Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD character - knight

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Another character - praetorian (knight, for all intends and purposes).

Noble Houses are always looking for promising recruits to serve the House in different capacities. Those individuals represent Houses in far away lands and handle affairs of their Houses, while actively interfering into affairs of other Houses.

Link

Rulion

Liturgist
I love his armour, but I'm not a big fan of that helmet. His face also looks pretty featureless under it. Did he shave his head? I think a different type of helmet would suit the character much better. What kind, I don't know, but the one right now doesn't look right.

Other than that, I think he's pretty cool, and I'll likely play a knight or a light fighter when the game comes out.

EDIT: Maybe something like these two?

FOR58011.jpg

Theilenhofen.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
3 different Houses, 3 different helmets. One's Roman, one's Greek, one's ... fireman's :) I guess, we should replace it with something else.

Human Shield

Augur
Looks the best so far.

Has some skin shading on his hands.
Detailed armor with some shadowed lines.
Hides his eyes and keeps him generic and stylized.

Looks like a piece off of a wargame, instead of blocky 3D dude. Segmented lines on clothing, and stylized head helps a lot.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
How is a knight different from a heavy fighter? Thats the question that comes to my mind. I'd rather not play a class thats the same as another, with a twist.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hope these guys are as ruthless and backstabbing as the preatorians of old. :wink: The character looks a bit tame though. Have you seen regular roman legionaire armor? That style might be a bit more fitting for a char like this. Good luck with the game!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Human Shield said:
Looks the best so far.
Thanks

Greatatlantic said:
How is a knight different from a heavy fighter? Thats the question that comes to my mind. I'd rather not play a class thats the same as another, with a twist.
This particular knight gets mad fire-resistance bonuses because of the helmet :lol:

Seriously though, there are no classes, so you don't play one. There are 2 concepts here. One is the armor, that's what heavy/medium (this one)/light fighter refers to. Armor doesn't give you AC like in many games, it gives you DR, but limits your max mobility (AP) and makes you easier to hit, not harder.

Another concept is profession which means what you do in the gameworld. It could be none, if you so desiree, or it could be one of the 6 professions: knight, mercenary, thief, loremaster, assassin, con artist.

The choice of a profession doesn't restrict character development in any way, it's more like a background, it defines your standing within the society. For example, if you start as a thief, you'd have a negative reaction modifier with guards (means they are less likely to deal with you) and positive modifiers with the shady elements AND contacts with the Thieves Guild which are hard to obtain otherwise. Walking into the Guild and asking them to sign you up aint gonna work and most likely will get your ass in trouble.

So, to answer your question, you can play as a knight who wears heavy armor or you can have a knight who wears a simple tunic. It's up to you and your gameplay style.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
So these pictures you've been showing us are character builds, much more so than classes? Sounds great, but I must ask the inevitable follow up, whats the difference between mercenary and knight? Does a knight get special standing with noble houses, sort of thing?

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I showed you different models to get some opinions, suggestions, and criticism. Basically they represent different armor styles.

Now, in regard to merc vs knight, a merc is a straight fighter: bodyguard, arena fighter, sword-for-hire, your typical cannon fodder. A knight is a someone who isn't necessary a fighter, it could be a diplomat, a spy, etc. Mercs work for anyone who pays, knights work for Noble Houses getting the [godfather]I didn't know who you were with[/godfather] reaction. A Noble House can open many doors for you, but it closes many as well.

spacemoose

Erudite
I think the armor should be a bit bigger, or the belt-line should be lower. And it looks like cloth from the back.

RGE

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
That helmet looks a little too much like a fireman's helmet for me to feel comfortable with it. It looks light and flimsy.
I thought he looked just fine, but then you had to point out that glaring flaw. Tsk tsk tsk. :P

Spacemoose said:
And it looks like cloth from the back.
Damn. I missed that too. The eagle could probably use finer details to make it come off as more than a piece of thick yellow cloth. Maybe he should have eyes instead? That'd look freaky (or perhaps Eqyptian or Illuminatian if there's only one eye), and tell people that this guy has people watching his back.

When I read "praetorian" I also thought he'd wear more black, but I suppose that a proper knight would wear something colourful, even though black, white and gold/brass looks really, really cool. Nice to see a shortspear/javelin. The lack of javelins in NWN is a shameful disgrace, especially with tower shields being the best shields.

corvax

Augur
Major_Blackhart said:
So, this is the 4th character we've seen so far. Looks good.
This reminds me of some sort of weekly designer updates/featuretess a la Dungeon Siege 2 with their pointless new chracters, skills, locations etc. VD's trying to hype up his game without all the hype :wink: The fireman looks decent but he needs a new helmet. My first reaction when I saw it was:

J-E-T-S
JETS
JETS
JETS

Heh, I just got home from a Jets game where there's plenty of drunk fans with same helmets screaming just that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
This reminds me of some sort of weekly designer updates/featuretess a la Dungeon Siege 2 with their pointless new chracters, skills, locations etc.
I'm not trying to impress anyone with characters, they are not that good anyway (comparing to some top games). You guys are my very own, extremely anal-retentive focus group that misses NOTHING! The helmet does look like a fireman's helmet, I'm surprised I didn't see that before; we've tweaked the assassin a lot based on the feedback, tweaked the heavy fighter's armor, etc. Your bitching does help.

VD's trying to hype up his game without all the hype :wink:
Yay! My gaem has diffarant models, taek teh look and tell us which 1 u want to play!!!!

EEVIAC

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
The helmet does look like a fireman's helmet.

I think that helmet has its uses. What if someone were to pour boiling oil from a rampart onto your character's head? The peak also keeps the sun off your brow on long marches.

Vault Dweller

Developer
My concern is that it doesn't fit the time period. It reminds me more of 19 century cavalry helmets than of anything from the ancient civilizations.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Hmm. Most controversial of all. Praetorians were more of elite body of guards/task force, aren't they?
What good a javelin as a sole weapon would do to such soldier? Where is a sword (preferably short)? What kind of armor the guy wears? It doesn't look flexible enough for the purpose, even if it is a leather one.
The helmet looks fit to protect its wearer from debris falling from above but not from side/frontal blows and/or arrows.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
Hmm. Most controversial of all. Praetorians were more of elite body of guards/task force, aren't they?
They were, before the war. After the war, their functions have changed a bit, the name stayed. That's explained in the game.

What good a javelin as a sole weapon would do to such soldier? Where is a sword (preferably short)?
Well, I'm sure you understand that your character can wear any armor, use any weapon. I can't really say "Hey, you are playing as a praetorian, you can use only a short sword!", can I?

What kind of armor the guy wears? It doesn't look flexible enough for the purpose, even if it is a leather one.
Metal breastplate. It's somewhere in the middle between the light and the heavy armor, penalty/defense wise.

The helmet has been returned to the nearest firefighters' location.

corvax

Augur
Rulion said:
Do you live in the NY/NJ area, hussar?
NJ - Jersey City. You're all invited.
Vault Dweller said:
Yay! My gaem has diffarant models, taek teh look and tell us which 1 u want to play!!!!
I see you've improved your marketing skills. Keep up the good work :)

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
What good a javelin as a sole weapon would do to such soldier? Where is a sword (preferably short)?
Well, I'm sure you understand that your character can wear any armor, use any weapon. I can't really say "Hey, you are playing as a praetorian, you can use only a short sword!", can I?
this is not what I said. Javelin as a SOLE weapon does not make any sense for a fighter which is expected to fight for some time and possibly several opponents. A person playing a praetorian/knight/whatever, would not limit himself to one-time device. So - where is the scabbard for the short sword/dagger?

Vault Dweller said:
What kind of armor the guy wears? It doesn't look flexible enough for the purpose, even if it is a leather one.
Metal breastplate. It's somewhere in the middle between the light and the heavy armor, penalty/defense wise.
Take look at your heavy fighter. Maille is a heavy armor (compared to articulate plate armor) but it is flexible. Breast plate can be made light (somewhat) but it is not flexible.

The helmet has been returned to the nearest firefighters' location.
Thank you. Now you've got to put one of these in the game with some red numbers on it :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
A person playing a praetorian/knight/whatever, would not limit himself to one-time device. So - where is the scabbard for the short sword/dagger?
I see now. Have you see this thread? http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9650

The problem is that there are many weapons (axes, hammers, xbows, swords, etc - some 2H, some 1H). It would be pointless to decorate a model with all possible weapons like a Christmas tree. So, the only weapon that's shown is the one you are currently using.

Take look at your heavy fighter. Maille is a heavy armor (compared to articulate plate armor) but it is flexible. Breast plate can be made light (somewhat) but it is not flexible.
So, what would you suggest?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom