Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - first 3D screen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Jora

Arcane
The previous screens looked much better. They had style, that's just ugly. Everything seems to be made of legos.

callehe

Liturgist
Looks ok, though I'd prefer 2d.

VD, you said earilier that the animations were made in 3d? Well, The character models on this pic doesnt look nearly as good as those animation pics, how come?

Looking forward to the game though, 2d as well as 3d .-.

Atrokkus

Erudite
They do look kinda cartoonish. You need to rework the palette. Make it a bit less flashy and stuff. Add a realistic feel.
Other than that, I think you are moving in the right direction.
Keep up the good work, just try to get rid of cartoonery.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sandelfron said:
Not bad for a solo effort - what's it coded in?
Not really a solo effort. Torque Engine http://www.garagegames.com/

Whippo said:
Looks promising, I'm sure the graphics will improve during time.
I'm sure. What bothers you now though? That doesn't imply that I think that the graphics are awesome, but I need to know what you liked, what you didn't like. In details.

Jora said:
The previous screens looked much better. They had style, that's just ugly. Everything seems to be made of legos.
I guess this statement is a proof that you can't please everyone. Anyway, again, can you be more specific, what style did you refer to?

callehe said:
VD, you said earilier that the animations were made in 3d? Well, The character models on this pic doesnt look nearly as good as those animation pics, how come?
Less polys. Keep in mind the size though. I'll post a screen with a zoom level corresponding to the normal size shortly.

mEtaLL1x said:
They do look kinda cartoonish. You need to rework the palette. Make it a bit less flashy and stuff. Add a realistic feel.
More details? What's less flashy?

Vishbhume said:
Looks cool. I don't mind the cartoony feel at all.
Thank God, someone actually likes it.

Sandelfron

Scholar
The graphics as they are look 'unfinished' but would be a good place to work from.

Adding more texture maps would help (e.g. the armour, whilst a good model,
could do with grains, dents, subtle designs and colours). I'd also increase the
poly count on the treestumps and barrels.

That engine does look good for prototyping games, though personally I'd
prefer to code everything up myself. Since the scripting language claims
to be C style, this would make it an even more valuable prototyping tool.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Whippo said:
Looks promising, I'm sure the graphics will improve during time.
I'm sure. What bothers you now though? That doesn't imply that I think that the graphics are awesome, but I need to know what you liked, what you didn't like. In details.

There wasn't anything I disliked per se... more I can imagine it will be polished and changed around a bit - as you say it's a first test. Characters might be a bit blocky and bulbous, and everything seems a bit too rounded, but that's probably the cartoony part people keep referring to - I don't find it too horrible, as having a 3d engine will allow things like this scenario, where instead of standing around in a circle, we will actually have sitting people et c. Looks less realistic, but more lifelike sort of...

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, again, can you be more specific, what style did you refer to?
What I meant is that the new screen feels bland and yes, cartoony in a bad way. The level of detail in the tavern shot was much higher and the animated avatars (and the avatars in the screenshot) looked more natural than these.
I also prefer the fixed camera angle of 2D isometric games to the Dungeon Siege/Prelude to Darkness type of 3D games.

Human Shield

Augur
It looks alright but same as I worried about going 3D, it looks plastic'y, cartoony, and blocky. Going to need to see a overhead view that is zoomed out far enough like the 2D screenshots, then dialog mite be reasonable to zoom in on.

The sprites looked cooler, better color pallette and the helmets provided a dark-comic look of shadowed eyes. Don't know if you can get the same style with 3D.

I made this:

screenshot19sn%20copy.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks for the picture, HS. Appreciate your help and efforts. The graphics are unpolished, unlike the 2D avatars you've seen. This screen is a test, nothing more. All I'm asking here is whether or not you see the promise. The rest would be developed, improved, and polished.

Atrokkus

Erudite
That's great. Wish you luck.

So, are the story/dialogs etc finished? Or you do gfx and other stuff simultaneously?
Just how long is it going to take, approximately?

corvax

Augur
Meh. Previous character models were much better looking (more detailed). I guess this can be solved by working on more poly counts. Same goes for tents and barrels. As people mentioned earlier, things look blocky and cartoony but the promise is there. Not sure if the overall change to 3d, considering how much work it needs, would be worth it i.e. whether the game would be able to compete visually with other 3d RPGs.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
mEtaLL1x: I mean the angle and distance.

If you keep the camera the way it was in the 2D version (zoomed out) lack of detail won't be visible at all. I think it's worth the effort, after some work it will look much better than in 2D.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Bah, we're starting to talk like graphic whores !

^_^ Well, I'm an artist myself, so I kinda tend to be critical in this aspect, but still - in RPG I value other things more.

Dregur

Novice
Actually, you know what the screens remind of? Silent Storm in that same cartoony look. I mean, if it looks this good just during a test phase, I think it could look great. Just higher-rez textures or something.

-The Grinman :D

xemous

Arcane
It looks way better than that 2d crap. Are you going to lock the camera and zoom level VD, or allow the user to free form zoom in and rotate.

If it was me I would lock, then I'd have to think more about object placement and level design and such.

Psilon

Erudite
Well, without any kind of visible interface, expect comments solely on the graphics.

I don't have any real problems with the models themselves, but the textures need a bit more contrast. Right now everything looks a bit too plastic; I see where the Lego comments are coming from. Some of those breastplates remind me of the 16-color era, in fact, since only about 2 or 3 shades of gray seem to be involved.

One thing I really suggest you do is turn on shadowing. Torque's got shadow functionality built in--check the samples--and that should be sufficient. Right now, though, it looks like the tents are just hovering over the grass. In fact, I thought the middle tent had some sort of Z-buffering problem before my eyes figured out the proper depths. The shadows don't have to be anything particularly elaborate, but they provide a good location cue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom