninja. I wouldn't go dark with that party though, light is much better for melee. And definitely go with thief over ranger. They have the biggest melee damage output in the game (well, monks might have more with hammer hands but a lot of late game stuff is immune to body magic) while rangers are shit in almost every way imaginable. GM axe doesn't even come close to making up for it.

DaveO

Erudite
I've some numerous issues posted for MM7 and MM8 for the hardware acceleration on the GoG forums. Something sounds wrong with that release since I run into no issues with the retail versions of the game.

Nael

Arcane
DaveO said:
I've some numerous issues posted for MM7 and MM8 for the hardware acceleration on the GoG forums. Something sounds wrong with that release since I run into no issues with the retail versions of the game.

For MM7 with the "Hardware Accelerated 3D" turned on it locks up when trying to go into the game itself after creating my party. Turn it off and the game works fine. I'm not surprised and don't care overmuch to tell the truth, but I wouldn't mind paying $6 if the GOG version worked with the better GFX. It'd probably be a better idea for me to ask on the GOG forums proper.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
MM7 with hardware acceleration had some strange things even in retail. mixed up monsters' colors were the worst. for example ghost was normal white, while the second tier was (if I remember correctly) violet, and the top one red (originally, they were supposed to be gray and black). others were looking just the same.
the only thing accelaration does is I think better spell effects, and they weren't much in the first place, so it isn't that useful. I always turned it off.

Nael

Arcane
hoverdog said:
MM7 with hardware acceleration had some strange things even in retail. mixed up monsters' colors were the worst. for example ghost was normal white, while the second tier was (if I remember correctly) violet, and the top one red (originally, they were supposed to be gray and black). others were looking just the same.
the only thing accelaration does is I think better spell effects, and they weren't much in the first place, so it isn't that useful. I always turned it off.

Huh. I could've sworn the acceleration improved the monster sprites.

/shrug

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Right, finally started the MM7 I installed like a year ago. Word has reached me that it's a little declining over MM6, but after I whacked a dragon for half an hour, running around it like a retard, I immediately knew it retains MM6's best quality - the ability to break the game in every possible way :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Darth Roxor said:
Right, finally started the MM7 I installed like a year ago. Word has reached me that it's a little declining over MM6, but after I whacked a dragon for half an hour, running around it like a retard, I immediately knew it retains MM6's best quality - the ability to break the game in every possible way :smug:

MM6 doesn't hold a candle to 7 in terms of exploits.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
okay bros, got a porblem. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but now I'm seriously thinking it's some sort of a bug:

I'm clearing the countryside of goblins, but the bastards refuse to attack any party member other than number 3, a dwarf cleric. No other character gains damage, only this one, not even the sorcerer, who has lower AC and HP.

Anyone had the same or heard about something like that?

mr.doo

Educated
Has anyone played M&M IX ? Is it any good ?
If not what's wrong with it ?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
mr.doo said:

I briefly played it. Seemed ok. Most of the complaints revolve around the gameworld being empty, presumably because it was rushed out too early.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Most enemies have a "hated" race that they will concentrate their attack on if it's in the party. You will feel the pain again when you get to the troglodytes.

mr.doo

Educated
Mastermind said:
mr.doo said:

I briefly played it. Seemed ok. Most of the complaints revolve around the gameworld being empty, presumably because it was rushed out too early.

Nevertheless, installing now.

Luzur

Good Sir
mr.doo said:
Mastermind said:
mr.doo said:

Nevertheless, installing now.

install the fanpatch if you do, it inclines the game much.

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Most enemies have a "hated" race that they will concentrate their attack on if it's in the party. You will feel the pain again when you get to the troglodytes.
I've always liked that idea but I've never thought it was the best implementation.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
MMXI said:
Sceptic said:
I've always liked that idea but I've never thought it was the best implementation.

I finished the game several times and never even noticed it.

MMXI

Arcane
Mastermind said:
MMXI said:
Sceptic said:
I finished the game several times and never even noticed it.
Depends on your party, I guess.

DaveO

Erudite
After 30 pages for this thread, and there is almost a tie between MM6 and MM7. However, how the *bleep* does MM9 get more votes than MM8? :x

MMXI

Arcane
More specifically, how the *bleep* did MM9 get more votes than MM1 and MM8, and the same number as MM2?

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom