Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Elzair

Cipher
Luzur said:
wherent you a brown lass avatar last time? or was that the other LP?

In my Oblivion LP, I controlled Snails, a character from the Dungeons & Dragons movie. Is that what you are thinking about?

Elzair

Cipher
Brother None said:
So you gung cheat your way through or what, El?

I'll try to get some stuff together tomorrow. Unfortunately, all the files are on the old computer, and I haven't bothered to transfer them over yet.

Get on with it you lazy slag, you have a reputation to uphold!

wldopv.jpg

Elzair

Cipher
Alright, I have got a lot of files transferred over to my new computer, edited my character to godlike status, and made a bit more progress on level 5. I hope to have a new update ready after I wake up.

Divinity: Original Sin
well, at least we will see the journey of the avatar.

I was afraid that by cheating you were meaning skipping the whole game...

DaveO

Erudite
The first Ultima Underworld game is a bit unforgiving to mages, especially on a certain level. Congratulations on making it as far as you have!

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima Underworld I Part 4: Knights & Trolls

Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss

Part 4: Knights & Trolls

Sorry for the long wait. It is now time to delve into the depths of level four. We are almost halfway done now!

uwi0532.png

I meet a new lizard.

uwgraylizardman.png
Stranger, greetings.

uwmale3.png
Who is thy leader?

uwgraylizardman.png
Of Iss'leek you seek. Look in east of our dwellings.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee. I must leave now.

uwi0533.png

I now head up the stairs.

uwi0534.png

I then find some nice loot.

uwi0535.png

Well, it looks like the seer won't be needing this stuff anymore!

uwi0536.png

I find an additional runestone.

uwi0537.png

uwoutcast.png
Hail, stranger. 'Tis indeed a rare pleasure to encounter a new face amongst the denizens of the Abyss. What hast brought thee hither?

uwmale3.png
I must prove I am innocent of a kidnapping.

uwoutcast.png
A terrible crime, indeed. I would fain believe thou art innocent of suchy, for thy face has honor in it. Thou dost wear it like few I have beheld in my many years in the Abyss. May I help thee in any way?

uwmale3.png
Why art thou here?

uwoutcast.png
Like thee, I was injustly accused of killing a man. I swear to thee I never struck him. I merely held him down while my brother kicked him. He should not have treated our sister as he did. And only a weak man could perish from such a slight injuries.

uwmale3.png
Indeed, Almric's justice is a blind archer, oft missing the mark.

uwoutcast.png
In sooth, thou speakest with a wisdom beyond thy years, frined. What I wouldst now give to teach that tyrant Almric a lesson about justice and honor! I would deal him a buffeting that would leave his heirs dizzy for generations to come. Would I could aid thee more, friend, but I know little. I have heard tell that a maiden is held captive near Cabirus's quarters far below. Perhaps the Knights could tell thee more.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of these Knights.

uwoutcast.png
There is much tension on this level of the Abyss. The Knights inhabit the western area, and a pack of Trolls live in the eatern reaches. Even while Sir Cabirus was alive, there was an uneasy peace between them. After Cabirus' death, there was some strife, as each group attempted to gain power over the other, but these days there is relative peace. Perhaps the greatest danger in this area now is Rodrick, known as the Chaos Knight. He lives by the old banquet hall to the north. He is the foe of both the Knights and the Trolls, but neither has been able to defeat him yet. I hear that Dorna Ironfist has put a price on his head.

uwmale3.png
Hast thou heard news of a captive virgin in the Abyss?

uwoutcast.png
I have heard there is to be a human sacrifice in Cabirus' old quarters on the lowest level. In their search for some new advantage over the trolls, the Knights explore more widely than I. Mayhap they can tell thee more. Still, be careful, lest thou become the next casualty in hteir senseless battle with the trolls.

uwmale3.png
Hast thou heard of a princess?

uwoutcast.png
A Knight told me that a maiden's body has been found in the lower levels. It may be the Knights can tell thee something, for they travel more of the Abyss than I.

uwi0540.png

uwoutcast.png
Hail Stranger. What unhappy accident brings thee to the abyss?

uwmale3.png
I am attempting to rescue a girl.

uwoutcast.png
Survival alone is an ambitious goal in the Abyss. Thou art a brave soul indeed if thou aspirest to aught beyond that.

uwmale3.png
Yet, with thy aid, my chances might improve.

uwoutcast.png
I have little urge to seek trouble. I have outlived many in the Abyss by having the good sense to keep myself out of harm's way. Thou wouldst be wise to do the same.

uwmale3.png
Canst thou tell me anything that might aid me in my quest?

uwoutcast.png
If thou but venture northward, thou shalt soon come across a pond so thick with fish thou couldst walk across without getting thy boots wet. I can give thee my spare fishing pole, if thou dost need it.

uwmale3.png
I do need one. Thank thee kindly.

uwoutcast.png
May thy casts be ever fruitful.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee, and thine too.

uwi0541.png

I find a fishing pole nearby.

uwi0542.png

I make my way to the western part of the map where the Knights of the Crux reside.

uwi0543.png

uwderek.png
Hail, stranger. Be thou a warrior?

uwmale3.png
Sometimes. When I needs must be.

uwderek.png
Assuredly thou art a kindred spirit. An' thou prove valorous, I shall bid thee join my order.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee, I accept.

uwderek.png
If thou wishes to become a Knight, thou shouldst go to the south of our domain and talk to Dorna, our leader. Trust him during thy initiation, and all should be fine. Join our order and help us in our quest for honor.

uwmale3.png
I shall seek him out. Farewell.

uwi0546.png

uwdoris.png
If thou wishest to become a Knight, thou shouldst go to the south of our domain and talk to Dorna, our leader. Trust him during thy initiation, and all should be fine. Join our order and help us in our quest for honor.

uwmale3.png
I shall seek him out. Farewell.

uwi0548.png

I head to the main office.

uwi0554.png

This is Dorna Ironfist, the leader of these knights.

uwdornaironfist.png
Greetings! I am Dorna Ironfist, leader of the Knights of the Order of the Crux Ansata. Who art thou?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair.

uwdornaironfist.png
Good day to thee, Elzair. Why hast thou come here?

uwmale3.png
I seek to join thy Order.

uwdornaironfist.png
Thou wishest to join the Knights of the Crux? Very well, thou must answer my questions to the best of thy ability, and I shall judge whether thou art worthy of admittance into the order. Identify thyself, so I may know whom I query.

uwi0550.png

As you might have guessed, the third option is the correct one.

uwmale3.png
The poor son of my mother.

uwdornaironfist.png
That is plain! Art thou willing to sacrifice thy life to join our Order?

uwi0551.png

uwmale3.png
Yes, I am.

uwdornaironfist.png
And dost thou submit to our Justice?

uwmale3.png
Indeed, I do.

uwdornaironfist.png
Very well. Thou hast earned death by coming here, and thou shalt have thy reward. Here is a cup, which bears within it a venom both swift and deadly. Take it and drink it!

uwmale3.png
Very well.

You take the cup. Within it is a clear, odorless liquid. You raise it to your lips and ...

uwmale3.png
Drink it in a draught.

The taste of it is like pure water. You wait for several moments, and nothing happens. Then a voice cries out in mourning and a funeral dirge plays.

uwdornaironfist.png
He who drank from the cup is now dead. In his place stands Elzair, Esquire of the Order of the Crux Ansata. Tell me, wert thou afraid?

uwmale3.png
Yes.

uwdornaironfist.png
Good! To know fear is the first step to knowing Valor. Thou art a Squire of this Order. Thy quest is to find the writ of Lorne, a document written by one of the first Knights who settled this order in the Abyss. The document was written during the early years of the Colony, and it contains much knowledge of that time. However, it is now gone, though many suspect it is in the troll homeland. Seek it, and when thou returns here with it, a knight of our order thou wilt become.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee. Canst thou tell me aught of Cabirus' Talismans? They are also my quest.

uwdornaironfist.png
Precious little. They numbered eight, and Cabirus did intend them to go each to one of the Leaders of the eight groups who settled the Abyss. Alas, he perished, and all eight were lost. 'Tis said they were a Book, bottle of Wine, a Shield, a Sword, a Taper, a Standard, a Cup, and a Ring. Each was imbued with the potent power of a single Virtue, and 'tis said they confer Virtue bot in the seeking and the finding. I know only of the Taper and the Standard. The Taper of Sacrifice was stolen from us only recently, and we know not of its current whereabouts. As for the Standard of Honor, it is said that it is awaiting one who would perform a sufficiently honorable deed.

uwmale3.png
Farewell, Brother, and thanks!

I can now speak to the other knights more fully.

uwi0555.png

uwcecil.png
Welcome, Squire Elzair. I am pleased to see that thou art striving to become one of us. How can I help thee?

uwmale3.png
Hast thou any knowledge that would aid me in my journey towards Knighthood?

uwcecil.png
As a fellow Knight, I would be happy to help thee. If thou dost use blunt weapons, the mantra KOH will be of use.

uwmale3.png
I will try this mantra at the earliest opportunity. Hast thou any information about the writ of Lorne?

uwcecil.png
I hear that it lies in the area of the Trolls.

uwmale3.png
I shall seek it there. Good day.

uwi0556.png

uwmeredith.png
Welcome, Squire Elzair. I am pleased to see that thou art striving to become one of us. How can I help thee?

uwmale3.png
Hast thou any knowledge that would aid me in my journey towards Knighthood?

uwmeredith.png
As a fellow Knight, I would be happy to help thee. Chanting the mantra FAHM will make thy arrows fly true.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee for thy help.

uwi0557.png

That looks interesting.

uwi0558.png

uwderek.png
I am Derek, a knight and a worker. Who art thou?

uwmale3.png
Elzair, an aspiring knight.

uwderek.png
Ah, the adventurous life is not for me. I am content to remain here and work at my craft.

uwmale3.png
What is thy craft?

uwderek.png
I carve gems and work metals. It is hard and tedious work, especially with poor tools, but I am content with it nonetheless.

uwmale3.png
Would this item help thee?

uwi0561.png

uwderek.png
Ah, that's no ordinary tool, but a true work of art befitting an Avatar! I can't take it from thee.

uwmale3.png
No, I insist - take it.

uwderek.png
That is too kind of thee. I cannot tell thee how much it will help me in my work. Thou hast demonstrated much humility by' giving away this artifact - it is only right that I tell thee of the Ring of Humility.

uwderek.png
There is a room in the northwest portion of the level below us. There you will find four switches. Flip them in this order: northwest, southeast, northeast, and southwest. Be careful to stay out of the middle of the room. Farewell then.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0563.png

uwmeredith.png
I welcome thee to the last bastion of civilization in the Abyss, traveler

uwmale3.png
Thou dost relieve my fears, for I thought civilization gone.

uwmeredith.png
It has been thy misfortune to travel through the other levels of this wasteland, and I am not surprised thou dost think that. However, we still abide by the dreams of Cabirus and the eight virtues.

uwmale3.png
I thought all had abandoned Cabirus' dream.

uwmeredith.png
No! We work still to bring about a return to the days of the Abyss' glory. There is hope yet if the races of the colony will believe again in the virtues and in each other. Unfortunately, I think there is little hope. Most of the dwellers in this colony have forgotten what little they may once have known about its purpose. Even the most stalwart believers now doubt. No one remembers the virtues any more. It is a sad situation. Why, several months ago, someone came from above and stole one of the greatest treasures remaining from Cabirus' days.

uwmale3.png
What was stolen?

uwmeredith.png
We lost many small things, mostly from storage. All of our torches and lanterns were taken. A few items of food, but mostly light sources, actually. Quite odd. The grave loss was that of the Taper of Sacrifice, though. It was created by Sir Cabirus himself and imbued with virtue. We placed it in our shrine where we kept a vigil over it. There it remained for three years. But one day a man arrived at one of our guard posts. He ranted and raved, but we let him in, as common courtesy dictates, of course. He started running about and grabbing candles and such. We were all too shocked to respond. Then he grabbed the Taper itself and ran off. By the time we were in armor and ready to give chase we had lost him. A tragedy it was.

uwmale3.png
I believe that I have found this Taper.

uwmeredith.png
It is in thy possession e'en now? Could thou please show it to me?

uwi0564.png

uwmale3.png
Very well, here it is.

uwmeredith.png
Ah! To see the taper again, this is good indeed. I thank thee for the chance to see the taper again. Now that thou hast found it, it is right that thou dost keep it. Thou wilt find that the light it produces is quite steady for it continually sacrifices of itself to produce light for thee. Cabirus imbued it with virtue, however, and although it consumes itself constantly to provide light, it is continually replenished as well.

uwmale3.png
I shall keep it then, and keep it safe.

uwmeredith.png
Good luck to thee.

uwi0565.png

uwi0566.png

It is nice that they threw in a random mention of a Britannian city to help make this feel more like an Ultima game.

uwi0567.png

uwderek.png
Welcome, traveler How can I help thee?

uwmale3.png
How did your order come to the Abyss?

uwderek.png
We came here from Jhelom. The fairest town in Britannia, that I can say with certainty. Been to them all, I have, and none compare.

uwmale3.png
It is certainly a fine town.

uwderek.png
The colony of the Abyss was an achievement unparalleled in recent times. Eight cultures mixing in one environment, and getting along splendidly. We had some banquets that were spectacular, I tell thee. They rivaled the best of parties that even Jhelom could offer. We would all gather just to the northeast of here in the banquet hall. We would stay up all night -- though of course it is hard to tell down here -- and recount tales of our homelands, our rituals, and our friends. Now all we do is fight for food and space. Truly the death of Cabirus was the death of the Colony of the Stygian Abyss. Still, we try, for it is all we can do to honor his legacy and dream.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of the sights of this level.

uwderek.png
Ah, yes, this area is wonderfully designed. We created much of it ourselves, with some help from the artisans of Minoc and the Mountainfolk. There are many regions of interest. Although the Abyssal colony has only existed a short time, it is filled with wonders to match any found in Britannia.

uwmale3.png
Canst thou tell me of these wonders?

uwderek.png
In the northeast corner of this level is the Puzzle of the Bullfrog, made by a Mountainfolk craftswoman who had a love of frogs. To the northwest is the Maze of Silas, a stone worker and lover of deceptive walls. Beyond the maze is the door of precious levers, which opens the gateway to the resting place of our order. There is a water-filled area to the west of the Abyss' volcanic core. The waterfall is something to see.

uwmale3.png
Tell me about the Puzzle of the Bullfrog.

uwderek.png
Past the puzzle in the northeast there is an entrance to the tombs below. To reach the entrance, one must traverse an area surrounded by water, It is said that by using the levers and buttons in the area, one may create a safe path to the other side. It has been years since the puzzle was created, though, and its solution is now lost. The only clue I know of is that the wand found there will restore the puzzle to its pristine state.

uwmale3.png
Tell me about the Maze of Silas.

uwderek.png
The maze of Silas is now infested with pests and littered with debris and bones, but there are said to be other things in the maze as well -- hidden chambers and items of some value. The locations of these chambers and items are unknown now, however, so what they contain I cannot reveal to thee.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of the door of precious levers.

uwderek.png
The puzzle of precious levers is beyond the maze. Although the members of our knighthood will no be specific, it is believed to be in a concealed area. The puzzle itself was built to guard the stores of the old government of the Abyss. Now, however, not one of us could tell thee what lies beyond the closed door. The workings of the levers are not understood but 'tis said that their secrets can be gleaned through careful examination of the artifacts of our order. I have not the patience for such research, but perhaps one who does will solve the mystery.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of the watery area.

uwderek.png
Near the volcano's shaft is a set of falls leading to two pools. One pool is very hard to reach, at least from our domain. But 'tis said it is simple to get there from the Lair of the Lizard-Folk. Would that one among us could speak their tongue and learn the easier route. The second pool is in a secluded spot near a fishing run south of the Abyss' central shaft.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of the Trolls.

uwderek.png
They are indeed a vicious and dangerous race. I would call them indecent, but that was not Cabirus' way, and I strive not to make it mine. They are, truth be told, honorable in their own way. Only a few of them still cling to any shreds of the Abyss' purpose, though. Some have reverted to their natural, combative state. They are monsters, and powerful ones, at that.

uwmale3.png
How can one pass through their realm safely?

uwderek.png
Thou needst not fight continually to survive their realm. In the south, where the main meeting hall of the Trolls used to be, there are still Trolls who respect Cabirus' purpose. They can tell thee more of the realm. Beware the Dark Trolls - they are more powerful even than the normal ones. Also beware the northern parts of their realm, for they have been invaded by spiders, headlesses, and worse. These monsters will provide enough trouble, so don't attack Trolls unless they attack thee first. Thou wilt have enough trouble staying alive without picking fights.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee for thy time.

uwderek.png
My pleasure.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0568.png

uwi0569.png

Wow! Another Ultima reference!

uwi0570.png

In the north part of the headquarters are some grave stones.

uwi0571.png

uwi0572.png

uwi0573.png

uwfemale2.png
Lo fair person. Here we are in the ruins of what was once a great civilization, ruined by greed, despair, and pain.

uwmale3.png
That sounds horrible. What happened?

uwfemale2.png
In better times thou wouldst have seen our true glory. The splendor of our domain and righteousness of our cause were great indeed. But alas, the environs have changed and the walls have fallen down, the just have been silenced by the desperate, and not even the strongest among us can hope to rebuild what Cabirus wrought.

uwmale3.png
What was it like before?

uwfemale2.png
It was wonderful. We would visit the ceremonial hall every day. Sometimes we would go below and challenge the Golem to a test of might. There were marvelous banquets. The Mayors of towns throughout Britannia would come to marvel at our achievements. Now none can survive the dangers of this place long enough to reach us.

uwmale3.png
A test of might?

uwfemale2.png
A Golem resides on an island surrounded by lava in the land of the Seers. We would take our swords and shields, leap onto the island, and battle the Golem. It was indestructible, but honorable and valorous Though it could not be destroyed, it would congratulate thee if thou didst fight well. If thou wert good enough it would sometimes reward thee.

uwmale3.png
The Seers live below, correct?

uwfemale2.png
Yes. If the Golem still exists, he would be there.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0574.png

Before I leave the safety of the compound I decide to get some information from the library.

uwi0575.png

uwi0576.png

uwi0578.png

uwi0579.png

uwi0580.png

uwi0581.png

uwi0582.png

uwi0583.png

I head out the back-entrance and find the ankh shrine.

uwi0584.png

A little way to the north is another knight.

uwdoris.png
Greetings, brother. What is thy name?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair.

uwdoris.png
I am Biden, and pleased to make thy acquaintance. Sir, Thou art a member of my order. Thou too dost strive to uphold the ideals of honor espoused by our order. Thou dost understand the virtues and understand the ways of knighthood. Please listen to my tale.

uwmale3.png
I would be happy to hear thy story.

uwdoris.png
'Tis not a happy story, Sir, but I shall tell it all the same. Sir Rodrick was once a member of our order, but abandoned the principles of our order and now calls himself the Chaos Knight, terrorizing the entire northern area. Since to attack one with many would be dishonorable, our leader picked me to defeat him in single combat. When I reached the old banquet hall to the north, I was suddenly attacked by Rodrick, who leaped from a ledge above me and took me off guard. He attacked relentlessly, and although my own blows did little to slow him or curb his apparent anger. He taunted me continuously as we fought, and would not listen as I attempted to reason with him.

uwmale3.png
How did the battle finally end?

uwdoris.png
After several minutes I was bleeding from several wounds and thinking my time was up. In desperation, I flung my sword at him. He blocked it easily, but the distraction allowed me to run from him. So that is my story. I can not return to my home until I have eliminated Rodrick and restored our order's honor, but it will be some time now before I am capable of fighting. So I wait here, far from the Trolls and other pests, gathering my strength before I head off again.

uwmale3.png
Thou art going to attack him again?

uwdoris.png
I'd give the rest of my right arm for a chance to take that rogue on again. He'd find out what sort of Knight I am.

uwmale3.png
Let us join forces to defeat the villain.

uwdoris.png
I should get well first, for I would not wish to be a burden on thee. If thou dost meet the rogue and defeat him, it would not only bring great honor to thee but also perhaps save my life.

uwmale3.png
I will seek him out.

uwi0587.png

Down the steps is Rodrick's hall.

uwi0589.png

I find some loot in the corner.

uwi0588.png

This is Rodrick.

uwmale5.png
Ha! Another has come to be defeated by the Chaos Knight! Very well, let us see how quietly I can slay thee.

He kills me very quickly. It looks like I need to gain more mana and better spells.

uwi0590.png

I head to the eastern part of the level.

uwi0591.png

uwi0592.png

Here is some more loot I find.

uwi0593.png

Uh oh! I also find a mysterious note here.

uwi0594.png

uwi0595.png

It looks like this message is important.

uwi0596.png

Yay! I leveled-up!

uwi0598.png

I now enter the lair of the trolls.

uwi0599.png

Fortunately for me, it is peaceful.

uwtroll.png
What you doing here?

uwmale3.png
Canst thou tell me any news?

uwtroll.png
Ghouls live below us. They disgusting.

Okay, talking to unnamed trolls (or simply talking to unnamed NPCs in general) is a waste of time.

uwi0600.png

uwtroll.png
Who are you? I not seen you before.

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair.

uwtroll.png
All sounds very confusing. Mind I call you Rodriguez?

uwmale3.png
If thou dost insist.

uwtroll.png
Whatever you say, Rodriguez. What I do for you?

uwmale3.png
Canst thou let me through this door?

uwtroll.png
I open door? Yes, I could. You want me to?

uwmale3.png
Yes, please.

uwtroll.png
Maybe I open door if you give me something.

uwi0601.png

I give him a red gem.

uwtroll.png
Oh, I like! Thank you! Door open now. You happy?

uwi0602.png

Inside is another shrine and a note.

uwi0604.png

It is the Writ of Lorne! I take it back to the Knights of the Crux Ansata.

uwi0606.png

uwi0607.png

uwdornaironfist.png
Greetings, Squire Elzair! How didst thou fare in thy quest?

uwmale3.png
I have succeeded! Here is the writ.

uwi0607.png

uwdornaironfist.png
Thou hast done well; thy quest is accomplished. Well done!

uwdornaironfist.png
Now Thou art Sir Elzair, Knight of the Order of the Crux Ansata. Take thou this helm of plate, worthy of a Knight. Would that we had a horse to give thee as well, for 'tis proper for a Knight.

uwmale3.png
How else may I serve the Order?

uwdornaironfist.png
The order once owned a golden plate. Years ago it was stolen by a thief who I will not even describe, for he is not worth the time it would take. He fled into the maze and was not seen again. Since then, it was rumored to have been found several times. The last rumor placed it at the grave of Sir Ingvar. Find i and thou wilt rise even further as a Knight.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee. Until we meet again.

uwi0609.png

Kick ass!

uwi0610.png

uwmeredith.png
It is a pleasure to see thee again, Knight Elzair How goes thy quest?

uwmale3.png
Canst thou help me to find the plate?

uwmeredith.png
It is said that Rodrick, the dreaded Chaos Knight, holds a key thou needst Behind him lies a maze with many secret places.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee for thy help.

:rage:

I now explore the northeastern section of the level.

uwi0613.png

Fortunately, this troll is mellow.

uwlakshilongtooth.png
Knight ventures into our domain without drawn weapon? You brave.

uwmale3.png
I need some information from thee.

uwlakshilongtooth.png
Maybe. You ask question, I answer.

I don't know what to ask him about right now.

uwi0614.png

uwsetharstrongarm.png
A human! When I was younger, I beat up many humans like you. A fine troll I was!

uwmale3.png
Thou still dost seem very powerful to me.

uwsetharstrongarm.png
Thank you, you nice human. Ah, those were days. Lots of glory, nice treasure. How I happy with simpler things.

uwmale3.png
Like what?

uwsetharstrongarm.png
Oh, I would love wormy stew. My mother she made it when I just a little troll? You have any.

uwmale3.png
No. How is it made?

uwsetharstrongarm.png
Hmm ... I no remember. I know you use dead rotworm. My mother knew, but she dead. Maybe someone else. Oh, that stew delicious!

uwmale3.png
I will seek out someone who knows the recipe.

uwi0615.png

I encounter a hostile troll down below, so I snipe him with lightning bolt and magic missile. Here is some loot I find.

uwi0616.png

uwi0617.png

uwi0618.png

uwi0621.png

uwi0622.png

It looks like he never made it.

uwi0623.png

IDIOT!

I now head back to level 3 to do one last job.

uwi0626.png

I use the small yellow key to unlock the doors in the southern part of the level.

uwi0630.png

Inside I meet the head bandit.

uwmale2.png
What art thou doing here? Leave now before I call the guards.

uwmale3.png
Can we not discuss this?

uwmale2.png
I have nothing to discuss. Please deal with my underlings first before thou dost continue to bother me. Go now.

uwmale3.png
Goodbye.

uwi0631.png

I now head for the pit that I drained of water last time.

uwi0633.png

I kill a spider.

uwi0635.png

Then I kill a ghost.

uwi0638.png

I find a shrine and a healing fountain.

uwi0639.png

I then find the blade of that sword the dwarf guy was talking about (I will look it up later). I head back down to level 4.

uwi0641.png

Tune in next time for level 5, where we face-of with the undead! Woooooooooooo!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
uwi0592.png

See the ring in the picture? You should...nay, MUST equip the ring. :P

I'm not gonna reveal what it does, you'll find out soon enough.

Andhaira

Arcane
an't wait until you start U7 Elzair!! My fave Ulima and my second favorite crpg of all time.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima Underworld I Part 5: It's a thriller!

Part 5: It's a thriller!

Welcome back. Before we start, I just wanted to point out that DOSBox ate some of my screenshots for this one, so I will have to describe a lot of it.

uwi0642.png

This place looks like a crypt. I sure hope there are not ghoulies around.

uwi0645.png

Fortunately, it is a friendly ghoul.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Who be you?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair. Who art thou?

uwmarrowsuck.png
Huh. Me Marrowsuck, the tailor.

uwmale3.png
A tailor? Thou art a Ghoul, art thou not?

uwmarrowsuck.png
You think ghoul no make good tailor?

uwmale3.png
No, I'm sure thou art an excellent tailor.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Me very good tailor What you need?

uwmale3.png
What hast thou in my size?

uwmarrowsuck.png
Me got some little stuff, look like your size. Here.

uwi0646.png

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0647.png

uwshanklick.png
Why you here?

uwmale3.png
I am exploring the deeps of the Abyss.

uwshanklick.png
Hmm. You out exploring? You not look like Knight of the Crux or Seer of Moon. They go exploring. Looks like maybe you one of them Outcasts from near great door. But they weak-willed and cowardly, don't go exploring. Where you from?

uwmale3.png
Actually, I am a Knight of the Crux.

uwshanklick.png
New night, hah? You must be on quest. What kind of quest you on?

uwmale3.png
I seek the Talismans of Sir Cabirus.

uwshanklick.png
Gifts Cabirus was going to give out? That long time ago, before we was even Ghouls. Me not hear of them talmans since crazy wizard talking 'bout justice come and seal off tombs.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of this wizard.

uwshanklick.png
Ghouls used to live in tombs, lots of food there. After big collapse, crazy wizard come here, talking 'bout justice. He throw us out of tombs. Said ghouls no care about justice so we no could live there anymore. He put part of sword in tombs too, I think.

uwmale3.png
Where are the tombs of which you speak?

uwshanklick.png
Tombs north and east from here. Long time since me there. Entrance used to be left of big eastern corridor, but wizard hid it and we no can find now.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee. Farewell.

uwi0648.png

Well, I am certainly not stepping out there!

uwi0650.png

uweyesnack.png
Who you? Me now see live human here in long time.

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair. Who art thou?

uweyesnack.png
Me Eyesnack. What you doing here?

uwmale3.png
Eyesnack. That is a peculiar name.

uweyesnack.png
Not peculiar as Elzair. Get name from favorite food. Is tradition. Me like eyes. They small and tasty, easy to carry around, good to eat.

uwmale3.png
Er .. I see. Didst thou say anything about humans?

uweyesnack.png
Me see humans here long time ago before collapse. Before Ghouls even exist. We all just humans then.

uwmale3.png
What dost thou mean, before Ghouls exist?

uweyesnack.png
When collapse happen, food get scarce fast. Bunch of us who work here before collapse live off bodies in tombs. Start to like them better than other food. Other humans call us ghouls. Pretty soon we call selves Ghouls. Later we kicked out of tombs, move here.

uwmale3.png
What was thy job here before the collapse?

uweyesnack.png
This place was catacombs. People come to state hall for funeral, then march through catacombs and make tomb for dead guy. Me play flute at funerals. Long time ago.

uwmale3.png
Thou didst play the flute?

uweyesnack.png
Yeah, me musician. You surprised Ghoul can be musician? Me musician before me Ghoul. Me play in state hall for Cabirus all the time.

uwmale3.png
What didst thou play for Cabirus?

uweyesnack.png
It was great. Me play all kinds stuff. Me play "Mardin's Song of Wonder" lots of times. Was Cabirus' favorite spiritual. Said that you play it in right place, wondrous things happen. But no one knew place.

uwmale3.png
Really? How did it go?

uweyesnack.png
You got flute? Me teach song to you.

uwmale3.png
No, I do not.

uweyesnack.png
Okay, get flute and me teach you song.

uwi0651.png

uwkneenibble.png
Hey, human. What you do here, far from home?

uwmale3.png
I am travelling the depths of the Abyss.

uwkneenibble.png
Should no bother exploring Abyss. Not much to see now - just people try to survive. Used to be lot going on, before collapse.

uwmale3.png
What didst thou do before the collapse?

uwkneenibble.png
Me have important job before collapse. Me operator of mine dispatch chamber. Only one who know combination for dispatch unit.

uwmale3.png
What does the combination do?

uwkneenibble.png
Need combination to use chamber. Why would me give you combination to chamber?

uwmale3.png
What dost thou want?

uwkneenibble.png
Me want fish. Bring me ten fish, me tell you combination.

uwmale3.png
I shall return with fish. Farewell.

I leave the ghouls behind and explore more of the crypt.

uwi0652.png

So this is what a hostile ghoul looks like, eh? It is not too hard. In the southeast corner of the level I find a crypt.

uwi0653.png

There is a dire ghost inside, and once I get in, I don't know how to get out.

uwi0654.png

That is nice, but I am looking for a flute.

uwi0655.png

I could not get past this fight because I kept running out of mana.

Eventually, I rested back to full strength, but then the dire ghost won't show up except with a ghoul in tow. After that I just said "fuck it" and trained my way into a godlike character.

uwi0657.png

uwi0658.png

Nice! I wonder what is in the book?

uwi0659.png

It's just another mantra. Moving on.

uwi0665.png

I now come across a lone mage.

uwjudy.png
Tom? Is it thee?

uwmale3.png
I'm sorry. I am Elzair. Who is Tom?

uwjudy.png
Ah, Tom, he was me Tommy-boy. Gone he is and now only I am left. Nevermore shall I see his face this side of Paradise. Nor am I even able toremember it, not a'all.

uwmale3.png
What happened to Tom, that thou dost wait here?

uwjudy.png
He and I were walking here, down by the lava. Tom was t' ask his

master, Lord Cabirus, t'bless our marriage. He just gave me this ring, "A hole of gold", he says to me, "wit a plug of fair flesh."

uwjudy.png
An' then one o' them headless creatures came runnin' in, and brave Tom WOULD fight wi' it. The both of them went into the lava! Ah, me Tom! And I have sat here these long years. Some o' the folk nearby take pity on me, bring me things to eat. But nary one will stay and watch wi' me for my Tom.

uwmale3.png
I will sit with thee.

uwjudy.png
Ah, nay, thou'rt very kind, but I'm sure an important person such as yerself has better to do with thy time. If it's helping me thou wouldst like, bring me word of me bonny Tom.

uwmale3.png
Very well. Good day to thee.

On a ledge I find a ragged scroll.

uwi0667.png

This should be handy (even though I have not gotten it to work).

NOTE: I lost the screenshots for most of the rest of this update, so it will be highly text-based.

uwi0681.png

Eventually, I come across a mage named Anjor.

uwdominus.png
Greetings, traveler. What brings thee to an area of the Abyss as perilous as this? Art thou upon a quest, as I myself am?

uwmale3.png
What is thy quest?

uwdominus.png
Many years ago, I began research into methods for turning lower metals into gold. During the course of my research, I discovered a new and better method that depends on a particular, very rare substance. I quest to find more of this substance.

uwmale3.png
Why is this method so much better?

uwdominus.png
When I started, existing methods required a great many reagents to operate, and could produce only a fraction of an ounce of gold for each pound of lower metal. The new method requires a much smaller quantity of reagents and produces much more gold. However, the principal reagent is rare, and I have been able to locate only trace amounts of it.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of this substance.

uwdominus.png
It is a blue rock-like mineral called zanium. The only samples I have found have been on this floor of the Abyss in tunnels with rough-hewn walls. I believe there is a mining area in the southwest where there may be larger deposits, but I cannot gain access to it.

uwmale3.png
How is the mineral collected?

uwdominus.png
Zanium has the property of being self-attractive. Deposits near the surface can be collected merely by walking over them while carrying a sample. In an underground environment such as this, if there is zanium present, there is likely to be some near the surface. Thus, in a sense, it is collected automatically.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of this mining area.

uwdominus.png
I do not know much. There is a small room in the southwestern region that is labelled "mine dispatch chamber." There appear to be some controls, but I know not how to operate them.

uwmale3.png
Is there anyone who would know about the controls?

uwdominus.png
Now that thou dost mention it, yes, there is one who may know something. One of those frightful ghouls in the catacombs used to be foreman in the mining sector. No ghoul has spoken to me since I killed one of them in self-defense. Perhaps thou couldst assist me?

uwmale3.png
What assistance dost thou need?

uwdominus.png
If thou couldst talk to the miner ghoul and discover how to operate the dispatch chamber, I would be most grateful. In addition, if thou wouldst enter the mining area, brave its dangers and collect at least eighty samples of zanium, I would reward thee with a large golden nugget created from lead.

uwmale3.png
I will bring thee the zanium.

uwdominus.png
Wouldst thou? Thou art indeed a kind soul! Take this small sample. Carry it through the mine, and it shall attract more of its kind.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

Kneenibble knows the dispatch code. She wants me to bring her ten fish before she will tell it to me.

uwi0668.png

I finally find the mine dispatch chamber, but I don't know the code to operate it.

I continue exploring the level and find a lute on the body of a bard in the large room in the northern center of the map.

I then head up to level four, pick-up Oradinar's fishing pole that he said I could use, and catch ten fish in the watery area in the southwest part of the map.

uwi0588.png

While I am there I pay Sir Rodrick, the Chaos Knight, another visit and kick his ass. I find a key on his body that opens up a secret door to the left of him. I then navigate a small labyrinth and solve a crazy button puzzle to retrieve the golden plate for the Knights of the Crux Ansata. I then head through the secret door to the right of Rodrick's (former) location, use levitate to bypass another stupid lever puzzle, take some stairs down to the tomb area on level five, and find the hilt of the Sword of Justice.

I then head back up to level four and give the golden plate to Dorna, the head of the knights.

uwdornaironfist.png
Thou hast killed the bastard knight who held the north of our home to be his. I thank thee for bringing honor back to our order and clearing the villain from our homes. The action thou hast taken has proven that thou art most worthy. To reward thee for thy deeds, I offer thee the Standard of Honor, one of the Talismans fashioned by Cabirus.

uwmale3.png
My thanks. I am honored indeed to bear it.

Dorna turns and rummages through a large iron case, returning soon with a golden standard which he gives to you.

uwdornaironfist.png
Here it is. Bear it with honor and remember those who bore it before thee. Honor their memory with thy deeds, for the deeds thou hast already done honor thee in our memory.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee, and shall take thy words to heart.

Sweet! I have another one of the artifacts of Sir Cabirus!

uwi0639.png

I then head up to level three to grab the blade of the Sword of Justice. While I am there, I speak to Ssetharee about freeing Murgo.

uwi0499.png

uwgreenlizardman.png
Tosa sel'a zekka? (You give food?)

I give it six legs of mutton.

uwmale3.png
Here it is.

uwgreenlizardman.png
Isili thesh tosa! Tosa yeshor'click! Tosa eppa isili! (I like you! You friend! You help me!)

uwmale3.png
Thank you. Goodbye.

Murgo is now free. This should pay off later.

uwi0404.png

I then head up to level two to see if the blacksmith Shak can reforge the Sword of Justice.

uwmale3.png
I have something that is in need of repair.

uwshak.png
Ah, 'tis a find sword there, lad. I'm afraid it's seen better days, though. Dinna fear, I'll make it whole for ye again. But I must charge ye 20 gold pieces for such fine work, paid when you pick it up.

uwmale3.png
Very well. Here it is.

uwshak.png
Aye, a beauty, this Caliburn. I'll have her right for ye, soon enough. Come back in an hour, and don't forget the 20 pieces of gold.

uwmale3.png
Excellent. I shall see thee then.

A short time later.

uwshak.png
There ye are, all fixed now! A beauty, she is, and good as new. Well now, do ye have the 20 gold pieces ye owe me for the work?

uwmale3.png
Yes, here thou art.

Shak hands me the sword.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee. Thou hast done more than thou knowest.

I now head up to level one to get the recipe for Rotworm Stew from Lanugo.

uwi0133.png

uwmale3.png
Ah, here is a gift for thee. ( I give him ten gold coins).

uwlanugo.png
Tanks! Th'art right enough, fer a human. Tell that wat -- if that talks to da boss, be real like complimennary. He likes dat.

uwmale3.png
I'll take that under advisement.

uwlanugo.png
Sure ting. hey gotta go. Time fer me ta start dinner. Y'wanna stay? S'worm stew, tonight. Me specialty.

uwmale3.png
Worm stew?

uwlanugo.png
Aye, me modder used ta make it. Tha takes a rotworm, chops it up fine, and marinates it in port wiv mushrooms. Here. 'Tis all writ down on this.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee kindly.

So now I need to find the ingredients. I know I have a bowl on level four, and I find a mushroom wandering about the halls of level one.

uwi0669.png

I swipe a jug of port from the outcast hideout. I then head back down to level four.

uwi0670.png

I put all the ingredients into the bowl.

uwi0671.png

Yuck! I give it to Sethar.

uwtroll.png
Hello, you again! You bring wormy stew for me?

uwmale3.png
Yes, here it is.

uwtroll.png
Oh, wormy stew, just what I love. Here, take dragon scales. Maybe they help you not get hurt when you go hot places, just like dragons.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

I now wander about level four some more.

uwi0672.png

This is a room where I need to operate some switches at various elevations. I could use a pole to reach them from a distance, but I use levitate. I then head down to level 5 and see Marrowsuck, the ghoul tailor.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Good see you again! How you be?

uwmale3.png
I need thy skills as a tailor.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Let me see what you got to work with.

uwi0673.png

uwmale3.png
How is this?

uwmarrowsuck.png
Me can make dragonskin and ironsilk thread into boots for you. Why me do that for you?

uwmale3.png
Ah . . . Dost thou require payment of some kind?

uwmarrowsuck.png
Me want food for my work. Just about anybody will do. Maybe a Goblin. Green ones be tender.

uwmale3.png
Very well. I shall pay thee in food, although it may not be a goblin.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Okay. Give me dragon scales and thread and then me make boots.

uwmale3.png
Very well. Here the yare.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Okay. Come back in half hour with food and me give you boots.

uwmale3.png
Excellent. I shall return then.

I wait a while.

uwmarrowsuck.png
Okay, me make boots. You got food to pay?

uwmale3.png
Here you are. (I give him three apples.)

uwmarrowsuck.png
. Okay, here your boots. So long.

I equip the flame-resistant boots and wander around some more.

uwi0674.png

Huh?

uwi0675.png

I find the Ring of Humility in a chamber in the northwest. To see it, I have to flip the switches in the order: NW, SE, NE, SW. I then head back to the mine dispatch chamber.

uwi0677.png

I turn the switches to this order (as Kneenibble told me) and pull the lever. This opens the chamber that teleports me into the mine.

uwi0678.png

Inside the chamber I find a scroll of Gate Travel.

uwi0679.png

Inside the mine I just have to walk through all the corridors (I automatically pick-up the zanium) while fighting off ghosts.

uwi0680.png

I leave via the exit corridor and return to Anjor.

uwdominus.png
Hast thou found eighty samples of zanium?

uwmale3.png
Yes, I have.

uwdominus.png
Excellent! May I have them please?

uwi0682.png

uwmale3.png
Here they are.

uwdominus.png
I thank thee kindly. Return in an hour and I shall give thee a gold nugget the size of which thou canst but imagine.

A while later.

uwdominus.png
Here is thy reward. I thank thee again.

uwi0683.png

It is now time to head down to level six. Until next time!

DaveO

Erudite
Both Underworld games as well as the Worlds of Ultima are games that I felt were worth playing through and not really that tedious to complete. Sometimes screenshots and descriptions aren't enough to give you the full experience.

Silellak

Cipher
I loved Underworld 1 when I first played it as a youngin', but I haven't played it since. I'm also pretty sure I had a hint book with me the whole time.

I never got very far in Underworld 2 though, for whatever reason.

Glad to see this LP continues! Keep fighting the good fight with your updates, General Elzair. :salute:

Elzair

Cipher
I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally beat the game. Three chapters should be coming in the next few days. I am off to bed now; I have a test tomorrow.

Silellak

Cipher
Elzair said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally beat the game. Three chapters should be coming in the next few days. I am off to bed now; I have a test tomorrow.
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

:love:

(no homo)

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima Underworld I Part 6: School Days

Part 6: School Days

uwi0684.png

Well, this level certainly looks cheery.

uwi0685.png

I assume this is a good thing.

uwi0686.png

uwshenilor.png
Hail, stranger! Hast thou come to enroll in the Academy?

uwmale3.png
The Academy? I was not aware of such an institution.

uwshenilor.png
I am not surprised, for the Academy is now closed, and few remember its days of glory. 'Tis a pity that thou wert not here when Sir Cabirus was still alive. The Abyss was a thriving settlement, and our Academy was the center of it. Nobody seems to be interested in the higher arts any longer, though.

uwmale3.png
But I am! Canst thou assist me in my search for knowledge?

uwshenilor.png
It is possible that in the old library of the Academy thou mayst be able to find some useful information. But be careful - many monsters inhabit the Academy these days.

uwmale3.png
Where is the library?

uwshenilor.png
Enter the great hall of the Academy and head west. The library will be on thy left. Perhaps some of its books, and the knowledge contained therein, are still intact.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee.
uwi0687.png

Get of my lawn, you young whipper-snappers! Now let's talk to the other mages.

uwi0688.png

uwdominus.png
Ah, 'tis a new face I see. I imagine that thou hast managed to find many a strange object on thy journey to these depths.

uwmale3.png
Yes, I have collected a few.

uwdominus.png
Well, I would be willing to identify some of thy items for a small fee.

uwmale3.png
I will return if I need thy services.
uwi0690.png

uwfyrgen.png
Aaah! What's that? ... Oh, thou didst startle me. I was in the midst of a vivid dream, having just used some incense. I had a terrible vision of a great demon.

uwmale3.png
What didst thou dream of this demon?

uwfyrgen.png
It was horrible! The demon is more powerful than thou canst imagine. I do not think he can be defeated by any motal.

uwmale3.png
Thou speakst as if it were real, not in a dream.

uwfyrgen.png
This was no ordinary dream, but one dreamt after burning incense. Incense causes one to have vivid dreams, and they are always true in some way. Simply pass a block of incense over a torch to produce the smoke which, when inhaled, will cause one to dream. If my dream was of a demon, then some demon is threatening us.

uwmale3.png
Is there nothing that can be done?

uwfyrgen.png
According to my dream, the demon is too powerful to be killed by any mortal. It would have to be forced into leaving this world by some other means. I hope it can be done!

uwmale3.png
If I meet a demon, I will keep thy advice in mind.
uwi0691.png

uwmorlock.png
Hail to thee, bold traveler. I am Morlock.

uwmale3.png
What canst thou tell me of thy people?

uwmorlock.png
Well, I can tell thee that one of my comrades, the mage Bronus, has need of thy services. Deliver to me an object of his, and thou shalt be rewarded.

uwmale3.png
Perhaps I shall run across him.
uwi0692.png

uwdrowl.png
Ah, it is the one who hast freed my servant Murgo! Thou'rt more compassionate towards thy fellows than I might expect. Thy reward shall be fitting. Thou canst find the Wine of Compassion in the checkerboard room to the east of the meeting hall of the Academy. Lift the southeastern floor tile and the Wine shall be revealed.

uwmale3.png
While I am here, dost thou know of any runestones I can find?

uwdrowl.png
Perhaps I can help thee after all, but first I will need to see thy runebag.

uwmale3.png
Certainly. Here it is (gives runebag)

uwdrowl.png
Ah, yes. A budding mage, indeed. I suppose thou wouldst like to have a Flam runestone?

uwmale3.png
Surely.

uwdrowl.png
Here thou art. I wish thee luck in using it.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee kindly, Dr. Owl.

uwdrowl.png
Very well, very well. Now get on with thee!
uwi0693.png

I use Telekinesis to press this button.

uwi0694.png

I get a scroll of Gate Travel and a wand.

uwi0698.png

I have no idea what to do here. I cannot talk to the ghost, but it is non-hostile and has a name.

uwi0699.png

Well, let's see what is behind this door ...
uwdoor.png
So! Another young fool opens a door thoughtlessly. Open, close, open, close, that's all that anyone ever has the time for. Things were not like this when I was thy age, I can assure thee of that! Well? Hast thou anything to say for thyself?

uwmale3.png
Excuse me . . . art thou really a door?

uwdoor.png
What do I look like a drawbridge?

uwmale3.png
Thy point is made. How didst thou come to be a door?

uwdoor.png
I once was a young human like thyself. But I grew weary of the regular fold and their immense stupidity. I was a brilliant mage, and was constantly pestered with silly questions, such as "how does one cast Sheet Lightning?" Tiring of being hounded thus, I turned myself into a door in order to finally enjoy some peace and quiet. Obviously, it didn't work.

uwmale3.png
Now that thou dost mention it, how does one cast Sheet Lightning?

uwdoor.png
Gaah! I cannot believe thou wouldst ask that of all questions! I should have know better than to mention that accursed spell. If thou must know, it is cast by using the Vas, Ort and Grav runestones. There. I hope that thou blowest thyself up with it.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee kindly, wise door.

uwi0700.png

uwdelanrey.png
Ah, hello here. Art thou a mage, as I am?

uwmale3.png
Yes, I consider myself to be a mage.

uwdelanrey.png
Then I am sure thou wouldst be interested in my research. I am exploring the properties of mantras and shrines.

uwmale3.png
What hast thou found?

uwdelanrey.png
It was long thought that the shrines of the Abyss served only to increase one's ability at some skill. But I have found that this is not necessarily the case. Apparently, some mantras exist that will produce objects, or dispense information.

uwmale3.png
What mantras are these?

uwdelanrey.png
I have not been able to discover any specific mantras with these properties. However, it is said that there is a mantra which will direct one to a powerful object. The mantra has been divided into three parts, which must be reassembled to produce the original word. The tale is from long ago, so I know not its veracity.

uwmale3.png
Hast thou knowledge of any other mantras?

uwdelanrey.png
Sadly, I have no further knowledge of individual mantras. I hope that my research has been of some use to thee, however.

uwmale3.png
It certainly has. I thank thee kindly.

uwi0701.png

uwillomo.png
Hello, adventurer. Hast thou seen my friend Gurstang?

uwmale3.png
No.

uwillomo.png
That's too bad. I wonder what happened to him. I hope that he has not been killed, or worse!
uwi0702.png

uwnilpont.png
I see thou art an adventurer. Art thou here searching for a Golem?

uwmale3.png
What is this Golem thou dost speak of?

uwnilpont.png
The Golem was created by the Seer Corwin at the Knights' request as a test of valor. No Knights have come down to test themselves against him for quite a while now, but they used to frequently. I belive that a suitable prize awaits the one who can defeat him.

uwmale3.png
I'm sure I can defeat him!

uwnilpont.png
Thou canst find him by heading west from the central chamber as far as thou canst and then turning left. He's on the island surrounded by lava. Be warned - he is quite tough.
uwi0703.png

uwmorlock.png
I have not seen thee in these parts before. Art thou in league with Vilus?

uwmale3.png
Vilus? I have not heard of such a person.

uwmorlock.png
Vilus used to be a Seer like the rest of us. A brilliant mage he was, but perhaps too much so for his own good. While exploring a method of casting powerful magic without runestones, he was overtaken by insanity.

uwmale3.png
And where is he now?

uwmorlock.png
Whether he be alive or dead, I know not. He took over the caves to the northeast, filling them with vicious creatures and devious traps. No sane person ventures there any longer, least of all myself. Wilt thou run an errand there for me?

uwmale3.png
What wouldst thou have me do?

uwmorlock.png
Vilus took a powerful book from the Library and failed to return it. It is named "On the Properties of Runestones." Return it to me and I shall teach thee to use thy magical abilities to their fullest.

uwmale3.png
It is as good as done.

uwmorlock.png
I thank thee greatly. Good luck on thy travels.
uwi0704.png

uwdelanrey.png
Ho, adventurer! I have been looking for one like thee. Hast thou made the acquaintance of an adventurer known as Zak?

uwmale3.png
Indeed I have. He lives with the lizardmen.

uwdelanrey.png
I am glad to hear that! Perhaps I will be able to retrieve my candelabra from him now.
uwi0705.png

bronus Hello, adventurer. I have a book I must deliver to my fellow mage Morlock, but i have not the time to give it to him in person. Wilt thou take it to him for me?

uwmale3.png
It would be my pleasure.

bronus This book contains very powerful magic that is meant only for Morlock. Thou must promise not to open it.

uwmale3.png
Yes, I promise.

bronus. Here is the book. Please give it to Morlock, and remember not to open it!
I just have to try.
uwi0706.png

Oops! I reload and deliver it straight to Morlock.
uwmorlock.png
Hello again. Hast thou an object for me?

uwmale3.png
Yes, here it is.

uwmorlock.png
Ah! Thou hast brought my book! Excellent! Thou art Elzair, art thou not?

uwmale3.png
Aye, that is my name.

uwmorlock.png
I was simply goint to reward thee for bringing me my book, but now I hear that thou hast met and slain the fearsome Fire Hydra. That eight-headed monster has long menaced our peacable folk. Well done! thou hast earned an even greater reward!

uwmale3.png
I beg thy pardon. I slew no such beast.

uwmorlock.png
Thy honesty is commendable, and thy reward shall be the Book of Honesty. As Honesty and Truth are beyond Time, thou shalt find it by the key behind the hourglass.

uwmale3.png
What can thou tell me of this Book?

uwmorlock.png
The book was one of Sir Cabirus' Talismans. 'Twas written by Ravenhurst of Moonglow, who collected great works of honesty and essays upon Truth. It hath great power, both intrinsically and for the wisdom contained therein.

uwmale3.png
Well, I thank thee. I shall be off to retrieve it now.
uwi0707.png

It's time to go see this golem.

uwi0709.png

uwgolem.png
Hold, puny mortal! I am thy doom!

uwmale3.png
So sayest THOU!

uwgolem.png
I am what I was made to be - the greatest warrior in Britannia. If thou be not of mighty valor, turn back now and no shame will come of it. Else, prepare to meet thy doom.

uwmale3.png
And what be my reward if I succeed?

uwgolem.png
Thou wagerest thy life against a mighty talisman - the Shield of Valor. Defeat me and it shall be thine. Fail and thou shalt surely die.

uwmale3.png
Have at thee, for I fear nothing!
uwi0710.png
uwi0711.png

uwgolem.png
Hold, mortal! Thou hast bested me! Never have any shown such Valor! Surely thou shouldst be the master of the Shield!

uwmale3.png
Thou art a noble opponent. I give thee thy life. Farewell.
I now have the Shield of Valor! Now, let's find the Book of Honesty and the Wine of Compassion.

uwi0712.png

I find this on a cliff overlooking the golem.
uwi0713.png

Sweet! With these fire-resistant boots I can walk in lava!

uwi0738.png

I find the Book of Compassion in a key-shaped room somewhere in the western part of the level.

uwi0714.png

This is the Academy library. Let's peruse the books.

uwi0715.png
uwi0716.png
uwi0717.png
uwi0718.png
uwi0719.png

Something tells me the top book will be significant in some way.

uwi0720.png
uwi0721.png
uwi0722.png
uwi0723.png

That is all the books. Let's search for the Wine of Compassion.

uwi0724.png

This place is crawling with slugs! (Get it?)

uwi0725.png

Sheet Lightning cleans it up a bit.

uwi0727.png
uwi0728.png
uwi0729.png
uwi0730.png

uwi0739.png

I find the wine under the southeast tile in a checkered room. I have only one more talisman to find. It is now time to get the book for Ranthru.

uwi0731.png

Unfortunately, it has one nasty guardian.

uwi0732.png
mask-smokin.jpg
uwi0733.png

Sanct Flam to the rescue!

uwi0734.png

This is a weird room!

uwi0735.png

As you might have guessed, this is a tougher version of the normal ghoul.

uwi0736.png

I return the book to Ranthru.
uwmorlock.png
Ah, 'tis thee again. From a distance I mistook thee for one of Vilus' servants. Hast thou fond "On the Properties of Runestones" for me yet?

uwmale3.png
Yes, here it is.

uwmorlock.png
Marvelous! I hope that it was not too much trouble to retrieve it. He snaps his fingers and you are briefly bathed in a blue glow.

uwmorlock.png
There, thou shouldst find that thy spellcasting skills are greater now.

uwi0740.png

It is now time to descend to level seven. See you next time!

Elzair

Cipher
Please bump this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom