Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play System Shock (blind)! (Update #4 uploaded!)

Peter

Arcane
You heard me, faggots!

:yeah:

Well, it's not a completely blind LP. I'd gotten half way through the Reactor level before starting this LP, but that's still very early in the game, I believe. I'll be playing with the WASD+mouselook mod and bringing you the screenshots in Glorious 800x600! Difficulty is all set to default.

You can download the version I'm using, System Shock Portable, that has WASD+Mouselook, high resolutions and no need for mounting the game right here.

Have fun watching me bumble through this PC classic! Without further ado, let's jack in! :smug:

INDEX

Medical Deck

Part 1: Good morning
Part 2: Exploring Medical
Part 3: Cyborg territory

Research Deck

Part 4: Let There Be Light

===

Intro

You've all probably seen this a thousand times, so I won't bother transcribing it. Still, I'm adding it here for completion's sake, and because it is an incredible mood setter.

Soundtrack

cdshock_000.png

We awaken from our coma in this this cozy little healing suit. To our right is healing agent, which we obviously pick up. We continue down the slope and turn to the left door.

I'd just like to point out what a smart move it was to make the starting room like this. Right away, they show off the incredible grafix, lighting and true 3D world.

cdshock_001.png

Phat loot! :D

We pick up a trusty pipe, a stamina stimulant (full stamina when used, but extremely low when the effects wear off), a berserk combat booster (improved strength when used, but the hallucinations are pretty bad), a mapping unit and a basic access card.

cdshock_007.png

The moment we pick up the Multimedia Data Reader(tm), we get an e-mail.

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/email/RebeccaLansing1a.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Employee, 2-4601, listen carefully. My name is Rebecca Lansing and I'm a counter-terrorism consultant to Tri-Optimum. We're tracking a disclosure on Citadel Station. Something involving an on-board AI called SHODAN. You are Tri-Op's only contact on station. Communications are out, and there is evidence of biological contamination. The mining laser is charging for a possible strike against Earth. There's a man named Nathan D'Arcy who may know something about taking the laser offline. His office is near the central hub on your level. The AI is on the bridge. Once the laser is out, look for the source of the problem there. And by the way, we know all about you and your friend Diego. Pull this off and we'll clear your record. That implant you're wearing is military-grade hardware. Use it well. Lansing out.

D'Arcy's office:
RebeccaLansing1b.gif

Oh man, I don't like the sound of this. :(

We also pick up a log that we wrote ourselves.

I said:
Looks like Diego's happy with my work... they're firing up the sleep machine for me now. Gotta admit, when the goons from Tri-Op caught me I thought for sure they'd take me off line. Instead, Diego just asks for a "favor". Hack him into SHODAN, and all is forgiven. Plus, six months in a healing coma earns me a cyberjack interface even TriOp's execs couldn't swing. I'll be the king of the Net. :smug: Even so, I have just handed the world's most powerful AI in the system to a fumbling corp VP, and there's no telling what'll happen. They tell me the coma leaves you foggy, so I'll leave myself some reminders. First off, the combo to the healing suit is 451. Second, I've stashed some useful stuff in the maintenance hatch under the grating "north" of the healing suite. Last and best, I finished the system analyzer which'll let me keep an eye on SHODAN's processes. It's in the storage closet outside the sleep machine. In ten minutes, it's off to bed for half a year. Good night.

:salute: Thank you, me.

cdshock_013.png

Pipe in hand, we prepare to venture out into the massive Citadel Station.

cdshock_014.png

Hey there, little rob- Wait, why are you attacking me!?

cdshock_015.png

I fought valiantly, and struck this metallic monstrosity down.

cdshock_016.png

There's another one.

cdshock_017.png

Not anymore! :D

cdshock_018.png

cdshock_019.png

We also destroy two security cameras in this area, lowering the security level of the level we are on.

cdshock_020.png

We take a SPARQ beam gun off of a corpse. We'll be using this weapon often, as it is powered by our own power, which can easily be recharged at any recharge station, whereas most other firearms use ammo that must be scavenged.

cdshock_021.png

cdshock_022.png

We also get a dartgun and some needle darts, which are great against organic beings,

cdshock_023.png

as well as a frag grenade from a crate.

cdshock_030.png

cdshock_031.png

We then heal up and recharge our on-board power. Gotta keep a lookout for these stations. They will be invaluable.

cdshock_029.png

Dem graphics. :love:

cdshock_032.png

We find an audio log near the exit of this room.

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/11Oct72_DavidHonig.GIF[/img] said:
Audio

SHODAN's security is closing down on us. The elevators are frozen. Mira keeps saying it's the cameras and the medical CPU core, that SHODAN is using these to hold onto the level. That's all fine, but I don't really see how it helps. The thing is everywhere.

Oh man, this is some rough stuff. Looks like SHODAN is striking down on humans. Gotta keep an eye out for cameras, and try to find this CPU core if I can.

cdshock_033.png

We use the code we had left in the note to ourselves ( :? ) to open the door. Damn, a mutant right there. Luckily, he doesn't notice us right away, so I have the upper hand.

cdshock_034.png

Did these thing use to be... human? :(

Oh god, we get an e-mail from SHODAN. Don't tell me she's already found us! :(

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/email/06Nov71_Shodan.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Welcome back to Citadel station. We hope your somnal and healing stage went well. Today is the sixth day of November, year 2072. You are currently in the healing suites located in the first level. Level 2 contains the research laboratories, level 3 houses the department of maintenance, and the storage cells are on level 4. The flight deck is on level 5. Levels 6 holds crew facilities and executive suites, and level 7 is systems engineering. Level 8 houses the department of security. The bridge is located on level 9, and energy systems on level R. All levels can be accessed by the elevator in Alpha Quadrant. We hope you have a pleasant ssssstay on Citadel Station.

Ah, luckily it was just a pre-recorded greeting. Funny thing is, this actually helps us quite a bit. Bet you weren't counting on that, huh, SHODAN! :smug:

cdshock_036.png

Well, here we are, out of the healing suite, surrounded by pure carnage. What the hell went on here?

You know what, I don't want to know.

cdshock_037.png

We enter the door on the Western side of this room and take down another robot.

cdshock_038.png

Higher security clearance!

Also, another audio log.

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/15Oct72_MiraStackhouse.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Gunther was killed today. I can't let myself think about it. I think I understand how SHODAN is doing it. When we destroy the cameras and CPU nodes, SHODAN loses some of it's control over the station's functions, at least on this level. I think I can restore manual control over the hospital.

Poor Mira. :salute:

cdshock_041.png

cdshock_042.png

We get access to a storage room we couldn't get into earlier with the newly found access card.

We find some very useful stuff in two of the crates, like a frag grenade and some needle darts. In the third one, however...

cdshock_045.png

Won't be needing those, thank you very much. :M

cdshock_046.png

cdshock_047.png

We go deeper into the station.

cdshock_048.png

cdshock_049.png

Seeing a mutant in the distance, we decide to open fire with the SPARQ beam (Note: I don't know what happened to this screenshot; my apologies).

cdshock_050.png

cdshock_051.png

We then enter a sideroom and dispose of another mutant.

In here we find:

cdshock_052.png

1. Stamina and berserk stimulants.

cdshock_054.png

b) some ammo from a corpse (sadly, we have no gun yet :( ).

cdshock_055.png

III Another audio log.

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/31Oct72_AltheaGrossman.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Now we've got to get to the bridge and stop SHODAN. Some of us wanna go to the flight deck and escape, instead. Hopefully, there's still some weapons in the armory we can use against the mutants. Todd Lancanship (?) was able to get the combination, 705, from a security officer. We're gonna try to get to it.

I sincerely hope that you did.

Who am I kidding... :(

Nothing left to do in this room.

cdshock_056.png

Let there be light.

cdshock_057.png

Much better.

cdshock_058.png

We enter another side room and find another audio log.

[img:ycajaakh]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/19Oct72_AbeGhiran.gif[/img] said:
Audio

*gunfire, mutant shrieks* If any survivors are hearing me, please, some of us are still resisting SHODAN. We have a sanctuary in Beta quadrant, guarded by a radioactive trench. There's a force bridge that operates off a wiring panel. If you're coming from Alpha, our guards will extend the bridge for you. Be very careful, mutants are all over the corridors.

I'm not particularly optimistic of these guys having made it, but I'll keep this in mind. still, I have to focus on the mission at hand.

cdshock_060.png

Cyberspace, huh?

cdshock_061.png

Looks like this is where I can access cyberspace. Let's read the note on the ground first, however.

Engineer's Report -- Arnold Hessman 22.SEP.2072 said:
As I feared, SHODAN's malfunctions are manifesting in Citadel's cyberspace net. Several storage lockers and rooms have been sealed, with their controls put on 'cybertoggles', only accessible on cyberspace. Also, some code to sensitive areas of the station have been encoded onto loose data fragments. Although all station personnel capable of entering cyberspace have clearance for those codes, I'm very concerned about the potential security hazard.

:smug:

Engineer's Report -- Arnold Hessman 22.SEP.2072 said:
I'll try to have SHODAN introduce defensive programs into cyberspace, to keep potential intruders from the floating data and cybertoggles.

:x

Without further ado, let us dive into the most infuriating aspect of the game: cyberspace!

cdshock_065.png

cdshock_066.png

cdshock_068.png

Don't worry, you're not the only one feeling a bit disoriented.

cdshock_070.png

cdshock_071.png

cdshock_072.png

The defensive systems manifest themselves as goofy faces. Nonetheless, they can be dangerous.

cdshock_074.png

cdshock_075.png

cdshock_076.png

cdshock_077.png

Time to leave cyberspace.

cdshock_078.png

Yes! That's opened the doors! What awaits us inside?

cdshock_079.png

:thumbsup:

cdshock_080.png

:yeah: The best way to describe this weapon is as an energy rocket launcher. I've got a feeling that this will come in handy quite a bit. Ammo is scarce though, so I will have to be careful about when to use it.

Still, finding this gun makes me feel a bit stronger and a bit more confident about taking on the horrors of Citadel Station.

Which we shall be doing the next update. :M

spekkio

Arcane
The only person that can bring this LP to the Main Page...

Is me... :M

Carry on, good sir.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Are you using that SystemShcok_portable version that supports mouse-look and higher resolutions ?

Peter

Arcane
Part 2: Exploring Medical

ghostdog said:
Are you using that SystemShcok_portable version that supports mouse-look and higher resolutions ?

Indeed I am. I'm playing at 800x600, which is higher than the maximum 640x480 supported by the original release version.

On to Part 2, where we explore more of the Medical deck.

===

Soundtrack

cdshock_001.png

Well, here we are again. Time to advance deeper into Medical.

cdshock_002.png

We enter a room right next to the big hallway right away.

cdshock_003.png

DO WANT.

cdshock_004.png

cdshock_005.png

Luckily, mutants are quite weak, so I can get to this stuff quite easily.

Notice the grating? This must be the stash we found out about in the note we left to ourselves.

We find a frag grenade and a dartgun, which is useless since we have on already. The most interesting thing we get is...

cdshock_008.png

Now, these things are really cool. Once you use them, you see in the dark better, the aftereffect being low visibility. Probably the neatest one of these boost/stimulant things (from what I've seen).

cdshock_009.png

We continue down the hallway to find another recharge station :D

cdshock_010.png

cdshock_011.png

As we round the corner, a robot opens fire on us. At first you're really afraid of this enemy type, but it quickly becomes apparent that they're quite easy pickings. Especially when shooting them from around a corner.

cdshock_012.png

Teflon rounds! :love: These will come in handy when we find a pistol, as these rounds are very effective against robots.

cdshock_013.png

The door leading to Alpha is closed. We'll come back later.

cdshock_015.png

RebeccaLansing1b.gif

That must be where we're supposed to get. Note how the wall isn't ruined in the photo. Whether it was done on purpose or not, it's a nice little detail, as no one would be taking pictures of this place after it went to shit. :thumbsup:

cdshock_016.png

cdshock_017.png

As we round the corner, we see another Cyborg Drone. He hasn't spotted us, so we dispose of him easily.

What worries me , however, is the blue thing sticking out of around the corner. That there is a Hopper, a pretty annoying enemy. It's shots pack quite a punch, and it's pretty hard to kill with our basic equipment.

Time to pull out the Magpulse!

cdshock_018.png

cdshock_019.png

cdshock_020.png

cdshock_021.png

cdshock_022.png

cdshock_023.png

We take the elevator up to where D'Arcy's office is and are immediately greeted by a completely pointless door.

cdshock_024.png

cdshock_025.png

cdshock_026.png

This hidden door makes up for it though. :love:

cdshock_027.png

One of the 2 rooms here is D'Arcy's office.

cdshock_028.png

The first one is not it. We do find a stungun and a rather interesting note that sheds some light on what happened here, though.

Medical Report -- Aaron Talbot 29.SEP.2072 said:
Another four cases of the 'mystery virus' were reported today. There have been increasing rumors that this whole mess is the result of a screw-up in the experimental bio-labs. If it's true, then why the hell aren't they telling us anything that could help us cure the victims? My first patient, who came in two days ago, is starting to display unsettling physical deformities. Furthermore, he is not responding to any conventional treatment. I'll consult with Dr. Stackhouse tomorrow -- I know she has two patients in a similar condition.

cdshock_034.png

Finally, the place Rebecca instructed us to head to - D'Arcy's office. Let's see what we can find here.

cdshock_035.png

Very good.

We also find an audio log.

[img:pqfoiyy0]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/23Oct72_NathanDArcy.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Alright, Althea. We can destroy the laser by firing it into the station's own shields. Isotope X-22 is stored in the Science level and we need to bring it down to the Reactor level to power the shields. Then you turn them on, use the safety override code to enable the laser, and fire. The laser controls and my notes are on the Science level, and the override code is in the Science Library. I've no idea how you're gonna do all this.

Neither do I. :(

Now, at least, I know what must be done. We have to make our way to the Science level.

Now to find the elevator...

cdshock_038.png

cdshock_039.png

We keep exploring the Medical level, Gamma quadrant being our next stop. We find another audio log almost immediately.

[img:pqfoiyy0]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/25Oct72_ToddBlankenship.gif[/img] said:
Audio

The resistance faction lead by Keith Swanson left a week ago. We found the mutants fighting over the remains this morning. We're caught between the mutants and the cyborgs, so I'm worried if we can carry out D'Arcy's plan. We're going to send Alan and Karl through the cyborg territory to reach the elevator.

The elevator is in cyborg territory? :(

cdshock_041.png

Rounding the corner, we take out another drone.

cdshock_042.png

cdshock_043.png

We then enter a little storage room, taking out a mutant and picking up a medical agent and some needle darts.

cdshock_046.png

cdshock_047.png

cdshock_048.png

Up a ladder we find a Biological Systems Monitor v1 (tm). I'll be quite honest, I have absolutely no idea what this does. :M

cdshock_050.png

In the little garden area, we find another audio log.

[img:pqfoiyy0]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/26Oct72_AltheaGrossman.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Karl has come back from recon without Alan. He says they took Alan into a room marked 'cyborg conversion', and now he's a Cyborg Assassin. Karl marked the room with the word 'HERE' before he ran. One of the technicians said we can just flip a switch and make the converter a surgery unit again. With only 12 of us left, though, it may be an academic point. Maybe someone else should've been leader.

Of course. Any leader is better than womyn leader. :salute:

I'll keep a lookout for that room, though. A surgery unit sure sounds nice.

cdshock_052.png

Man, this place was weird even before the shit hit the fan.

cdshock_053.png

cdshock_054.png

As we continue through the station, we find an area of pure carnage. I don't want to know what went on here.

There's another audio log here.

[img:pqfoiyy0]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/17Oct72_KarennaOzark.gif[/img] said:
[Audio not available; floppy disk version transcript]

Horrible. We are all finished. Keith and most of the others went down the access corridor an hour ago, and the echoes of the screams have only just stopped. None of them have come back in the minutes since. None of them. Soon the mutants will come for us.

I wonder if these are the guys that had set up a stronghold.

cdshock_056.png

cdshock_057.png

This place is giving me the god damn creeps.

cdshock_060.png

See that gray thing in front of the mutant? That's the gun of a Cyborg Assassin, which is bad news for us. These guys do a lot of damage and there's not really an efficient way of killing em. Either that, or I haven't figured it out yet.

cdshock_061.png

We kill it just as it manages to throw a shuriken at as.

Which sucks. :M

cdshock_063.png

At least I find some needles and pistol ammo.

cdshock_064.png

cdshock_065.png

Yep, the human survivors had set up in Beta Quadrant, guarded by a trench. This is the place. Sadly, it seems to be overrun with mutants, but hopefully I can find some resources here. To do that, I need to activate the force bridge.

cdshock_066.png

cdshock_067.png

This is the most annoying minigame of all, imo. : x You've got to put the wires in the right slots for the green bar to fill.

cdshock_068.png

cdshock_069.png

That did it.

cdshock_071.png

:yeah: These things instantly restore your health. Very useful, but very scarce.

cdshock_073.png

Luckily, the Cyborg Assassin falls down as he tries to approach us. :lol:

cdshock_074.png

[Perception] We've now gone in circle and are overlooking the force bridge.

Another audio log here.

[img:pqfoiyy0]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/12Oct72_DavidHonig.gif[/img] said:
Audio

I must be one of the last ones who hasn't changed. SHODAN must've altered the healing machine I installed in Alpha Quadrant. It does things to people now. I, uh... I think I saw Beth yesterday, but she had so many implants I c-couldn't be sure. If-if I can get to the machine, uh, I know i can set things right again.

LISTEN TO THE AUDIO OF THIS ONE. The VA is fucking perfect, even better than the relatively high quality of the rest of the audio logs. You can really hear the desperation, fear and guilt in this guy's voice.

A true bro. :salute:

cdshock_076.png

The only things left to find here are a sight enhancer and a first aid kit. Now it's time to get the fuck outta Beta Quadrant and head to Alpha, which must be housing the cyborg conversion station and the elevator. Gotta do something about that locked door, though.

cdshock_081.png

cdshock_082.png

cdshock_083.png

cdshock_084.png

Back in the central hub, there's an elevator that takes us down to an important looking room. Going prone means the enemies are in my line of fire, but they're unable to spot me up here. :smug:

It's probably safe to go down now.

cdshock_085.png

OH FUCK NO IT'S NOT.

cdshock_086.png

Phew. I probably could've avoided that had I thrown a frag grenade in there.

cdshock_088.png

Four cameras! Time to go pipe crazy! :yeah:

cdshock_089.png

Destroying the cameras in this room alone has brought the security of this deck down from 90 to 80%. Fuck yeah.

cdshock_090.png

Aha! Those must be the controls to the door to Alpha Quadrant. To get up there I need to activate the red d-pad on the ground so it could lift me up, though. :M

cdshock_091.png

cdshock_092.png

A button hidden near the ground behind a terminal activates it. While most of the ship is well realized, this mini puzzle (if you can call it that) is really gamey.

cdshock_093.png

We must complete another minigame to open the doors. The goal here is to get the yellow shit from the starting position to the end passing through all the green squares. The stuff flows only through +'s, and changing an X into a + or vice versa affects the surrounding squares too. It's much better than the wire minigame, which pretty much relies on you trying every possible combination, but calling it fun would still be a long shot.

cdshock_094.png

We do manage to open the doors, though!

Next time, we explore Alpha Quadrant and (hopefully) finish up the Medical deck!

Peter

Arcane
Part 3: Cyborg territory

This thread is not satisfying my attention whore needs. :M

In Part 3 we explore Alpha Quadrant and find the elevator to the Research deck.

===

Soundtrack (same as before)

cdshock_000.png

Well, time to head to Alpha Quadrant. "Cyborg territory", as it was called in one of the logs. Don't like the sound of that. Better go heal up.

cdshock_001.png

cdshock_002.png

I take out a couple of mutants while going back to the Healing Suite, but, surprisingly, I find some mutants in there as well. For some reason I thought that was an area where enemies don't respawn.

cdshock_003.png

Having healed up, I am ready to enter Alpha.

cdshock_004.png

cdshock_005.png

cdshock_006.png

Going prone gives me the chance to shoot the Cyborg Assassin from here. He still manages to get a couple of shots in, however, taking more than 50% of my health away. See what I told you? These guys are assholes.

cdshock_007.png

Oooh, a gas grenade. I bet this will come in handy against crowds of mutants.

cdshock_008.png

cdshock_009.png

I take this drone out by hopping and shooting. :M The drones in this room also all seem to be carrying frag grenades.

cdshock_010.png

cdshock_011.png

Alpha is filled with robots in ambush positions.

cdshock_012.png

Ah, this is the place that was mentioned in one of the audio logs I found.

Peter said:
[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/26Oct72_AltheaGrossman.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Karl has come back from recon without Alan. He says they took Alan into a room marked 'cyborg conversion', and now he's a Cyborg Assassin. Karl marked the room with the word 'HERE' before he ran. One of the technicians said we can just flip a switch and make the converter a surgery unit again. With only 12 of us left, though, it may be an academic point. Maybe someone else should've been leader.

If we turn the cyborg conversion unit into a healing unit again, it will heal revive us in case we die.

cdshock_014.png

cdshock_015.png

A lot of the times, leaning is the 'I win' button in this game, it seems.

cdshock_017.png

cdshock_020.png

I manage to take out the 2 drones in the room from the hallway. We find another audio log and flip the switch. :yeah:

[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/09Oct72_KevinOConnell.gif[/img] said:
Audio

*gunfire* We underestimated SHODAN. He's re- I mean, it's reprogrammed regeneration rooms all over station into cyborg conversion chambers. Anyone going in to get healed comes out as a cyborg. I've disconnected the medical CPUs from SHODAN's main data bank, so we can reset them to their normal healing functions without SHODAN noticing. I'm on my way now to reset the one on the hospital level. *gunfire*

Yeah, as you all probably know, SHODAN's gender wasn't really too well established in SS1. The VA is distinctively female, but SHODAN is often referred to as a 'he'.

cdshock_021.png

Further down the hall, we find an audio log left by SHODAN her- him- itself.

[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/15Oct72_ShodanA.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Directive to Cyborg F-71: We will now test the virus in a proper environment. Move mutagen experiment V5 to Beta grove on the Executive level. Let the virus infect the grove, and observe it's effects on vegetable and animal life forms. When the strain is perfected, we will release it on the Earth, where it will facilitate our conquest.

That god damn cunt. :x

cdshock_022.png

cdshock_023.png

cdshock_025.png

We take out about 4 drones in one hallway, each one of whom had been waiting to ambush me in those little... alcoves? We also take out another Cyborg Assassin.

cdshock_026.png

cdshock_030.png

Another cyborg waiting to ambush us. At least we get some Teflon rounds off of the thing.

Now I just need a pistol. :M

cdshock_033.png

We take out another camera and are, holy fuck, contacted by SHODAN.

SHODAN said:
You are not welcomed here. Remove yourself.

Ooh, I must begetting close to something important.

cdshock_032.png

Around the corner we see this intimidating looking guy. I do believe it's time to switch to the Magpulse.

cdshock_035.png

cdshock_036.png

cdshock_037.png

cdshock_038.png

Holy fuck, that felt good. We had to use a whole 2 shots on the guy, though, which sucks.

cdshock_039.png

Time to go down.

SHODAN said:
Enter that room, insect, and it will become your grave.

Fuck you, lady! :D

cdshock_040.png

Ah, these must be the CPU nodes.

cdshock_041.png

Hell yes, a pistol! Great for taking down robots when using the plentiful Teflon rounds. :yeah:

How to deal with these CPU nodes, though?

cdshock_042.png

With 'nades, what else!

cdshock_043.png

cdshock_044.png

And boom goes the dynamite. :smug:

Taking out the last node with the SPARQ beam, we lover the medical deck's security to zero. :yeah:

SHODAN ain't too happy about that, though. :(

[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/email/Shodan2A.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Who are you? The computer nodes can be repaired, but you... Who are you? My cameras and probes scan your body, but you do not match any employee file. When my cyborgs bring you to an electrified interrogation bench, I will have your secret. And you will learn more about pain than you ever wanted to know.

Once again, LISTEN TO THIS ONE. The way she goes from confusion to anger is superbly done.

cdshock_046.png

As we try to leave the room, we are greeted by an onslaught of Cyborgd Drones and Assassins (even though I only got a screenshot of one :M).

We are struck down.

Or are we? :smug: :retarded:

cdshock_047.png

Yup, we're revived in the healing unit! :thumbsup:

Now to finally find the elevator.

cdshock_048.png

cdshock_049.png

I let my guard down and ambushed by an Assassin and Drone. :x

cdshock_050.png

No idea what exactly this does, but :thumbsup:

cdshock_051.png

We found it! :yeah:

As we step on the platform, we get an e-mail.

[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/email/RebeccaLansing2.gif[/img] said:
Audio

They're trying to jam transmissions. We have some new evidence about what happened. It looks as if Diego had ---------
SHODAN said:
I prefer a quiet station. Thank you.

Well that's just plain old impolite. :rpgcodex:

cdshock_053.png

Going down the elevator, we find another one of SHODAN's audio logs.

[img:uzbs0cbz]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level1/03Nov72_ShodanA.gif[/img] said:
Audio

To all cyborg units: Just as we have sanitized my domain of human infestation, so shall we cleanse the Earth. The tachyon mining beam is being made ready to destroy human cities. I will take command of the rich Earth ecosystem and continue my experiments.

The laser must be disabled post haste!

cdshock_054.png

Ah, and here is the elevator.

cdshock_055.png

cdshock_056.png

Before going into the elevator, though, we check what this switch does. Looks like we're right next to the Healing Suite. An opportunity like this can't be missed.

cdshock_057.png

cdshock_058.png

Back to the elevator.

Music

cdshock_059.png

Next time, we head up to the research deck!

drexciya

Augur
Great LP so far. Details like the terrific voice acting and the elevator music are vital to creating the great atmosphere in this game.

Better resolution and mouse look are excellent enhancements. I really don't understand why there's no legal version of this game with these enhancements. Getting this from GoG ready to run on Win7 would be great.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
God work, I never actually played this game but it looks damn fine to me.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Must resist compulsion to play SS1 third time. Must resist...

spekkio

Arcane
cdshock_085.png

:smug:

Shodan said:
Directive to Cyborg F-71: We will now test the virus in a proper environment. Move mutagen experiment V5 to Beta grove on the Executive level. Let the virus infect the grove, and observe it's effects on vegetable and animal life forms. When the strain is perfected, we will release it on the Earth, where it will facilitate our conquest.
Shodan said:
To all cyborg units: Just as we have sanitized my domain of human infestation, so shall we cleanse the Earth. The tachyon mining beam is being made ready to destroy human cities. I will take command of the rich Earth ecosystem and continue my experiments.
:love:

Great LP indeed, don't worry about low (?) level of Hivemind's interest - DA2 was leaked after all...

:roll:

Monocause

Arcane
SS1 had a different sort of creepiness than SS2, one that I preferred. While SS2 was superb the horror elements had gone a bit too far for my taste.

Welcome back to Citadel station. We hope your somnal and healing stage went well. Today is the sixth day of November, year 2072. You are currently in the healing suites located in the first level. Level 2 contains the research laboratories, level 3 houses the department of maintenance, and the storage cells are on level 4. The flight deck is on level 5. Levels 6 holds crew facilities and executive suites, and level 7 is systems engineering. Level 8 houses the department of security. The bridge is located on level 9, and energy systems on level R. All levels can be accessed by the elevator in Alpha Quadrant. We hope you have a pleasant ssssstay on Citadel Station.

I still remember these lines and how sinister it sounded when it was clear from the start that everything went wrong. Man, gotta replay this one soon - continue, please :salute:

FaChoi

Educated
Always had problems with running this.. looks like it's time to try again in glorious 800x600

spekkio said:
Great LP indeed, don't worry about low (?) level of Hivemind's interest - DA2 was leaked after all...

:roll:

Don't worry, it won't take long before folk ignore DA2 and come to find refuge in a good game.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Monocause said:
SS1 had a different sort of creepiness than SS2, one that I preferred. While SS2 was superb the horror elements had gone a bit too far for my taste.

Yeah. The "carnal" relation ("Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors...") between the Hacker and Shodan did a lot for the claustrophobic atmosphere of SS1 : you were basically emprisoned in your worst enemy's body, a "crazy machine mother" that helds you in "her womb" against her will for 6 months. The fact that she's trying to create new "perfects lifeforms" while trying to eradicate the hacker, her "undesired child" (and father), is viscerally frightening.

You don't find as much of this "double entendre" in SS2, even if it is a great game, consistent with its predecessor.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Chateaubryan said:
You don't find so much of this "double entendre" in SS2, even if it is a great game.
Somehow, I agree, with you. SS1 had a bigger impact on me than SS2. And I can give this kind of explanation. But when I played the game, I honestly didn't analyse much of what I felt. Now, I often find it difficult to think it out. Is this really because SS2 did something wrong? Was it too much? Was it less coherent? Less "immersive" (as they say nowadays)? Or was I just already blasé? SS1 may have been the vaccine that prevented me from enjoying any other so-called horror/survival.

And, to OP, good work so far. I'm not sure, I'll follow since, I have played the game too much (I wouldn't follow a Fallout LP, would you?). But it's sure better than a final fantasy LP.

DraQ

Arcane
I've always found SS2 to be much better in terms of the atmosphere (and story if you discount the jettisoned grove somehow getting to Tau Ceti).
I'm also the kind of person that liked weapon degradation, and there were some cool things like upgrades and research. Skills/stats were also cool with the exception of terribadly implemented weapon skills.

Still, in terms of the remaining mechanics SS1 was just godlike. I loved hardware upgrades, power slider for weapons, fuckload of different explosives, side effects of EMP grenades, cyberspace (although it was infuriating as a gameplay element) and so on.

The apparent lack of interest is easily explainable - I expect most of the codex to have played SS1, so the bile fascination currently satisfied by Derp Age 2 wins.

Still, do continue, kind sir.
:obviously:

Also, I demand LP of Terra Nova: SFC* later on.

*) A powered armour simulator made by Looking Glass expanding on many mechanical innovations from SS1.

Peter

Arcane
Part 4: Let There Be Light

Chateaubryan said:
Monocause said:

Yeah. The "carnal" relation ("Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors...") between the Hacker and Shodan did a lot for the claustrophobic atmosphere of SS1 : you were basically emprisoned in your worst enemy's body, a "crazy machine mother" that helds you in "her womb" against her will for 6 months. The fact that she's trying to create new "perfects lifeforms" while trying to eradicate the hacker, her "undesired child" (and father), is viscerally frightening.

You don't find as much of this "double entendre" in SS2, even if it is a great game, consistent with its predecessor.

That's a really cool analysis actually. I'd never actually thought of it that way, but that does kinda nail the feeling of the game. :salute:

Much :love: to everyone in this thread.

On to Part 4, where we explore the Research deck!

===

Music

cdshock_000.png

Alright, time to head up to Medical to get the laser override code and Isotope X-22.

cdshock_001.png

OH JESUS CHRIST :retarded:

I switch to the dartgun.

cdshock_002.png

cdshock_003.png

cdshock_004.png

cdshock_005.png

Oh God, it's over.

cdshock_007.png

Since I'm low on health and right next to the elevator, I head back down to Medical to heal up.

cdshock_006.png

Time to start exploring this place.

Music

cdshock_008.png

cdshock_009.png

Long and gloomy hallways whichever way we look. I opt for going West first.

cdshock_010.png

Interestingly enough, this guy doesn't seem to bother us. Either it's just a bug, or the developers have actually made some rudimentary stealth elements. With a technical marvel like this, I don't know what to think.

cdshock_011.png

Anyway, there are a lot of little rooms in this hallway, so I just start exploring from one end.

cdshock_012.png

We find our first audio log of this deck.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/24Oct72_PaulStannek.gif[/img] said:
Audio

I was standing right next to him. D'Arcy was telling me something about the laser, something about overrides and a number. Cyborg Assassin shot him in the back of the head. Didn't even touch me. They knew D'Arcy was on to something.

Interesting. This is leading me to believe that there was a moment in time when SHODAN was taking control, but complete and utter war hadn't broken out yet. It's weird that they left this guy alive, seeing that SHODAN is a fan of the whole genocide thing.

Must've been a weird few couple of days/weeks.

cdshock_015.png

We find 3 gas grenades in the next room.

cdshock_016.png

HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE THOSE

cdshock_017.png

Zero-G Mutant. What the fuck. Luckily, they go down quite easily, but still, I'd rather not meet any more of these guys.

We keep exploring.

cdshock_018.png

cdshock_019.png

In this important looking room, we find another audio log.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/16Oct72_TravisBaerga.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Those gas grenades are life savers against the mutants. Just found a pack of 'em and snuck right by 'em, no problems. With enough grenades, we may still stand a chance.

Another one of those gamey things that ruin the immershun a bit. :M

cdshock_021.png

We find a note in the other room:

Negotiations continue to go well with the United Earth Miners' Conglomerate over rights to Saturn's moons. Trioptimum is uniquely positioned to make a deal, since Citadel Station is already in stable orbit, and has the scientific equipment necessary for preliminary surveys. Profit projections, assuming a 30% stake in UEM's local mining activities (the standard rates for such deals), are very promising. Our lawyers are researching the legality of imposing a 4% shipping tax, since Trioptimum technically has first rights to space shipping lanes in the Saturn sector.

Dog-eat-dog world.

cdshock_024.png

While neither of these look too welcoming, we enter the door on the right.

cdshock_025.png

cdshock_026.png

Well, this room looks interesting. Sadly, I can't get to it from here.

We head the other way.

cdshock_027.png

I probably shouldn't. Who knows how I'll be able to get back where I am.

cdshock_028.png

cdshock_029.png

But I do anyway. :M

Shooting a cyborg with 2 teflon shots is so god damn satisfying, I tell ya.

cdshock_030.png

cdshock_031.png

A healing unit! The problem is, either I'm retarded, or there isn't a switch to turn it back from a cyborg conversion unit. Maybe it's already in healing mode. I guess we'll see when/if I die. :M

cdshock_032.png

Flipping a switch here activates an energy bridge.

cdshock_033.png

2 EMP and 2 frag grenades! :yeah:

cdshock_037.png

cdshock_036.png

cdshock_038.png

Ah, here's Delta Quadrant. Looking at the minimap, you'll notice we've gone in a circle and are now looking at the hallway the elevator room is in. The wire-frame triangle is a waypoint I put in the map. Pay no attention to these.

cdshock_039.png

We take down 2 more mutants.

cdshock_041.png

In the next room, we find an empty briefcase and an audio log with laughably bad VA.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/18Sep72_RexMelville.gif[/img] said:
Audio

I REFUSE TO TRANSCRIBE THIS. YOU HAVE TO HEAR THE TERRIBAD AUDIO.

Continuing on...

cdshock_043.png

What the hell happened here.

2 more audio logs in here.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/14Sep72_BrufordEndicott.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Still having power outages over on Beta Quadrant. Probably the computer with the high priority job. We're kinda rerouting a little bit. We're installing circuit breakers on Beta. That way we can bring the line up after surges.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/16Sep72_JonDavidWong.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Alright, SHODAN. We've got power fluctuations, and robot crews are redecorating Alpha Quad. Where's the reboot switch?

Power outages in Beta? Somehow I have a feeling that I'll need to visit there at some point. :x

cdshock_046.png

A note in a little side room.

Engineer's Report -- Jon David Wong 17.SEP.2072 said:
Note to all science level engineers: I am still unable to pinpoint the source of the power surges in Beta Quadrant, though they are likely to some of the other recent glitches in SHODAN's operation. At Mr. Endicott's request, I have installed circuit breakers in Alpha Quadrant in case of power outages in Beta.

:salute: Now I know where I need to head if there's a power outage in Beta.

cdshock_049.png

cdshock_050.png

In another room, we are treated to the view of space. The pitch black background with the tiny stars quite effectively makes you feel isolated. A nice detail that can't be seen in screenshots is that the background (or rather, the station) is rotating ever so slightly.

I'd love to be treated to a view of Saturn at some point, though.

cdshock_053.png

cdshock_054.png

cdshock_055.png

Back in the hallway, we are treated to another puzzle.

cdshock_057.png

cdshock_058.png

cdshock_059.png

cdshock_060.png

PHAT MOTHAFUCKIN LOOT. :yeah:

We've explored Delta fully, it seems, so back to the hub area.

cdshock_062.png

cdshock_063.png

cdshock_064.png

We shoot another cyborg, and pass by an interesting looking grate and Alpha Quadrant. We'll probably return to it later, but, right now, I've nothing to do here.

cdshock_065.png

What's this?

cdshock_066.png

Y'know what? I probably shouldn't.

cdshock_067.png

I COULDNT RESIST BROS

cdshock_068.png

We've been teleported elsewhere.

cdshock_070.png

Speed boost! :thumbsup:

cdshock_072.png

The grate we passed.

cdshock_071.png

Sure is well hidden. :smug: I must remember to return when I get a SCI access card.

We can luckily leave the same way we got here.

cdshock_073.png

Well, here's Beta. Sure is dark. Guess I'm headed to Alpha. First I'd like to dispose of that threatening looking robot, though.

Time to pull out the Magpulse again.

cdshock_074.png

cdshock_075.png

I have no use for this ammo yet, but It'll surely come in handy later.

Back to Alpha.

cdshock_076.png

What the!

cdshock_077.png

Luckily, these guys don't have a ranged attack.

cdshock_078.png

Aw, look at that. A securitron. Ain't it cute? :smug:

There are 2 audio logs in this room, but we can only grab one from here.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/21Oct72_NathanDArcy.gif[/img] said:
Audio

Listen up, Althea. I know how we can stop SHODAN from firing the laser. Get the Isotope X-22 from Gamma, feed it into the shield generators on the Reactor level, then put the shield up. Fire the laser into the shield and the laser explodes.Trouble is, every existing safety lock is designed to prevent this.

We are once again reminded of our mission by D'Arcy. They're really hammering this home, huh?

cdshock_080.png

cdshock_081.png

We get through the crawlspace by going prone and get to the other audio log.

[img:27pcat41]http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/voiceres/level2/20Oct72_NathanDArcy.gif[/img] said:
Audio

So SHODAN is charging up the lasers. Whatever else we do, we can't allow it to fire. We'd discharge it ourselves, but who knows what it's aimed at. We can't fire it, we can't stop it.

DONT WORRY BRO ILL SAVE YOU :salute:

cdshock_082.png

Heading out of D'Arcy's office, we find ourselves in the thick of Alpha.

cdshock_083.png

cdshock_084.png

cdshock_085.png

There are quite a lot of robots here, which is becoming a recurring theme of Alpha Quadrant it seems, but I take care of them all rather easily.

cdshock_086.png

cdshock_087.png

Except for this motherfucker, who takes me completely by surprise. I'm forced to use some med agents after the fight.

cdshock_089.png

DO WANT.

cdshock_090.png

cdshock_091.png

This must be the circuit breaker.

cdshock_092.png

The light flash and fade a little as I pull the switch, but return back to normal. I do believe I've just restored power to Beta Quadrant.

cdshock_093.png

With that, we leave Alpha.

cdshock_094.png

Ah, much better.

We'll see what Beta Quadrant has in store for us next time!

spekkio

Arcane
It's funny that after all these years only 2-4 games came close to the quality of SS1 (SS2, Deus EX, Thief 1-2).

So far I only completed SS1 twice, but I'm sure as hell that I'm going to replay it many times in the future (as I already did with SS2).

:salute: For LPing this gem.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
How the heck did you get it to run with dgvoodoo? Fucker always crashes and burns when I try. Runs nice in dosbox though but then I do miss the glorious 3d and mouselook. :(

Anyway, awesome lp. Loved this game when it came out. It was just so ambitious and atmospheric.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Same here, just no luck to be had with running it in DGVesa mode. However, I'm running it in Gulikoza's Dosbox build with 1024x786 resolution and it works like a charm after fiddling with the configs a bit. The biggest problem was the mouse becoming totally wild in freelook, but terribly slow while moving the cursor independently of the screen. If anyone's interested, I managed to solve this by putting the sensitivity to 150 in dosbox.conf (in the folder pertaining to the dosbox build you're running, obviously), as well as adjusting these settings in XCYB.CFG:

Code:
  set hmousemul 1
  set vmousemul 1

set mlook_hsens 100
  set mlook_vsens 50
(hor. sens higher than vertical because for some reason it was very sensitive along the y axis, but slow on the x one).

As for the LP, :salute: to you good sir, I had the vague idea of playing SS1 but seeing your LP was the catalyst to putting this idea into practice. Do continue on your epic enterprise.

Wow, SSP is really nice. Mouselook controls make it wayyy too easy though. Finished the first level with nearly 50 medi.

:what:

Are there any known bugs? I can't remember having nearly that many the first time I played, and it definitely wasn't because I needed to gobble down almost 40 of them. Enemy spawns also seem to be messed up. I'm seeing a few respawns on the first level, none at all on the 2nd, plenty on the reactor and holy fuck the most evil pieces of shit you ever imagined spawn every 5 feet on the 3rd level.

spekkio

Arcane
Trash said:
How the heck did you get it to run with dgvoodoo? Fucker always crashes and burns when I try. Runs nice in dosbox though but then I do miss the glorious 3d and mouselook. :(
Last time I've checked SS1 worked fine under dgVesa. But I've tested it on vanilla installation (from CD) not SS1 Portable...
Same thing with the Mouselook mod - it works fine vanilla (WinXP), under dgVesa and DosBox.
You just have to use different options in xcyb.cfg each time... :M

Overweight Manatee said:
about respawn
I've noticed something similar during my 2nd playthrough (WinXP + VDMSound) - enemy respawn may be related to the CPU speed or something...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom