Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD character - assassin

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Instead of trying to figure out how to improve it and what's wrong with it, I thought I'd just post it here for everyone to see, bitch, and complain. Once again, keep in mind that this is NOT an in-game size, and that the actual size would be much smaller.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as usual.

Link

Rulion

Liturgist
I like it mostly. Really good work. My only criticisms would be to make him taller and slimmer, more willowy and wispy in appearance - longer/slimmer legs, longer/slimmer arms, a chest that's less chunky. Since it's an assassin, it seems more appropriate. By looking at him now, magnified, I get the impression he's going to look too compact in the game world. The less stout he looks, the better, I think.

I also suggest more detail on his face. Eyebrows, a wisp of hair, and maybe make the distance between his eyes smaller. A thinner nose and more angles. I know you won't be able to see the detail too well when he's smaller, but his face looks too blank.

The clothing and everything else looks ace, though. I like it.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Excellent stuff, VD.
My dismay at you turning to 3D is slowly dissipating methinks :wink:

I agree with Rulion re: making the character less "stout". Great otherwise.

spacemoose

Erudite
Less stout? This isn't a ninja. If you're in the business of killing people, muscle mass can only help.

I say its good as it is , maybe make the eyes darker, so they show up better on the smaller model.

RGE

Liturgist
I'm not bothered by the fact that his padded armour makes him look 'stout', but a brown padded armour does not look as cool as flowing black robes. This guy looks more like a sneaky mercenary than an archetypical assassin, but perhaps that's pretty much what he is. I don't think that the face needs any more details, but I would definitely prefer a different skin colour. Looks too orange to me.

I'm also pretty sure that only noobs hold knives like that. ;)

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
It looks good. If the assassin is affluent in wealth I'd make his clothing darker or black.

Crichton

Prophet
I think the sparkley studs on his legs and arms make him look like he's a faggit wearing glitter (the ones on the vest are fine. That aside, the way his vest perks up at the shoulder also makes him look a little gay, loose those and maybe give him a black cloak. Looks pretty good, I like the pose and the way he holds a knife (it is a stupid way to hold a knife, but I still like how it looks).

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Spacemoose said:
Less stout? This isn't a ninja. If you're in the business of killing people, muscle mass can only help.
My concern is that the proportions of the model aren't quite right. It isn't necessarily about "muscle mass"; the head-to-body size ratio is also not quite right. It is approaching that which you would see in someone that is unusually short and stout. Either that or a cartoon character.

But perhaps that is the style they are going for, for all humans in the game? I think "realistic" proportions would look better myself.

But whatever, as Screaming_life says, get the rest finished - we can't wait! :D

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
My advice would be not to post model renders since your game will be zoomed out (No point in trying to improve details if you can barely see them), and it doesn't have the lighting/shaders or whatever of the engine.

In any case, I'd like to see it zoomed out normally in-game before critisizing it, but I'm lazy so; It looks great to me. Though if he was an assassin, I would think he would have darker shades of clothes (and not those grey-ish white things making him stick out).

Jora

Arcane
I'm very happy with that model. I like the fact that you're trying to make the character types look different from each other and have different kinds of equipment. The hood and the curved dagger look really cool. How does wearing a hood affect gameplay?

There are slight proportional problems but they aren't as apparent as in the warrior model. In that picture, the armor and especially the helmet are too big for him wear. It's this that makes them look like lego people: the models aren't slim enough and their armor should be thinner and not so broad.

Yeah, he looks a bit more like a skirmisher than an assassin. The obvious armor just makes it apparent that he's looking for trouble and the metal studs would be too reflective for late-night killing. Unless he's disguising himself as a skirmisher to get to a target, of course. The brown color is fine, though, makes him blend in with regular folks better. Nothing saying you can't have a stocky assassin, either. Really he should try to look as ordinary as possible to keep people off their guard. No black billowy cloak to catch the wind and scare off a flock of pigeons who fly away in slow-mo as he drives his knife into a target, no ninja outfit he wears to social occasions, no sinister eyes, no evil scar running down the side of his face, no evil laughter, no cat sitting in his lap that he strokes lovingly while watching the poison take effect in his latest victim, etc.

Twinfalls

Erudite
I say go against established character 'looks'. A short fat assassin, a dapper gentleman thief. Why not? Makes them more memorable. I say make him shorter and fatter.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks, fellas. Very, very helpful.

I think this ("There are slight proportional problems but they aren't as apparent as in the warrior model. In that picture, the armor and especially the helmet are too big for him wear. It's this that makes them look like lego people: the models aren't slim enough and their armor should be thinner and not so broad.") is the answer to the problem. Thanks, Jora.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It might be too small to be worth mentioning but, while I like the model overall, it somehow strikes me that the figure's fingertips are black. Aren't the palms also a little out of proportion (too big)? (I'm not sure my impression myself; perhaps the reason was that the modeller wanted to have each finger as a separate part of the model.)

Vault Dweller

Developer
I've been asked many times how the models would look in the isometric mode. That should give you an idea. We'll post more isometric stuff this week, so stay tuned.

link

Atrokkus

Erudite
I say go against established character 'looks'. A short fat assassin, a dapper gentleman thief. Why not? Makes them more memorable. I say make him shorter and fatter.
It's rebelling just for rebellion's sake.
Plus, shorter and fatter is a halfling in DnD ^_^

However, I'd like to point out that really there is no need in unique garments. Yes, assassin should be dark, but he shouldn't differ too much from the crowd. He must be inconspicuous.

kris

Arcane
Crichton said:
I think the sparkley studs on his legs and arms make him look like he's a faggit wearing glitter (the ones on the vest are fine. That aside, the way his vest perks up at the shoulder also makes him look a little gay, loose those and maybe give him a black cloak. Looks pretty good, I like the pose and the way he holds a knife (it is a stupid way to hold a knife, but I still like how it looks).

I agree on that the glitter parts should not be there. Or the light parts on his leg whatever you want to call it. a Assasin want as little as possible to give hmi away in the dark.

They way he holds the knife is okay, but it would be better if he had it more angled towards his wrist as someone having it turned this way would. but i recognise that may not be possible if the animation is made for other weapons to, for then a sword angled like that would look more stupid than a knife angled like this.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The assassin has been tweaked. See "characters in iso mode" thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom