Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD character - heavy fighter

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Another character for you to discuss. Be as critical as you like.

The image is here

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Looks good, I don't really have anything to critisize. I think that soldier is based on this concept right? Looks good and acurate of what he was going for.

spacemoose

Erudite
I don't like the way he's holding the axe. Of course its possible that he holds it differently when he swings it, but the way it is now, it would be impossible for him to swing that axe at someone with any significant force.

I think he should have both hands on the non-business end of the axe, this would increase the lever arm and make it easier to chop off limbs and such.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Yeah, that animation looks about right, VD, with the grip sliding up/down the haft like that (down to the "business end" for the chop, back up the haft to bring it back)

When I cut my firewood I'm certain I look kinda like that, bulging thews and all. :D

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
When I used a sledge that is how I do it too, just like Shagnak's description.

Alternatively, you could try to do the same with any axe or sledgehammer and see which pose is more comfortable for you, Spacemoose. ;)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Not bad, however the legs look a little scrawny for a tough guy (After all, the ability to move and balance is just as important in a brawl as throwing a punch.) ALso, his shoulders aren't broad enough, but that's just me. Other than that, he looks good. If you can, maybe add some facial scars or body scars on his legs and hands and stuff, make it look like he's been in more than a few scrapes.

RGE

Liturgist
He looks good enough. But it sure must hurt to get hit on those leg and arm bracers with nothing to cushion the blow between the metal and the skin. And I imagine that if he's worried about getting his arms hurt, wouldn't he also worry about getting his fingers hurt? It feels kind of strange to see him have armour everywhere, and then see those small hands poke out. Perhaps the bracers could be extended forward to cover the back of his hands?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
RGE said:
He looks good enough. But it sure must hurt to get hit on those leg and arm bracers with nothing to cushion the blow between the metal and the skin.
I told him that, he just shrugged.

Perhaps the bracers could be extended forward to cover the back of his hands?
I'll see what we can do.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Post his animation.

The old one was pretty bad, actually. The way he swung his axe - just unnatural somehow..

As for model, it's great. There is no need bump-mapped nipples, this will do just fine, as long as textures are good.

truekaiser

Scholar
looks alright, but am i some how reminded of brawn's head by that helmut.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Again, for the game its fine. Following is just reasoning having participated in some medieval-like fights and getting hit.

First off - ADD GLOVES. I mean, this is vital part of any fighter, even the light one, but hey, if he is heavy fighter, gloves are fucking MUST. Going without them is..like very stupid thing. Then, he has legs naked in some places - not very good idea for "heavy" fighter/tank. At least some leather or chain or whatever. The same applies for the arms - what is that red stuff on his arms above elbows? SHould be chain, leather, plate, otherwise he is really stupid heavy fighter. (Or very lucky.)

Overall - for a game fine (though I'd like to add more armour because now he seems..not very tank-ish at the moment).

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Thanks for the comments, everyone.
When we make models, we always think about practical part; i.e. whether the armour is convenient for this character or whether the weapon is long enough to reach the enemy, etc. But such details as gloves are usually skipped, because they will just disappear in isomeric mode.

Then, he has legs naked in some places - not very good idea for "heavy" fighter/tank.

Sure, we'll tweak this guy anyway, and making him more armoured is not a bad idea.

... what is that red stuff on his arms above elbows? SHould be chain, leather, plate...

Yep, another good thought, I'll definitely work on it.

P.S.: Special thanks to Kamaz for sharing with his medieval experience :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
mEtaLL1x said:
Post his animation.
Since it's 3D, posting videos is more complicated than posting 2D gifs. We'll do it eventually.

The old one was pretty bad, actually. The way he swung his axe - just unnatural somehow..
Well, since you are the only one who thinks so, your opinion shall be ignored as heresy.:wink:

Kamaz said:
Following is just reasoning having participated in some medieval-like fights and getting hit.
The setting is loosely based on the ancient Roman period. That should answer your questions about the gloves, the legs, and the heavyness.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
The setting is loosely based on the ancient Roman period. That should answer your questions about the gloves, the legs, and the heavyness.
First off, I dont want to dive into unneeded discussion about setting, periods, times, epochs or whatever, I simply want to clarify what I meant.

It does not matter - medieval or modern times, actually, since if you want to survive swordfight and maybe even dont get crippled, you should consider those simple things because they are not tied to period but more to the combat (sword fight, as I could guess). I am no expert in such fields, I am no historian, but those are just obvious things that I have observed fighting with swords.

And, as I said, its fine already because I understand its for the game, and not historic simmulation. I wouldnt complaint, but you asked:).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kamaz said:
It does not matter - medieval or modern times, actually, since if you want to survive swordfight and maybe even dont get crippled, you should consider those simple things because they are not tied to period but more to the combat (sword fight, as I could guess). I am no expert in such fields, I am no historian, but those are just obvious things that I have observed fighting with swords.
Well, it kinda does matter, because different periods had different concepts of what a proper protection is. A Roman legionnaire was different from a medieval knight, and a knight was different from cavalry units of 18th century that still used swords but no armor whatsoever.

I'm not going for realism, and it's not a historically accurate game, obviously, but I'm sticking with some concepts that were accepted and used at that time.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, what period/culture did you guys base helmets on? They definitely seem unlike any roman headwear replica I've seen.

Vault Dweller

Developer
We didn't want to replicate everything exactly as it was, so every armor element has been tweaked to some degree. Considering that the setting is based on and not in fact THE ancient Rome, I wanted to go with "something like" instead of "exactly as it was". We used the ancient Rome period mostly as a source of references for cultural, military, and political concepts. The fall of the Roman Empire helped us to flesh out the post-apocalyptic society and history, etc.

caveyboy

Scholar
The picture looks nice well...
it just needs a little detail like rustyness on the helmet,
and a little glare from the axe would make it look cool

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I still say make his legs a lil beefier. Think about it, he looks like a professional soldier. Professional soldiers, whenever they needed to get somewhere, marched. He looks like the type of guy who did a lot of marching, which means his legs would be pretty strong, and probably thick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom