Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's walk the streets of Silent Hill (Complete !)

Yeesh

Magister
Phones without cords? What kind of insanely twisted, upside down unreality is this? What could be next, watches that don't need winding?

lightbane

Arcane
Heh, Silent Hill's "evil dimension". Although alternate realities aren't new, at the time Silent Hill 1 was out few games did randomly teleport you to an incredibly fucked-up place with lots of blood, gore and disturbing stuff. Unfortunately, as it was bound to happen the idea got old and was copied in other games (examples: Condemned's "mindfuck sequences" (althought that game was good), Sanity's Requiem too I think and others).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Who the hell is this Leonard Rhine and what is this monster that lurks ? Oh well, we'll probably find out eventually...

Code:
Chapter X :

ooo.          8                o                     
8  `8.        8                                      
8   `8 .oPYo. 8 o    o .oPYo. o8 .oPYo. odYo. .oPYo. 
8    8 8oooo8 8 8    8 Yb..    8 8    8 8' `8 Yb..   
8   .P 8.     8 8    8   'Yb.  8 8    8 8   8   'Yb. 
8ooo'  `Yooo' 8 `YooP' `YooP'  8 `YooP' 8   8 `YooP' 
.....:::.....:..:.....::.....::..:.....:..::..:.....:
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The men's room held some surprises, how about the ladies room ?

14m5llc.jpg

Bah, nothing. Let's get out... the fuck ?

264nkhc.jpg

This doesn't look like the same corridor we were before, where are we dammit ?

jt52le.jpg

The second floor ? This "other" school keeps playing tricks on us. Oh well, it seems that from here we can only search the men's room of the 2nd floor, let's do it.

1581sw5.jpg

Well, Hello there ! Handgun bullets AND shotgun shells. Now we can use our new toy, but since we have only a few shells, we better save them for later. For now I think we'll head over the second floor the normal way...

2isf3tz.jpg

The classrooms here are filled with motherfucking monsters that keep gangbanging us.

23m7o6t.jpg

Giant cockroaches and satanic children jump out of the shadows, but in the end we are victorious...

2eodst2.jpg

Beyond the metallic walls we make out hanged bondaged figures. Beyond them, there's only darkness.

333jslt.jpg

We decide to enter the locker room.

2qjetnc.jpg

:CLANK:

DAMN. The same metallic banging can be heard again. It's like we're in a looping dream that keeps getting worse...

2n21yed.jpg

It comes from the same locker...

262bblk.jpg

Oh god, let's hope that all hell doesn't break loose...

10qbgio.jpg

easy now...

be ready for anything...

gun held tightly in hand...

OK,

let's...

OPEN IT !

34jf4hf.jpg

:x

Bastards. All this tension for nothing. Not even a little Chtulhu baby, or something...

30rtk7m.png
Well, in this case I'll have to say that nothing is better than something...

Oh shut up. Let's leave this joint.

2iw25fr.jpg

:SLAM:

YIKES !!

x5nhuw.gif

Bastards.

The bandaged corpse almost fell on Harry and certainly succeeded in scaring the shit out of us. What's that on the floor ?

vxgp41.jpg

30rtk7m.png
It's a key. The label reads "Library reserve".

Library reserve, eh ? Let's check our map.

8vt2eo.jpg

Next stop, the library.

2l8vqmb.jpg

11r5447.jpg

We search through the titles...

oiaj5g.jpg

Bingo !

21o8nzn.jpg

The Monster Lurks said:

...Poltergeists are among these.
Negative emotions, like fear,
worry or stress, manifest
into external energy with
physical effects.

Nightmares have, in some cases,
been known to trigger them.
However, such phenomena do not
appear to happen to just anyone.
Although it's not clear why,
adolescents, especially girls,
are prone to such occurrences.

Hmm, maybe this sheds some light onto things... but now we have more questions than answers... Is this the manifestation of someone's nightmare ? Is harry sucked in someone else's nightmare, or is it his own ? Could this be Cheryl's nightmare, or someone else's entirely ?

Bah, let's check out the rest of the books, maybe we'll find some answers there.

20uv4vn.jpg

Hmm, this one looks interesting...

f56exe.jpg

...But upon meeting his opponent,
he held back taunting,
"Who's afraid of a reptile ?"

At this, the furious lizard hissed,
"I'll swallow you up in a single bite !"
Then the huge creature attacked,
jaws opened wide.

This was what the man wanted.
Calmly drawing his bow, he shot
into the lizard's gaping mouth.

Effortlessly, the arrow flew,
piercing the defenseless maw,
and the lizard fell down dead.

30rtk7m.png
This is from an old fairy tale. I remember reading it as a kid.

More riddles, more gibberish... Fuck this, let's go out and stomp on some cockroaches to clear our head.
Hmm, the eastern classrooms are locked...

ru5vg5.jpg

We reach the stairs that go to the roof. We decide toclimb them.

2ypdytz.jpg

More wheelchairs... what's the meaning of all this ?

95v89h.jpg

In the "normal" school this door was barred, let's see if anything has changed...

orjnm8.jpg

It sure has, the roof is now accessible.

2j198r5.jpg

The same symbol we saw on the schoolyard's floor adorns the wall...

eb1l5g.jpg

Figures in stray-jackets, entangled in barb wire stand between us and the pitch black horizon...

30rqjqg.jpg

We spot a patch of blood on one side.

29ntgnr.jpg

30rtk7m.png
I think I see something inside the vent...

2r2ygyh.jpg

If it's a key, then we absolutely must have it. Hey, theres a valve here, are you thinking what I'm thinking ?

t65frr.jpg

30a6j4g.jpg

You bet we do.

2a9v607.jpg

2zohkyw.jpg

o082ut.jpg

Hmm, don't we have a devilishly pink rubber ball ?

v4aq2s.jpg

1z69xzo.jpg

Fits perfectly. And now, as we turn the valve...

4t8wzr.jpg

5ebi3a.jpg

We close the valve and check the drain again.

2re08m1.jpg

Fuck yeah ! Now we should go down to the courtyard and search for the key-

30rtk7m.png
Wait a minute... That strange amulet I found in the convenient store... it seems to be emitting a faint pulse...

Huh ? Let's a look at it...

mt1f87.jpg

20uy79c.jpg

take that spekkio, it works !

Yeah, What ?

vi3d4h.jpg

2h704fb.jpg

The fuck ?

312y5aw.jpg

2rlzs03.jpg

Things are getting stranger and stranger.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Mrowak said:
Stupid ass question - do monsters respawn in SH1?

They better do. No good horror game without respawn. The player is not supposed to walk through the game at his leisure, there needs to be constant threat to keep him on his feet (and limited ammunition, of course).

:rpgcodex:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mrowak said:

No. Only sometimes, when a key event has happened, a couple of new monsters may appear (usually at a place you didn't expect them to be).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Cenobyte said:
Mrowak said:

They better do. No good horror game without respawn. The player is not supposed to walk through the game at his leisure, there needs to be constant threat to keep him on his feet (and limited ammunition, of course).

Actually SH doesn't rely on respawning to be scary, that's why it's infinitely better than RE games. Of course with ammunition being scarce (unless you play on easy) its advisable to dodge a good part of the enemies, especially if you're in open space. It's not hard to run out of ammo and melee weapons only work with certain enemies.

spekkio

Arcane
Resident Evil games don't have respawning enemies either. At least till RE4/RE5, but these are not RE games, so...

:roll:

Cenobyte

Prophet
ghostdog said:
Actually SH doesn't rely on respawning to be scary, that's why it's infinitely better than RE games. Of course with ammunition being scarce (unless you play on easy) its advisable to dodge a good part of the enemies, especially if you're in open space. It's not hard to run out of ammo and melee weapons only work with certain enemies.

I think it's not so much about making the game scarier, it's more about the pace. Respawn gives you a completely different time feeling, you are basically forced to rush through the levels as fast as possible. You also cannot simply stop and take a breath, you have to advance or you will be killed. That's one of the things Call of Cthulhu did very well, combined with the sanity effects of terrific things, images and monsters this really offered a unique gameplay experience. I don't know if you have played the game, but it's one of the best horror games from the last years, imho.

btw, excellent lp so far and since I haven't played any SH game so far, it's all completely new to me. So there are actually some gamers who comment here and haven't played it yet ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I loved Call of Cthulhu, but I think that the parts where it had respawning enemies were its weakest. There were some frustrating parts the game really didn't need.

That's one of the things Call of Cthulhu did very well, combined with the sanity effects of terrific things, images and monsters this really offered a unique gameplay experience.
That's what it's all about :thumbsup:

place your enemies correctly and you don't need respawns.

spekkio said:
Resident Evil games don't have respawning enemies either. At least till RE4/RE5, but these are not RE games, so...

:roll:
I had RE4 in mind actually. I did play a bit of RE1 back in the day but it didn't seem that scary to me and the english translation was rather horrible IIRC.

lightbane

Arcane
They were never scary, RE games actually are incredibly campy, with villans increasingly inane, a magical virus that can turn you into a zombie in a few hours or in 2 seconds or even give you superpowers depending of the writer's whim, ilogical puzzles for the sake of having puzzles, poor writing (and voice-acting), poor controls... Hell, in Veronica one of the evil guys was an incredible inane guy who really loved his sister (you know what I mean) and ocasionally wore her clothes and pretended to be her.

Radisshu

Prophet
ghostdog said:
Cenobyte said:
Mrowak said:

Don't they always respawn in the town, but not in the "dungeons" (apart from after key events have occurred, like you said)?

But yeah, the SH games don't need monsters to be scary. It's all about not knowing what's around the corner, and everything just being completely fucked up when you start thinking about it (like the bizarre interior architecture of the Clock tower in a recent update).

Quilty

Magister
Just stopping by to express my appreciation for this LP. Ghostdog LPs never fail to amuse, and are a good blend of author's comments and the actual game content without the unnecessary forced lulz.

:thumbsup:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thunder killed the power supply of my main pc today, so updates may take a while. And to think that the 3 year warranty ended 1 month ago.

the old gods are against me.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
ghostdog said:
Thunder killed the power supply of my main pc today, so updates may take a while. And to think that the 3 year warranty ended 1 month ago.

the old gods are against me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

Hope it didn't scorch your harddrive. :please:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
oldmanpaco said:
gd - How often do you you get killed? A couple times an update, never, many times?
Up to now I haven't died, I've loaded a few times though, to do things differently. If you know the ropes it's not easy to get killed --except from some bosses-- but saving ammo is essential. You'll see me die a bit later, don't worry :smug:

Mrowak said:
Hope it didn't scorch your harddrive.
I think the HD is fine. The damn power supply -which was pretty pricey- is supposed to die immediately at cases like that in order to save the rest of the pc. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom