Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3D made RPG's SHIT!

tunguska

Liturgist
aries202 said:
You don't know that in DA you can right-click to move?

On the map? I could swear that I tried that. Not that it matters that much since most maps have a monster darkspawn every 10 meters or so.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reconite said:
And in Fallout 3, instead they have less dialogue (in this case I'd say it's good because it was so badly written anyway), less choices, all player-questions leading to the same answer and shitty voice acting on-top of all of that.

Less choice is better in fallout in general because all the quests are functional at best and :x at worst. And Beth is no exception. Nothing gets my blood boiling more than reading a Todd Howard interview where he explains how they cut out stuff that (at least to me) sounds better than what they left in (like rebuilding kvatch with player input and letting you join the elder council in Oblivion).

Zeit

Educated
deus101 said:
3D does not really cost more to produce.... in fact in some way it cuts overhead.

Then again all i do is program the damn things...If i find out 3D modelers get paid more then me I'll beat them with my super bible.

Hey look! Another fucking dumbass. What are the odds? OK dip shit. If 3D doesn't cost more to produce, then why do modern development teams have more artists than ever? Also, why do modern development teams employ more artists than any other type of developer? Yeah, you are a fucking retarded waste of human tissue. Fuck off and die.

You program shit. Fucking dip shit.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Zeit said:
deus101 said:
3D does not really cost more to produce.... in fact in some way it cuts overhead.

Then again all i do is program the damn things...If i find out 3D modelers get paid more then me I'll beat them with my super bible.

Hey look! Another fucking dumbass. What are the odds? OK dip shit. If 3D doesn't cost more to produce, then why do modern development teams have more artists than ever? Also, why do modern development teams employ more artists than any other type of developer? Yeah, you are a fucking retarded waste of human tissue. Fuck off and die.

You program shit. Fucking dip shit.

TrollollolollOOLL lololo lolol loooo :smug:

But seriusly...

Zeit

Educated
deus101 said:

But seriusly...

A troll that knows more about development than a self proclaimed "programmer". Just because your mom sucked your dad off, spit his juice into her hand, and than quickly rubbed it into her vagina doesn't mean you are a human being. Now go program yourself out of existence fuck shoe.

tunguska

Liturgist
The problem with sprites is you have to do a separate drawing for every view angle (which means at least six) and then I assume additional drawings for each animated movement. If you want to change one thing about your character you have to redraw all of those bitmaps. That's a lot of artwork. Although traditional artists do find that stuff easier and more natural. In 3d, you create a polygon model in an app like Maya or 3D Studio Max, export it to zbrush or mudbox for fine detailing, make some UV maps with Headus UVlayout, and do some finishing touches in photoshop. If you need to change or refine something you just go back into Maya and move some vertices around. Of course all of that stuff takes talent, but then so does making bitmap drawings for your sprites.

deus101

Reconite said:
I think the demand for fully-voice acted games is what made RPGs shit.

In Fallout 1/2 there's quite a lot of dialogue, so many choices and things you could ask, and great voice acting for a few characters.

And in Fallout 3, instead they have less dialogue (in this case I'd say it's good because it was so badly written anyway), less choices, all player-questions leading to the same answer and shitty voice acting on-top of all of that.

AGREED!

There is also an interesting paper that touches on this subject...
http://differentgaming.blogspot.com/200 ... t-get.html

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Zeit said:
Hey look! Another fucking dumbass. What are the odds? OK dip shit. If 3D doesn't cost more to produce, then why do modern development teams have more artists than ever?

Because image quality has increased drastically. If you tried to reproduce a modern game and use nothing but 2d assets it would take eons to complete. With 3D you just make the model and animate it. With 2d you either need to make every single frame by hand or make a 3d model and take a picture of it in every position you need (which is a lot of frames if you want to get decent animation). 2d will also end up taking up a lot more hard drive space. And I'm not anywhere near a professional programmer's level but I've tinkered with game programming enough to say that 2d art is a nightmare to work with from that angle as well unless you're not having much (if any) animation in your game. That might work for a roguelike or a highly abstracted tactical game, but not much else.

Zeit

Educated
Mastermind said:
Zeit said:
Hey look! Another fucking dumbass. What are the odds? OK dip shit. If 3D doesn't cost more to produce, then why do modern development teams have more artists than ever?

Because image quality has increased drastically. If you tried to reproduce a modern game and use nothing but 2d assets it would take eons to complete. With 3D you just make the model and animate it. With 2d you either need to make every single frame by hand or make a 3d model and take a picture of it in every position you need (which is a lot of frames if you want to get decent animation). 2d will also end up taking up a lot more hard drive space. And I'm not anywhere near a professional programmer's level but I've tinkered with game programming enough to say that 2d art is a nightmare to work with from that angle as well unless you're not having much (if any) animation in your game. That might work for a roguelike or a highly abstracted tactical game, but not much else.

FALLOUT 1:
Art

Art Director Leonard Boyarsky
Lead Artists Jason D. Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, Gary Platner
Artists Robert Collier, Michael Dean, Tramell Ray saac, Eddie Rainwater, Scott Rodenhizer, Sharon Shellman
Additional Art By Peter Kroko, Justin Sweet, Joseph Cesario, Cheryl Austin, Jay Christopher Esparza (Tachyon), Geoff Gregor, Arlene C. Somers, George Almond, Erik Jamison, Helena Wickberg, James Doyle (Apples Animation)
Clay Modeller Scott Rodenhizer
Conceptual Artist Anthony Postma
Additional Programming By Mark Harrison (Lizard Byte), John D. Price, Chris DeSalvo, Mark Murakami
Lead Programmers Timothy Cain, Chris Jones
Programmers Jesse Reynolds, Kevin Weatherman, Nick Kesting, Robert Hertenstein, Jesse Heinig, Jason Taylor
Mac Programmer Tim Hume
Movie Technology Paul Allen Edelstein
Installer / Autoplay Darren L. Monahan

FALLOUT 3:
Concept Art Adam Adamowicz
Additional Concept Art Craig Mullins
Special Effects & Gore Grant Struthers
World Art Andy Barron, Hope Adams, Noah Berry, Cory Edwards, Tony Greco, Daniel T. Lee, Nathan Purkeypile, Rashad Redic, Megan Sawyer, Ryan Sears, Clara Struthers, Rafael Vargas, Robert Wisnewski
Additional World Art Todd Broadwater, Miles Burrell, Matthew Carofano, Cory Dornbusch, Greg Kline, Ryan Salvatore
Character Art & Animation Ben Carnow, Jangjoon Cha, Hiu Lai Chong, Jonah Lobe, Gary L. Noonan, Dane Olds, Juan Sanchez
Additional Character Art & Animation Liz Beetem, Christiane Meister, Hugh Riley, Massive Black, Liquid Development
Illustration Natalia Smirnova

Programming Brendan Anthony, Shannon Bailey, Jonathan Bilodeau, Erik Deitrick, David DiAngelo, Joseph DiAngelo, Joel Dinolt, Michael Dulany, Chris Esko, Scott Franke, Ricardo Gonzalez, Ahn Hopgood, Mat Krohn, Mike Lipari, Brian Robb, Joe Romano, Jeff Sheiman, Jean Simonet, Dan Teitel, Orin Tresnjak, Craig Walton, Jay Woodward
Additional Programming Joshua Andersen, Ryan Ashford, Brett J. Douville, Daniel Dunham, Paul Graber, Jason Hammett, Chris Hynes, Chris Innanen, Ryan Lea, Jeff Lundin, Nathan Nordfelt, Casey O'Toole, Dariush Samari, Jeff Ward

Hey look, more artists and more programmers needed to develop the 3D engine!

tunguska

Liturgist
Zeit said:

They would have had even more artists for a 2d project with the same art quality. OTOH, it would almost certainly have looked better. Bethesda has never been able to do 3d to save their lives. Maybe they'll figure it out on their next project, but so far I am not impressed. I bet Oblivion would also have looked better in 2D. But it would have been a hell of a lot of work.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
moron said:
Did you even read what I said?

If you tried to reproduce a modern game and use nothing but 2d assets it would take eons to complete.

Fallout 1/2 are not 2d reproductions of Fallout 3 you dumb fuck. For them to be 2d reproductions they'd have to play and look exactly the same as Fallout 3, only instead of using 3d assets they would use 2d assets (which means every single possible frame in the game would need to be created or photographed by hand). If you're too much of a dumb fuck to see how much easier it is to produce EQUIVALENT 3d graphics then there's no helping you.

Nevermind that Beth didn't program any 3d engine, they bought the rights to the Gamebryo engine which Fallout 3 uses. Modern games need more programmers/artists because they're bigger and the graphics are higher quality, not because they're 3d.

deus101

Zeit said:
deus101 said:

But seriusly...

A troll that knows more about development than a self proclaimed "programmer". Just because your mom sucked your dad off, spit his juice into her hand, and than quickly rubbed it into her vagina doesn't mean you are a human being. Now go program yourself out of existence fuck shoe.
What is the thing called, the data structure you use to hierarchically divide up 3D objects in the space...you know where the structure itself is the sum of all the objects ..I'm such a shit programmer i can't tell...please help.

Oh, 3D don't really have that effect, if it still was 2D they still could have spent thousands of money on artists and voice actors.

What you can do with a 3D engine is to easily form the tools ready...and it was actually 3D engine i was thinking on, not the need of the jews to make every game into a interactive hollywood blockbuster.

but yeah.... :thumbsup: you actually did you part.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
GarfunkeL said:
Mastermind said:
Relayer71 said:
3D did not make RPGs shit, 3D + REAL TIME COMBAT did.

Yeah, bg2, torment and morrowind are all real shit. :smug:

BG2 and PST are 2d and Morrowind is shit, except for alien landscapes+art.

My comment was in reference to the real time combat.

deus101

aries202 said:
-eh-

You don't know that in DA you can right-click to move? As for the combat, I agree, it is really, really -ehm- not well done.

You have to select an enemy by left-clicking, then right-clicking to attack, unless, you want to use a special abaility...

And you do know that you can pause the game? between ordering people around...?

As far as the 3D goes, I'll have to agree with you. It is now, 10 years after isometric 2D were in full bloom, 3D is functioning well...in games...

I did mention that with the tactical click bit...having to tilt the camera and click click click all the time aint really fun.

And yes...i know that i can micromanage, but still i would like to have to rely attleast on some basic scripting without everything going out of control.

tunguska

Liturgist
deus101 said:
not the need of the jews to make every game into a interactive hollywood blockbuster.

Still butthurt that the nazis lost WWII you fucking skinhead trailer trash piece of shit? So who is Jewish in this conspiracy of yours? Chris Avellone? Feargus Urquhart? Or maybe you were thinking of Robert Altman, the CEO of Bethesda. Got bad news for you. None of them are jewish. Looks like you are going to have to blame cross worshippers for this one.

Zeit

Educated
tunguska said:
Zeit said:

They would have had even more artists for a 2d project with the same art quality. OTOH, it would almost certainly have looked better. Bethesda has never been able to do 3d to save their lives. Maybe they'll figure it out on their next project, but so far I am not impressed. I bet Oblivion would also have looked better in 2D. But it would have been a hell of a lot of work.

Too bad the data doesn't support your claim. Here's another Low graphics game:(Not how few artists it has)
Senior Animator Steve Gilmour
Senior Animator Larry Stevens
Senior Animator Henrik Vasquez
Senior Designer David Gaider
Technical Animator Ryan Blanchard
Technical Artist Russell Rice
Technical Artist Alex Scott
Art Director Matthew Goldman
Artist Jono Lee
Artist Sherridon Routley
Artist Jason Spykerman
Animator Mark How
Director of Art Dave Hibbeln
Lead Animator Tony de Waal
Lead Artist Dean Andersen

See what I mean? Stupid fucks like you don't know shit about dick and then try to edumafcate other stupid fucks about how shit works. GO fuck yourself and die. You don't know a fucking thing about a fucking thing. Fuck nail!

deus101 said:
What is the thing called, the data structure you use to hierarchically divide up 3D objects in the space...you know where the structure itself is the sum of all the objects ..I'm such a shit programmer i can't tell...please help.

Oh, 3D don't really have that effect, if it still was 2D they still could have spent thousands of money on artists and voice actors.

What you can do with a 3D engine is to easily form the tools ready...and it was actually 3D engine i was thinking on, not the need of the jews to make every game into a interactive hollywood blockbuster.

but yeah.... :thumbsup: you actually did you part.

God damn you are fucking stupid as fuck. I could randomly ask a child questions and they would know the answer while you would be pretending to be a "programmer" still. Fuck off you fucktastical piece of shit!

deus101

Dude...why do you try to keep up apparency?

Is your life so devoid..i mean...how much time are you using trying to troll?
I mean...when you have to multiquote you'd spent far to much effort to claim success.

Zeit

Educated
deus101 said:
Dude...why do you try to keep up apparency?

Is your life so devoid..i mean...how much time are you using trying to troll?
I mean...when you have to multiquote you'd spent far to much effort to claim success.

You are a fucking retard. You are getting the ignore button fuck fag!

tunguska

Liturgist
Holy shit. There actually is an ignore button. I didn't even realize that. The only problem is if I start using it at least 50% of the Codex would be ignored. But maybe that would be a good tihng.

The only way to deal with racists is to kill them. That's right. Mass exterminations. It purifies the gene pool and all that. The funny thing about racist remarks on the internet is that those same guys talking shit in their mother's basement (or in this case trailer) would never have the balls to say those things in real life. If they did they would get their ass kicked or get killed. Or more likely both. And they are too afraid of death. Bunch of chicken-hawk pussies. If you aren't a pussy or punk you'll PM me your name and address and we can settle the argument properly. Deal?

Some people are so stupid that they can't see that more artists does not mean that 3d is harder. Correlation does not equal causation. They would have had more artists either way. Better graphics = more artists. That's how it works. It doesn't matter whether the art pipeline is 2d or 3d. Either way, better graphics is more work and takes more people to do. Simple logic that anyone with an IQ above 50 could understand.

Mackerel

Augur
tunguska said:
Or maybe you were thinking of Robert Altman, the CEO of Bethesda. Got bad news for you. None of them are jewish.
Altman is jewish. He's a CEO and a lawyer, you should have known that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom