Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Orgasm said:
I just have to ask: OCD?

Are You asking me what OCD is, or whether I suffer from it? (Probably not.)

Orgasm said:
Also, maybe I am alone in this but I dont care how you kill some low level, shitty, ridiculously respawning mobs. Just fucking stealth them and only show at least kind of interesting encounters. You are at lvl cap anyway. Faster to BG2.

It can be that you are in some wicked way enjoying this but I pray to all the fr gods that this is not the case.

I'm doing quite a bit of offscreen stealth, but it fails most of the time and I'm too impatient to wait for it to kick in. And sometimes I just prefer to just kill the enemies that stand in the way (especially if it's faster). Although now, that the level cap is reached, I plan to avoid as much non-essential and not interesting enemies as possible.

Orgasm said:
in the first few updates imo best writing

I'm aware of the decline in quality in the latest few. I guess the repetitiveness of generic wilderness caught up to the author's Creativity Ltd and stabbed it with a xvart sword.
It might be a little better in BG2, where there is more variety in quests and locations.

ironyuri said:
Increase the level caaaaaaaap.

I will probably do that in BG2, if the hivemind agrees (especially if I'm to finish ToB). In BG1 it would be too much of a game-breaker to play a character leveled to 9/9/9.
There's not that much ass-kicking to do here anyway. It will be much more fun to unleash UNLIMITED POWAH on dragons and liches than on wyverns and skeleton warriors.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #18: Beregost

codex_m.jpg
So, what do we do now? There's something in Beregost, right?

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask about something. You claim to have gone through this game before, and yet it seems a lot of this stuff is new to You. What's up with that?

codex_m.jpg
I have. A long time ago. I remember the most iconic stuff. Cat in the waterfall. Ogre with the belts. Things like that. For example, in Beregost there's that chick, Silke, right? I remember her. Also, I know we have to go there after the mines, just not sure why.

Ok. There is this guy, Tranzig. We need to get bandit camp location from him.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah. Now I recall him. He's a wimp. So, let's go and kill him, and move on.

We have one thing to do before that.

up18_Baldr001.jpg

It's time to visit our old friend, Thalantyr.

codex_m.jpg
I don't know if I want to call him a 'friend'. When he lived here in solitude, he was kinda cool, and mysterious, and stuff. But now, that he entered this weird gay relationship with Melicamp...

I shall leave this without comment.

up18_Baldr002.jpg

Some spells join our arsenal. Namely: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Detect Invisibility, Fire Arrow and Hold Person.

codex_m.jpg
Mirror Image, finally! Should have gotten it a long time ago.

Yeah, I kept forgetting to buy it every time we were here.

codex_m.jpg
'Forgetting' my ass. I know you wanted to bump up the death count as high as possible, and this spell is a life saver that would make it difficult.

You wound me deeply. How can You suspect me of such deviousness?

codex_m.jpg
I know what I know.

up18_Baldr003.jpg

Time to head for Beregost.

up18_Baldr004.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, that movie was pretty lame.

True. The more people are in an area intro movie, the worse it is. And Beregost has the most.

up18_Baldr005.jpg

Not only is The Codex already at level cap, but he almost has reached XP cap too. When that happens, I'll stop showing these screenshots, so enjoy them while You can.

codex_m.jpg
I'm sure everybody will be absolutely devastated when you stop posting the same dull screenshot over and over again.

up18_Baldr006.jpg

Battle Horror has replaced Revenant as our greatest trophy. We're a tad away from 130 000 XP gained from kills alone.

Before we begin, noble audience. Remember 'no run-throughs' rule I imposed on myself at the start of this LP? The one that obliges me to explore whole area (interiors included) before proceeding to the next one. Well, I've analysed it with my lawyer and it says nothing about screenshotting every interior I explore. So, I am very truly deeply sorry, but I have decided to show You only notable areas of the town. You'll just have to deal with it.

codex_m.jpg
How exactly is this a bad thing?

Well, I'm sure people would prefer to see every house interior of Beregost if they could decide. No?

codex_m.jpg
You do realize these houses have only like three or four layouts in total, meaning most of them are identical to reach other?

Yes. So?

codex_m.jpg
And most of them don't have anything interesting in the loot department.

Your point?

codex_m.jpg
Oh, nothing. You definitely should only screenshot the crucial things. That will show those lazy-asses!

Exactly my thoughts.

up18_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You stalking me, old man? Are all mages around here fags?

You're a mage too.

codex_m.jpg
Multi-classy people don't count.

up18_Baldr008.jpg

First, we visit the local smith, Thunder Hammer.

up18_Baldr009.jpg

Looks like he's not here at the moment.

codex_m.jpg
But his inventory definitely is!

up18_Baldr010.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What do we have here...

up18_Baldr011.jpg

Should sell for a good coin.

up18_Baldr012.jpg

Next stop: Jovial Juggler.

up18_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, hello there, officer. That armor looks really uncomfortable. Why don't you...

Officer Vai here buys bandit scalps (and nothing else) for 50GP each (for comparison, Thalantyr pays 25).

codex_m.jpg
Maybe she wants to open a wig shop or a beauty salon?

Either that, or she's a very creepy person.

She also gives a quest to clear out bandit camp - the reward is a mediocre +1 medium shield. The bad part is she leaves Jovial Juggler after finishing the assignment, never to return, so it's probably better to never tell her about killing the bandit leaders (just make sure to have at least one bandit scalp when talking to her).

up18_Baldr014.jpg

Bjornin tells us about a bunch of half-ogres south of Beregost.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you, paladin boy! Like hell I'm helping you!

Why the sudden aggression?

codex_m.jpg
Paladins. Just can't stand them.

up18_Baldr015.jpg

Gurke wants us to get his cloak back from some tasloi in Cloakwood.

codex_m.jpg
Sure, I'll totally bring you your magic cloak back for some symbollic reward, instead of using it myself or selling it for a lot of gold. You can definitely count on that!

up18_Baldr016.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm always curious what people keep in their houses. Let's enter them at random and check!

Right.

up18_Baldr017.jpg

Four giant spiders. The hell?

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, can't say that was the first thing to come to my mind, when I was guessing what we'll find here.

Wait! I remember now. It's a quest. The lady at Friendly Arm inn asked us to clear her house of spider infestation.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, right! I totally remembered that. That's why I wanted to enter here in the first place, of course!

Of course.

up18_Baldr018.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Nighty-nighty, spideys.

up18_Baldr019.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ha! The Codex: 4, Spiders: 0.

They actually wounded You a little. There, You see?

codex_m.jpg
Yah, I noticed, but 'The Codex: 4, Spiders: 0.08' doesn't sound so good.

up18_Baldr020.jpg

I now remember she wanted us to fetch her shoes and wine too.

codex_m.jpg
Great. I just thought I'm in the mood for some backtracking.

Really?

codex_m.jpg
No.

up18_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I hope you enjoy your fucking boots.

up18_Baldr022.jpg

codex_m.jpg
120 GP and 300 XP? That be a joke?

120 GP for old boots ain't that bad...

up18_Baldr023.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Largest? They all seemed similar in size to me. Why would I carry the largest anyway? Wouldn't it be the heaviest too?

You seek reason where there is none, thus Your efforts are futile.

up18_Baldr024.jpg

codex_m.jpg
This reward is even more lame than the last one! Why are old boots more important to you than killing the spiders!?

Maybe those boots have sentimental value for her?

up18_Baldr025.jpg

codex_m.jpg
75 gold? I'm going to fucking kill her!

No! Reputation! We'll have to pay a lot to the temple!

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up18_Baldr026.jpg

Our total reward is 800 XP and 295 gold. Not that bad, actually.

codex_m.jpg
Can we leave already?

up18_Baldr027.jpg

We have some bandit scalps stashed here. We'll take them with us now.

up18_Baldr028.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I wonder what's in this house. A cave bear, perhaps?

up18_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm sure your husband is perfectly safe and was not gangraped to death by a bunch of ogres just south of the town. Bye!

up18_Baldr030.jpg

Bandit scalps join officer Vai's creepy collection.

up18_Baldr031.jpg

The Codex was hurt a little in the spider fight, so we rest at the Jovial Juggler.

up18_Baldr032.jpg

Time for our main destination here: Feldepost's Inn.

up18_Baldr033.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck off, man! What do you want from me?

Marl's son was an adventurer and died some horrible death, so Marl doesn't like adventurers now. He starts nagging us as soon as we enter the inn. If not reasoned with using the right dialogue options, he attacks.

up18_Baldr034.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Told you to fuck off!

Killing Marl nets 650 XP, and the peaceful solution gives 900, if I recall properly. There's nothing standing in the way of doing both - reason with him first and then kill him. No negative repercussions.

up18_Baldr035.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, hello there...

We have to move on.

codex_m.jpg
What? She's already wasted! A few more rounds and...

Don't even want to listed to this.

up18_Baldr036.jpg

I double-checked here and prices are the same whether Friends are cast before first speaking to the innkeeper, or not. Not sure what to think of it.

up18_Baldr037.jpg

We complete our 'of protection' set and buy a book for a later quest.

After that, we head upstairs.

up18_Baldr038.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sorry, mr Algernon, didn't mean to bump into you, heh, heh, heh.

I see that this is one of the things that you remembered about Beregost.

codex_m.jpg
Yup.

up18_Baldr039.jpg

Actually, there's a quest to steal this cloak given by some guy in the city of Baldur's Gate.

codex_m.jpg
Really? I didn't know that.

Considering that the quest is ignored by basically everyone anyway, that wasn't much of a hole in Your knowledge.

up18_Baldr040.jpg

Charisma of 11 ups The Codex' reaction modifier to 0 (from earlier -1). Sorry, but I forgot to scroll the in-game screen to show that.
Also, amulet of protection replaces the cloak.

up18_Baldr041.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm not afraid of you, wimp.

up18_Baldr042.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck, he splashed me with the blood of xenomorph!

up18_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Like hell you're leaving!

up18_Baldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm melting! I'm melting!

up18_Baldr045.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Whew, saved! I would lose all self-respect, if I died fighting Tranzig...

You have died fighting gibberlings before.

codex_m.jpg
But not when max-leveled.

up18_Baldr046.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How does my sword feel down your throat, HUH!?

up18_Baldr047.jpg

Some loot.

codex_m.jpg
I don't need any of these magic items, but they can always be sold.

up18_Baldr048.jpg

A quick rest to recover.

up18_Baldr049.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, hello there...

Can we please move on?

codex_m.jpg
I'll get back to you when done with saving the world, ladies...

up18_Baldr050.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I guess we're back to checking houses? Let's start with this one.

up18_Baldr051.jpg

codex_m.jpg
'Reimburse' me? Is that some kind of gay slang? What is with all you wizards nowadays?

We have the book he wants, but it seems that completing this quest gives a point of reputation, so we will save it for later, in case something unexpected makes us lose rep.
Also, it turns out this guy's name is Firebeard Elvenhair not Firebead. Shame on You, Bioware.

up18_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Let's check this large house here.

up18_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I 'look like a strong group of warriors'? What have you been drinking here?

up18_Baldr054.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fucking liar. There's nobody else here. Never was and never will be. This place is probably burdened with mortgage and you want off as fast as possible, admit it.

up18_Baldr055.jpg

He doesn't have anything of value, unfortunately.

codex_m.jpg
Actually, I kind of like his helmet. I'm rather bored with the one I have. Let's switch.

up18_Baldr056.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I wouldn't count on it, if I were you.

up18_Baldr057.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I wonder who lives here... and what they keep in their underwear drawer.

Okay, that's kind of creepy.

up18_Baldr058.jpg

We manage to find something usable here - a healing potion.

codex_m.jpg
Have you noticed how peacuful they look in their sleep...?

Ookaaay, that's very creepy. I think we're done with the night break-ins. Let's wait until morning before moving on.

up18_Baldr059.jpg

We begin next day with visiting Thunder Hammer.

up18_Baldr060.jpg

Dagger of Venom will replace short sword +2 as our backstabbing tool.

codex_m.jpg
Doesn't it deal less damage?

Trust me on this one. :smug:

up18_Baldr061.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Another inn? How many of them are there in this town?

Four, I think.

codex_m.jpg
I guess inhabitants of this town have one idea of spending leisure time.

up18_Baldr062.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What is with all these people? Do they really think I will give them their magic gear back after risking death to get it?

Sometimes it doesn't even end with 'risking'.

codex_m.jpg
I think those dark times are all behind us. I'm too badass to die now.

up18_Baldr063.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No, you're not getting your boots back! Sucker!

I think You've been had there.

codex_m.jpg
What? Why?

Forget I said anything. Let's go.

up18_Baldr064.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I remember her being kind of hot.

And a bitch.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, that too.

up18_Baldr065.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No worries, I'm completely unswayable!

Right.

codex_m.jpg
By a man.

up18_Baldr066.jpg

codex_m.jpg
They're as good as dead!

Actually, we chose the other dialogue option.

codex_m.jpg
What? Why?

Just roll with it.

up18_Baldr067.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Improved Invisibility. I won't be able to cast on her even when she appears. But wait, I remember buying detect invisibility from Thalantyr. Have we prepared it?

Let me check... Uh, no.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck.

up18_Baldr068.jpg

codex_m.jpg
It's been a long day, Silke, you must be very tired!

up18_Baldr069.jpg

She's casting some kind of spell.

codex_m.jpg
No shit. Silke, uh, I was only joking. I'm really on your side!

up18_Baldr070.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! FUCK! SHIT! FUCK!

After casting the spell, Silke retreats into the nearby inn.

up18_Baldr071.jpg

The Codex follows, after casting Mirror Image and Blur.

up18_Baldr072.jpg

There she is!

codex_m.jpg
You're so dead now, bitch!

up18_Baldr073.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What! Who the fuck are you!?

Right. There's an assassin here. Forgot about him.

codex_m.jpg
Forgot!?

up18_Baldr074.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Pissed off now! I will slaughter both you and that fucking bitch!

up18_Baldr075.jpg

Well, suffice to say, it didn't quite go according to The Codex' cunning plan.

Death count: 74

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Did I just fucking die fighting fucking Silke?

Well.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking Silke, who usually dies by the fucking hands of fucking level one adventurers?

I think she might have been level-scaled. I don't recall her ever casting lightning.

codex_m.jpg
I am fucking going to fuck her over and burn her fucking corpse!

up18_Baldr076.jpg

Protection spells are cast before talking to Silke this time.

up18_Baldr077.jpg

Silke resists Sleep again, but her Lightning Bolt strikes one of the images, not harming The Codex at all.

codex_m.jpg
Mirror Image, bitch!

up18_Baldr078.jpg

She retreats into the inn again, hitting another one of The Codex' images with a lightning. Karlat also gets wounded in the process.

codex_m.jpg
HELL YEAH! MIRROR IMAGE FTW!

up18_Baldr079.jpg

codex_m.jpg
SUCK SWORD'S COCK, BITCH!

I like how Garrick and the three merchants don't really give a fuck about the whole fighting happening around them. I'd give a lot to be able to keep my cool in a situation like this. I bet they're discussing the weather.

up18_Baldr080.jpg

Silke drops some loot. This staff +1 is, for many parties, the first magic weapon they lay their hands on.

codex_m.jpg
Don't remind me.

up18_Baldr081.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Thanks for doing nothing when she was fucking me over, shit-eaters! I should kill you too!

up18_Baldr082.jpg

The reward they give us is a potion of defense that temporarily reduces AC to 0. Silke also dropped a potion of invulnerability (the real one), which does the same, while also providing +5 bonus to saving throws.

up18_Baldr083.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Of course, you could. I'm sure you're not the most useless joinable NPC in the game at all!

up18_Baldr084.jpg

codex_m.jpg
20 HP at this level?

He also doesn't have anything interesting.

up18_Baldr085.jpg

codex_m.jpg
If your ballad mentions that I died fighting Silke, I will fucking find you and shove sword up your ass!

Time to go back inside to kill Karlat, who for some reason didn't follow us and Silke outside earlier.

codex_m.jpg
Quite reasonable of him, after what that bitch did with her lightning there.

Ok, true.

up18_Baldr086.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You want a piece of me? Why don't we step outside to resolve this dispute?

up18_Baldr087.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Honestly, I didn't actually expect him to listen...

up18_Baldr088.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

Karlat dies at exactly the same spot Silke died earlier, providing some kind of cosmic irony to the situation. Garrick watches and takes notes for his ballad, probably fapping in the process.

No significant loot this time.

up18_Baldr089.jpg

We return Perdue's sword. It must be really special for him, since he was waiting here for someone to return it for over half a year, instead of just buying another one.

codex_m.jpg
I don't see anything odd with that. Do you see something odd with that, sword? See, sword agrees with me!

Right.

up18_Baldr090.jpg

Despite the dialogue saying otherwise, we get no gold from Perdue.

codex_m.jpg
What a ripoff!

up18_Baldr092.jpg

codex_m.jpg
This house looks like a rich one. Let's see if they will be able to suport me in my travels.

up18_Baldr093.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Could it be...?

up18_Baldr095.jpg

Unfortunately, no. Just a normal wand of lightning.

codex_m.jpg
Shit.

up18_Baldr094.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How nice of these people to know what might be useful in adventurer's life.

up18_Baldr096.jpg

Area completed!
-------------------------

Next time: Ankhegs!

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah, them I remember. And they're not very pleasant memories.

I'm sure everything will be fine this time. :smug:

Last edited:

taplonaplo

Scholar
Silke could always cast lighning, usually fragging my little lvl 1 npcs if she got lucky with mirror image(. Sleep shouldn't even work on her, improved invisibility is lvl 4 spell so she should be at least lvl 7 and iirc sleep only knocks out enemies under lvl 5.

Also, i've never seen dagger of venom in action, so i'm waiting for those dreaded backstabs now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #19: Ankhegs!

Ok, since probably from now on we will operate north of Beregost only, it's time to do the one thing worth doing south of it (unless we decide to come back for necklace of fireballs at some time).

codex_m.jpg
The one thing being?

up19_Baldr001.jpg

Being this.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, yes. Yeeeesss.

up19_Baldr002.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What? Why are we stashing the sweet wand of fire away?

We'll take one status effect wand (paralyze) and one damaging wand (lightning) with us, not to clutter the inventory. We will come back for others when needed.

codex_m.jpg
I really could use a bag of holding right now.

up19_Baldr003.jpg

Tranzig mentions Peldvale and Larswood in his letters, but we will ignore them both, and instead go to Bandit Camp through here. That will bring us one step closer to the city of Baldur's Gate too.

up19_Baldr004.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I already know I can expect ankhegs here. Anything else?

Sure. More ankhegs.

codex_m.jpg
Just fucking great.

up19_Baldr005.jpg

The level cap has been reached. Any enemy we kill from now that doesn't drop significant loot is a waste of time and effort.

codex_m.jpg
Thanks for the reminder. Really motivating. How about we sneak by all the ankhegs here then?

I think we can try.

up19_Baldr006.jpg

Will we reach 1000 kills in this update? Such excitement!

codex_m.jpg
Right.

Out of total 161 000 XP we were able to collect, araound 134 000 were from kills. Granted, we ignored a few quests, but that still says a lot about XP balance present in the game.

up19_Baldr007.jpg

We encounter two ankhegs down the road, after sneaking fails a few time and I get impatient.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck.

up19_Baldr008.jpg

Akhegs immediately start by spitting some green shit towards The Codex, like they were spawns of Reptilicus. Our hero responds by casting Skull Trap.

codex_m.jpg
Damn cockroaches! DIE!

up19_Baldr009.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck! Hurts! I hate ankhegs!

up19_Baldr010.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Here's a lightning for ya! Like it!? Wait, where did the other one go?

up19_Baldr011.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The fuck!? Get away from me!

up19_Baldr012.jpg

Yeah, that didn't go too well...

Death count: 75

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
That's it! No more mr nice guy! I'm going to fuck them over!

up19_Baldr014.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Stay where you are, buggies! I have a gift for you!

up19_Baldr015.jpg

codex_m.jpg
HA! ULTRA CHARGED!

up19_Baldr016.jpg

Unfortunately, lightning bolt comes back the exact same way we sent it, only backwards. The Codex is a little surprised.

Death count: 76

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I think, maybe we should put mirror image and blur to good use.

It will be kind of lame if we resolve every combat with Mirror Image. How about we use it only if other tactics fail?

codex_m.jpg
Obviously, the last attempt was a failure.

Ah, but there is the rule of three. That means one more try.

up19_Baldr018.jpg

And so next attempt to win this epic encounter begins. The opener is not very impressive, as Lightning Bolt only wounds first of the ankhegs, and stops there.

codex_m.jpg
Now it decided to fail like this. Why am I not surprised?

up19_Baldr019.jpg

One of the ankhegs is killed, but the other one shows The Codex why we should always wet ourselves in fear when thinking of them.

codex_m.jpg
OW! This green stuff is fucking disgusting!

A quickly-cast healing gives us some hope of surviving.

up19_Baldr020.jpg

codex_m.jpg
YES! Good job, bow!

up19_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No. I'm not carrying these.

They're worth quite a bit of coin to the Thunder Hammer.

codex_m.jpg
Forget it. Each of these weighs 100 pounds, and I'm not travelling to Beregost every time we find two.

Alright, alright.

up19_Baldr022.jpg

A quick rest to recover from ankheg-induced wounds.

codex_m.jpg
And to wash myself off this green spit of theirs.

up19_Baldr023.jpg

Ankheg inbund!

codex_m.jpg
Only one? I'll dance on its grave in a few moments!

up19_Baldr024.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, fuck.

up19_Baldr025.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Shit, not this Tremors-thing again!

up19_Baldr026.jpg

codex_m.jpg
BURN, INSECT!

up19_Baldr027.jpg

Well, shit.

Death count: 77

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I'm guessing it's two more deaths before you'll let me use Mirror Image?

Yup.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck that PST shit.

up19_Baldr028.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Here, catch!

up19_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Should be ok as long as they stay at a distance!

Yeah, the -8 AC vs. missiles gives us a bit of advantage here.

up19_Baldr030.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! Should've kept my mouth shut!

Looks like one of them got stuck underground. Let's exploit the shit out of that.

codex_m.jpg
All for it!

up19_Baldr031.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Not that tough one on one, HUH!?

Indeed, they die without even touching The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Sword rules!

up19_Baldr032.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There are some people here. Shouldn't I talk to them?

Why would You waste time on lowly peasants? Just ignore them.

codex_m.jpg
Ok.

up19_Baldr033.jpg

A house waiting to be robbed explored.

up19_Baldr034.jpg

Nothing interesting inside.

up19_Baldr035.jpg

And another one.

up19_Baldr036.jpg

Loot inside is equally unworthy of mentioning.

up19_Baldr037.jpg

We try to sneak by the next two ankhegs, but it fails spectacularly.

codex_m.jpg
I think we have to rethink skill points allocation next time I level up as a thief.

up19_Baldr038.jpg

Being kind of bored with dying here, we start by casting Mirror Image.

codex_m.jpg
Now, that's a corect attitude!

up19_Baldr039.jpg

We also treat them with a charge of a wand of lightning, so that they take us seriously.

up19_Baldr040.jpg

It seems that Mirror Image was a good idea, since all of the images are destroyed before we manage to kill them both. The Codex also gets his share of damage.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah! No deaths! I rock!

up19_Baldr041.jpg

A quick rest.

up19_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I know the drill. Ignore the peasant, loot the house.

Exactly.

up19_Baldr044.jpg

There are three chests in this house. That means exactly 50% more of nothing interesting.

up19_Baldr045.jpg

While sneak-scouting the rest of the area, we meet some guy on the road.

up19_Baldr046.jpg

It's Ajantis, a joinable NPC.

codex_m.jpg
He's a paladin, right?

Yes. Why?

codex_m.jpg
Just making sure.

up19_Baldr048.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Come on, pally-boy! Show me what you got!

up19_Baldr049.jpg

A hardcore two-handed sword duel ensues, with both sides suffering severe wounds.

up19_Baldr050.jpg

In the end, The Codex wins, by a large margin.

codex_m.jpg
Damn paladin plague! I will rid the Faerun of you some day!

up19_Baldr051.jpg

Ajantis drops a plate armor, worth a couple of hundred GP for us.

codex_m.jpg
And a non-standard helmet. Maybe I can replace my current one?

up19_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
On second thought, I think i'll just leave it here with the paladin corpse.

Or you can buy back ankheg armor and make a nice purple-pink set.

codex_m.jpg
The pink cloak I'm wearing is already the maximum amount of gayness I can endure, so no.

up19_Baldr053.jpg

Ankheg hole. What do you think?

codex_m.jpg
What hole? I don't see any.

Good point. Let's move on.

up19_Baldr054.jpg

Another stealth attempt ends in a failure.

codex_m.jpg
Shit! Retreat!

up19_Baldr055.jpg

What? A one-shot kill? How is that even possible?

Death count: 78

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Before you ask. No, I'm not smouldering with revenge rage over that death. I'm feeling very generous today and am willing to forgive those mislead earthworms for their sins. Let's just sneak by them again.

Ok.

up19_Baldr056.jpg

And this time we manage to do it successfully.

up19_Baldr058.jpg

Area completed!
--------------------

Next time: we loot the bandit camp, dealing a lot of death on the way...

codex_m.jpg
Wow, it sounds almost to good to be true.

...and collecting some ourselves.

codex_m.jpg
Right.

Last edited:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
MicoSelva said:

Great update :thumbsup:

Ahh Ankhegs...

You gotta love the bastards. The can make a mincemeat even from the most experience party.

However, in vanilla unmodded BG1 there is a simple handy 1st level spell that saves your ass while dealing with them. The name is "Blind" I think. It causes them to mindlesly sit in one place not even attempting to attack you.

I remember exploiting that while visiting the area with my 1st level specialist mage and Kivan.

Not sure if it works as described in BGtutu, though.

The codex sure could use a better sword, having to resort to a short sword with no proficiency every time you encounter something immune to normal weapons seems a bit dangerous for the welfare of the Codex.

Erebus

Arcane
Y'know, you're already soloing on insane difficulty, you don't need to make it even more difficult by not using Mirror Image. :)

taplonaplo

Scholar
They hit pretty hard, which gets better with insane, but their thac0 isn't all that scary.

Shame you skipped the ankheg hole. There's a wand of fire if memory serves well. Just cast an invisibility, explore the cave, loot, kill the 1-2 ankheg in sight, cast invisibility again and you are gold... with some extra firepower.

On the other hand bandit camp means scroll of fireball, so who knows how useful that wand would be anyway.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Mrowak said:
However, in vanilla unmodded BG1 there is a simple handy 1st level spell that saves your ass while dealing with them. The name is "Blind" I think. It causes them to mindlesly sit in one place not even attempting to attack you.

I keep forgetting to prepare Blind. And it would be really handy to have against strong melee characters (Greywolf, Taugosz Khosann...). I hope I remember about it before facing wyverns.

Merkwürdigliebe said:
The codex sure could use a better sword, having to resort to a short sword with no proficiency every time you encounter something immune to normal weapons seems a bit dangerous for the welfare of the Codex.

We'll get Spiderbane soon. It should be a remedy for all such trouble.

Erebus said:
Y'know, you're already soloing on insane difficulty, you don't need to make it even more difficult by not using Mirror Image.

It's more like trying to not make it monotonous and cast Mirror Image before every fight. But since it does speed things up considerably, I will probably start doing it anyway.

taplonaplo said:
bandit camp means scroll of fireball

Really? Where is it exactly? I must have missed it.

taplonaplo

Scholar
In one of the smaller tents, no idea which i one, but i'm pretty sure it's actually there somewhere.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #20: Looting The Bandit Camp

We finally have access to bandit HQ in the Sword Coast, so let's slaughter some bandits!

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha, slaughter!

But first, we rest a bit at FAI.

up20_Baldr000.jpg

It seems that I was talking out of my ass when said that Khalid and Jaheira will be waiting here indefinitely if we talk to them. They're gone.

codex_m.jpg
Critical failure on Knowledge (Gaming) skill check.

up20_Baldr001.jpg

Bandit camp is not far away. Actually it borders the ankheg-infested farms. Despite that, there were no bandits there at all.

codex_m.jpg
This only shows that bandits, unlike us, are reasonable and stay as far as possible from the fucking akhegs.

up20_Baldr002.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wow, that movie was threatening AS HELL. I mean, there are GNOLLS here! And HOBGOBLINS! What other horrors will we encounter? Gibberlings, maybe? Wolves?

up20_Baldr003.jpg

Finally exceeded 1000 kills. Also, I was wrong that we won't gather as much XP in chapters #2-#7 as we have gathered in #1. Durlag's Tower proved otherwise.

up20_Baldr004.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Look, I'm sneaking by these dogs, and not willing to kill them at all.

I am very grateful to You for that.

codex_m.jpg
Not as much as the audience is. :smug:

up20_Baldr006.jpg

We want to explore the wilderness around the camp first, but at one point we wander too close. One of the bandits pays for our mistake with his life.

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up20_Baldr007.jpg

We walk onto some skeletons while not hidden.

up20_Baldr010.jpg

But they are easily dealt with.

up20_Baldr011.jpg

We sneak by another group.

up20_Baldr012.jpg

The Codex 1337 stealth SKILLZ fail him at one moment.

up20_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Shush, no shouting and alarming anyone.

up20_Baldr014.jpg

We get in range of a Chill Hobgoblin when trying to loot the corpse.

codex_m.jpg
'Chill' you say?

up20_Baldr015.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'd rather say DEAD COLD, heh, heh, heh.

What happened to the pun-hatred You've shown earlier?

codex_m.jpg
I'm in a good mood today.

For some particular reason?

codex_m.jpg
Fucking GNOLLS and HOBGOBLINS, man! It will be a glorious SLAUGHTER!

up20_Baldr016.jpg

We pass two more chilly hobos when sneaking through the camp.

codex_m.jpg
Wait, I want to fight them.

Why exactly?

codex_m.jpg
Because they're just so COOL, heh, heh.

up20_Baldr017.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! It was a bad idea!

up20_Baldr018.jpg

Indeed, it was.

Death count: 79

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Let's sneak by after all.

up20_Baldr019.jpg

We do exactly that.

up20_Baldr020.jpg

Passing some bandits.

up20_Baldr021.jpg

And more bandits.

codex_m.jpg
There's fucking lot of bandits here.

Guess what: it's called 'bandit camp'.

up20_Baldr022.jpg

Stealth fails at the best funniest worst possible moment - while we try to sneak by Taugosz Khosann aka Bandit Uber Tank.

codex_m.jpg
Geezus fucking kreist!

up20_Baldr023.jpg

It soon turns into a multi-level clusterfuck.

codex_m.jpg
MIRROR IMAGE!

up20_Baldr024.jpg

We try some magic crowd-control, but the spell is interupted. In the meantime, our mirror images are destroyed.

codex_m.jpg
I am so fucking dead, I can already apply to the army of darkness!

up20_Baldr025.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! My face! You'll pay me for that after we reload!

up20_Baldr026.jpg

But against all odds, The Codex doesn't die. A potion of inviisbilty saves his life and allows for a retreat.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah, this is what I call good resource management!

up20_Baldr027.jpg

After a quick rest, we're ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

codex_m.jpg
Chew the what-now?

Whatever. Ready for another sneak attempt?

codex_m.jpg
Forget it. That unpronounceable name guy needs to die.

You mean Taugosz Khosann?

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, the pollack-sounding one. See what he's done to my face? That'll leave a scar!

I honestly think that his name is easier to pronounce than the word 'unpronounceable'.

up20_Baldr029.jpg

We take care of the sidekick bandits first, to reduce the clusterfuckness of upcoming fight.

up20_Baldr031.jpg

The bad side is that The Codex gets seriously wounded while killing them, but we can remedy that.

up20_Baldr033.jpg

We cast healing and a couple of protection spells to prepare.

up20_Baldr034.jpg

We open the fight with a cheap shot that will determine the outcome, if successful.

codex_m.jpg
Freeze!

up20_Baldr035.jpg

It doesn't work.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up20_Baldr036.jpg

Since The Codex' melee THAC0 is far from impressive (11) and hitting full-plate clad Taugosz is more than a minor problem, we try to Color-Spray him into unconsciousness. But he doesn't give a fuck.

codex_m.jpg
Dammit!

up20_Baldr037.jpg

We employ wand of lightning against him, but this tactic backfires, or rather back-charges, rather heavily. Notice that 24 damage was dealt after a successful Save Vs Wands. How does that fit into '6D6, halved after save' - I have no idea.

codex_m.jpg
Cock-sucker sunuvabitch!

up20_Baldr038.jpg

We change our approach into 'run the fuck away and shoot him from afar.'

codex_m.jpg
Shiiiiit!

up20_Baldr039.jpg

We manage to increase the distance enough to shoot another lightning bolt. This time without hitting The Codex too.

codex_m.jpg
YES!

up20_Baldr040.jpg

But further retreat puts us in range of some hobgoblin elites.

codex_m.jpg
NO!

Luckily for us, lazy bastards don't follow us when we run the other way, and we stay only with Taugosz on our tail.

up20_Baldr041.jpg

Next lightning bolt kills him. Not a moment to soon, since it was the the wand's last charge.

codex_m.jpg
FUCK YES! DIE, SHIT-EATING ASSFACE!

up20_Baldr042.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Full plate armor and magical shield. No wonder he was so hard to hit.

The potions he dropped are fiery breath (similar to Burning Hands spell, but with better damage) and endurance (increases constitution to 18 for some time). Of course I don't use the latter one immediately and later forget about it.

codex_m.jpg
Of course.

up20_Baldr045.jpg

We'll keep this armor for now, in case we need layers of steel between us and some enemy's weapon.

up20_Baldr046.jpg

Wearing it gives us AC of -4. That means -12 against missiles.

codex_m.jpg
Nice.

Of course, we revert to the more versatile robe of archmagi for now.

up20_Baldr047.jpg

A quick rest to recover from psychic trauma caused by meeting Taugosz Khosann.

up20_Baldr048.jpg

Some more scouting at the edge of the camp costs another bandit his life.

codex_m.jpg
It's really weird that they're all male here. Is this some kind of fraternity of bald gay people wearing toupees?

Somehow, that's a really disturbing image.

up20_Baldr049.jpg

Another Chill Hobgoblin is cut down.

codex_m.jpg
I guess he thinks 'that is so not cool' now.

up20_Baldr051.jpg

We sneak by some more of them to gain acess to the tent-huts. We pass Ardenor Crush on the way - he's kind of a hobgoblin leader here.

codex_m.jpg
He's named and red-circled, so he needs to die.

Yes, but not right now.

up20_Baldr052.jpg

We enter the first hut. Some hobgoblin named Tersus here.

up20_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Not anymore.

up20_Baldr054.jpg

Time to loot the place.

up20_Baldr056.jpg

This fake oil of speed is the only interesting thing we find here, and by interesting I don't mean 'worth taking'.

Unless of course, You want to try if it's a 'premanent effect' oil of speed?

codex_m.jpg
Thanks, but no thanks.

up20_Baldr057.jpg

The second hut.

codex_m.jpg
Only some gnolls here. Lame.

That one there is a flind.

codex_m.jpg
Well, that certainly changes everything, doesn't it?

Guess not.

codex_m.jpg
Then why don't you shut up!

up20_Baldr059.jpg

They all die quickly.

up20_Baldr060.jpg

More looting, but still nothing interesting is found.

codex_m.jpg
I am disappoint.

up20_Baldr064.jpg

We find a lone Chill Hobgoblin. He's colored-sprayed and killed so he doesn't bother us when we loot outside containers here.

up20_Baldr065.jpg

I couldn't cursor-hunt an entrance to this tent and gave up on it.

up20_Baldr067.jpg

We finally find some usable loot, but it's all still far from impressive.

up20_Baldr070.jpg

We meet this guy in another hut. After a short talk, he leaves.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck, wait! Shit, I should have killed him. What if he raises and alarm, or something?

No, I think it's cool.

codex_m.jpg
With all these Chill Hobgoblins around, definitely.

up20_Baldr071.jpg

Another disappointing set of containers is looted.

up20_Baldr072.jpg

We pass a lone hobgoblin guard and enter a cave behind the camp.

codex_m.jpg
I smell a cave bear...

up20_Baldr074.jpg

Actually, it's infested with gnolls.

codex_m.jpg
Gnolls and hobgoblins. I forgot. SKULL TRAP!

up20_Baldr075.jpg

It seems they are imprisoned here for some reason.

codex_m.jpg
I'm going to rid them of that problem soon enough.

up20_Baldr076.jpg

There's still a lot of them after the Skull Trap, so we cast Mirror Image for protection.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, yeah!

up20_Baldr077.jpg

Images drop like crazy, so we add Sleep to the mix.

codex_m.jpg
Goodnight, doggies!

up20_Baldr078.jpg

It's rather easy from there. The leader, Garclax, dies as the last one.

codex_m.jpg
Bad hyena! Die!

up20_Baldr082.jpg

Mopping up some gnolls hidden in the side cave.

up20_Baldr083.jpg

Our cunning plan to backstab some lone bandit fails together with a Hide in Shadows skill check.

up20_Baldr084.jpg

Not that it helps the bandit in any way, of course.

codex_m.jpg
You rock as always, sword!

up20_Baldr085.jpg

We find a potion of perception (increases thieving skills) in one of the chests outside.

up20_Baldr088.jpg

Approaching the bandit leaders' tent.

up20_Baldr089.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I do?

up20_Baldr090.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Arrow to the lung says otherwise!

up20_Baldr094.jpg

Finally we're starting to find some decent loot.

codex_m.jpg
About time.

up20_Baldr095.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up20_Baldr096.jpg

This is still not useful, but at least sellable for a good price.

codex_m.jpg
KA-CHING!

up20_Baldr097.jpg

Well, well, much better.

up20_Baldr098.jpg

Wand of Fear works similarly to the Horror spell, but the effect is a bit longer, if I'm not mistaken.

codex_m.jpg
I think I should induce fear in enemies with my presence alone, but the wand might be a decent substitute for that, I guess.

up20_Baldr099.jpg

We rest before entering.

up20_Baldr100.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'll bring all my friends with me to this fight: the sword, the bow, mirror image and blur.

up20_Baldr101.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Two humans and a gnoll? I am disappoint. No hobgoblin in sight!

up20_Baldr103.jpg

Actually. The 'in sight' part is the key here. The fourth bandit leader, and arguably the most deadly one, is hidden in the fog of war. As long as The Codex stands in one place, he should be relatively safe.

codex_m.jpg
I think 'relatively' is another keyword here!

up20_Baldr104.jpg

We start with a clever thing and a mistake. The clever thing is paralyzing the mage. This eliminates him, so we don't need to spike him with arrows to disrupt his spellcasting (especially that he is mirror imaged too). The mistake is that The Codex wields the bow anyway, and Raemon (human fighter) gets a lucky hit in.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck! You'll pay with a gallon of blood for each drop of mine spilled!

up20_Baldr105.jpg

We cast cure light wounds once, but Raemon has heaps more luck than brains. He manages to hit The Codex again, despite all images still being present. Our hero starts repaying the debt immediately.

codex_m.jpg
And the interest will be pretty high!

up20_Baldr106.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ha! Sword in gut! Like it!?

One down. Two (three) to go.

up20_Baldr107.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! My spleen!

Britik the gnoll hits hard. If not for the earlier healing, this fight would be over now.

codex_m.jpg
Mirror image, why do you fail me!?

up20_Baldr108.jpg

We Color-Spray Britik into oblivion.

up20_Baldr109.jpg

And he falls.

codex_m.jpg
Nice sleeping hyena... Don't move!

up20_Baldr110.jpg

codex_m.jpg
THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR HURTING THE CODEX!

One (two) more to go.

up20_Baldr111.jpg

We immediately start spiking Vendt with arrows. Paralyze wears off before he dies, but The Codex manages to resist the one spell that is cast before the mage's inevitable demise.

codex_m.jpg
I am so awesome right now!

up20_Baldr112.jpg

The only one left is Hakt the hobgoblin archer. We have a plan how to deal with him.

codex_m.jpg
Cloak engaged!

up20_Baldr114.jpg

codex_m.jpg
SNEAK ATTACK!

Not only he died and exploded in ludicrous gibbs, but also was poisoned. Talk about bad luck.

up20_Baldr115.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, hello there, gorgeous!

up20_Baldr116.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You are my new best friend, are you not? Yes, you are! Nice bow. Good bow.

Okay. Creepy. And what about the previous bow?

codex_m.jpg
He better leave his own way. I don't like him anymore!

up20_Baldr117.jpg

The new bow brings The Codex' THAC0 down to 5, which is pretty awesome for BG1.

codex_m.jpg
I'm coming, Drizzt. Just you wait.

up20_Baldr118.jpg

Looting the corpses. The mage dropped a bunch of useless spells. At least the potions are nice.

up20_Baldr119.jpg

Arrows of frost are the best loot we get from the Black Talon leader.

codex_m.jpg
Lame.

up20_Baldr120.jpg

There's a potion of magic blocking in one of the chests. Nice.

up20_Baldr122.jpg

We meet this mysterious guy here. It turns out he's a prisoner of sorts.

up20_Baldr123.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Blah, blah, blah, exposition. Can you go already!

up20_Baldr124.jpg

The end-chapter chest is not locked, but it is trapped.

codex_m.jpg
How clever of them...

up20_Baldr125.jpg

codex_m.jpg
2K gold? Nice!

We also get one new spell - Stinking Cloud.

up20_Baldr126.jpg

Taking one of the scrolls triggers a new chapter.

codex_m.jpg
I don't hink any of these scrolls concern me. They all say about some 'group of mercenaries' that Sarevok wants dead. Sucks to be them, I guess.

up20_Baldr127.jpg

A quick rest before moving on.

codex_m.jpg
What 'moving on'? Aren't we finished here?

up20_Baldr128.jpg

Oh yeah: area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Exactly.

But we still have one more thing to do.

codex_m.jpg
Wait. There was something. I vaguely recall some named hobgoblin guy from before.

up20_Baldr129.jpg

Exactly.

codex_m.jpg
Skull trap!

up20_Baldr130.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Come on! Show me what you got in your pants, hobos!

What? Ewww.

codex_m.jpg
Not literally, of course!

up20_Baldr132.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Chill, guys!

up20_Baldr133.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I could so open a museum of wax figures right now.

Watch out, there's some bandit with a bow there.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah, didn't notice him.

up20_Baldr134.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Should have stayed out of this, pal! Big Bang Magic Missile!

up20_Baldr135.jpg

The clever editing suggests that tag-along bandit was killed by the Magic Missile, but in reality a second one was needed, a moment later. That's why one of the hobgoblins is dead in this screenshot already.

codex_m.jpg
We all thank you for this much-needed and entertaining explanation.

up20_Baldr136.jpg

The paralyzed hobgoblins are not much of a resistance to The Codex' might.

codex_m.jpg
Well said!

up20_Baldr138.jpg

We find some flaming oil nearby. Quite nice.

up20_Baldr139.jpg

And - even better - a potion of heroism.

codex_m.jpg
Sweet! Now, some arrows of piercing and here we come, Drizzt!

Yes, and yes.
---------------------------

Next time: we begin the long task of sneaking through Cloakwood Forest and have an unpleasant encounter with some druids.

codex_m.jpg
Unpleasant for them, right? RIGHT?

Last edited:

ironyuri

Didn't someone say something about a scroll of fireball at the bandit camp?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
EDIT: After rethinking the situation, I've decided to post update #21 on the next page. Please bump the thread, noble audience (only 2 posts needed).
Thank You.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #21: Cloakwood Deaths, part I - Druids

Alright people, there's bad news, and there's good news. And there's more bad news.
The bad news is that Bandit Camp was a short and non-tedious part of the main quest, and now we're entering the longest and most tedious one: Cloakwood Forest.
The good news is that we will probably try to stealth trough, avoiding enemies as much as possible.
And the more bad news is that sneaking will probably fail most of the time, and I won't spare You any single tasloi we encounter, of course.

codex_m.jpg
You wouldn't land a job in marketing...

I'm only trying to be honest.

codex_m.jpg
I'm rather thinking you get some kind of kick from scaring audience away. You probably should seek help.

up21_Baldr000.jpg

First, a new wand to replace the used up one. Wands of Frost in BG1 kind of suck, since they only shoot a single bolt of ice (similar to a Winter Wolf's attack) instead of a proper cone of cold. Granted, it's pretty powerful, theoretically dealing 16-48 damage (half when saved).

up21_Baldr001.jpg

The Codex has another divine dream when we rest at the inn.

codex_m.jpg
Ascension is nearly within my reach now!

Dream on.

up21_Baldr002.jpg

Since storage space is one of our biggest problems, we'll do a bit of gamble here. Having the ability to magically slow poison, we stash the antidote here at the inn. This might bite us in the ass, but I'm willing to take that risk.

codex_m.jpg
You're willing to take it, because it's my ass that will be bitten, not yours!

up21_Baldr004.jpg

Cloakwood Forest is linear as fuck. We'll have to complete each are before moving on to the next one. We start here.

up21_Baldr005.jpg

The journey is short and uneventful.

codex_m.jpg
So far so good.

up21_Baldr006.jpg

The Codex' stats so far.

up21_Baldr007.jpg

Our first encounter here is some tasloi.

codex_m.jpg
No worries, I should be easily able to sneak by them.

Actually, we're going to kill them.

codex_m.jpg
What? Why?

You'll see.

up21_Baldr011.jpg

A bunch of tasloi is no challenge for The Codex, of course.

up21_Baldr012.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hey, one of them dropped something shiny!

Exactly.

up21_Baldr013.jpg

This is the cloak Gurke asked us to retrieve for him, back in Beregost. Actually, we might just do that - or sell it, since it's not all that useful for The Codex. However, if this was BG2, with enemy mages spamming True Sight every five seconds, it would be one of the best items around.

up21_Baldr015.jpg

More tasloi. These will be ignored.

codex_m.jpg
Thank gods.

up21_Baldr017.jpg

Some spiders. Also ignored.

codex_m.jpg
Yes, let's avoid unnecessary spider fighting in this forest. I have a feeling that we will have more of that than we want anyway.

You have no idea.

up21_Baldr018.jpg

Moar spiders.

up21_Baldr019.jpg

Stealth fails us when we pass another bunch...

codex_m.jpg
Fuck.

up21_Baldr020.jpg

We greet them with Color-Spray.

up21_Baldr021.jpg

Two spiders fall uncoscious, but the third one manages to wound and poison The Codex before dying.

codex_m.jpg
Noooo!

I did not expect to have an opportunity to test 'slow poison approach' so soon. I hope it works.

up21_Baldr022.jpg

And it does! A combination of luck and good timing saves The Codex' life.

codex_m.jpg
Whew!

This is a bit tricky. The Codex' divine abilities are cast much faster than their spell counterparts, but may still be interrupted. Poison damaging every second would be a death sentence, but slower ones are curable.

codex_m.jpg
I demand my cow-cure next time we visit Friendly Arm.

If I remember...

up21_Baldr023.jpg

Uncoscious spiders are easily slain.

up21_Baldr024.jpg

Even more spiders.

codex_m.jpg
Geezus fuck, I just imagined fighting all these mobs instead of passing them by.

Not a very pleasant vision, is it?

codex_m.jpg
If you forced me to to it, I would deliver you my resignation the next morning. On a tip of an arrow!

up21_Baldr025.jpg

Another group of tasloi will live to see another day.

up21_Baldr026.jpg

As will some lone wolf.

up21_Baldr027.jpg

And two dread wolves. Or are they worgs?

codex_m.jpg
Whatever.

up21_Baldr029.jpg

We pass another... Ah, no, stealth failed.

codex_m.jpg
What? FUCK!

up21_Baldr030.jpg

We run to find a better defense spot.

codex_m.jpg
Not 'run'. Retreat.

up21_Baldr031.jpg

We decide that it's enough retreating after entering sight range of even more tasloi...

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up21_Baldr033.jpg

Some time later, there are no more tasloi in the vicinity.

codex_m.jpg
Good riddance.

up21_Baldr034.jpg

Does finding this potion mean this fight was not a total waste of time?

codex_m.jpg
No.

up21_Baldr035.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm kind of tired swinging my sword around. Can we rest?

up21_Baldr037.jpg

Sure.

up21_Baldr038.jpg

We move on and meet this guy.

up21_Baldr039.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm good and strong. Well, ok, good-ish. But count me in anyway!

up21_Baldr042.jpg

'Ruffians', Aldeth spoke about are a bunch of druids leaded by Seniyad here. And they're not willing to negotiate.

codex_m.jpg
Why do you suddenly care about the plot and dialog? Let's just kill them!

up21_Baldr044.jpg

The druids summon themselves flaming swords and attack The Codex with NATURE'S WRATH. Our hero counters with Hold Person, while Seniyad is casting some other spell.

codex_m.jpg
Prepare to die, tree-huggers!

up21_Baldr045.jpg

Two druids are held. The Codex starts hacking at Seniyad immediately, but it's probably already too late to interrupt his spellcasting.

up21_Baldr046.jpg

Indeed, it was. No idea what happened. The Codex just dropped dead.

Death count: 80

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck was that?

I know as much as You do. Let's just try again.

up21_Baldr047.jpg

This time, we cast protection spells after talking to Aldeth. Mirror Image is there when druids arrive, but we're a little late with Blur.

codex_m.jpg
You won't get me this time!

up21_Baldr048.jpg

Seniyad casts his mysterious insta-death spell again. WTF.

Death count: 81

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I'm thinking that Seniyad guy needs to die first, and fast.

You may be right.

up21_Baldr049.jpg

The mysterious spell turns out to be Call Lightning. No wonder it was insta-death for The Codex with insane double damage. Here, we see it striking one of the mirror images. (Blur is also employed.)

codex_m.jpg
That was way too close!

The bad thing about this spell is that it fires another lightning every round, so we'll have plenty more opportunities for death in the near future.

codex_m.jpg
Will killing Seniyad stop it?

Maybe?

up21_Baldr050.jpg

Hold Person hits two druids. The third one and Seniyad try to melee The Codex, while lightnings strike around. Soon, all mirror images are gone.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck that shit! I'm adding druids to my extermination list, alongside that paladin infestation!

I think Lord Paco has that covered.

up21_Baldr051.jpg

We need to employ emergency mid-fight healing at one spot.

codex_m.jpg
What's with that fucker Aldeth!? Standing around, doing nothing! SOME HELP HERE!?

up21_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Enough of this! Die by the sword!

Seniyad's death marks the much needed breakthrough of this fight.

up21_Baldr054.jpg

Soon all druids lie lifeless at The Codex' feet.

codex_m.jpg
And I piss on their corpses!

Thank God, You're blurred then.

up21_Baldr055.jpg

Seniyad dropped a magic ring of some kind.

up21_Baldr056.jpg

Ring of Animal Friendship. Should be very useful in the upcoming forest areas, which tend to be full of animals.

up21_Baldr057.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Screw you, you lazy fuck! I don't want to have anything more to do with you! Be glad I don't kill you too!

up21_Baldr058.jpg

We get 2000 XP, and a potion of heroism for our trouble.

codex_m.jpg
Hardly worth the effort.

Well, XP is useless, but potions of heroism are always welcome.

up21_Baldr060.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm pretty sure Aldeth was willing to pay me more than he did. I'll just help myself to his belongings.

Good idea.

up21_Baldr061.jpg

codex_m.jpg
See? I'm sure he wanted me to have all this stuff too.

Right. Why would he leave it here otherwise?

codex_m.jpg
Exactly my thoughts.

up21_Baldr064.jpg

While heading towards the next area, we meet Coran on the bridge. He offers us participation in 'the wyvern job'.

up21_Baldr066.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I like this guy. He's a better archer than me, and that doesn't happen often. Can we keep him?

Sorry, but no.

up21_Baldr067.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Maybe some other time, then.

Is it just me, or does Coran not really look very elf-like?

codex_m.jpg
I'm actually very tolerant about elf appearance, to be honest.

Oh. Right.

up21_Baldr069.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Well, this was rather easy. Except maybe the druid part...

I wouldn't get used to that, if I were You...
-----------------------------

Next time: Spiders. And a fucking lot of them.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
ironyuri said:
Didn't someone say something about a scroll of fireball at the bandit camp?

I didn't find it. Probably missed one of the smaller tent-huts.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom